New Topic Respond to this Topic
TR0KY
TR0KY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

Is just that since I used FL I've never really cared about buying another synth besides my beloved sytrus but then I just saw some awesome videos on youtube about NI Massive. Then I decided to tried it and I just fell in love with it, you know by the time that I used sytrus I'd never thought how deep I could go in a synth but when I use Massive I can create some really deep sounds that fits my songs really well. So I am just curious what synth do you guys prefer to use when you are making your songs?

xxxZigZagxxx
xxxZigZagxxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

As many synths as I can get my hands on. Rapture, Sylenth1, Massive, anything by Native Instruments, anything from this site, heck, even 3xosc. But it's not the plugin you use, as much as how you use it. Just playing around with the attack, sustain, release, delay, reverb, filter, flanger, eq, whatever plugins you want to use... that's what makes your synth unique.

But an overall pick, I'd say Sylenth1.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:03 PM Reply

NI Razor is my go-to synth for anything. It's so versatile, and it's really fun to mess with.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
TR0KY
TR0KY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:42 PM Reply

At 42 minutes ago, xxxZigZagxxx wrote: As many synths as I can get my hands on. Rapture, Sylenth1, Massive, anything by Native Instruments, anything from this site, heck, even 3xosc. But it's not the plugin you use, as much as how you use it. Just playing around with the attack, sustain, release, delay, reverb, filter, flanger, eq, whatever plugins you want to use... that's what makes your synth unique.

But an overall pick, I'd say Sylenth1.

Yeah NI products are so good, they feel so versatile and you can do almost whatever you want.

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:23 PM Reply

Buzz Jeskola

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:36 AM Reply

This question has been asked five or six times now, and my answer will not change.

Synth1

When I first tried it, I was like "This will be cool for some quick trance leads and stuff." But here I am making entire songs with the thing. Incredibly versatile with the know-how and some decent effects (but then again, aren't they all?)

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:40 AM Reply

NI Massive, period. You can create anything with it, really, and it's also extremely easy to work with.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
23i
23i
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:35 AM Reply

At 7 hours ago, TR0KY wrote: Is just that since I used FL I've never really cared about buying another synth besides my beloved sytrus but then I just saw some awesome videos on youtube about NI Massive. Then I decided to tried it and I just fell in love with it, you know by the time that I used sytrus I'd never thought how deep I could go in a synth but when I use Massive I can create some really deep sounds that fits my songs really well. So I am just curious what synth do you guys prefer to use when you are making your songs?

Any Cakewalk synth, Z3TA, Rapture.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:38 AM Reply

Ive fallen in love whit Absynth and FM8 :)

BBS Signature
TR0KY
TR0KY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:33 AM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Usernamemyarse wrote: Ive fallen in love whit Absynth and FM8 :)

I have used FM8 and its really good, it contains an awesome preset library but I don't use too much the presets.

LichLordMusic
LichLordMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:45 AM Reply

I use NI Massive, Toxic 4 Biohazard and PoiZone 2 for my tracks.

It's all I ever need to be honest.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Sylenth1 is my go-to synth for awesome.

It's just so amazing how versatile it is!

I also tried Razor recently and fell in love with it.

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, ChimeraNoise wrote: I also tried Razor recently and fell in love with it.

shhhh, razor is a weapon, let's keep it a secret ;D

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:27 AM Reply

I started using Wasp XT about 3 years ago and haven't stopped since. It's not as versatile as, say, Massive or Harmor, but when you layer the shit out of it and use like 8 of them at once, you can do ANYTHING with them!

Also I use 3xOSC for single wave stuff and subs. A powerful duo.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:52 AM Reply

agreed on Wasp XT, it's a beast when you push it right

Dannyboi93
Dannyboi93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 05:34 AM Reply

For me it has to be Z3ta+ it's powerful and easy to use... if i wanna get really technical though; it has to be massive! Although it's slightly daunting with time you can learn a lot

Pulsar013
Pulsar013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 10:28 AM Reply

I like Sylenth1 - its pretty good.

Enter the Trance - Lets listen to some progressive shall we?

BBS Signature
TonalReboot
TonalReboot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 11:22 AM Reply

Sytrus, 3xosc, Wasp, TS404 just to name some.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:01 PM Reply

TAL Vocoder, TAL U-NO-62, TAL ELEKTRO, RedTron (Mellotron emulator, very cool!) oh and Reason - mainly Thor, Redrum and Subtractor.

Sometimes, more so recently, I'll dump something into Reasample. Or use VSTs, alot of synth sounds use comb filters/delays/distortion etc. so they're very much worth exploring.

There's some ARP and Minimoog emulations online but alot of them are crap. I've plenty of subtractive anyway, I'm on the hunt for some decent FM stuff!

Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:08 PM Reply

I have a question myself.

As i am relatively new to FL Studio, what are the "essential" synths, effects, etc? I'd love to know.

Steam ID | X360 Gamertag: AversiveKnave | ORIGIN: DarkBlue96

BBS Signature
Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 02:08 PM, Lordboy54 wrote: I have a question myself.

As i am relatively new to FL Studio, what are the "essential" synths, effects, etc? I'd love to know.

Plenty of synths been named. So I'll do FX

The Classic series by Kjaerhaus are a must have of FX, compression, EQ etc. Always gets recommended, for good reason.

dBGlitch is recommended for, well glitchy sounds!

Ferox is a cool tape emulation - good for tape distortion sounds.

Ioplong has some awesome vsts for S+H type glitch madness - check it out here http://andreas.smartelectronix.com/index.php?nav=1

ReaSample and ReaVocode are great for, well, sampling and vocoing. Samplers aren't everyones thing, but if you don't know what a Vocoder is then I recommend listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHoCd1pTJx4
as an example of a synth vocoded with a snare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmoFNya6P4Q
As an example of a synth vocoded against a voice

It's a very interesting tool for sort of combining elements. It also does the Robot voice to Beastie Boy's Intergalactic if you set it up right!

Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 02:56 PM, Chris-V2 wrote:
At 3/24/12 02:08 PM, Lordboy54 wrote: I have a question myself.

Plenty of synths been named. So I'll do FX

The Classic series by Kjaerhaus are a must have of FX, compression, EQ etc. Always gets recommended, for good reason.

dBGlitch is recommended for, well glitchy sounds!

Ferox is a cool tape emulation - good for tape distortion sounds.

Ioplong has some awesome vsts for S+H type glitch madness - check it out here http://andreas.smartelectronix.com/index.php?nav=1

ReaSample and ReaVocode are great for, well, sampling and vocoing. Samplers aren't everyones thing, but if you don't know what a Vocoder is then I recommend listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHoCd1pTJx4
as an example of a synth vocoded with a snare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmoFNya6P4Q
As an example of a synth vocoded against a voice

It's a very interesting tool for sort of combining elements. It also does the Robot voice to Beastie Boy's Intergalactic if you set it up right!

Yea thanks, however, i already downloaded and installed Ozone 5 after i heard about it from another thread. Will i still need these effects? or do Ozone 5 have better alternatives?

Filler because newgrounds said so...

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 3/23/12 02:40 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: NI Massive, period. You can create anything with it, really, and it's also extremely easy to work with.

Totally agree man,

I also love sylenth :)

Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 03:56 PM Reply

I also downloaded Massive, Absynth, and Kontakt. Is there anything else that i would need?

BBS Signature
TR0KY
TR0KY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 03:56 PM, Lordboy54 wrote: I also downloaded Massive, Absynth, and Kontakt. Is there anything else that i would need?

That is more than enough but you should keep it down with the word download.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 03:56 PM, Lordboy54 wrote: I also downloaded Massive, Absynth, and Kontakt. Is there anything else that i would need?

Um, patience.

What I mean is - start with ONE synth. For me in the beginning it was just Redrum and Subtractor, then I added Thor (All within Reason) and then I used the U-N0-62 (One of my fav free VSTi's!) samplers and vocoding and more esoteric subtractive and FM synths. It's a slow process and there's not really any point in download synths to scroll through banks of pre-sets, you need to learn one and get into it. Then re-apply the knowledge every time you meet a new synth - it's a nice feeling to sit down with Massive, a Slim Phatty or a Nord Lead and be able to just dial in sounds without having used it before and still not really have to think about it.

Massive is exactly what it says on the tin - it's huge, maybe too big in a way. Start with simple 2 Oscillators, 1 Envelope and 1 Filter type setups. Try different ADSR setups, filter resonances, LFO's assigned to different things. Saws, Squarewaves, PWM, Sine. Try detuning one oscillator against another or having them 4ths, 5ths or octaves apart. Try using portamento, Mod wheel expression, arrpegiators. That'd be about the most basic stuff, synthesis is very broad. You're going to have to learn to identify and construct sounds by ear.

One excersize I definitely recommend is trying to immitate famous synth sounds - like a simple wobble bass, the stacked saw trance sound, a DnB bassline, a west coast Gangster Lead sound, a Parliament synth bass sound, some kraftwerk patches. Get a feel for what they're doing, and then take these sounds into your own pallete.

DrivenTwo
DrivenTwo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Depends on what you want.

For growls, wobbles, and bass synth we use Massive, but for lead synth and small ambient sounds we use FM8.

Massive is by far the better one though. It's just so much easier and has such a broader range of uses.

Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 04:47 PM, TR0KY wrote:
That is more than enough but you should keep it down with the word download.

The word download itself has no illegal meaning, nor should we imply it has. There's no need to be so paranoid.

I could be a multimillionaire with too much money to spend, buying all of these products within a day.

BBS Signature
Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 05:04 PM, Chris-V2 wrote:
Um, patience.

Downloading does not mean i will use all of them, it's just nice to have the option to use whatever i want, when i want.

What I mean is - start with ONE synth. For me in the beginning it was just Redrum and Subtractor, then I added Thor (All within Reason) and then I used the U-N0-62 (One of my fav free VSTi's!) samplers and vocoding and more esoteric subtractive and FM synths. It's a slow process and there's not really any point in download synths to scroll through banks of pre-sets, you need to learn one and get into it. Then re-apply the knowledge every time you meet a new synth - it's a nice feeling to sit down with Massive, a Slim Phatty or a Nord Lead and be able to just dial in sounds without having used it before and still not really have to think about it.

I'm a quick learner.

Massive is exactly what it says on the tin - it's huge, maybe too big in a way. Start with simple 2 Oscillators, 1 Envelope and 1 Filter type setups. Try different ADSR setups, filter resonances, LFO's assigned to different things. Saws, Squarewaves, PWM, Sine. Try detuning one oscillator against another or having them 4ths, 5ths or octaves apart. Try using portamento, Mod wheel expression, arrpegiators. That'd be about the most basic stuff, synthesis is very broad. You're going to have to learn to identify and construct sounds by ear.

Sure it's massive, but it's a quite simple construct.

One excersize I definitely recommend is trying to immitate famous synth sounds - like a simple wobble bass, the stacked saw trance sound, a DnB bassline, a west coast Gangster Lead sound, a Parliament synth bass sound, some kraftwerk patches. Get a feel for what they're doing, and then take these sounds into your own pallete.

I usually learn better by trying to make music, then when i get stuck, i'd Google the problem. But everyone learns their own way i guess.

Thanks for all the help!

BBS Signature
Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Your Favorite Synth to use? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 08:31 PM, DrivenTwo wrote: Depends on what you want.

For growls, wobbles, and bass synth we use Massive, but for lead synth and small ambient sounds we use FM8.

Massive is by far the better one though. It's just so much easier and has such a broader range of uses.

Just because Skrillex's workflow is Massive for bass and FM8 for synth lines doesn't mean it's the best workflow.

I'm pretty sure he namechecks FM8 because I don't know anyone (Well, o.k, this one guy whose 60 and owns a DX7) who can program one. All he has to do is avoid the (one billion) NI presets and he doesn't have kids copying his sound the second he releases a new track.

If you can explain and give examples of the routing matrix for the operators (How many? Over 8 but less than 16) as well as the complex enveloping possible, I'll be impressed. I'd tell any newbie synthesist to download a copy of CSound or Max MSP before FM8 - at least then you're starting from scratch.

Vica versa, Massive is great at doing everything. My freind has it and I love routing envelopes and LFO's to basicly anything and being able to mangle LFO's on the fly. It can do everything from pads to bass sounds to seagull noises and chainsaws. That said, I find the list of waveforms with little visual representation abit stressful.