New Topic Respond to this Topic
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-20 00:32:58 Reply

At 4/19/12 11:45 PM, orangebomb wrote: I will agree that the Coyotes will be relocated soon, hopefully to Kansas City. Seriously, Canada has enough NHL teams already with 7, do they really need another one?

Well, you guys have 23 of them, plus we have the fanbase needed for a team to implant pretty much anywhere and be full house on every home game. Why not give us another team?

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-20 20:05:47 Reply

I wish Pittsburgh would just finally give up already. It's been an awful series and both these teams don't deserve to advance to Round 2, unfortunately one has to and I'm picking the one with Jagr.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-20 20:38:34 Reply

At 4/20/12 12:32 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/19/12 11:45 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Well, you guys have 23 of them, plus we have the fanbase needed for a team to implant pretty much anywhere and be full house on every home game. Why not give us another team?

True, there are some teams in America that only sell out a few times, if ever. But considering that Winnipeg got their own franchise from the old Atlanta Thrashers, I would've thought that they would put a relocating team to an American city next, in an attempt to even it out. Unless Toronto wants to have another team, about the only Canadian cities that would be able to support an NHL franchise would either be Hamliton, Quebec city, or Saskatoon.

I would think that Kansas City would be a logical choice, considering it wasn't that long ago that the Penguins were considering moving there if they didn't get out of bankrupcy, and KC built an arena in a hope that they would land either an NBA or NHL team.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-20 22:08:31 Reply

At 4/20/12 08:05 PM, tyler2513 wrote: I wish Pittsburgh would just finally give up already. It's been an awful series and both these teams don't deserve to advance to Round 2, unfortunately one has to and I'm picking the one with Jagr.

They will not give up. They are no losers like the Canucks.

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-21 19:55:23 Reply

I think you guys might get a kick out of this.

2012 NHL Playoffs!

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-21 20:40:09 Reply

The Preds beat the Red Wings. It will be funny seeing if the Coyotes face them in the next round.

Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-21 21:27:06 Reply

At 4/21/12 08:40 PM, ToddM wrote: The Preds beat the Red Wings. It will be funny seeing if the Coyotes face them in the next round.

That would be awesome, tbh.

Also lol @ Hossa / Torres thing. 25 games.

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 00:58:15 Reply

Blackhawks win! Another overtime game, and Johnathan Toews shut up those phony coyotes fans. This is just the 2nd time in NHL history that a playoff series had 5 overtime games (this being the other).

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 01:16:19 Reply

So the Red Wings got beaten in 5. My original prediction was a win for Detroit in 7, haha! But I can't say I'm dissapointed with the outcome of this serie. I really like the Predators and I'm happy they proved me wrong. But, I did say the Blues would win in 5, and I'm happy they did. Go Blues :)

Now let's just hope the Capitals fuck the Bruins up really good, and also that the Penguins will keep putting it inside in the net, and I'll be an happy man !

At 4/20/12 08:05 PM, tyler2513 wrote: I wish Pittsburgh would just finally give up already. It's been an awful series and both these teams don't deserve to advance to Round 2, unfortunately one has to and I'm picking the one with Jagr.

The Penguins were great throughout the whole serie, but Fleury played horribly for the first 3 matches. He only stopped sucking when the Penguins offense started to get some weight off his shoulders. I guess that the pressure really was killing him, but as soon as the team started scoring big in game four, he played great. I say the Penguins deserve the win :)

At 4/20/12 08:38 PM, orangebomb wrote: True, there are some teams in America that only sell out a few times, if ever. But considering that Winnipeg got their own franchise from the old Atlanta Thrashers, I would've thought that they would put a relocating team to an American city next, in an attempt to even it out. Unless Toronto wants to have another team, about the only Canadian cities that would be able to support an NHL franchise would either be Hamliton, Quebec city, or Saskatoon.

Quebec City will have a new coliseum soon. Dumb move by our Prime Minister and the stupid QC's mayor considering it is not even confirmed that we will have a pro team in Quebec City. But I really do hope they find a way to get something back from that investment...

I would think that Kansas City would be a logical choice, considering it wasn't that long ago that the Penguins were considering moving there if they didn't get out of bankrupcy, and KC built an arena in a hope that they would land either an NBA or NHL team.

And why do you think Kansas City would be a good place for hockey ?

Hemlok
Hemlok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 03:09:11 Reply

Ah well, maybe next year Sharks.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 08:07:06 Reply

Wednesday

NYR 2-3 OTT (Series tied 2-2)

New York leapt out of the gates, but still failed to do enough to kill off Ottawa. They came back big, scoring two in the second and pounding Lundqvist with shots, eventually drawing blood in overtime, to reduce the series to a best of three shootout.

Ottawa could be preparing for something big, as both of these teams need to advance in the playoffs for the sake of their supporters. It's now a question of who wants it more.

Prediction : Well, Rangers in 5 is dead in the water. Let's see if I can salvage a point from this...

VAN 3-1 LAK (LAK Leads 3-1)

Backs to the wall, the season on the line and only a President's Trophy to show for it? One goal to nil down, after the first 20? Call on Vancouver's Powerplay.

Mason Raymond missed a check on Anze Kopitar, to let the Kings' center through to score his first goal of the postseason, giving the Canucks an even deeper hole to climb out of, but with Cory Schneider in net, as opposed to Roberto Luongo, the Canucks seemed to respond. Schneider made 43 saves and the Sedins combined for three points (hey, baby steps!), with the Canucks' third goal being the prettiest goal that the twins have combined on for a while. Perhpas they now have a spring back in their step.

Where does this leave Roberto Luongo? A massive contract and a team that doesn't want him to play when the chips are down. Something for in the aftermath of the playoffs, I feel.

Prediction : Well, it's still LA's series to lose

PIT 10-3 PHI (PHI Leads 3-1)

Backs to the wall, the season on the line and only an Art Ross trophy winner, Hart candidate and a returning superstar to show for it? Call on Pittsburgh's Power Play.

Okay, so the penalty killing of both sides was frankly appaling (PIT 2/5; PHI 5/9), as Philly's three goals were scored on the powerplay. However, Pittsburgh came out of Philly with their season in tact and a massive shift of momentum, chasing Ilya Bryzgalov (13 saves on 18 shots) as Kris Letang found the net at 3.07 in the 2nd. Philly would ship another 5 goals and by the end of the night, the building sounded very empty, with not a lot of noise being made by the home faithful and sheepish Flyers fans carrying brooms away with them.

Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby showed just how dangerous a 1-2 punch these centers can be, scoring 3 points each and getting a hat-trick from Jordan Staal, who tied his career best, with 6 goals ina playoff season (6 in 20 games, 2008), to pad the offense. Pittsburgh still need a miracle, but a little confidence back for Marc-Andre Fleury shows that there might be life in the Pittsburgh Penguins yet.

Prediction : 3-1 down, I'm still not sure that Pittsburgh can do this. Well worth watching, though:

I'll see if I can get a few more days worth done this afternoon.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Knights
Knights
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Filmmaker
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 14:41:10 Reply

Well, I'm calling it: Flyers beat the Pens 4-2 in the quarterfinals. Unless the Pens can make at least 3 goals in the next 5 minutes, they're screwed.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 14:45:03 Reply

At 4/22/12 02:41 PM, knightsofthecircle wrote: Well, I'm calling it: Flyers beat the Pens 4-2 in the quarterfinals. Unless the Pens can make at least 3 goals in the next 5 minutes, they're screwed.

Gddamit.

ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 15:12:43 Reply

Well the Flyers win 5-1 in game 6. Who do they face next?

BBS Signature
AsthmaticHamster
AsthmaticHamster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 15:15:50 Reply

At 4/22/12 03:12 PM, ToddM wrote: Well the Flyers win 5-1 in game 6. Who do they face next?

I was hoping the Flyers would be eliminated by the time Pico Day rolled around...

Guess we'll have to watch hockey at the NG HQ on Saturday night...

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 15:23:06 Reply

Time to pray for Boston to get ELIMINATED.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-22 22:52:09 Reply

At 4/22/12 01:16 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
And why do you think Kansas City would be a good place for hockey ?

Well, I figured that Phoenix, Miami and Tampa have hockey teams as of now, even though those places aren't exactly hockey hotbeds, and the former 2 have really no history of major playoff success, {'96 Panthers are the exception.} or having huge or at least noticeable fanbases that would make them stand out. I mean, for 20 years or so, the NHL has did a lot to expand their game to the South, with so-so results at best, but even with that, I don't think that they are going to stop expanding, or at least relocating their lesser known teams every so often.

Plus, it's not like Kansas City hasn't had a hockey team before, {although with little success} so they have that going for them. If Columbus has a hockey team, and will host the All-Star Game next year, {despite having virtually no history of hockey whatsoever.} why not Kansas City, which are similar size markets?

Oh, and the Flyers finally closed out the Pens today, which made me very happy. Who knows, if we get Ottawa in the second round, then there should be no reason why Philly wouldn't be favored in the next couple of series.

BBS Signature
ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 00:25:47 Reply

At 4/22/12 10:52 PM, orangebomb wrote:

You do know that Tampa won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 09:07:47 Reply

Thursday

FLA 0-4 NJD (2-2)

When he is on his 'A' Game, Martin Brodeur is one of the toughest competitors on the New Jersey Devils. The Florida Panthers found out to their cost, as Brodeur stopped 26 shots for his 24th career NHL Playoff shutout, breaking a tie with the legendary Patrick Roy.

Brodeur's former understudy, Scott Clemensen stood tall for over half the game, until Zach Parise found the net and in the third period, he cracked a little under the unrelenting pressure of the Devils, shipping 4 goals on 27 shots.

New Jersey got a good solid performance all around and will be looking to take things further in game 5. Back to Florida, with a tight series.

Also, can the commentators please learn how to pronouncy "Zidlicky"? It's Zid-lick-ee, not Zid-lick-ski. Douche.

Prediction : I think we're looking to go all the way here...

BOS 1-2 WSH (2-2)

Braden Holtby continues to make a name for himself, establishing a record of 2-2 in his first playoffs, winning a tight decision against the Bruins, with standing ovations for fast glove saves, as he whips the glove up to snare the puck with almost effortless grace.

Alex Semin's powerplay goal in the second was the difference between the teams, as goals in the first from Johansson and Peverly cancelled each other out. He took it well, finding a roof of the net shot over Tim Thomas's left shoulder, from the face off circle, in acres of space. Perhaps the Boston defence was at fault, but it was on the power play and you can't be everywhere at once.

I'm loving this series. Washington seemed to wait the season out to show up, which has meant they've hit the playoffs hard... kind of like Ovechkin hitting someone.

Prediction : I'm still on for Caps in 6

PHX 3-2 CHI (OT) (PHX Leads 3-1)

These teams go to overtime. Let's just cut the first hour out and then start the game, maybe? Hang on, is this suspension to Torres meant to hurt the Coyotes? Apparently not in game 4. I still can't get over how dirty that hit was, but then again, we have two teams consistently going to overtime, making a very entertaining series.

Phoenix is in the ascendancy and Chicago have been there and done that, with the majority of the squad having won the cup before. I'm still enjoying seeing this, as Mike Smith continues to impress (Though his rebound control leaves a little to be desired) in net for Phoenix, while Chicago is one of the most offensively gifted teams, even without Marian Hossa.

Prediction : Looks like I might have gone a game or two too many for Phoenix to win...

STL 2-1 SJS (STL Leads 3-1)

A bad bounce for Niemi, all but a shutout from Brian Elliott - this series seems destined to go one way. The Sharks are singing the Blues and other associated puns seems to be meaning that one of the most dominant teams in the regular season will carry this through into the second round of the playoffs.

Players like TJ Oshie and David Backes are bossing the offence, even in close games such as this, but the depth came from Patrice Berglund and David Perron (2 assists each), with a well rehearsed set play, of BJ Crombeen stepping in on a line change, unchallenged and rifling a shot past Niemi, from a wraparound pass.

What worries me about the Blues is the youth of the majority of the squad - these buggers could be atop the West standings for ages now.

Prediction : I want the Sharks to win 1 more, get me another point

I'll see if I can get Friday's games done tonight. We'll see how it goes.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 14:06:06 Reply

I'm so glad Vancouver is out. After last year's poor display of sportsmanship by the fans, they definitely didn't deserve the honours this year.

Also go Ottawa! Beat them Rangers!

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 14:36:46 Reply

Friday

PHI 2-3 PIT (PHI leads 3-2)

The team that scores first loses in thei series. Philadelphia kept that streak alive, scoring first and going on to lose, blowing their second chance at killing off the Penguins. Worries for Philadeliphia might be starting to creep in, the lead shrinking to just one game and two chances having gone begging.

Danny Briere shows why he loves postseason play, scoring anotehr assist, to give him 7 points to start the playoffs. He's not done yet and he could make a run at his franchise record (30 in a playoffs season) That's if Claude Giroux doesn't do it (11 points in 5 games so far). Jagr also has 7 in 5, so there is still great production from Philadelphia.

Jordan Staal scored the goal of his career, with Kris Letang's bullet of a pass to Tyler Kennedy at Center ice between the benches, tipped so neatly on towards Staal, who did the rest and found the roof of the net, to bring Pittsburgh level. Staal later turned provider, feeding Matt Cooke, to set Kennedy up for the eventual game winner, lifting the roof at Consol Energy Center. Reducing the number of shots has reduced the scoring in this series, but the goalies are still not all that settled, Bryzgalov letting in 3 goals on 23 shots, while Fleury was close, with 2 on 26. Credit to Fleury, he did stand up to a barrage of 14 in the third from the Flyers offence.

Prediction : A little bit more respectability from Pittsburgh, but is it too little, too late?

DET 1-2 NSH (NSH wins 4-1)

And first past the post in 2012 is... Nashville? "Hockey Town is taken Down" said the announcer emphatically, as Detroit failed to capitalise on massive pressure in the dying minutes of this tilt.

I think I slightly overestimated Detroit's depth and skill, but I massively underestimated the talent and belief that Barry Trotz has at his disposal. Pekka Rinne kept the Predators in the game and the forwards as a unit attacked Detroit relentlessly, getting the win that they thoroughly deserved.

It looks likely that Nashville will move on to meet either Phoenix or Chicago (It's definate now, but try to believe that I'm writing this on Saturday morning!), which could lead to a long, defensive series, judging by how those two teams have been going at it.

Prediction : DET in 6 - No Points

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 20:45:45 Reply

At 4/23/12 12:25 AM, ToddM wrote:
At 4/22/12 10:52 PM, orangebomb wrote:

You do know that Tampa won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

I know that. As I mentioned before, Phoenix and Florida have virtually no history of hockey success {other than '96 with the Panthers.} whereas Tampa has won a Stanley Cup in '04 and arguably should've won the Eastern conference last year. I'll chalk that one up to not understanding the post.

Well, so much for the Canucks, getting their asses handed to by LA. Dare I say that this could be one of the biggest upsets in recent history?

BBS Signature
MysticMan
MysticMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-23 22:29:16 Reply

At 4/20/12 10:08 PM, Gambit wrote:
They will not give up. They are no losers like the Canucks.

Haha yeah, looks like they will be swinging golf clubs now

2012 NHL Playoffs!

ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-24 00:14:10 Reply

Well we got a Coyotes and Preds matchup in the second round.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 02:13:08 Reply

My hopes / predictions for the final games of the first round:

Ottawa vs NY Rangers

Boston vs Washington

Florida vs New Jersey

YOU'VE HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 10:35:10 Reply

Right, let's see if I can break the back of this today...

Saturday

WSH 4-3 BOS (WSH leads 3-2)

Back and forth we go. End to end stuff, with two pretty good goalies duelling properly. The goals that you see are either going to be spectacular, or scrappy and the saves will be amazing. That was certainly the case in this tilt, as Boston spotted Washington to a two goal lead, before roaring back to tie it. The scoresheet looks like the venues for a seven game series (W-W-B-B-W-B-W), which is where this one looks like it's heading.

Holtby's 34 Saves upstaged the more experienced Tim Thomas again, but don't expect the Bruins to just roll voer and play dead. They are the number 2 seeds, after all.

Prediction : Come on Washington - one more Win...

OTT 2-0 NYR (OTT Leads 3-2)

Ah, the promise that Craig Anderson showed when he was playing in Denver. Now setting a new career high in playoff wins, he shut out the Rangrs on 41 shots. From the highlights being dominated by the seige of Lundqvist's net, the Rangers can't have gotten too much in the way of quality scoring production from their forwards.

That said, Henrik kept the Rangers in the game. He turned aside 28 of 29 shots and only an empty net tally from Jason Spezza made the scoreline less flattering for New York.

Another great series, built on two solid goaltenders. Could it go to seven? Should do, I'm not sure that the Rangers will give in that easily.

Prediction : Rangers need to win a couple to reach round 2. Possible, but not probable... yet

NJD 0-3 FLA (FLA Leads 3-2)

The fans are getting used to seeing the Panthers winning in the postseason. That said, they've got to be running out of plastic rats. Please don't buy them any more!

Kris Versteeg scored a pretty goal from a narrow angle to give Florida a 1 goal lead, while Jose Theodore kept the Devils at bay. Versteeg then turned provider, drawing Brodeur out of his net, to give Scottie Upshall an easy goal, to put the Panthers 2-0 up, with less than seven minutes left to play. One last roll of the dice for the Devils and Brodeur gets pulled, only for Tomas Kopecky to break past Ilya Kovalchuk, who hooked Kopecky, giving the referees no choice, but to award the goal. I love that rule, though Kovalchuk should be credited with PIMs on the scoresheet, or something to show what happened.

Can Marty bounce back? Can the Devils offence find a way past Theodore? Wait and see!

Prediction : Devils in 5 - we're 5 games in, but no winner yet.

CHI 2-1 PHX (OT) (PHX leads 3-2)

This is an NHL Record - 5 straight games in the playoffs between these teams has gone to overtime. Great for the fans, not so great for their blood pressure.

Jonathan Towes walked the puck away from the faceoff circle and lanced one over Mike Smith's right shoulder, to give the Blackhawks hope and a trip back to Chicago. Anything can happen in the Windy City and this one will be earmarked as one to watch.

Mike Smith is still forging himself a great reputation in Phoenix (Dallas must regret getting rid of him, as might Tampa Bay, too). 36 Saves was good, but not quite good enough, as Shane Doan elected to take the puck behind the Chicago net late in the third, as opposed to trying to sneak a shot through the padding of Corey Crawford (18 saves on 19 shots). The problem for Phoenix is being outshot 12-4 in the 1st and 3rd periods in their own building. Be brave, shoot the puck more and you should score more goals, no matter how good the goalie is.

Prediction : Could still go to seven. Go on Coyotes, let them win one and bring it back to the desert!

SJS 1-3 STL (STL Wins Series 4-1)

The Blues advance for the first time in 10 years. A sweet feeling in Missouri, no doubt. The amount of noise made at the Scottrade center would seem to indicate as much. It could have been worse than that for the Sharks,a s they have been outplayed pretty much all series by the Blues, as you would expect from a 2-7 seeded matchup. The sharks had burned a lot of energy to get to the postseason and started flagging, which become more noticeable, the deeper into the series we got.

In spite of that and in spite of Cup Champion goalie Antti Niemi taking a walkabout early on in the 1st, nearly coughing up the lead, San Jose struck first. Joe Thornton being at the right place at the right time, to clear up the mess created by Winnik and Mitchell.

Then came the march of the Blues in the 3rd. Jamie Langenbrunner got together with Scott Nichol and tied the game. This one was a little scrappy, but it was a quick break down the ice, that did for San Jose then. David Peron showed off his soft hands, redirecting a shot from the point past Niemi, to take the lead less than a minute later and in their desperation, pulling Niemi from the net, Andy MacDonald exposed the empty net with a decent piece of control at full stretch.

The Blues march on, no upset here. They are now the top seeded team in the West (perhaps deservedly)

Prediction : STL in 6. One point

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 12:07:13 Reply

Sunday

PIT 1-5 PHI (PHI wins Series 4-2)

"Part of what makes our sport so great is the war that these guys went to." - Brian Engblom

Well, this was largely the story of the series in 60 minutes - Philadephia dominated from the get-go, Pittsburgh made a rally, when all seemed lost and then Philly closed it out in style.

Claude Giroux has been the man of the series, indeed the man of the playoffs so far - 14 points in 6 games (6g, 8a). About the only thing he didn't do was score one of Philly's four game winners. Danny Briere must be looking over his shoulder for his record of 30 points in a playoffs for a Flyer. Still, he won't be too peeved if Giroux beats it - that should lead them to a cup, if it happens. Give him the Conn Smythe now, everyone else needs to play fantastically for the remainder of the playoffs. That said, Briere is on pace for 30 in 23 again.

Scott Hartnell's tactic of go to the net, dive headlong at the puck and hope for the best came up with the game winner. An unusual goal, but it continued breaking the spirit of the Penguins. Crosby said that they didn't execute and, like me, they underestimated the Flyers, after the flurry of activity before the season, dealing talented players left, right and centre.

Prediction : PIT in 4. No Points

BOS 4-3 WSH (OT) (Series tied 3-3)

A real back-and-forth tilt here, with Boston never more than a goal in front and Washington coming back to tie it up every time. Holtby and Thomas ensured that we ended up with a blend of good quality and really scrappy goals for this as well. Alex Ovechkin stepped up when it mattered and kept the Capitals in the contest, although the result didn't go their way, in the end.

Surprisingly evenly matched, these teams are heading for a seventh game and from what I've seen so far, I can't separeate them, either. Wednesday night will be a fantastic tilt, with whomever wins going forth deservedly, of that we can be sure. Holtby, or Thomas to lead his team to victory - 60 minutes to tell us, I get the feeling that we could see overtime. Which Nicklas Backstrom could we see - the clean one, who scores points, or the dirty one, who makes bad decisions and gets suspended?

LAK 2-1 VAN (OT) (LAK wins Series 4-1)

There is a silver lining for the Canucks - Luongo may waive his no-trade clause and allow Cory Schneider to be the number 1 goalie for them next year. He wants to do what is best for the team and that's a refreshing attitude in professional sport altogether. Whether or not you will see many takers for that and his substantial salary, for a keeper past his prime, who has issues in the postseason remains to be seen. But that's it for the Canucks this season.

The Sedins clicked - too little, too late, as Hamhuis fed Daniel, who passed to to Henrik and into the back of the net. A lot of stock was placed on the Swedes doing well and they haven't quite managed to bring home the goods, though a feew tweaks to the team around them and the Canucks can still play dangerous hockey - just ask the Avalanche.

Not to take anything away from LA, though. Jonathan Quick lived up to his name, stopping 26 of 27 shots, keeping his glove hot and his reputation fearsome. The 26-year old Quick has won his first playoff series at the third attempt, losing 4-2 in '10 and '11. His Save Percentage climbed and the GAA dropped, so he's looking confident, going into a second round matchup with the Blues. He'll have to be, as their combination of keepers won the William M. Jenings Trophy. Mind you, Quick is one of the Vezina finalists.

Prediction : VAN in 5. No Points

You know, I suck at predicting.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 14:24:18 Reply

At 4/22/12 10:52 PM, orangebomb wrote: Well, I figured that Phoenix, Miami and Tampa have hockey teams as of now, even though those places aren't exactly hockey hotbeds, and the former 2 have really no history of major playoff success, {'96 Panthers are the exception.} or having huge or at least noticeable fanbases that would make them stand out. I mean, for 20 years or so, the NHL has did a lot to expand their game to the South, with so-so results at best, but even with that, I don't think that they are going to stop expanding, or at least relocating their lesser known teams every so often.

Plus, it's not like Kansas City hasn't had a hockey team before, {although with little success} so they have that going for them. If Columbus has a hockey team, and will host the All-Star Game next year, {despite having virtually no history of hockey whatsoever.} why not Kansas City, which are similar size markets?

Well, that still doesn't tell me why Kansas City should have a team. You only mentionned the fact that other cities with a similar fanbase when it comes to hockey already have teams. So you are not saying KC is a good place for a hockey, you are just saying it isn't worst than Miami, Phoenix or Tampa. I think we should give cities who like hockey a lot a chance to get some teams rather than trying to expand in the South of the USA.

Oh, and the Flyers finally closed out the Pens today, which made me very happy. Who knows, if we get Ottawa in the second round, then there should be no reason why Philly wouldn't be favored in the next couple of series.

I'm dissapointed. I really hoped the Penguins could get back into this and win. I don't like the Flyers except for a few of their forwards, and I really hope they don't make it past the second round.

At 4/23/12 02:06 PM, Gambit wrote: I'm so glad Vancouver is out. After last year's poor display of sportsmanship by the fans, they definitely didn't deserve the honours this year.

Also go Ottawa! Beat them Rangers!

Why would you want the Senators to win over the Rangers ? :P

At 4/24/12 12:14 AM, ToddM wrote: Well we got a Coyotes and Preds matchup in the second round.

Yup, all the series are over in the Western Conference. So we will see the Blues against the Kings as well as the Coyotes versus the Predators in the second round. Damn, can't wait to see these series !

As for the Eastern Conference, every serie except for the Flyers/Penguins will end in 7. I hope the Capitals win this tonight and kick the Bruins out of the playoffs. if the Panthers and Rangers win, I'll be very happy :)

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 16:07:36 Reply

So if the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup this year, will you please stop watching Hockey and admit you're a moron?

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2012 NHL Playoffs! 2012-04-25 17:33:02 Reply

At 4/22/12 03:15 PM, AsthmaticHamster wrote:
At 4/22/12 03:12 PM, ToddM wrote: Well the Flyers win 5-1 in game 6. Who do they face next?
I was hoping the Flyers would be eliminated by the time Pico Day rolled around...

Guess we'll have to watch hockey at the NG HQ on Saturday night...

It all depends on if they're playing on that night. That just makes me wish that I could get sorted for that, but I've not got enough money.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature