New Topic Respond to this Topic
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Another question about uploading Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 08:59 PM Reply

This might sound like a stupid question, but I want to be 100% sure that there will be no controversy.

Let say a semi-popular Youtube channel uses my beat. They own the rights to it because I made it specifically for them to use on their videos, but I'm still the original creator. That being said, they also gave me the a-okay to upload the full song to Youtube and NG.

Can I still upload it here. If so, do I have to put down in the uploader comments that the Youtube Channel that uses the beat said it was okay for me to upload the song here?

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Another question about uploading Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

Here's the thing, there's a difference between making a song for someone, and giving them exclusive rights to that song.

Did they specify that they would own exclusive rights to the song when you created it for them? Did you agree to the terms?

If not, they don't own the song, you just told them they could use it (for whatever they're using it for)... Meaning you can still do whatever the hell you want with it as long as you didn't specify that they now own the exclusive rights to it.

And if you did tell them they could have exclusive rights to the song, I hope you got a damn good deal.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Another question about uploading Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

I was always told something different. I thought that if you give someone a song, and they don't have to pay money for it, they own the rights to the song no matter who created it.

At 3/30/12 09:10 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Did they specify that they would own exclusive rights to the song when you created it for them? Did you agree to the terms?

None of that was said, no documents or paperwork was filled or signed. I basically asked them if they needed a theme song for their videos, then they asked me if I could make them a song. So I sent them the mp3, and now they use the song in all their videos. That's basically what happened.

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Another question about uploading Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 3/30/12 09:24 PM, dlxrevolution wrote: None of that was said, no documents or paperwork was filled or signed. I basically asked them if they needed a theme song for their videos, then they asked me if I could make them a song. So I sent them the mp3, and now they use the song in all their videos. That's basically what happened.

Just making them a song does not void your rights over it. In this case, you still own the song, as such, you can do whatever the hell you want with it, you don't need to ask their permission.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature