ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
[Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:18 PM Reply

IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER PAPERCRAFT CONTEST!!

Chit chat, works-in-progress, comments, questions, criticism, as well as final submissions should all be posted in this thread. Feel free to include links to the final/larger pieces in the art portal and/or on your art page too! You do not have to be scouted to enter.

use the tag "papercraft" so they're easy to find!!

WHAT TO DO:
Use this template to create whatever your imagination can come up with! You can hand draw it or use an art program and print it, then cut it out and fold it up!! Once you're done, take a few photos from different angles (edit them together if possible, like the pic below), and post your creation!

You MUST use the provided template. Do NOT alter the shape but you can add to it (cut slits to attach ears, hats etc). Try to keep it the same dimensions as the posted examples (will fit on a regular 8.5 x 11 piece or printer paper).

IMPORTANT: If you are not experienced with papercraft make a sample first; print an extra template, glue it to some foldable cardboard (a cereal box works well), cut it out and put it together. Try it once before you make your design. You may have to adjust some of the slits depending on the thickness of the material you use.

STEPS:
1) Create your design--either with your computer or printing out the template and hand crafting it.
2) Glue your paper to some foldable but reasonably stiff cardboard, like a cereal box.
3) Cut out the design.
4) Fold it up
5) Take pictures of your papercraft from various angles and edit them together (720 x 700 px image under 200 kb for posting in the forum, bigger for the portal).
6) Post your image both here in this thread and in the art section of your userpage.

If you hand draw your papercraft it would be a good idea to scan it before you assemble it, that way you have a backup plan if things go wacky ...plus others can make their very own copies of your awesome piece of art.

CREDITS: the base of this template is from ny fat.

RULES:
- FOLLOW THE TEMPLATE. Do not use a different template, but you can add other MINOR elements to your papercraft.
- POST ONLY PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR OWN, ORIGINAL PAPERCRAFT MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS CONTEST WITH THIS TEMPLATE. Do NOT post one that someone else made, do not post one that you made at another time.
- Only entries that are actually cut and folded up will be eligible to win.

DEADLINE:
Thursday, April 12th. 11:59 PM (Newgrounds time)

PRIZES:
1st Place: $30 in store credit
2nd Place: $25 in store credit
3rd Place: $20 in store credit
4th Place: $15 in store credit
5th Place: $10 in store credit

--------

HAVE FUN!!

Newgrounds is not responsible for any cuts (paper or otherwise) users may receive during the making of their papaercraft creations.

[Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft!

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:23 PM Reply

Alright, guess I'll make one. Ok done.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: You MUST use the provided template. Do NOT alter the shape but you can add to it (cut slits to attach ears, hats etc). Try to keep it the same dimensions as the posted examples (will fit on a regular 8.5 x 11 piece or printer paper).

Here's a version with the head rotated, if you fancy making a tall head rather than a wide one.
If you're unsure about the level of modification you're doing, speak up in the thread.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

Is there an original Ai or Fla file we can have?
I know it seems like an awkward request but I have something in mind and want to go with it

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, Kinsei01 wrote: Is there an original Ai or Fla file we can have?
I know it seems like an awkward request but I have something in mind and want to go with it

Actually, that's a GREAT idea!!

NG doesn't support ai, so here's a PDF. You should be able to open that up in Illustrator. Let me know if you run into trouble.

And here is a Flash 8 template.

Also... you can make/submit as many as you want, but can only win once!!

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 6 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 10 minutes ago, Kinsei01 wrote: Is there an original Ai or Fla file we can have?
Actually, that's a GREAT idea!!

NG doesn't support ai, so here's a PDF. You should be able to open that up in Illustrator. Let me know if you run into trouble.

And here is a Flash 8 template.

Also... you can make/submit as many as you want, but can only win once!!

Yay!. Also, can we alter the template a bit. Not drastically, but to make some changes. Also can we not use some parts.
you know, its just going to be easier to come out with this.
I wanna make a pony, Rainbow Dash to be exact. So I want to make the base to have 4 legs and not use the arm piece >.>
So can I do that, or should I just make a bipedal pony?

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 35 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: NG doesn't support ai, so here's a PDF. You should be able to open that up in Illustrator. Let me know if you run into trouble.

opens in photoshop too just fine

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Kinsei01 wrote: I wanna make a pony, Rainbow Dash to be exact. So I want to make the base to have 4 legs and not use the arm piece >.>

You can make additional cuts to add things like ears, hats, etc... but everything else needs to be used and included. It's up to you on 'how' though (like how toas turned the head on his).

...so, in other words... you must include the "arms", but they don't have to be "arms"! And based on what you just said, you should be able to make that work easily enough! ;)

At 4 minutes ago, Ashman wrote: opens in photoshop too just fine

Good to know! Thanks, Ash! :D

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 48 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: ...so, in other words... you must include the "arms", but they don't have to be "arms"! And based on what you just said, you should be able to make that work easily enough! ;)

Yeah, Cool I figured it out :3

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:07 PM Reply

A contest I have a shot at! Huzzah! I am so totally in!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

Another papercraft contest?
Damn, this sounds like fun, might try to squeeze something in if I can find the time.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:30 AM Reply

At 6 hours ago, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 48 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: ...so, in other words... you must include the "arms", but they don't have to be "arms"!

I.e. wings

Yeah, Cool I figured it out :3

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
MeowolaSS
MeowolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 11:11 AM Reply

At 1 day ago, ReNaeNae wrote: If you hand draw your papercraft it would be a good idea to scan it before you assemble it.

I do not has the required light sweeper you talk off. but i have my very own webcams to do my social chitchat with the lady cats you knows. i has made a mini paper me, although me not be off the big square block head. me only had limited things you knows. I'm sure other people will do the betters. me just take part for sake of taking parts you knows.

Meow <3

Meow <3

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

This is the first 'test' one I did with markers. I *think* it's a bear! lol :P

MoriChax
MoriChax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 04:44 PM Reply

I saw papercraft contest, but came in and disappoint.
How about one time have a papercraft contest thats create your own instead of a block head character.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 3/27/12 04:44 PM, MoriChax wrote: I saw papercraft contest, but came in and disappoint.
How about one time have a papercraft contest thats create your own instead of a block head character.

Yeah, I really like that idea, but we can barely get people to take part in the premade template contest... which is pretty simple compared to making one of your own from scratch. Guess it wouldn't hurt (much) to give it a shot.

Art contests in general haven't been fairing too well for a while now. I dunno... maybe it's time to accept that people just aren't into them anymore and let it go.

not unlike some other areas of my life which I won't get into, lawl!! ...bazinga.
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 3/27/12 06:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Art contests in general haven't been fairing too well for a while now. I dunno... maybe it's time to accept that people just aren't into them anymore and let it go.

Nooo!!! Some of us are still rather into them. I have all the contests scheduled out so I can still make things for them. Dammit, don't quit doing these things just as I'm getting good :P

not unlike some other areas of my life which I won't get into, lawl!! ...bazinga.

Oh hush, you :3

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 3/27/12 04:44 PM, MoriChax wrote: I saw papercraft contest, but came in and disappoint.

I think you'd just be competing against yourself.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 27th, 2012 @ 11:25 PM Reply

At 3/27/12 11:10 PM, Spags wrote: Nooo!!!

Oh damn! When did you get your name changed?! LOL!!!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 12:16 AM Reply

At 3/27/12 11:25 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 3/27/12 11:10 PM, Spags wrote: Nooo!!!
Oh damn! When did you get your name changed?! LOL!!!

Approximately 12 hours ago, haha.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 06:32 AM Reply

At 3/27/12 06:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Yeah, I really like that idea, but we can barely get people to take part in the premade template contest... which is pretty simple compared to making one of your own from scratch. Guess it wouldn't hurt (much) to give it a shot.

I like the idea of making my own design from scratch and painting/drawing/printing it... but you have to fit it all in ONE A4 sheet of card/paper/transparent plastic/175 micron heat seal coated metallized polyester... what ever... otherwise they could get a bit elaborate.

Art contests in general haven't been fairing too well for a while now. I dunno... maybe it's time to accept that people just aren't into them anymore and let it go.

problem is they all seem to come up at once... I can only do one thing at a time! *and it takes me forever!*

... do i even want to know... better not... O~o

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 01:01 PM Reply

Wish I had a better camera for taking photos of things.Ahh well Here is Rainbow Dash

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 3/28/12 01:01 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Wish I had a better camera for taking photos of things.Ahh well Here is Rainbow Dash

So Kinsei is now a brony.... no wonder he doesn't spend as much time on the forums.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 3/28/12 01:06 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/28/12 01:01 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Wish I had a better camera for taking photos of things.Ahh well Here is Rainbow Dash
So Kinsei is now a brony.... no wonder he doesn't spend as much time on the forums.

>.>. Crap, their on to me....

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM Reply

wouldn't it have made more sense to rotate her head?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 28th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 3/28/12 05:28 PM, J-qb wrote:
wouldn't it have made more sense to rotate her head?

I was actually thinking of that. I also screwed up in a couple other places, like forgetting to do the other side of the tail, and letting one of her wings get clipped off in the printing.
I have done some fixed, but I haven't printed out a second one to do yet, I got time though so I might be able to get it adjusted soon.

BBS Signature
Erty
Erty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 09:08 AM Reply

I tried uploading the image to the Art portal when I was stopped by a warning saying my unscouted limit was exceeded.
Can someone tell me how much this limit is so I know how much to delete from my art page?

Meanwhile, here is my entry. A bananular Cthulhu, the Banathulu!

Bananular.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 3/30/12 09:08 AM, Erty wrote: I tried uploading the image to the Art portal when I was stopped by a warning saying my unscouted limit was exceeded.
Can someone tell me how much this limit is so I know how much to delete from my art page?

Meanwhile, here is my entry. A bananular Cthulhu, the Banathulu!

Ooh nice. I like it.

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

I'm not a mlp fan, but nice job, kinsei!! I was envisioning one arm being a tail and the other part of the mane, but your way makes more sense! ;)

At 3/30/12 09:08 AM, Erty wrote: Meanwhile, here is my entry. A bananular Cthulhu, the Banathulu!

Ooh! Nice! Really like the way you did the mouth and chin addition!
I believe the unscouted art limit is 20, btw.

Erty
Erty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to [Contest] Win, Lose or Papercraft! Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 3/30/12 12:00 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I'm not a mlp fan, but nice job, kinsei!! I was envisioning one arm being a tail and the other part of the mane, but your way makes more sense! ;)

At 3/30/12 09:08 AM, Erty wrote: Meanwhile, here is my entry. A bananular Cthulhu, the Banathulu!
Ooh! Nice! Really like the way you did the mouth and chin addition!
I believe the unscouted art limit is 20, btw.

Thanks! Oh, it appears you were right about the limit. Finally deleted some stuff and got it uploaded now.

By the way, you may have noticed he is kind of glowing in the top left image there. I forgot to mention that I used different hues of fluorescent ink to make certain parts of it to glow under UV light (blacklight), just because I'm addicted to glowing things.
Better pictures of the fluorescent.

Bananular.

BBS Signature