Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 14th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 4/14/12 06:41 PM, Asperchu wrote:
At 4/14/12 03:40 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: This is all my crummy webcam could take. If I ever take this to uni, I'll scan it. Look, the lighting on the paper isn't even uniform!

For one, all the detail that I put in is gone, and two, the shine on the eyes is not even captured.

It's a self-portrait, by the way.
This is the best thing you've put up in the entire thread!
You've got a good thing going here!

I.... was expecting it to be the worst, considering that the last time I ever attempted realism was for Year 9 in secondary school, and I didn't do particularly well in it. That was in 2005. But thanks! ^_^'

I hope the scanned version may work more wonders than the webcam version does.

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

Didn't get to scan the first drawing yet, so please hold on.

In the meantime.... here's a WIP. Webcam captured this thing too. I lament the fact that all the detail is gone AGAIN!
I do want to add more things onto the paper... to sorta give the idea that "everyone's moving around without listening, the world around me seems dead, but I am alive".

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 11:16 AM Reply

Another WIP.

We've got Bitey, Pico, Weebl, the Madness guy, Strawberry Clock, Blockhead, Foamy the Squirrel, and Tankman himself.
This is meant to be a mascot party sketch, but this is all I've got so far.

Mouse on DeviantArt Muro.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 4/20/12 11:16 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Another WIP.

I must say, I like what you've got going with this one a lat more than the anime peices you've posted in your thread so far.
This one has a stronger sense of proportionality to it (even though some of the characters don't even have proper bodies), and the overall composition of the piece seems a lot more fun.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Thanks! ^_^

More progress coming up. Now this is pretty basic colouring; I'll handle a few more layers and lighting when I finish my coursework. This is all I'll do for today, I guess, unless I finish my Company Law essay super early.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 08:09 AM Reply

Start of Layer 2, with Meat Boy and one of those Crush the Castle (?) guys.

Touchpad on DeviantArt Muro.
The one reason why I used a mouse and not a touchpad the last time was because I wasn't doing it on my computer, but in the university library. And honestly speaking, I prefer the mouse a lot more.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 08:12 AM Reply

I have a question, and it's gotta do with the placement of layers. Now that you've all seen Layers 1 and 2...
This is what happens when I put them together. Note, the basic colouring in Layer 1 is now clean. I haven't done the outlines for Layer 2 but some things are covered, mainly by Bitey, the balloons and the Alien Hominid.

I cannot help but think this setup looks a bit crowded. Should I keep it the way it is, or should I put Layer 2 to the left or the right of Layer 1? So that it'll all look like one massive party?

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

You could try to move it a bit to the left and a little up, that way Meatboy would be in the top left and the Castle Crasher would be between Bitey and Alien Hominid. If it's still too crowded you can still put them next to each other.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 09:55 AM Reply

At 4/21/12 08:21 AM, Luwano wrote: You could try to move it a bit to the left and a little up, that way Meatboy would be in the top left and the Castle Crasher would be between Bitey and Alien Hominid. If it's still too crowded you can still put them next to each other.

I'll give that a shot, once the basic colouring is done for Layer 2. : )
This is what I have for now--

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

Together, they look like this. Still terribly crowded, I find.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 02:01 PM Reply

And this is what will happen if I make it long. This is "Option 2", so to speak.
Turned it into a GIF so that the quality wouldn't deteriorate too much.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 4/21/12 02:01 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Turned it into a GIF so that the quality wouldn't deteriorate too much.

And the file's quality deteriorated.... It wasn't so bad on my drives, though -- all the colours appeared as they should have. Oh well.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:47 AM Reply

Did a semi-realism study today. The character whom I decided to modify was the OC from some of my anime pieces, Fr Marcus Cohen. I wanted to do front, profile and semi-profile. And the profile version seems to be the hardest (I can do profile and semi-profile with next to no problems, except for the face positioning).

A few things to note:
1. Crappy webcam.
2. Crappy webcam.
3. I didn't have my mechanical pencil with me, so some of the lines which I wanted defined are not there.
4. Crappy webcam. I'll scan this when I actually REMEMBER! D:

I wanted to try a full-body sketch, front/profile/semi-profile, but I don't have enough time now.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Apr. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 4/22/12 10:47 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Did a semi-realism study today. The character whom I decided to modify was the OC from some of my anime pieces, Fr Marcus Cohen. I wanted to do front, profile and semi-profile. And the profile version seems to be the hardest (I can do profile and semi-profile with next to no problems, except for the face positioning).

Not to be mean but the semi-profile one looks the worst to me, it doesn't make much sense when compared to the other two, just look at the distance between the sideburn and his right eye!

You should try drawing skulls, it's fun and it is a lot easier drawing faces when you know what's beneath the skin giving them their shape.

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 7th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM Reply

I'll try at some point......

Thought I'd do an expression study. Not finished. And at the rate I'm going I think I draw with a mouse better than I draw with a pen.

Not sure how realistic this is.......

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 21st, 2012 @ 01:43 PM Reply

With DA muro now able to show Redraw, I'm going to take advantage of it and show all strokes from start to end.
Here's a work in progress: http://sta.sh/0grlqtys49d

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:49 AM Reply

I've got a question, and it's been bugging me this morning--

If I were to follow a portrait I would be able to copy details, and they would look okay -- wrinkles, frown marks, emotions etc. But for some reason I can't seem to be able to render them in cartoon form, because either the lines are too thick, or too long, or some other reason -- and whenever I draw these lines in, the faces look unnatural.

Would anyone like to give me pointers on this please?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:03 AM Reply

You need to get the proportions down better, proportions are way more important as detail.
Detail is just something nice you add on, its just a detail.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 10:03 AM, Flowers10 wrote: Detail is just something nice you add on, its just a detail.

I'm not entirely convinced. Detail makes all the difference between a 15-year-old boy and a 43-year-old man with the same proportions.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 02:37 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/22/12 10:03 AM, Flowers10 wrote: Detail is just something nice you add on, its just a detail.
I'm not entirely convinced. Detail makes all the difference between a 15-year-old boy and a 43-year-old man with the same proportions.

depends how you apply it

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 5/22/12 03:55 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 5/22/12 02:37 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
depends how you apply it

That's the whole point of my question: When it comes to facial features for cartoons, has anyone got any pointers?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread May. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

The proportions are the base, if your base isn't good your drawing wont do well.
Right proportions also give a good measurement where all the detail needs to be placed.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

I was FINALLY able to scan the pictures at my disposal. However, I didn't bring the self-portrait with me. Well, here are some better-quality goodies. Quite a lot of them are rough sketches, while some of them are lineart.

Starting with this:

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 05:09 PM Reply

And something I began today (unfinished). Intended for Project Chaplaincy.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

This will be going into the EBF collab. Unfinished lineart; will have to do something about it very soon.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

It's been a while.
By the way, I have this picture in my submissions on Newgrounds if anyone's up for details.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 08:43 PM Reply

My attempt at drawing Kasane Teto. Or rather, myself dressed as Teto.
This is a little something I did for my friends in Hatfield and the surrounding areas to come support me at an audition. Picture says everything.

DeviantArt muro for the sketchlines and much of everything else. Photoshop CS5.1 for all the supplementary brushing. Mouse-drawn.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM Reply

A drawing I did a few days ago. Suppsoed to be a friend and me, and I did use a reference picture for the person on the right.
I wonder if I got the proportions right this time... And my friend's face looks horrible on camera.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 06:11 AM Reply

At 6/13/12 05:11 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: This will be going into the EBF collab. Unfinished lineart; will have to do something about it very soon.

The finished version of this, in case there are people who missed it --

• The Summoning [EBF Collab]
    The Summoning [EBF Collab] by TroisNyxEtienne

DA muro drawings, some filtering, and some failed attempts with hardlighting, softlighting, brushing and burning on Photoshop...

Score
    3.866666667 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

Im gonna continue on the porportions vrs detail comment.

Details are important. Just like proportions. But proportions are MORE important. Not because of how it looks on paper, but because they are more difficult to learn.

You can draw detailed with disproportionate things all you want. Just know that the more you do it, the more it will become second nature and the harder it will be to learn proper proportions and or anatomy in the future.