New Topic Respond to this Topic
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
PC, Mac, and Linux competition Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:31 PM Reply

Do you think that the PC, Mac, and Linux should be more competitive with there games like Xbox, Playstation, and Wii? While many games can go cross platform with each other, some other games could be exclusive on either console. Think this is a good idea? I think it would be nice for the Mac and Linux to have more and better games, that way more people can use those operating systems.

Death
Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:54 PM Reply

PCs can run windows and linux so I think you mixed your words up there. anyway...

there shouldn't be competition between them, there should just be more and better ports of games from Windows to Mac and Linux. the reason they lack so many is because most of the time developers and publishers don't see a big enough market share in those OS'es to even try making a decent Mac or Linux version.

AliMaredia
AliMaredia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

When you are getting an OS, you basically have only 2 choices: Windows or some form of Unix.

With Unix, there are two main variations: Mac OS X and the most popular form of Linux: Ubuntu. Of course, there are many other variations, but they are less popular.

Microsoft owns more than 80% of the business, and with Apple taking up what little else, Linux isn't a competitive player in the market. All of these operating systems are borrowing ideas from each other and trying to innovate faster and improve their products more efficiently than their competitors. That's when it's just Microsoft vs. Apple. Linux is mostly freeware, and it looks like it's going to stay that way.

Yes, I'm from Texas. No, I ain't a cowboy.

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:23 AM Reply

At 2/5/13 09:36 PM, AliMaredia wrote: Microsoft owns more than 80% of the business, and with Apple taking up what little else, Linux isn't a competitive player in the market. All of these operating systems are borrowing ideas from each other and trying to innovate faster and improve their products more efficiently than their competitors. That's when it's just Microsoft vs. Apple. Linux is mostly freeware, and it looks like it's going to stay that way.

Linux is not "freeware"

It's free software (as in freedom!). There's a big difference.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 07:35 AM Reply

Most games are available for Windows. I like how some games are exclusive to specific consoles, but at the same time it's annoying that games I'd like to play are available for consoles that I don't have and don't want to own. If everything was available for PC it would be a lot easier.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 07:55 AM Reply

Windows for PC because Macs are overpriced pieces of SHIT.

TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:55 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Windows for PC because Macs are overpriced pieces of SHIT.

My $1200 pc can do things a $3k mac could only dream of...and im just talking laptops here.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:26 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:55 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Windows for PC because Macs are overpriced pieces of SHIT.

Macs aren't bad at all, but they are overpriced.
Most of the pay just goes to the brand, not the product.

scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 02:54 PM, Death wrote: PCs can run windows and linux so I think you mixed your words up there. anyway...

Can run Mac OSX, too, but you need some certain hardware.

At 2/6/13 08:04 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote: My $1200 pc can do things a $3k mac could only dream of...and im just talking laptops here.

If you're talking games here, Mac can also run BF3 and Far Cry 3, but you just need to boot it up for Windows. And for 3D rendering and benchmarking, same rules apply and I think you can also do this on Mac OSX, too.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 06:02 PM Reply

I would love to move over to Linux full time, I much prefer it for every day tasks, but gaming support has always been sketchy.

I haven't ran a Linux installation as my main OS since an old version of Ubuntu about 4 years back, and it does seem to be gaining a lot more credibility as a serious gaming platform recently, so I'll definitely be keeping my eye on further developments.

It says a lot when I can do things faster through workarounds like PuTTY and WinSCP on a remote machine than I can on my local Windows machine.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

A Mac technically is a Pc. Mac and Linus are operating systems. Apple just makes their operating system a bit annoying so you can't run it on any Pc except their own unless you do hackintoshing.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Linux has huge potential in gaming. Linux tops Windows and OS X because of its multithreading system and garbage management. Graphic? OpenGL can perform on much higher speed with same graphic performance as DirectX, this has been proven by Valve.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 09:42 PM, Elitistinen wrote: OpenGL can perform on much higher speed with same graphic performance as DirectX, this has been proven by Valve.

That's true, but making a game in Assembly or just typing binary can produce much faster games that either of those above. It's just how much convince is really worth compared to power.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 04:39 PM, MintPaw wrote:
At 2/9/13 09:42 PM, Elitistinen wrote: OpenGL can perform on much higher speed with same graphic performance as DirectX, this has been proven by Valve.
That's true, but making a game in Assembly or just typing binary can produce much faster games that either of those above. It's just how much convince is really worth compared to power.

Why does everyone assume OpenGL as rocket science? It's just people's problem that they can't master programming and math on their own. We are no longer in OpenGL 2 and actually legacy codes have been cleaned up quite a bit.

On the side note that you say using ASM to produce faster than those above, I would wonder how many years you are deep in programming and software development. In the end of the day, it doesn't matter what tool people use, as long as they can implement and put their final prods to use. I had witnessed people code real time demo from scratch in x86 ASM for 4 kilobytes compo and still win the thing like anyone else. I suggest OpenGL because it's the best alternative to DirectX, it's open source and it's cross platform.

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 07:35 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
snip

Hey man, I recommend you check out this thread
Not sure if you were aware of the Club or not. You seem to enjoy using GNU/Linux, so I'm just pointing it out just in case.
Maybe together we can breathe some new life in it. It's kinda near death.

BBS Signature
qwerop
qwerop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:21 AM Reply

it depends from what you need me im doing movies and i found a perfect tool in final cut pro but it's does not matter cause it's a tool you have to use the one thats fits you right and at the end in flash making it's only the imagination thats matter... so stop fighting and create in peace and harmony to make good animations to keep fans on this websites and to keep it on the top :D

if u want something intelligent u'r at the wrong place

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:50 AM Reply

At 2/10/13 07:35 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 2/10/13 04:39 PM, MintPaw wrote:
Why does everyone assume OpenGL as rocket science? It's just people's problem that they can't master programming and math on their own. We are no longer in OpenGL 2 and actually legacy codes have been cleaned up quite a bit.

It's not that it's hard, it's just that DX is a lot easier, it has networking, input, sound, among other things. Graphics are just one piece. While using OpenGL there's normally a lot more to do.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 04:01 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 12:21 AM, qwerop wrote: it depends from what you need me im doing movies and i found a perfect tool in final cut pro

For Windows, there's always Windows Movie Maker! :D

qwerop
qwerop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 08:15 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 04:01 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/14/13 12:21 AM, qwerop wrote: it depends from what you need me im doing movies and i found a perfect tool in final cut pro
For Windows, there's always Windows Movie Maker! :D

are you kidding me -.-"

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

At 2/14/13 08:15 AM, qwerop wrote: are you kidding me -.-"

I'm telling the truth. For real. :P

Not saying it's any good...
qwerop
qwerop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 17th, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 2/14/13 10:32 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/14/13 08:15 AM, qwerop wrote: are you kidding me -.-"
I'm telling the truth. For real. :P

Not saying it's any good...

wait......mm XP or mm 7 there is a world between theses

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to PC, Mac, and Linux competition Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 04:51 AM Reply

At 2/17/13 08:20 PM, qwerop wrote: wait......mm XP or mm 7 there is a world between theses

A big gap, a void, a whole universe. :/