New Topic Respond to this Topic
calslater
calslater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-23 16:33:14 Reply

I'm working on a 10 minute Flash animation that I will end up doing in pieces and editing together in Final Cut as a video for film festivals.

I was planning on recording vocals, then doing the animatic in flash. Then, when it comes to animation, breaking the animation up between .fla files, inside which each shot will be in a separate scene. Then I would export to video. (For my last 10 minute piece I exported as an image sequence and added sound later, but this episode will have dialogue, so I need to lip sync...)

This way, I can focus on one shot at a time, and the .fla files won't get too big.

I've heard of people breaking up scenes in the movie between flash files, but am I doing it an unnecessary way? Also not sure how to move audio between programs effectively with this method.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, etc.

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-23 16:47:04 Reply

your exporting as a png sequence from flash?
and you need the sound, what you do is, is export a a .mp3 as well that way you've got the sound timed out perfectly.

so do all the animation in flash and then throw the sequence and sound into final cut, and there you have it, perfectly synced sound and animation

BBS Signature
calslater
calslater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-23 21:27:20 Reply

At 4 hours ago, DillonBrannick wrote: your exporting as a png sequence from flash?
and you need the sound, what you do is, is export a a .mp3 as well that way you've got the sound timed out perfectly.

so do all the animation in flash and then throw the sequence and sound into final cut, and there you have it, perfectly synced sound and animation

Good idea with the mp3, thanks! Somehow forgot that was an option and haven't done that in years. @_@

And yeah, I used to have software to convert .swf to video, but now my only straight forward option is to export to .mov and like always it gives me crappy visuals. (Pixelated frames, combined frames)

What I do now is export in hi res as an image sequence, and then compress it into an HD video. It works surprisingly well, especially when you don't have any other options.

Do you know a better way? If not, I could use the image sequence and the mp3 for each scene. Exporting to .mov isn't the best option for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing?

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-23 21:34:59 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, calslater wrote:
Good idea with the mp3, thanks! Somehow forgot that was an option and haven't done that in years. @_@

And yeah, I used to have software to convert .swf to video, but now my only straight forward option is to export to .mov and like always it gives me crappy visuals. (Pixelated frames, combined frames)

What I do now is export in hi res as an image sequence, and then compress it into an HD video. It works surprisingly well, especially when you don't have any other options.

Do you know a better way? If not, I could use the image sequence and the mp3 for each scene. Exporting to .mov isn't the best option for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing?

well I'd export as .avi and set the compression settings to full frames(uncompressed), and you can also set the resolution to 1080p, when it exports it'll be crisp and of course the sound will be included. The only problem is file size, but if your bringing it into final cut(I've never used it) I'd imagine you'll be able to decrease the bit rate thus decreasing the file size to something more uploadable.
Also some people say that the movieclips won't export properly, but you should see for yourself as I can not recall for sure.

BBS Signature
calslater
calslater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-23 22:46:41 Reply

At 1 hour ago, DillonBrannick wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, calslater wrote:

well I'd export as .avi and set the compression settings to full frames(uncompressed), and you can also set the resolution to 1080p, when it exports it'll be crisp and of course the sound will be included. The only problem is file size, but if your bringing it into final cut(I've never used it) I'd imagine you'll be able to decrease the bit rate thus decreasing the file size to something more uploadable.
Also some people say that the movieclips won't export properly, but you should see for yourself as I can not recall for sure.

I don't get the avi option on my mac, as I can't watch avi's or wmv's anyway. That's one of the horrible limitations of my computer...

Movieclips just export as still images, so I use graphics.

And yeah, in FC you can decrease the bit rate and all that. I checked your website out by the way- very cool stuff. I like your style.

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-24 10:34:31 Reply

If the animation is more than 2 minutes then yeah, dividing the animation is fla. files is a good idea. I wouldn't make a fla of EACH scene, more like, a fla for each 20-30 seconds.

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Flash-Video (Best Work flow) 2012-03-24 10:43:44 Reply

At 11 hours ago, calslater wrote: I don't get the avi option on my mac, as I can't watch avi's or wmv's anyway. That's one of the horrible limitations of my computer...

Well then I'd do the png sequence and split it up as pegosho says

I checked your website out by the way- very cool stuff. I like your style.

Thank you, appreciate it

BBS Signature