New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 01:40:09 Reply

I don't ever find myself getting scared during movies, but games on the other hand scare the mess out of me...

It really doesn't even have to be a game meant to be scary. Skyrim has given my moments that made me jump out if my skin, and Fallout 3 had my teetg chattering half of the time. Dead Island was supposed to just be an action game, but whenever I heard an infected screech I started breaking out into a cold sweat.

Why is this? Is it because you feel so much more connected it games? Is anybody else the same way?

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 01:56:34 Reply

I know what you mean. My guess is, we're more immersed into video games than movies since we are (for the most part) in control of what happens. I'll admit, I've had more good fright moments in video games than in movies. For example, the first time I ever met The Witch in Left 4 Dead, I nearly shit my pants.
Also, surround sound or really good headsets fucking suck ass when playing a scary game!

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 04:04:45 Reply

In the game you are the one who controls the player.I'm sure if you just watched a friend of yours playing a horror game you would be less scared than playing it yourself.Also there is the stress that you have to face most of the times these scary things that suddenly appear in front of you.

Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 04:15:08 Reply

I'm the same way, although maybe not to the same extent as you... I've jumped a couple times playing Skyrim, but that was more because I turned around to find a Draughr in my face than it was because I was scared (Startled and scared are two different things).
Although I'll admit there were a couple side quests I did that made my skin crawl a little bit, usually the ones involving abandoned houses with some kind of mysterious murder or something... Nothing that made me want to turn the game off though.

What gets me is stuff like Silent Hill... I remember playing Silent Hill 2 way back, I had rented the game, played it for half an hour, then returned it... I just couldn't do it.

Same with Amnesia... I downloaded the demo on Steam... I never managed to finish it, I got to the section with the flooded basement, when I saw something crashing through the water after me... I nearly shat myself, paused the game, cooled down... quit... never touched it again.

Long story short, it's more the psychological mind games that creep me out than it is imagery or gore... Zombies? Meh... If I can see it... I can kill it... therefore I'm not afraid of it... But the second I can hear something or feel its presence and have no idea where it is, or when it's gonna come out... those moments usually make me concerned that I'm gonna have to change my underwear.
And worse are moments when you know nothing is after you, but the game makes you feel like something is anyways... you know your safe, so why is it so god damn scary anyways?

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Thedark
Thedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 05:44:59 Reply

Cootie try Dead Space 2 next

Newest interview with Squidbit Cheeeeeeeck it out
You give up your freedom for the safety that the government promises you ~ Confucianism
Sig by Asandir

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 06:06:40 Reply

I can't name specific games, but there are times when I'm searching dark rooms for bad guys that can really have me on edge. I think I try to brace myself before they jump at me and I get a fright. There's something about creepy looking bad guys being right up against the view point that just freaks me out. It feels like instinct to get my character away from them as quickly as possible.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 06:12:56 Reply

I'm glad I picked video games over movies for reasons like this. At least with video games you're the one who's in control of the situation so it's up to you to decide what to do. However, I find myself less and less scared of what happens in video games, although I do hate those Floormasters from Ocarina of Time. Always put me on a scare every time.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 06:19:30 Reply

At 4/11/12 06:12 AM, Bahamut wrote: although I do hate those Floormasters from Ocarina of Time. Always put me on a scare every time.

You just reminded me, there's an enemy in OoT that I find freaky. The Redead enemies. The ones that look like zombies, scream as they get closer to you, and then jump on you when they're really close. Those things are just plain weird. I think it's the scream that makes them mildly scary.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
f12guy
f12guy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 06:29:20 Reply

I don't get scared i just get spooked in games where you have very little ability to evade attacks, like resident evil 4 fucking scared the shit out of me when the girl would start screaming and i would turn around to see a mess of infected coming towards me

Does anyone actually read these?

lux2000
lux2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 08:26:48 Reply

The games that scared me beyond belief were in no paticular order

RESIDENT EVIL NEMESIS :- It's the moment with nemesis at the beginning that scare the most with you searching around as usual for ammo, keys and the like when suddenly this fecking giant trenchcoat freak appears and seems to be nigh invulnrable abit like most tyrant super monsters in this game

DEAD SPACE 2:- the first part of dead space 2 just after you get the first gun and your edging your way through a hospital ward and then a halon system goes off without warning and you jump followed by a mutter of "Bloody fun" as nothing else happens after that in that room.

F.E.A.R. :- That part early in the game when your walking down a hallway and a little girl appears followed by fire and exploding sh*t , you try running but to no success as your flung through a window (if my memory serves correct)

The Man Behind
All I can Say is .......................

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 11:13:31 Reply

I don't get scared from games often. I do get scared in EarthBound in the Cave Of The Past and the Giygas fight. I also get scared in Final Fantasy VII in the part of the game where there is blood everywhere and you see Jenova headless and Trail Of Blood is playing. God that gives me fucking nightmares every time I get to that part of the game.

Easily scared by games...

Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 12:00:27 Reply

I can't say I've ever been that immersed in a game. Dead Space 1 and 2 have a couple of moments where I've jumped like a bitch from something popping out in front of me even though I should expect it, and Fallout 3 is good at making me nervous lurking through dark sewers and such, but I've never been legitimately scared of a game.

I did refuse to play Dead Space for 2 years after I played it when I was like 10 and saw the part at the beginning where the slasher kills the guy in the other room and chases you into the elevator, but given my age I don't count that.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 16:59:32 Reply

At 4/11/12 01:40 AM, Cootie wrote: I don't ever find myself getting scared during movies, but games on the other hand scare the mess out of me...
Why is this? Is it because you feel so much more connected it games? Is anybody else the same way?

I recommend you watch Jacob's ladder. It is not really scary, but creepy. But movies suck and aren't as engaging, games especially rpgs definitely seem to have more substance. I only get scared because I have a fear of undoing my work, like losing progress or items.

I have gotten intensely absorbed before like you, when i played the zelda gameboy games- i would break out into sweat and my heart would race when trying to beat a boss. Wasn't because of fear though.

Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

Merkinster
Merkinster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 18:37:49 Reply

At 4/11/12 08:26 AM, lux2000 wrote: The games that scared me beyond belief were in no paticular order

RESIDENT EVIL NEMESIS :- It's the moment with nemesis at the beginning that scare the most with you searching around as usual for ammo, keys and the like when suddenly this fecking giant trenchcoat freak appears and seems to be nigh invulnrable abit like most tyrant super monsters in this game

DEAD SPACE 2:- the first part of dead space 2 just after you get the first gun and your edging your way through a hospital ward and then a halon system goes off without warning and you jump followed by a mutter of "Bloody fun" as nothing else happens after that in that room.

F.E.A.R. :- That part early in the game when your walking down a hallway and a little girl appears followed by fire and exploding sh*t , you try running but to no success as your flung through a window (if my memory serves correct)

UH yeah, let me say something about Dead Space 2. Playing that game with the volume up relatively higher (higher than when you watch TV) can be the scariest experience ever. Prepare for unsuspecting loud noises as well as the sounds of people dying and little children (necromorphs) crying.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-11 19:17:23 Reply

Movies: don't open the door stupid girl!
games: What was that noise? Should I check? OMG!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Thedark
Thedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-12 12:59:32 Reply

UH yeah, let me say something about Dead Space 2. Playing that game with the volume up relatively higher (higher than when you watch TV) can be the scariest experience ever. Prepare for unsuspecting loud noises as well as the sounds of people dying and little children (necromorphs) crying.

Are you crazy enough to turn the volume up man ?
The hospital part was the scariest of them all

Newest interview with Squidbit Cheeeeeeeck it out
You give up your freedom for the safety that the government promises you ~ Confucianism
Sig by Asandir

BBS Signature
Merkinster
Merkinster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-12 13:13:25 Reply

At 4/12/12 12:59 PM, Thedark wrote:

Are you crazy enough to turn the volume up man ?
The hospital part was the scariest of them all

They make it mandatory to turn it up... unless you want to completely miss the story. ****SPOILER***** a good bit of the creepiest parts of the game are comments made by Nicole when she is speaking to Isaac. I am not talking about his little crazy moments, but just her voice.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-13 02:30:26 Reply

When I was young, just about any horror or intense action game would have me locked in the suspense. To break that mentality, I simply focused on the gameplay's mechanics. This enemy seems vulnerable to this weapon or can be avoided. Instead of looking at my opponents, I have eyes out for kill opportunities, taking advantage of the immediate area, and making sure I have somewhere to fall back too. Soldiering through it really takes the stress off for me, and before long, the enemies become...well, enemies. And the game often becomes more fun! Resident Evil 4 was my first true test in this regard, and now it's one of my all-time favorites.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

NewShape
NewShape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Writer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-13 23:48:30 Reply

The atmosphere of FF7 is horrifying.
However I kinda believe it wasn't any of the main producers ideas to make it this way.
I've seen their other work (FF1-6, FF8-12) and the the later ff7 installments (Advent children, Dirge of Cerberus ect,) none of which match up at all with this game's mood.

Who puts this music in a kids game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-G-nn3hBd

I don't think it's just the composer either, but the level designer (not the concept artist, since his work is almost always romantic in nature), someone who worked between the two. Whoever did it was probably fired anyway.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-13 23:54:35 Reply

That's weird, I feel the exact opposite about games.
Interactivity usually fights against that feeling of helplessness, horror is supposed to convey.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-14 00:55:06 Reply

Only games to ever scare me are Dead Space 1 and Amnesia.

Cootie, play Amnesia The Dark Descent, I promise you pants will be shat.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-14 07:45:04 Reply

You interact more with a videogame, and it is for some reason harder to known when something will jump out and possibly scare you. I don't know how many times a drauger has snuck up on in Skyrim and a scared the shit out of me.

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Byoubyanese
Byoubyanese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-14 10:41:03 Reply

If you can't properly handle Skyrim, you are nowhere near man enough for BioShock, that game has me checking and double checking corners... I can only play it between 10AM and 6PM (7 during DST) and I have to have every damn light on.

"GODDAM SPLICERS!"

UPDATE Remember when I said "AnnonymousofCali is a terrible troll. Jus factin'" I was wrong it's a horrendous troll
#jusfactin Byou wins again, check please. Woopwoopwoopwoop

BBS Signature
RyderOmega
RyderOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Filmmaker
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-15 20:30:03 Reply

At 4/14/12 10:41 AM, Byoubyanese wrote: If you can't properly handle Skyrim, you are nowhere near man enough for BioShock, that game has me checking and double checking corners... I can only play it between 10AM and 6PM (7 during DST) and I have to have every damn light on.

"GODDAM SPLICERS!"

I fucking hate the damn Houdini splicers. Always appearing and disappearing and shit, it happens out of fucking nowhere.

PSN:Ryder-Omega/Steam:Ryder Omega

I'm that lazy bastard who doesn't bother to take down his damn Christmas lights. I still have the fucking kriss-kringle hats from last year!

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-15 21:10:01 Reply

At 4/14/12 10:41 AM, Byoubyanese wrote: If you can't properly handle Skyrim, you are nowhere near man enough for BioShock, that game has me checking and double checking corners... I can only play it between 10AM and 6PM (7 during DST) and I have to have every damn light on.

"GODDAM SPLICERS!"

Bioshock was a bitch at times. Especially when you would just see a shadow scurry on up to the ceiling. Fuck that.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Ta-kun
Ta-kun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-21 00:58:32 Reply

Haha, the only game that scared the hell out of me from playing was Dead Space I just couldn't finish that game's achievements! Till I grew some balls and started playing it over and over till I wasn't scared of playing anymore, so much that I would speed run it though! I've even grown fawn of games with horror or anything with horror in general. It's my thing now I don't get scared of anything anymore maybe I few jumps here and there but I still love it all. Just keep playing those scary games you don't like and believe me you'll grow to love to play anything and everything.

"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty. . . It's all the same once yer dead! And a corpse can't laugh."

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-22 06:42:15 Reply

I've always found 3D (FPS/TPS) games scarier than most 2D games.

Even Minecraft still frightens me every now and then.

What is that invisible force that keeps attacking me?
Zippy-MyMusic
Zippy-MyMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-22 20:39:41 Reply

Call me a pussy, whatever. This game is freaky as shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHQN1q8ln4

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-22 21:59:52 Reply

When I was little Silent Hill scared the shit out of me, cause I wasted all my ammo fighting off birds in the street, and then I got to some dogs and never had to courage to try to get past them with just a knife. About 10 years later I went back and beat the game, though.
In Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, I don't know why, but that little shadow girl scared the shit out of me. I would see her and just be like "Fuck fuck fuck fuck I don't want to go near her god dammit but I have to". I knew she would never attack me or try to hurt me at all but she still fucking scared me for some reason.

At 4/11/12 06:19 AM, Dean wrote:
At 4/11/12 06:12 AM, Bahamut wrote: although I do hate those Floormasters from Ocarina of Time. Always put me on a scare every time.
You just reminded me, there's an enemy in OoT that I find freaky. The Redead enemies. The ones that look like zombies, scream as they get closer to you, and then jump on you when they're really close. Those things are just plain weird. I think it's the scream that makes them mildly scary.

I think what was scary about the redead was being totally helpless when they froze you.
And those floormasters, you're just forced to wait on them to drop down on you.

worrvoss
worrvoss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Easily scared by games... 2012-04-22 22:13:59 Reply

i know what you mean a movie i can relax and just say there dumb for making there dumb decision to get in into that predicament

but a game I'm immersed into and you don't know whats gonna happen next and you don't want to die and loose ur stuff or start from recent save point again

that's why i save so constant like every minute and another save every 30 minutes for just encase i mess up

its why i play on easy on games like Skyrim =] so i can just enjoy the game Skyrim is awesome

Minecraft rules, try it but dont play free one free version sucks

BBS Signature