00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LordOfAllDucks just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly

42,136 Views | 641 Replies

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 15:57:09

At 7/11/13 03:42 PM, Feoric wrote:
At 7/11/13 03:08 PM, Korriken wrote: I knew she would be granting the prosecution's request to tack on the lesser charges. Luckily only 1 could stick, that was Manslaughter. the rest were just too absurd even for the judge.
That's included de facto since lesser crimes are included as per Florida law. I believe the state wanted to change the jury instructions to remind them of that. Manslaughter wasn't added in, it was always there.

No the jury was always going to be instructed about man slaughter they did move to add the child abuse and 3rd degree specifically.
Based on what the judge said.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 20:11:26

At 7/10/13 10:10 PM, Ceratisa wrote: A member of the neighborhood following a suspicious person isn't assault.

It can be if the followed is threatened by the follower. It also looks to be a problem since every time I heard the 911 call the operator clearly tells him not to follow Martin, that they don't need him to do that.

It is NOT illegal to follow someone.

You've never heard of stalking then? Before you go there, no I am not suggesting that Zimmerman stalked Martin. I'm simply pointing out you made a factually incorrect statement.

TM had gotten away from Zimmerman, unless you think he openly lied about that during the time of the phone call to the non-emergency number.

This is always my problem, the "he got away from Zimmerman" bit, why is Zimmerman pursuing to begin with? He's not the police, he's not a deputy or anything. He's a guy in his neighborhood same as you or I. Watch organizations are voluntary and I've seen no evidence to suggest the one he's in to have police power. He also made a conscious choice to continue to pursue after being told that was not necessary for the situation to be handled by the police who would respond after 911 informed them.

I would really appreciate it if you gave your break down of what happened right up to the shooting that fits with expert testimony.

I'd appreciate it if the people who take Zimmerman's side would first give me a rational, defensible explanation for why it's ok for a citizen to act like a cop, and chase someone down that "looked suspicious" with a loaded gun. Because no matter how the fight that resulted went down, to me the whole situation is avoided if Zimmerman simply listens to the 911 operator and doesn't follow Martin but let's the police do their job.

Zimmerman sustained multiple blows, the experts testified that it was unlikely that the lacerations on the back of his head both came from the same impact.

So because he was hit by the person he chose to follow, who doesn't know him, or his motives for that pursuit, he's automatically the victim? Sorry, I'm not seeing it. I mean, I'm not saying I'm glad he got hurt, but when you make the decision to do what he did, you open yourself up to those consequences, or worse.

Zimmerman had a broken nose and two black eyes.

Martin was shot and died from his wounds. I think Zimmerman got the better of that particular exchange that his bad decision initiated.

Mr Good the only witness to part of the altercation (Who could actually see) puts Trayvon Martin on top with Zimmerman on the bottom crying for help.

So let me put this question to you: Your walking down the street (and I have not heard solid evidence Martin was doing anything but), a strange man starts to follow you. You keep walking, he keeps following...what are your options? True, I think Martin should have called the cops, knocked on a door, or simply ran for it. Turning around to confront Zimmerman was HIS mistake, but ok, once committed to that action, is it not reasonable to conclude if you are threatened you need to neutralize the threat? Seems to me both of them made mistakes in how they handled this but Zimmerman has more culpability for me because it ALL gets avoided if the 911 operator says "we don't need you to do that" in reference to pursuing Martin, and Zimmerman then says "ok, I'm getting back in my truck now and I'll wait for the police".

The use of marijuana likely did have a result on TM's mental state according to the ME.

Again, I don't see how this negates the bad, and potentially illegal decision by Zimmerman to pursue.

TM according to Jeantel and Zimmerman's phone call had safety eluded Zimmerman.

But Zimmerman continued the pursuit didn't he?

TM was on top which isn't even denied by prosecution at this point.

Again, it can be argued he was defending himself from a stranger he thought was a threat. Which would be logical to conclude since said stranger has NO LEGAL STANDING to be following ANYBODY.

TM actively participated in fights and considered himself to be a gang banger from his own social networking posts and text messages.

Again, what does this have to do with Zimmerman following the kid with no legal standing to do so, and after being advised not to? I mean, I don't see how this makes Zimmerman look better. If anything it makes him seem even stupider in my opinion.

Zimmerman's altercation with a civilian dressed officer which was completely dropped was eight years ago.

Oh, so it's cool to bring in evidence that paints a negative picture of Martin, but not Zimmerman. Especially when Zimmerman was actually CHARGED with putting his hands on somebody when he shouldn't, and with Martin it sounds like hearsay and the crap a teenager writes on FB (which I know adults who right BS on FB, things said on FB aren't always the best source).

Zimmerman was at the time borderline obese.

So? My brother was MORBIDLY obese for most of his life and was still able to win fights if he got dragged into them. This is not really applicable. He doesn't have the stamina for a long fight, but most street fights tend to be over quick, they aren't drawn out things like UFC or boxing.

The autopsy report as mentioned showed 3 abrasions on TM's knuckles. The report says these markings could have INFACT have occurred during the altercation.

I don't think anyone disputes Martin hit him. I think it's the WHY that's under scrutiny now.

The fact that he shot TM does not change anything, no one is arguing this point.

It doesn't? Because I'd like to know why someone who is not an officer of the law is chasing after teenagers in the dark because HE thinks they look suspicious, with a loaded weapon, and the hell with anyone who tells him not to do that.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 21:12:24

If you want to comment why not give your run down of events?

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 22:04:45

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 22:16:53

So if the black community feels it is wronged it is wronged?

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 22:55:28

At 7/11/13 10:16 PM, Ceratisa wrote: So if the black community feels it is wronged it is wronged?

Isn't that how it works with every community?

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-11 23:05:00

At 7/11/13 10:55 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 7/11/13 10:16 PM, Ceratisa wrote: So if the black community feels it is wronged it is wronged?
Isn't that how it works with every community?

Well then I guess they would have made that distinction?

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 01:07:42

The fucking Prosecutors managed to get Manslaughter on the options of possible convictions. FUCK. They knew they couldn't prove 2nd degree Murder because their prosecution totally backfired and continued to strengthen the Self Defense argument so now they move for Manslaughter so the jury goes "Oh, well he DID kill this kid, maybe he didn't murder him but it deserves some punishment, right? Manslaughter seems like a good punishment. Yeah let's go with that." Except that could still add up to decades in jail when he acted within his fucking rights.

That's what pisses me off, the man acted within his rights, he was getting beaten to a pulp for confronting someone in his neighborhood who he thought was doing wrong, and he thought "I might die tonight." as he was getting beaten. So he pulled his gun and killed him and now its like why the fuck do we even HAVE stand your ground laws if not for this EXACT reason?

What's been annoying about some of these comments is that they act like following someone is a crime, it's not. You know what IS a crime? Beating someone half to death because they may have felt threatened. You can feel as threatened as you want that doesn't give you the right to beat someone into the ground and nearly end their life because you wanted to be a hard gangsta. Zimmerman may have been a self righteous, paranoid wannabe cop but that is not illegal. It's not harmful AT ALL to just follow someone on a public street, it's not harmful or threatening to ask someone what they're up to especially if they think you might be up to something. What IS illegal is beating someone for doing so. He didn't even stop at the first punch, he kept going and going on his face. Who wouldn't use lethal force when their head is getting bashed into the ground?

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 01:24:37

At 7/12/13 01:07 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: The fucking Prosecutors managed to get Manslaughter on the options of possible convictions. FUCK.

Manslaughter is a mandatory lesser offense.

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 01:28:57

At 7/12/13 01:07 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: What's been annoying about some of these comments is that they act like following someone is a crime, it's not. You know what IS a crime? Beating someone half to death because they may have felt threatened. You can feel as threatened as you want that doesn't give you the right to beat someone into the ground and nearly end their life because you wanted to be a hard gangsta. Zimmerman may have been a self righteous, paranoid wannabe cop but that is not illegal. It's not harmful AT ALL to just follow someone on a public street, it's not harmful or threatening to ask someone what they're up to especially if they think you might be up to something. What IS illegal is beating someone for doing so. He didn't even stop at the first punch, he kept going and going on his face. Who wouldn't use lethal force when their head is getting bashed into the ground?

I stand corrected on the feeling threatened thing. If someone is feeling threatened it gives grounds to retaliate, but I'm talking actually threatened, like they're brandishing a weapon, taunting you, harassing you, and/or verbally assaulting you . However, I stand by that what Zimmerman was doing could hardly be considered "threatening". Following someone isn't threatening, its not like he was coaxing, aggravating, or verbally insulting him as he was following. Only confronting him so he didn't slip away, but this punishment does not fit the action, after all "threatened" is extremely relative.

I could feel "threatened" by the way you dress or a dirty look you gave me, does this give me the right to straddle you and beat you to a bloody pulp? Riddle me that.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 01:58:19

At 7/12/13 01:28 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: I could feel "threatened" by the way you dress or a dirty look you gave me,

If you are following someone, that is an intentional act which may (likely) cause a reasonable feeling of apprehension in a person. Under normal circumstances, wearing clothes isn't directed at a person. You could reasonably feel threatened by someone giving you a dirty look, but I'd wager the odds of deescalation the situation or leaving it outright is much easier than, say, being followed on foot by a guy who was already following you in his truck at night in the rain.

does this give me the right to straddle you and beat you to a bloody pulp? Riddle me that.

Under Florida's SYG law, for instance, it can be if the situation escalates.

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 03:11:31

Entice, since you haven't been paying attention to the case read up on it or shooooooooo.

We do have proof that he illegally acquired a gun, and was a street fighter. He was a criminal with multiple offenses. By the way bandwagon doesn't make pot any less illegal.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 03:27:14

At 7/12/13 01:24 AM, Feoric wrote:
At 7/12/13 01:07 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: The fucking Prosecutors managed to get Manslaughter on the options of possible convictions. FUCK.
Manslaughter is a mandatory lesser offense.

It's not mandatory.

It has to be asked by the prosecution and then allowed by the Judge.

There's also a reason why many states don't allow it.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 10:24:15

i happen to live in florida and there are a lot of black kids in the suburbs or shit projects as people like to call it. we also have a lot of hispanics. i find it interesting that out of all the racism cases that happen to reach national acclaim, it's between the two most popular minorities in florida.

It is because Zimmerman is perceived as white.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 12:04:29

At 7/12/13 11:52 AM, Entice wrote:
At 7/12/13 03:11 AM, Ceratisa wrote: We do have proof that he illegally acquired a gun
I don't know why you didn't bring this up the first place since it's much more damning than anything else he did.

I'm not going to argue this point anymore, but I'll say that I'm inclined to agree with aviewaskewed here. Neither Trayvon's nor Zimmerman's character change what transpired between the two that night.

Your right, but it does heavily effect who is more likely to have done what. Everyone who knew Zimmerman did not think of him as the kind of person who would go into a conflict willingly. And he opted out of getting his own little wanna be cop uniform and little car with yellow lights etc. He didn't want that, if he was this wanna be cop why wouldn't he take it?

By the way bandwagon doesn't make pot any less illegal.

That wasn't my point at all. I brought it up because:
A. There's no way of knowing if Trayvon was under the influence of marijuana at the time he encountered Zimmerman.
B. If he was under the influence of marijuana it wouldn't predispose him to violence, making it irrelevant.

Not true and the ME disagrees with your expert opinion. Infact Marijuana has been proven to sometimes produce an unreasonable paranoia.
The ME disagrees with your claim that it didn't have an effect on him to be a bit clearer.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 13:19:01

At 7/12/13 03:27 AM, Memorize wrote: It's not mandatory.

You...didn't look through that pdf. Second degree (depraved mind) murder includes manslaughter.

It has to be asked by the prosecution and then allowed by the Judge.

What happened was the prosecution didn't list lesser charges, only second degree murder. He got the judge to change that to reflect the automatic charges not listed,

There's also a reason why many states don't allow it.

Many good reasons. But this is Florida.

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 14:08:32

At 7/12/13 12:21 PM, Entice wrote:
At 7/12/13 12:04 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Not true and the ME disagrees with your expert opinion.
Expert opinion.

"1.5 nanograms of THC were found as well as 7.3 nanograms of THC-COOH, a metabolite of THC that can stay in the system for weeks after cannabis has been smoked."

Not proof that he was high at the time.

Infact Marijuana has been proven to sometimes produce an unreasonable paranoia.
The ME disagrees with your claim that it didn't have an effect on him to be a bit clearer.
Of course it has an effect, but I completely disagree that marijuana produces violent behavior. Paranoia doesn't necessarily manifest itself as violence. I do agree that it could affect his judgement and if he was predisposed to violence it could have been a factor but there's not enough evidence to support that.

I know it doesn't often produce violent behaviour but we also know people with existing mental conditions (Just as an example) can react very poorly to marijuana. I'm saying he was predisposed to violence because of his history of fighting.

For the record, I do not think that Zimmerman was guilty. I disagree with many of the arguments that his supporters make which rely too much on attacking Trayvon's character.

The expert opinion of the person who performed the autopsy revised his statement on Marijuana levels and if he believed it had an effect. He must have had a reason to change his opinion on that.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 16:46:26

At 7/12/13 03:27 PM, Korriken wrote: and now.... we wait.

Jury asked for an inventory of the evidence I guess, not that there is much...

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 16:59:57

At 7/12/13 04:53 PM, Korriken wrote: deliberations shouldn't last beyond 2 days, In my opinion. this wasn't exactly a long trial.

It could very well last a week. The verdict isn't an easy call here.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 17:11:09

At 7/12/13 04:59 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 7/12/13 04:53 PM, Korriken wrote: deliberations shouldn't last beyond 2 days, In my opinion. this wasn't exactly a long trial.
It could very well last a week. The verdict isn't an easy call here.

So you believe that there is not reasonable doubt? because if there is it isn't a tough call.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 17:22:41

At 7/12/13 04:46 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Jury asked for an inventory of the evidence I guess, not that there is much...

If there wasn't much then they wouldn't be asking for an inventory list of it all.

BBS Signature

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 17:33:54

At 7/12/13 01:19 PM, Feoric wrote:
You...didn't look through that pdf. Second degree (depraved mind) murder includes manslaughter.

The judge still has to allow it. It's not automatic.

Many good reasons. But this is Florida.

That excuse didn't seem to fly for you when people pointed out that following Treyvon wasn't "illegal."

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 18:03:31

At 7/12/13 05:22 PM, Feoric wrote:
At 7/12/13 04:46 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Jury asked for an inventory of the evidence I guess, not that there is much...
If there wasn't much then they wouldn't be asking for an inventory list of it all.

DId you pay attention to how much was allowed, and it said right on the CNN article the judge ALLOWED man slaughter, either contact them and other outlets getting that wrong or you are missing something.

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-12 18:05:27

At 7/12/13 06:03 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 7/12/13 05:22 PM, Feoric wrote:
Might be to make sure they have everything before them before they deliberate.

anyone know if deliberations happen over the weekend or will they have the weekend off?

recess until 9:00 am? does that mean 9:00 am saturday

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 19:40:15

The jury has asked the judge to clarify manslaughter.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is they have taken second-degree murder off the table.

Something I was thinking about: Again, I'm stupid when it comes to legal affairs, but the original charge was second-degree murder. They added manslaughter towards the end of the trial. Could that be considered double jeopardy?

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 20:48:41

At 7/13/13 08:10 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 7/13/13 07:40 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
Something I was thinking about: Again, I'm stupid when it comes to legal affairs, but the original charge was second-degree murder. They added manslaughter towards the end of the trial. Could that be considered double jeopardy?
no, in florida manslaughter is always tacked on as a lesser offense to murder. double jeopardy is when a person is tried again for the same offense, typically after being found innocent, or if found guilty and served their sentence.

I would consider it a lighter form of double jeopardy.

It's basically the prosecution's way of saying "We couldn't nail you on what we did charge you, so we're tacking on this extra bit which the defense didn't spend their time defending against."

It allows prosecutors to over-charge to make headlines while making it easier to get a lesser conviction since it's allowing the jury to compromise rather than base it on evidence.

As if to say "Well, they couldn't prove 2nd degree, but we can't just let him go free."

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 22:14:55

Not Guilty!

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 22:17:22

Inb4 criticism of the jury..

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 22:23:12

At 7/13/13 10:22 PM, Light wrote:
At 7/13/13 10:17 PM, RacistBassist wrote: All I have to say to all of those who argued with me several pages back is come at me bro
I didn't really take either side on this issue, but the Zimmerman opponents in this thread have made some pretty good arguments.

So for the sake of debate, I do hope they come at you, bro. :P

Really? cause their good arguments would need to remove reasonable doubt from the equation...

Response to Trayvon Martin case gets Ugly 2013-07-13 22:44:44

Don't look now but there's a massive race riot on Twitter right now. Will the internet be safe?

BBS Signature