New Topic Respond to this Topic
Fluttershy
Fluttershy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

I'm not going to lie. I don't believe that some races are potentially superior to others genetically. However, I believe that race needs to be involved when investigating a crime, because it's likely that the race of the specific criminal explains a great deal about their motives more than other forms of evidence. I'm not going to go into this further, as I want the opinion of Newgrounds.

SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

Oh god...I can't even..ugh.. This thread, its worthless.

Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

I don't have an opinion on this, wait yes, yes i do
No it should not!

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
BurntL
BurntL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

people who critise race are dumb. race isn't a thing. everyone is the same.

BurntL reviews stuff. BurntL makes BBS threads. BurntL draws art. BurntL thinks cool stuff. BurntL is awesome.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

I think if you're not trolling then you're an idiot. Race has nothing to do with a crime or motives except for the occasional hate crime, and even those are debatable. It might have been relevant once in the early to mid 1900s when the world was full of racial prejudice and minorities usually had to work crappy jobs and as such got caught up in a lot of crime, but in the 21st century that kind of thing barely exists anymore.

I don't even know where you're getting that race is relevant to their motives. Jeffrey Dahmer killed people, drilled holes in their skulls, and injected acids because he thought it would turn them into eternal sex zombies. If you can deduce that from the fact that he was white, then get your ass to the police department right now.

toxisfuckingdumb
toxisfuckingdumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

Race is very relevant in society because humans have a natural tendency to classify and group. People tend to group one another into groups based on their appearances because it is very very easy. We group one another by race to the point where it because a societal factor and it will always be a societal factor because you cannot change human nature. The only scenario where race is not relevant in society is where there is only one race. Then we'll find something else to group by.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:27 PM Reply

Certain races committing more crime than others is a cultural thing and not a biological one.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:33 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 07:21 PM, BurntL wrote: people who critise race are dumb. race isn't a thing. everyone is the same.

"everyone is the same"
"is the same"
"the same"
"same"

BBS Signature
BurntL
BurntL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 07:27 PM, Cootie wrote: Certain races committing more crime than others is a cultural thing and not a biological one.

exactly my point

BurntL reviews stuff. BurntL makes BBS threads. BurntL draws art. BurntL thinks cool stuff. BurntL is awesome.

BBS Signature
TucoM
TucoM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At about 00:55, Gunny Hartmann gives the military view on race.

FMJ

BBS Signature
RyderOmega
RyderOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Filmmaker
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 07:14 PM, Fluttershy wrote: I'm not going to lie. I don't believe that some races are potentially superior to others genetically. However, I believe that race needs to be involved when investigating a crime, because it's likely that the race of the specific criminal explains a great deal about their motives more than other forms of evidence. I'm not going to go into this further, as I want the opinion of Newgrounds.

I don't necessarily believe that they should base the motive of the crime mainly on race. That seems rather...stupid.

PSN:Ryder-Omega/Steam:Ryder Omega

I'm that lazy bastard who doesn't bother to take down his damn Christmas lights. I still have the fucking kriss-kringle hats from last year!

BBS Signature
SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 08:21 PM, Travis wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over it, but I find it funny how hypocritical these people are and some of the absolute idiotic things they can say whereas other races have to be completely quiet over the issue.

Hypocrisy, and self contradiction seems to be all our society knows.

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:25 PM Reply

Yes, we should be able to embrace our different cultures whilst living together.
I don't know if we can, but it's a nice idea.

SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:30 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 08:25 PM, SnoopyChicken wrote: Yes, we should be able to embrace our different cultures whilst living together.
I don't know if we can, but it's a nice idea.

When a group of people live together, they create a culture.
So trying to maintain old tradition, and cultures started else
where, while trying to live a new group, is stubborn, and
will undoubtedly cause problems. Yet people still do it.
Maybe that's why we have stupid crap like china town,
where a group of people from somewhere else, try to bring
their cultural crap with them, and just end out segregating themselves,
for no good reason.

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 08:30 PM, SoapyCola wrote:
When a group of people live together, they create a culture.
So trying to maintain old tradition, and cultures started else
where, while trying to live a new group, is stubborn, and
will undoubtedly cause problems. Yet people still do it.
Maybe that's why we have stupid crap like china town,
where a group of people from somewhere else, try to bring
their cultural crap with them, and just end out segregating themselves,
for no good reason.

Well that's the risk isn't it? Multiculturalism is an experiment with uncertain results. I'd rather live in a world that has a little risk of segregation than a world of one boring homogeneous western society.
Where I used to live I could go to an indian sweetshop 5 minutes away from a French pâtisserie, where I'm at now it's pretty much just chip shops and cafes

SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 08:36 PM, SnoopyChicken wrote: Well that's the risk isn't it? Multiculturalism is an experiment with uncertain results. I'd rather live in a world that has a little risk of segregation than a world of one boring homogeneous western society.
Where I used to live I could go to an indian sweetshop 5 minutes away from a French pÃf¢tisserie, where I'm at now it's pretty much just chip shops and cafes

Let me be clear. I wasn't saying I wanted to change any of it. Except
maybe removing about 90% of all laws.

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

Race bias shouldn't even be considered today. Only species bias, until we come into contact with extraterrestrial life.

toxisfuckingdumb
toxisfuckingdumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 08:21 PM, Travis wrote: Here's my problem though, minorities want to bitch ALL of the fucking time about being given the short end of the stick, but yet MY race isn't handed benefits such as college aid or whatever else.

. . .

BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 09:18 PM Reply

As long as we take pride in our culture, whatever our culture, race is relevant. In that kind of context, it's not even an issue. It's just that some people feel it should decide your role in a class system, and even though it's a small percentage it still makes it an issue for everyone.

But we're learning to get along better with each other, slow as it may be.

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

The whole concept of "Race" is primarily for statistics and to categorize the humans by different means such as class,income, education, etc. I don't like the idea cause if you think about it what is a 'race' ? What are we competing for and why ?

They're trying to keep us down by keeping us separated, and make one group think they are better than another; which is a false idea.

race(3) - any contest or competition, especially to achieve superiority:

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

People that just blow off this thread obviously don't live in a big city. Especially with gang violence, race can show a lot about who a person may be affiliated with, but more importantly who other people may associate them with. People that grow up in a particular area inherit traits passed on from their surrounding environment, and you can gain insight on a situation based off of that evidence.

I don't believe this should change somebody's charge or sentence if they're accused of something, but it's definitely something that investigators and detectives should look at when trying to understand or find motives and whatnot.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

AutumnalEquinox
AutumnalEquinox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Art Lover
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Race shouldn't come into play during a crime, any one person from any one race can commit any one crime he/she chooses.

Sig made by Skaren
Formerly known as StonedGrenade

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Race is actually very relevant in society as it is.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 10:09 PM, Kwing wrote: People that just blow off this thread obviously don't live in a big city. Especially with gang violence, race can show a lot about who a person may be affiliated with, but more importantly who other people may associate them with. People that grow up in a particular area inherit traits passed on from their surrounding environment, and you can gain insight on a situation based off of that evidence.

That is why I scoff when people talk about the Deep South being just filled to the brim with racist. From what I hear from people who live in LA and NYC there is far more racial tension there than we have down here. Just about all white and black people are chill with each other and even the gangs are largely mixed race.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 10:38 PM, Cootie wrote: That is why I scoff when people talk about the Deep South being just filled to the brim with racist. From what I hear from people who live in LA and NYC there is far more racial tension there than we have down here. Just about all white and black people are chill with each other and even the gangs are largely mixed race.

Yeah it's the truth. There is a lot of racial tension in terms of gangs and youth in general in large cities, especially NY and LA. In East Los Angeles, which is basically an entirely Hispanic neighborhood, a black person will get shot and killed there for just being the wrong color.. the black population of East LA is less than 0.5% from what I have heard. Now go to South Los Angeles, like Compton, Inglewood, Watts, etc. and it's an equal mix of blacks and Mexicans, and there's just so much racial tension with gangs. Not very diverse because everyone lives in their own neighborhoods by race. I live in a city up north and where I live in it's far more mixed in terms of less segregation. However, there aren't any real ghettos here anyways..

MiniDroidKreator
MiniDroidKreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Should race be relevant in society? Apr. 8th, 2012 @ 10:54 PM Reply

At 4/8/12 10:11 PM, StonedGrenade wrote: Race shouldn't come into play during a crime, any one person from any one race can commit any one crime he/she chooses.

Exactly. It depends on the individual(s), not the entire group/race. Blaming an entire group for the actions of a few shows a lack of common sense.

Thanks, Chdonga, for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature