New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-21 17:06:31 Reply

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but after googling, youtubing and searching the ng forums a bit I couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so let's just make this as quick and painless as possible.

I am not asking about swf to avi software and all that stuff, I'd like to know about the process of uploading videos straight from flash.

Every time I export a flash as a .mov, no matter how big the stage is, when it is uploaded to youtube there are always black bars on the side. What kind of settings need to be changed to change the screen size?

I know about the strategy of exporting the flash as a png sequence and then importing them into video editors and uploading the flash like that, but I want to know if there is a way around that, like I said, straight from flash. Are there just some settings I can mess around with to get a nicely fitted screen size or do I HAVE to export them as png and whatnot if I want to upload to youtube.

Thanks.

GamerTag: MEGAxCptnWalrus

Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-21 19:31:31 Reply

you cant :D the closest thing to flash youtube supports is .flv (flash video)

ama gon chill

TDK1987
TDK1987
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-21 19:37:10 Reply

At 1 hour ago, lpfann2 wrote: I'd like to know about the process of uploading videos straight from flash.

Is your Flash Document/Quicktime video settings set to a wide screen resolution? (For example I usually animate at 848x480)

From my own experiments I've found exporting to Quicktime in Flash isn't perfect and can be a bit messy with bigger projects (I usually go with the PNG sequence method you mentioned)

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 04:32:33 Reply

First you have to make sure your stage is 16:9, I animate at 800*450. You can export as .avi, I steer clear of .mov because the quality is lacking. In the export settings say compress file, and when the compression come select full frames from the drop down this means it'll have perfect quality, plus you can set the resolution size to any multiple of your stage. So if you do have it 16:9; you can do 1080p, 720p and so on. The only I find is when you export with full frames, its basicallly no compression and creates quite a big file, but I still think its worth it.

BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 12:04:31 Reply

guys, read the feaking post

he wants to upload a .swf to youtube, thats not possible

ama gon chill

Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 12:06:48 Reply

At 1 minute ago, Sacros wrote: guys, read the feaking post

he wants to upload a .swf to youtube, thats not possible

my bad, you guys were right, im a retard

ama gon chill

Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 15:56:44 Reply

No sorry if it wasn't clear, but I meant upload it straight from flash as in just export it as a different format from the program, i.e not having to put it in another video editor or something.

But is that all? Just have a 16:9 screen resolution? Like I said I tried different sizes for the screen, and it was always skinny with black bars on the side.

Also, last time I remember exporting as AVI it didn't export the movie clips, as in it showed the symbol moving across the screen for example but it wasn't showing the actual animation in the movie clip.

Thanks for the help so far though guys.

TDK1987
TDK1987
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 19:27:14 Reply

At 3 hours ago, lpfann2 wrote: But is that all? Just have a 16:9 screen resolution? Like I said I tried different sizes for the screen, and it was always skinny with black bars on the side.

Which resolutions have you been working with so far?

DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-22 19:37:44 Reply

At 9 minutes ago, TDK1987 wrote:
At 3 hours ago, lpfann2 wrote: But is that all? Just have a 16:9 screen resolution? Like I said I tried different sizes for the screen, and it was always skinny with black bars on the side.
Which resolutions have you been working with so far?

Listen I havent bothered to read anything but for best quality on youtube for animation is definately .mov File :D alright there you go.

Animation I want to be the Best Fucker.

BBS Signature
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-24 17:11:11 Reply

The real problem now is that AVI's export fine and fit the screen of youtube...however AVI's don't play movie clips...so that's dumb

MOV's at the same screen size and whatnot, do play movie clips, but don't fit the screen, or atleast it didn't whenever I tested it out.

I don't know maybe i'm doing something wrong but it seems like flash really hates video formats, maybe I'll just try the PNG sequence thing.

WhiteLightning
WhiteLightning
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Filmmaker
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-25 16:55:47 Reply

At 3/24/12 05:11 PM, lpfann2 wrote: The real problem now is that AVI's export fine and fit the screen of youtube...however AVI's don't play movie clips...so that's dumb

MOV's at the same screen size and whatnot, do play movie clips, but don't fit the screen, or atleast it didn't whenever I tested it out.

I don't know maybe i'm doing something wrong but it seems like flash really hates video formats, maybe I'll just try the PNG sequence thing.

Hi Ipfann,

I think everybody has the same string of problems when trying to get Flash movies on Youtube, so let me try and break down what I personally do (which may or may not be the best way to go, but it's worked pretty well so far).

First of all, it is very difficult if not impossible to export a movie directly from Flash as an .avi or .mov and have it turn out right. As you mentioned, some of the file types don't recognize the code that makes movieclips work, and so they just stay frozen on the first frame. And then, even if you manage to get around that, it's still unlikely that you'd get a good quality result. All of this just gets worse the more complicated the video becomes.

Quite frankly, even though it seems like there should be a better way, an swf to video converter is actually the best way to go: they're basically a specialized screen capture software, so it always records the video exactly as it displays. And unfortunately, it has to cost money, because the free ones don't work.

Trust me, I tried for a good YEAR to find an efficient and free way to get my videos on Youtube until I finally gave up and just bought some extra software. If you get the right one though, it's totally worth it. I personally recommend Sothink's converter. It converts everything very smoothly, and rarely has any problems. But you can get a free trial of it to see for yourself. I've also used Moyea's software, which also has a free trial, and is cheaper.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps. Good luck!
-Kyle

BBS Signature
Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Uploading Flash videos to youtube 2012-03-26 17:37:32 Reply

I've been using Camtasia and I haven't had many problems as long as you keep your Flash in the 16:9 ratio.
To record your audio, just set the microphone to Stereo Mix / Mono Mix / Wave Out. If you don't have that in your list of microphones, you can follow this.

If you still don't have Stereo Mix, it's because of your drivers and there's not much you can do with that.