New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-12 22:38:37 Reply

Nintendo took supermario4.com for their use.

Nintendo was at one point talking about a new 2D Mario game at the same time they were finishing up on Super Mario 3D Land.

It sounds legitimate, possibly a pre E3 reveal? A fake? Thoughts?

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-12 22:48:47 Reply

I would love to see a co-op game between Mario and Luigi with Mario using F.L.U.D.D. and Luigi using the Poltergust 3000. However that's just me having wishful thinking and deep down I know that will never happen. I mean come on Nintendo can't even put Mario and Sonic together in a game right so what should I expect from the House of Nintendo?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-12 23:00:29 Reply

I dont know, it doesnt seem like it might be real, i mean one would think if they were going to make a 4th super mario bros, they would have done it by now.
If they do though, that would be awesome

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-12 23:16:37 Reply

At 4/12/12 11:00 PM, Lionelion wrote: I dont know, it doesnt seem like it might be real, i mean one would think if they were going to make a 4th super mario bros, they would have done it by now.
If they do though, that would be awesome

Sonic 4. I don't think this one will be episodic though.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 02:23:53 Reply

Well, a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS would be silly, considering that, well, every first party game on the 3DS should take advantage of the 3D in some way. But hey, I'm a sucker for the sidescrollers. As long as we get some power-ups that are as awesome as the penguin suit, I'm all for a number 4. And imagine the publicity, a game anticipated for over two decades!

BUT, I really hope this is a project far off. Mario has been worked like a dog the last few years. Olympic events, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, most recent is Mario Tennis on the 3DS, the plumber could use a moment to catch his breath, so they can focus on other nintendo characters. Speaking of which, I wonder what Retro Studios has been doing since DKC Returns? Those guys know how to restyle a good franchise

Right now, I'm looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2, and Paper Mario 3D. I hope that's it for the Mushroom Kingdom for at least a full year.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 02:40:12 Reply

Does no one remember that Super Mario World was titles "Super Mario Bros. 4" in japan? This makes me highly doubt it, but hey you never know. If they do make a new Mario 4 that would be a true sequel to SMB3 (since Super Mario World disapointed me in many ways) that would amazing.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil "This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013 "WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 16:02:22 Reply

New Super Mario Bros was for DS, then New Super Mario Bros Wii for Wii. They were both 2.5D as Nintendo calls it.

Super Mario 3D Land is already out on 3DS, and takes full advantage of the 3D.

Retro is reportedly working on a "massive" Wii U game, many guess it is a new Metroid Prime.

I all honesty, I would love to see a full 2D sprite game. It would look somewhere along the lines of Rayman Origins and Wario land Shake it. It would look splendid, and would be the true sequel to 3.

Kuribo's shoe please.
SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 20:40:33 Reply

At 4/13/12 02:46 AM, Travis wrote:
At 4/13/12 02:40 AM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Super Mario World disapointed me in many ways
How so? That game is absolutely marvelous.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really fun game, although I think the hype I got from it kind of ruined it for me. Plus comparing it to Mario 3 it felt like it dropped the ball. I didn't like that you could only keep 1 item in your inventory and that getting hit automatically released it forcing you to get it. In Mario 3 you could have 28 items in your inventory but you were only able to use them during the map screen.

Another thing that bothered me were the lack of new power-ups. Yoshi and the Cape/Feather were the only new ones. Yoshi was cool but the Cape was basically the same as Raccoon Leaf, except you could glide. Mario 3 included the Raccoon Leaf, frog suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Kuribo Shoe, and the infinite P-Wing. Plus they had items you could use on the map such as that cloud that lets you skip levels, and the music box that lets you bypass certain enemies on the map.

Also, what bothered me most was that the game was way too easy. Even Bowser gave me no trouble at all. The only challenging part was the Special Zones. Mario 3 on the other hand was pretty tough. I remember being stuck on the later half of the game for long periods of time (Worlds 5-8). Super Mario bros. 3 left a lasting impression for me, so I end up replaying it a couple times a Year. But Super Mario World felt like one of those games that I beat once and move on. To me it feels like it doesn't have any replayability.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil "This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013 "WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 20:42:20 Reply

At 4/13/12 04:02 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Retro is reportedly working on a "massive" Wii U game, many guess it is a new Metroid Prime.

I just researched it, and the only hard info right now is they're making a Wii game, and their only comment is "it's a game everybody wants us to do". This doesn't tell us much, since I think everybody who knows the name of Retro Studios wants them on a different franchise. I think the most popular one asked for is Starfox, but Miyamoto has commented that he wants to work with them sometime on a zelda game. If I had to choose, since Shigesato Itoi has abandoned the series after the hardships behind the third installment, I'd want them to make Mother 4. Released not just in Japan, of course. I know there's next to no chance of it happening, but I would be ecstatic at the news.

Back to the news of super mario bros. 4, I would support such a game with everything in sprites for the full nostalgic effect. Obviously the sprites can still look good and detailed if they tried hard enough. But above all else, give us a level editor and a way to have our friends play our levels online. If there were a super mario bros. 4 as a launch title for Wii U with a level editor, it might be the first time I'd ever buy a console on release.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-13 20:44:22 Reply

At 4/13/12 08:40 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote:
At 4/13/12 02:46 AM, Travis wrote:
At 4/13/12 02:40 AM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Super Mario World disapointed me in many ways
How so? That game is absolutely marvelous.
Another thing that bothered me were the lack of new power-ups. Yoshi and the Cape/Feather were the only new ones. Yoshi was cool but the Cape was basically the same as Raccoon Leaf, except you could glide. Mario 3 included the Raccoon Leaf, frog suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Kuribo Shoe, and the infinite P-Wing. Plus they had items you could use on the map such as that cloud that lets you skip levels, and the music box that lets you bypass certain enemies on the map.

Yes, but Yoshi came in 4 colours, normal, flying, sand stomp, and fireballs, as well as having a tongue grab. The cape had more depth to it, as you could bob up and down and body slam enemies.

Also, what bothered me most was that the game was way too easy. Even Bowser gave me no trouble at all. The only challenging part was the Special Zones. Mario 3 on the other hand was pretty tough. I remember being stuck on the later half of the game for long periods of time (Worlds 5-8). Super Mario bros. 3 left a lasting impression for me, so I end up replaying it a couple times a Year. But Super Mario World felt like one of those games that I beat once and move on. To me it feels like it doesn't have any replayability.

World had secrets though, it had branching paths that 3 lacked, giving a less linear gameplay. I liked the keys and paths to discover, it added lots of replay value.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 00:15:23 Reply

At 4/13/12 08:44 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Yes, but Yoshi came in 4 colours, normal, flying, sand stomp, and fireballs, as well as having a tongue grab. The cape had more depth to it, as you could bob up and down and body slam enemies.

And if they eat a shell of those colors they get those abilities. The cape wasn't that cool to me, I prefer the Raccoon Leaf.

World had secrets though, it had branching paths that 3 lacked, giving a less linear gameplay. I liked the keys and paths to discover, it added lots of replay value.

Secrets were cool and all but it wasn't that game changing in my opinion. It doesn't really take out that much linear gameplay, it's more of an extra thing really since you can beat the game just fine without finding any.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 00:31:08 Reply

You could basically consider any 2D Mario game that came out in between 1989 and now, SMB4.
They waited too long, this game won't have any identity.

BBS Signature
PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 10:04:12 Reply

Isn't Super Mario World technically Super Mario Bros. 4? (Well, only in Japan anyway.) So if they were to make a new 2D Mario platformer, then I would've thought they would call it Super Mario Bros. 5, or something like that.

But whatever Nintendo's doing, I hope it's going to be a new game anyway. That would be very exciting. :)

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature
Thedark
Thedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 15:22:33 Reply

well i guess that this would be cool

Newest interview with Squidbit Cheeeeeeeck it out You give up your freedom for the safety that the government promises you ~ Confucianism Sig by Asandir

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 16:28:01 Reply

lolwut

Seriously, what's wrong with Super Mario World?

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-14 16:30:14 Reply

At 4/14/12 04:28 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
lolwut

Seriously, what's wrong with Super Mario World?

Never mind, I didn't read the whole thread before posting that.

DemonicDragon93
DemonicDragon93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-15 00:54:28 Reply

At 4/13/12 02:40 AM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Does no one remember that Super Mario World was titles "Super Mario Bros. 4" in japan? This makes me highly doubt it, but hey you never know. If they do make a new Mario 4 that would be a true sequel to SMB3 (since Super Mario World disapointed me in many ways) that would amazing.

Exactly. I was just about to say that. Mario World is Mario brothers 4 in Japan. So that wouldn't make any logic sense at all with nintendo..and would end up giving this new Mario 4 a nick name like they did with Sonic the hedgehog and Sonic the hedgehog (2006)

Tired of the same old Dragonball Z Fight movies. Then check out A Goomba's life. A Sprite Style sitcom comedy. Go ahead don't be afraid.

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-15 14:05:34 Reply

At 4/15/12 12:54 AM, DemonicDragonY93 wrote:
At 4/13/12 02:40 AM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote:
Exactly. I was just about to say that. Mario World is Mario brothers 4 in Japan. So that wouldn't make any logic sense at all with nintendo..and would end up giving this new Mario 4 a nick name like they did with Sonic the hedgehog and Sonic the hedgehog (2006)

Everyone is forgetting that Mario bros 2 was actually a reskinned game Dokidoki panic. The real #2 was Called the lost levels.

johnnyshroom221
johnnyshroom221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-15 14:48:50 Reply

I always thought Super Mario World was considered Super Mario Bros 4. I think that was its Japanese title.

Still, I think it would be awesome name for the next Mario game. I miss the "Bros." in the name. But I don't really want another "New Super Mario Bros." game for a while. I love both of them to death but there's more than one way to do a 2D platformer, and I'd like some new gameplay. Oh, what the heck; if it's Mario, I'll love it.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-15 17:52:40 Reply

At 4/15/12 02:05 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 4/15/12 12:54 AM, DemonicDragonY93 wrote:
At 4/13/12 02:40 AM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote:
Everyone is forgetting that Mario bros 2 was actually a reskinned game Dokidoki panic. The real #2 was Called the lost levels.

I consider Super Mario Bros. USA (aka the american 2) the REAL Mario 2. What did lost levels even do for the series? Nothing innovative or new came from it, besides the poison mushroom. From what I've heard Miyamoto didn't even work on it but worked a little on Doki Doki Panic. I'm not really sure if it's true or not but if it is then I'm really disappointed with Lost Levels.

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-16 19:56:28 Reply

Confirmed?

A new Mario game is confirmed for an E3 reveal for the Wii U. Is this Super Mario 4, or another game entirely?

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-16 23:32:09 Reply

At 4/16/12 07:56 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Confirmed?

A new Mario game is confirmed for an E3 reveal for the Wii U. Is this Super Mario 4, or another game entirely?

Saw that, it possibly could be New Super Mario Bros Mii, but its starting to look more promising than before

sonicflare8
sonicflare8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-21 16:37:30 Reply

Well then.

Looks like people were right about New Super Mario bros. They are making New Super Mario bros 2 for 3DS. It has the racoon tail (just the tail, no Tanookis) lots of gold Mario and enemies, and it comes out in August.

Looks okay, I'm guessing this is supposedly Super Mario 4, though I would prefer detailed 2D sprites over 2.5D character models.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-21 17:44:11 Reply

At 4/21/12 04:37 PM, sonicflare8 wrote: Well then.

Looks like people were right about New Super Mario bros. They are making New Super Mario bros 2 for 3DS. It has the racoon tail (just the tail, no Tanookis) lots of gold Mario and enemies, and it comes out in August.

Looks okay, I'm guessing this is supposedly Super Mario 4, though I would prefer detailed 2D sprites over 2.5D character models.

Any new 2D Mario game from Nintendo is a godsend. They're all really good. Hopefully we'll get to see another game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I loved the four-player cooperative gameplay in that one.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod "Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-22 13:04:34 Reply

As much of Super Mario Bros 4 does sound like an excellent idea, I have a feeling the game will end up being to close or to much resembling New Super Mario Bros Wii. I don't know how they could make the game really well done and make it sort of it's own if you know what I mean.

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-22 19:57:33 Reply

At 4/22/12 01:04 PM, tyler2513 wrote: As much of Super Mario Bros 4 does sound like an excellent idea, I have a feeling the game will end up being to close or to much resembling New Super Mario Bros Wii. I don't know how they could make the game really well done and make it sort of it's own if you know what I mean.

My thoughts exactly. And there's supposedly a Mario game confirmed to be revealed for Wii U at E3 as well? This only proves the point that there are just too many dammed Mario games coming out. Especially as far as 3DS is concerned. I like the idea of making a trilogy of New Super Mario Bros. with each installment trying out new ideas (a la the original NES trilogy), but until some new mechanics are revealed about this title, I'm going to remain quite upset. Mario platformers since New Super Mario Bros. for the DS in 2006 have been identically structured except for one of them having four-player co-op. They're great games of course, but it's all more of the same.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Super Mario bros 4 (possibly) ! 2012-04-25 14:10:34 Reply

Some Info regarding New Super Mario Bros 2 is out
Its for the 3DS and its looking to be awesome