Be a Supporter!

EA Anti-Gay boycott

  • 1,935 Views
  • 74 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:43:38 Reply

EA has recently received thousands of letters of complaint due to the options for same sex romance in SW:TOR.
"The overwhelming number of players on Star Wars games is children who do not need to be forced as a captured audience to participate in homosexual content.

We ask that you please adhere to your long term policy of omitting and steering clear of this type of advocacy representation in your games.

Please do not include LGBT content in Star Wars video games that will impact so many children.

Thank you. Remember Sodom.

EA responded very well and said they wouldn't bow to the pressure.

Theirs even a petition you can sign to show your support for EA, set up by Yoda in his spare time (between flogging vodafones I guess)

I didn't post this in the VG forum because it's more about the anti-gay campaign than the actual games themselves.
kanef
kanef
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:46:45 Reply

woah, did i just travel back to the 80s?


ńęwgróuńdśęś ręśidęńt pątrićiąń

BBS Signature
Rangboy555
Rangboy555
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:48:15 Reply

At 4/9/12 10:46 AM, Kane-Farrell wrote: woah, did i just travel back to the 80s?

LOLWhat.


The Beauty of physics can be itself or others,
that is the beauty of physics.
-Eric King

BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:49:08 Reply

It shouldn't be an issue for anyone if the gameplay isn't forced to go down that route. I mean if the player is given an option menu then they'll choose what THEY want to see, right?


BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:49:53 Reply

At 4/9/12 10:43 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote: EA responded very well and said they wouldn't bow to the pressure.

That'd be the first thing EA has done right in years. Really, who the hell cares if gay Jedi want to marry each other? If you are opposed to gay-Jedi marriages, then don't get one (marriage).


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Rangboy555
Rangboy555
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:53:17 Reply

At 4/9/12 10:49 AM, pirateplatypus wrote:
At 4/9/12 10:43 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote: EA responded very well and said they wouldn't bow to the pressure.
That'd be the first thing EA has done right in years. Really, who the hell cares if gay Jedi want to marry each other? If you are opposed to gay-Jedi marriages, then don't get one (marriage).

This.


The Beauty of physics can be itself or others,
that is the beauty of physics.
-Eric King

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 10:55:15 Reply

At 4/9/12 10:46 AM, Kane-Farrell wrote: woah, did i just travel back to the 80s?

Believe it or not there are still homophobes.

I think this stupid.A game won't influence people becoming gay because it gives the optionto have same-sex.Also it doesn't make the player do it,it gives the option so the problem is only what the play wants.


Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:02:09 Reply

so wait, children get to watch storm troopers and rebels get massarced but some homosexuality is the bad part?


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:03:47 Reply

Ugh....religion...


Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:05:26 Reply

At 4/9/12 10:55 AM, tonypar16 wrote: I think this stupid.A game won't influence people becoming gay because it gives the optionto have same-sex.Also it doesn't make the player do it,it gives the option so the problem is only what the play wants.

Actually, a good friend of mine used to be straight as an arrow. Then he played one of the PvP stages on Mario 3. Seeing two dudes jump on each other turned him gay.

At 4/9/12 11:02 AM, MrPercie wrote: so wait, children get to watch storm troopers and rebels get massarced but some homosexuality is the bad part?

Now you're getting it. It all goes back to the Bible. Killing and slaughtering are godly principles, equality isn't.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:16:09 Reply

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/05/ea-in-full-d amage-control-mode-points-to-anti-gay-hate-mail/

This may well just be a way to try and lump legitimate critics with homophobe retards. EA is on the defensive after all their recent fuck ups.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:20:59 Reply

This conveniently came out just after EA was voted worst company in America. It's a pretty pathetic ploy to divert attention from their shady business practices and their destruction of once-great game companies.

Of course narrow-minded people are going to throw bitch fits over stupid shit like this. But you know what? It's probably been going on since Dragon Age: Origins, or even before that. They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for support now.

I'm all for this boycott though, truth be told. It's not because I hate gay characters in video games. It's because I hate HORRIBLY WRITTEN gay characters in video games. Almost every gay character in Bioware is defined by their sexual preference.

It's the equivalent of putting a black-face in a pre-civil rights movie and claiming, "Oh, look how revolutionary this is!"

On the flip side, look at FO:NV's Arcade Ganon. As much as I dislike Obsidian, I can't deny the make some of the best stories in video games (with some of the worst, most uninspired gameplay). Arcade wasn't some blatant homosexual. He wasn't defined by his love for sleeping with dudes. On the contrary, he was a well-written character who just happened to be gay.

So fuck you, EA, but good job pulling this out. I bet you'll chalk your worst company award down to a massive attack by right-wing bigots, not people displeased with your company over the years.

It looks like people are falling for it, though.

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Programmer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:22:35 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:02 AM, MrPercie wrote: so wait, children get to watch storm troopers and rebels get massarced but some homosexuality is the bad part?

This. Double standard is a bitch.


MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:26:20 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:20 AM, Rallard wrote: This conveniently came out just after EA was voted worst company in America. It's a pretty pathetic ploy to divert attention from their shady business practices and their destruction of once-great game companies.

fuckers ruined my mass effect.

I'm all for this boycott though, truth be told. It's not because I hate gay characters in video games. It's because I hate HORRIBLY WRITTEN gay characters in video games. Almost every gay character in Bioware is defined by their sexual preference.

You may have a point but I would try and distance your self from the gay haters though.

On the flip side, look at FO:NV's Arcade Ganon. As much as I dislike Obsidian, I can't deny the make some of the best stories in video games (with some of the worst, most uninspired gameplay). Arcade wasn't some blatant homosexual. He wasn't defined by his love for sleeping with dudes. On the contrary, he was a well-written character who just happened to be gay.

wasent veronica also gay? she said she had a lover then veronica said "she didnt want to be in a long relationship" or something so we know she was a lesbian but it aint made a big deal over.


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:27:30 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:20 AM, Rallard wrote:
So fuck you, EA, but good job pulling this out. I bet you'll chalk your worst company award down to a massive attack by right-wing bigots, not people displeased with your company over the years.

It looks like people are falling for it, though.

They're quite right to point out the hatemail they've received. It brings the issue to the forefront and also might convince other businesses to do the same. I do agree that they're also using it to bury bad news but so what?
Also being voted worst business is a fucking joke. Are they worse than nestle who's aggressive milk marketing tactics have lead to the deaths of million of children in the third world? Are they worse than BP who's shady safety regs put lives and the environment at risk?
That award carries absolutely no weight and has no credibility whatsoever.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:32:02 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:27 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote:
. Are they worse than nestle who's aggressive milk marketing tactics have lead to the deaths of million of children in the third world? Are they worse than BP who's shady safety regs put lives and the environment at risk?

so things arnt a problem till they start killing children and causing large enviromental distress? Aint some of the companies involved in console making and game making and stuff use cheap sweat shop labour from chinese workers who live in shitty working conditions? I know apple is involved in some of that shit, dunno if the xbox or playstation companies do the same.

That award carries absolutely no weight and has no credibility whatsoever.

because you say so? ok then.


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:36:33 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:32 AM, MrPercie wrote:
so things arnt a problem till they start killing children and causing large enviromental distress? Aint some of the companies involved in console making and game making and stuff use cheap sweat shop labour from chinese workers who live in shitty working conditions? I know apple is involved in some of that shit, dunno if the xbox or playstation companies do the same.

A google search doesn't bring up anything about EA using sweatshops. And yes a company that's sins are buying up and dismantling smaller competitors and making a few shit games are less bad than ones that kill children and cause large environmental distress.


because you say so? ok then.

Because I can name 5 much, much worse American companies without breaking a sweat. This was clearly voted for by sweaty neckbeards that didn't like the ending to mass effect 3.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:40:45 Reply

If Bank of America or BP wins worst company, everyone goes "yeah that makes sense", and moves on.

If EA wins worst company, people who know nothing about video games are exposed to their bad business practices and hopefully some change come from it.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:41:03 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:20 AM, Rallard wrote: I'm all for this boycott though, truth be told. It's not because I hate gay characters in video games. It's because I hate HORRIBLY WRITTEN gay characters in video games. Almost every gay character in Bioware is defined by their sexual preference.
So fuck you, EA

First, EA is not Bioware, they are completely, separately run and owned.
Secondly, most bioware games hold popular support. Thirdly, obsidian
is known as the WORST piece of shit company to come out since LJN!
Nothing, they have EVER done, has been good. They are the sister company
of bioware, and get the shit passed on to them when bioware is too busy
to handle anything else.

Give me an example of one horribly written gay character in bioware.

And stop trying to take the black sheep route, accusing bioware of
bullshit that EA has done. Don't talk crap about bioware just because
they are a development titan, then go on to give support to one of
the shittiest companies history, like a hipster faggot.


Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:42:19 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:36 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote: A google search doesn't bring up anything about EA using sweatshops. And yes a company that's sins are buying up and dismantling smaller competitors and making a few shit games are less bad than ones that kill children and cause large environmental distress.

so therefor we shouldnt recognise it as a problem? Just because two guys get robbed but only one of them gets stabbed in the process doesnt mean you ignore the other guy. Its not like you cant help them both. And I didnt say it was worse than large scale child death or enviromental damage, just a problem.

Because I can name 5 much, much worse American companies without breaking a sweat. This was clearly voted for by sweaty neckbeards that didn't like the ending to mass effect 3.

Undoubtedly. But I dont think our shitty internet competitions would do much damage to the reputation of companies that have killed children or caused large scale enviromental damage, that is something you would need a hole country's goverment investigation to go into or something.


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:43:55 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:40 AM, TheMaster wrote: If Bank of America or BP wins worst company, everyone goes "yeah that makes sense", and moves on.

If EA wins worst company, people who know nothing about video games are exposed to their bad business practices and hopefully some change come from it.

basically what he said.


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Artist
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:44:12 Reply

It's amazing how people can channel so much effort into something so trivial.


BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:47:40 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:42 AM, MrPercie wrote:
so therefor we shouldnt recognise it as a problem? Just because two guys get robbed but only one of them gets stabbed in the process doesnt mean you ignore the other guy. Its not like you cant help them both. And I didnt say it was worse than large scale child death or enviromental damage, just a problem.

But the award is the worst company in America award. Not the, "another bad company in America" award by awarding it to a company that my 12 month old son could tell you wasn't the worst company in America you destroy your credibility for all future and past awards.
Also you compare death to death, and then dismantling a competitor to stabbing. Strawman much?


Undoubtedly. But I dont think our shitty internet competitions would do much damage to the reputation of companies that have killed children or caused large scale enviromental damage, that is something you would need a hole country's goverment investigation to go into or something.

It raises awareness, that's better than nothing. It was thanks to some crap on the internet I learnt about nestle and began boycotting them.

Rallard
Rallard
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 11:51:31 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:27 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote: Also being voted worst business is a fucking joke.

I'll agree with that. "Most Hated Business" might have applied better.

The fact that an overwhelming number of people voted for it says something, though. Not just neckbeards or video game fanatics. Many were people who dislike the idea of paying off reviewers, and people who don't like seeing a big corporation chew and spit out their beloved video game companies.

The award holds no merit, sure, but think of it from a neutral party's perspective. Imagine if you never heard of EA, and knew nothing about video games. You read that it's the worst company in the world, which piques your interest. You read up on it, and find out that EA bribes video game review sites and journalists. Is that a proper business practice? No, it's bribery.

Also, I don't know anything about SWTOR, so I can't really agree or disagree with the parents here. If the gay characters are written anything like a typical Bioware game, though (aka: "LOOK AT ME! IM GAY!!! LETS HAVE A CONTRIVED LOVE STORY AND A SEX SCENE THAT FADES TO BLACK!"), I wouldn't want my kid to be exposed to it. I'd be fine with a New Vegas approach: get a perk that makes gay flirtation and whatnot possible, otherwise there's just subtle references to it. Imagine if you were playing Mario Brothers as a kid and Luigi suddenly popped up, complimented your attractive physique and then gave you the option to sleep with him.

... That'd fuck me up for sure.

So yeah, the parents (despite being crazy right-wing religious nuts) do have a point, and they could just ban their kids from playing, but that would suck. I'd be pissed if I was a kid and wasn't allowed to play a game I enjoyed because some NPC might want some homosexual loving.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:00:36 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:51 AM, Rallard wrote: ... That'd fuck me up for sure.

so the gayness would fuck you up but not the violence? ok sure, the game isnt exactly a mixture of Saw the movie and Manhunt but still involves killing.

Why not have an option to disable relationships? They put in the option to turn blood off in video games to tone the gore down for younger auidences so why not put in the option that removes any sexual activity between people.

And no, There should be a disable gayness option. If the child is fine enough with seeing man on women why should he be any more disturbed with man on man/women on women? and if he doesnt like it, just avoid it, its not like their making you suck an aliens cock or scissor some elves (or at least I dont think it does)


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Programmer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:01:18 Reply

This reminded me about stuff when medias bitched about Mass Effect sex. Last thing I know is they rated 18 and up right? If parents allow their little skids to play the game then it's the parents' fault, not the company.

Well, now this is EA faults, they rated PEGI 16+.


MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Member since: Dec. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:03:00 Reply

When it comes to gays, you're either damned if you do, damned if you dont.


BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:04:24 Reply

At 4/9/12 11:47 AM, SnoopyChicken wrote: It raises awareness, that's better than nothing. It was thanks to some crap on the internet I learnt about nestle and began boycotting them.

Did that stop the company from doing its bad shit? Sure, now have a clear conscience because you feel you aint responsible or part of the problem but the damn problem is still gunna be around, your just not apart of it (which I guess is a start).


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Asperchu
Asperchu
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:06:06 Reply

GOD HATES FAGS RICK PERRY 2012

finiteasylum
finiteasylum
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to EA Anti-Gay boycott 2012-04-09 12:10:00 Reply

But I want my bounty hunter to be a badass not a fruit.


Jigga, you gay.