New Topic Respond to this Topic
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 4/20/12 02:29 PM, animehater wrote: I also have trouble seeing the purpose of a Canadian military other than to make some nationalists feel good. Hell maybe you guys should cut it to ribbons and let what's left (men and all) be incorporated into the U.S military, who will then be held responsible for your defense after being given those extra resources and manpower in an arrangement specifically designed to be cheaper than what you have now.

Of course that wouldn't make the nationalists too happy but quite frankly they can go fuck themselves.

you don't have to be a nationalist to be concerned for your safety. I'm a hard core cosmopolitan yet I know the dangers of letting peaceful times lull you into complacency. The thing is, you will actually cheat the people of this nation out of their hard work if you allow the country they live in to get bullied around by super powers too much. China wants our water, and we give it to them at the price THEY say it comes at. America wants our energy, and we give it to them at the price THEY say it comes at. If the word economy hurts your people, that's life, if the government, any government, is taking from your people, it is theft.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 4/19/12 01:36 PM, Elfer wrote: The Canadian military isn't really meant to pose a threat to anyone, Canada's foreign policy is pretty non-aggressive. The main functions of the military are to provide domestic security and emergency services.

If you're wondering what people in the military actually do, you could try discussing it with people who are actually in the CF.

Exactly. A giant waste of money. A giant useless waste of money.

People join the Canadian Forces for the excitement, and the military life. Most of the stuff they do is rescue missions, if you ignore Afghanistan. Bleh.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 4/26/12 07:14 PM, Gambit wrote: Exactly. A giant waste of money. A giant useless waste of money.

What is the purpose of having an military force?

AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 09:50 PM Reply

I probably shouldn't point this out, but the United States to your south are becoming increasingly unstable and militaristic and have a huge trade deficit with Canada ($ 35 billion in 2011, 78 billion in 2008).

A few more decades of recession, corruption, oil price hikes and losing the economic battle with the BRIC nations and The USA is going to start wondering why Canada and its natural resources are still a sovereign nation.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 4/26/12 07:47 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 4/26/12 07:14 PM, Gambit wrote: Exactly. A giant waste of money. A giant useless waste of money.

not having a military is like not wearing a seat belt, it's not bad until it's bad.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Thecrazyman
Thecrazyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Gamer
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 10th, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 4/26/12 07:47 PM, Camarohusky wrote:

That's simple, the purpose of having a military force is to train for war and prepare for war should war ever take place, that's the main purpose of having a military.

It's for this reason when one is in a War Zone, the Laws of Peace fall silent in the favor for the Laws of War and the Laws of War have there say on how things should really go.

1: Never forget who your enemies are.
2: Never forget who your allies are.
3: Never forget who the neutrals are.
4: If one forgets who's who, your gonna have problems.
5: Know when to turn your tail and run like heak.
6: Be at least one step ahead of the enemy when in a war-zone (for if one is several steps ahead that be very impressive).
7: One must train both physically and mentally.
8: Every advantage counts.
9: Abie by the Laws of War when on stepping forward and onward to the field of Battle.
10: When fighting for one's own country, one doesn't just fight and die for one's country, but to fight and LIVE for one's country and make the opposing enemy DIE FOR there country!!!

That said, when the Laws of Peace fall silent, the Laws of War have there say on how things should go in a war zone, what dose all this have to do with the thread "Canada shouldn't have an army"??? This is more like Canada should have a Army and these Laws of War are the big reasons why, what if Canada got struck with an alien invasion of sort? Then they need a Military to defend themselves with.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 11th, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 5/10/12 10:04 PM, Thecrazyman wrote: That's simple, the purpose of having a military force is

I know what a military force is for. I was trying to get Gambit to put her money where her mouth was. Sadly, she owned up to her French heritage and surrendered.

bismuthfeldspar
bismuthfeldspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 11th, 2012 @ 12:43 PM Reply

At 5/10/12 10:04 PM, Thecrazyman wrote: 1: Never forget who your enemies are.
2: Never forget who your allies are.
3: Never forget who the neutrals are.
4: If one forgets who's who, you're gonna have problems.
5: Know when to turn your tail and run like heak.
6: Be at least one step ahead of the enemy when in a war-zone (for if one is several steps ahead that be very impressive).
7: One must train both physically and mentally.
8: Every advantage counts.
9: Abie by the Laws of War when on stepping forward and onward to the field of Battle.
10: When fighting for one's own country, one doesn't just fight and die for one's country, but to fight and LIVE for one's country and make the opposing enemy DIE FOR there country!!!

Interesting set of rules right there. On top of enemies, allies and neutral there are those with power over you who aren't really allies but you need to do everything to please so they don't think about annexing you and when the time is right to betray them and break free from their grip.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 11th, 2012 @ 02:45 PM Reply

Have you ever heard of the free-rider principle? Basically it is where one party benefits from the resources spent by another party without paying for it. Think of it as the guy who doesn't put money into the office coffee fund but still drinks the coffee.

If enough people stop paying for the coffee there will be no more coffee.

And if you think no body hates us then you are naive. While our geography provides excellent defence (our enemies are over seas) increasingly arctic sovereignty is an issue. without a capable Navy to defend it, we will lose it.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 11th, 2012 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 02:45 PM, JoS wrote: And if you think no body hates us then you are naive. While our geography provides excellent defence (our enemies are over seas) increasingly arctic sovereignty is an issue. without a capable Navy to defend it, we will lose it.

;;;
Earlier in this thread I mentioned what we need is a REAL Coast Guard. With better more powerful , nuclear ice breakers. IMO that's what should happen to our Navy, it should be rolled into a Coast Guard & they should be armed & we need Subs for all 3 Coastlines
capable of patroling the West Coast 3 - 4 Subs for the East Coast as well as a couple for the Arctic. Instead of a bunch of small warships that fill in Nato task forces for Nato stuff. We go with Coastal DeFense / Rescue ships like the small tribal class destroyers we used to have. Instead of Major military/Coast Guard Bases, have the ships deployed up & down our coastlines, Canada has the longest Coastline in the World.
Depending on what resource you use & whether they round it off etc. here's the wiki page on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_length_of_
coastline

Either parameter shows us with over 200,000 kms of Coastline, no one else is even close.
We keep our Airforce & Army at their present size, we just don't have the population to support a large military. We are approximate 35-36 million people in our entire Country, we are out numbered by the Americans, for every Canadian there are approximately 10 Americans. Hell the Mexicans are about 114 million people we are outnumbered by Mexico by around 4 to one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_of_Mexico#Population
American's thinking Canada illegal immigrants will invade like Mexican's do is assinign, hell all the other Central American Countries feed into Mexico & they attempt to get in to the USofA, the only thing North of Canada is Ice, snow & the occassional seal & polar bear !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Saren
Saren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 12th, 2012 @ 09:42 AM Reply

i didnt even kno that canada had any army ne way i agree how useless is it that they have an army hopefuly they will get some common sense and get rid of it completely and immediately

Just chillin'

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 12th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 5/12/12 09:42 AM, Saren wrote: i didnt even kno that canada had any army ne way i agree how useless is it that they have an army hopefuly they will get some common sense and get rid of it completely and immediately

I know. Seriously, as an American, I would love to have territorial control over their natural resources. Get their army out of they way and we can annex them without any bloodshed.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 12th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 11:49 AM, Camarohusky wrote: I know. Seriously, as an American, I would love to have territorial control over their natural resources. Get their army out of they way and we can annex them without any bloodshed.

FYI
;;;

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Commonwealth_of_Nations#Org anisation_and_objectives

There is a possibility, some of these nations might object.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 12th, 2012 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 01:50 PM, morefngdbs wrote: There is a possibility, some of these nations might object.

First off, no one cares what Britain thinks. After the UK, the commonwealth is about as powerful as the State of Wisconsin. The UK hardly scares the US.

Second, you way overestimate the willing of others to come to your aid when you so vocally vioce how you will forever abandon your aid, even your ability to aid, them.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 13th, 2012 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 04:07 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Second, you way overestimate the willing of others to come to your aid when you so vocally vioce how you will forever abandon your aid, even your ability to aid, them.

;;;;
WHat I would like & what wioll be are 2 different things.
We will contiue on the track of working within NATO. Our military is already commited to 25+ billion of those new stealth fighters the US is about to unleash ...the something 35.

And the Fed's just gave 25 billion to Nova Scotia for this Province to build a bunch of new military ships. Plus another 5-10 billion for other Provinces to provide systems & other stuff.

So we are very nuch going to carry on being world wide assholes, just like the USofA. Brown people everywhere, we'll be back !

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 13th, 2012 @ 07:30 PM Reply

It does seem to be a waste of money for Canada to have an army. When the last war they fought in, World War 2?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 13th, 2012 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 07:30 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It does seem to be a waste of money for Canada to have an army. When the last war they fought in, World War 2?

I know, seriously, it only takes the lightest amount of effort to figure out they play roles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 14th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 5/13/12 07:30 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: When the last war they fought in, World War 2?

;;;;
While we didn't go to Iraq on Georgie Dubya's Nod, nod wink , wink weapons of mass destruction invasion.

We did participate the first time, when George senior went in to remove Saddam from Kuwait.
We've also did our NATO duty in Bosnia, & several other shit holes in Eastern Europe.
we aslo sent a dory, with 3 handliners with cod jigs to Libya, to check out the fishing grounds for cod

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 15th, 2012 @ 10:21 AM Reply

Don't you think Canada could be a threat to someone because it's kind of like the second largest country in the world? Then again, Alaska is the largest state and it has one of the lowest populations, so size doesn't matter. Of course, most Canadians live in the Southernmost part of the country, so they do have influence. They're resided over by the UK, not that it means anything nowadays. Every country should have an army in the chance that they're being invaded, moron.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 15th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

It seems like most people are for Canada having an army.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 22nd, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Canada's army is actually better then the Americans...
We kicked your asses for a long time in the past, we have owned every single one of your military ships atleast once, and when you build a new own its a running joke for how long it will be before we will peacefully overtake the ship and sail around with it for a while...
we spend what... 1/200th what America spends on defence yet we are never invaded
We serve in more rebuilding missions around the world then most countries combined
plus we help everyone out if they have a hand up

Give us a break, we like the snazzy uniforms and the feel of a outdated tank or ship

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 12:44 PM, tox wrote: A new version of history.

Please do elaborate.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 12:44 PM, tox wrote: Canada's army is actually better then the Americans...

No they're not. I can tell you right off the bat that you're dead wrong.

We kicked your asses for a long time in the past, we have owned every single one of your military ships atleast once, and when you build a new own its a running joke for how long it will be before we will peacefully overtake the ship and sail around with it for a while...

*buzzer sounds* wrong again. Canada can't do shit compared to our navy, and before you bring up 1812, may I remind you that Canada as a country didn't exist until the late 1850's, which before then, was a British colony. Nice try.

we spend what... 1/200th what America spends on defence yet we are never invaded

Guess what? Switzerland and Japan were never invaded as well, what's your point? Canada is a massive country, that for a long time was under watch from Britain, which very few countries dared to mess with, how much you spend on defense is irrelevant.

We serve in more rebuilding missions around the world then most countries combined

With us leading the way as always, so what?

Again, read above sentence.

Give us a break, we like the snazzy uniforms and the feel of a outdated tank or ship

Hey I love retro shit as much as the next person, but having outdated tanks, ships and what have you will only get your ass kicked 6 ways from Sunday. Just look at the Russians as an example, even during their heyday, most of their technology was at least a decade behind America, {and to a lesser extent, Britain} and the only way that they can compensate for that is have a bigger army than everyone else.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
KILLER80804
KILLER80804
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 30th, 2012 @ 12:17 AM Reply

At 5/22/12 12:44 PM, tox wrote: Canada's army is actually better then the Americans...
We kicked your **** for a long time in the past, we have owned every single one of your military ships atleast once, and when you build a new own its a running joke for how long it will be before we will peacefully overtake the ship and sail around with it for a while...

the reason canada hasnt been annexed into the US or another world power yet is either because canadians havent given
any one a reason to invade canada, that world power would get very unpopular with most countries, or because canada and the US are supposed to be allies.

BOOM!

BBS Signature
ian66600
ian66600
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. May. 30th, 2012 @ 02:15 AM Reply

I believe any first world nation that is an ally or not a threat to the united states should have a military. but that's jjsut my biased opinion.

exflacto
exflacto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

I didn't know they had one :L

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 07:22 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 06:06 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 5/22/12 12:44 PM, tox wrote: A new version of history.
Please do elaborate.

;;;;
In the words of the Trailer Park Boy's ....SUCK IT !

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news_updates/nz1839.htm

Iron-Claw
Iron-Claw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Canada has every reason to have an Army and Navy, Coast Guard, Marines and Air Force to be specific. Should've said Military if you wanted to be more precise but that's ok the Army in actuality has the most of everything in the Military than any other branch at least that's the way it is with The U.S. Army. The problem with most people is they fail to realize Canada not only has a military which it does and not only should have a military they do indeed need a military and there's not always a guarantee you (American) can dodge the draft in Canada because the truth is 1 in 3 American participant wars will also have Canada on board that's the way it was under World War II, Kosovo, Operation Enduring Freedom and this may come as a shock to most of you but Canadians are at the very top of the best snipers and sharpshooters on the planet it's true. That is why the U.S. and every other friendly nation needs Canada's Military otherwise you're sunk, you've bit the big one, you've bought the farm, you've left, you've split you've flaked off and been scattered to the wind.

Every North American depends on Canada's Military and World War 3 could start tomorrow and I guarantee you the cream of the crop for all unfriendly nations will be The United States of America and we are definitely gonna need a helping hand from both Canada and Mexico and as far as I'm concerned you, anyone you know or care about, and myself should NEVER EVER choose the Militia far too many question marks if you get my meaning and I'm sure you do. i.e. Crackers, Rednecks, Peckerwoods, and Honkeys* with guns not a good thing at all. No the best chance is with The National Guard and The Coast Guard that's what they're for and why the Militia is obsolete. And I guarantee we are indeed gonna need to turn to our nutty neighbor to the north Canada for help and you better be polite 'cause no matter how nice Canadians may be no one is gonna sit idly by and be flamed and trolled upon by insensitive pricks that have the audacity to share the country that is The United States of America.

*I am white I can say that.

Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing
Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots
It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature
ExecutiveCube
ExecutiveCube
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Canada shouldn't have an army. Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 4/11/12 07:31 PM, Gambit wrote: I mean, it's logic.

Canada should not have a military.

Right now, Canada has an army, and it's barely an excuse for an Army. All right, we invaded Afghanistan with other NATO countries, and we stayed there for a couple of years. A few hundred Canadian soldiers died. We did something, helped the country. So what?

Canadian Army is a joke. We own a couple mediocre subs that cost way more in maintenance and repairs than the price we paid for them (750,000,000$), a fleet of old jets and helicopters, a couple frigates and roughly 59,000 soldiers.

There is about 30,000,000 Canadian citizen. The Harper government is buying / bought a bunch of F-35 jets for 40 billion dollars + an approximate 60 billion dollars required for maintenance of the equipment over the years.

I say why? The Canadian Army is and has always been small and, compared to our neighbours and allies, a very small threat to any organized country.
CANADA IS NO THREAT TO ANYBODY AS IT IS. NOT EVEN TO NORTH KOREA.
Why keep wasting tax money on a resource Canada could get rid of with barely any consequences? I mean, if Canada was attacked, U.S.A., England and France would jump in as fast as they can in to defend their ally. If a war explodes in Orient or Asia, Canada wouldn't bring much military help. We barely did anything in Afghanistan to begin with.

Why not spend all that wasted tax money on something more useful? A free school service, lower taxes, lower gas prices, lower service prices, anything would be better than keeping wasting money in the sink the Canadian Forces are.

Tell me one inconvenient Canada would have if it got rid of its army.

Well, Germany is a nation of 81,000,000 and yet only have a military of about 148,000. Thats about 547 citizens per military personel. According to your info, canada would be about 508 citizens per military personel. Same thing really. I would say the canadian military is average.

And if you want something even more interesting, check out this website.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

Canada is ranked 25th military power in the world. Not bad, I'd say.