Be a Supporter!

Talking to pets a form of insanity?

  • 1,130 Views
  • 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
FurryFox
FurryFox
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Gamer
Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

Was Skyping with a good friend of mine now residing in the states over this topic. Thought I would bring it to general for your answers. Soooo....is talking to your pet/pets a lot a form of insanity? She thought not, and I thought so. What about you?

She has 4 cats so I think she maybe in denial.
Elixur
Elixur
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

Your story needs more dragons bro.

0/10


BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, FurryFox wrote: Was Skyping with a good friend of mine now residing in the states over this topic. Thought I would bring it to general for your answers. Soooo....is talking to your pet/pets a lot a form of insanity? She thought not, and I thought so. What about you?

She has 4 cats so I think she maybe in denial.

Silly ass question but I'll answer. It depends if you SERIOUSLY believe the animal is actually responding and your not just doing it for shits and giggles then yeah I guess, but it takes a lot more then that to judge a persons mental stability.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
DeadEyeRanger
DeadEyeRanger
  • Member since: Oct. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

I have 28 dogs, 60-something cats and 3 lil' mice.
In my opinion, it isn't a form of insanity.

Skwurll
Skwurll
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:16 AM Reply

My cat says it's not insane and that it's perfectly normal.


The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature
TehPoptartKid
TehPoptartKid
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:16 AM Reply

At 1 minute ago, FallenMartyr wrote: Your story needs more dragons bro.

0/10

Dragons and geese and moose!


BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

At 1 minute ago, DeadEyeRanger wrote: I have 28 dogs, 60-something cats and 3 lil' mice.
In my opinion, it isn't a form of insanity.

The fuck, have I seen you before?

Talking to pets a form of insanity?


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
FurryFox
FurryFox
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:28 AM Reply

At 11 minutes ago, II2none wrote:
Silly ass question but I'll answer. It depends if you SERIOUSLY believe the animal is actually responding and your not just doing it for shits and giggles then yeah I guess, but it takes a lot more then that to judge a persons mental stability.

I don't know man. She's convinced that every time she asks her cats a question and they meow in return, they're giving her an answer.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

Unless you start fucking and/or killing/torturing them, you're not insane.


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, FurryFox wrote:
At 11 minutes ago, II2none wrote:
Silly ass question but I'll answer. It depends if you SERIOUSLY believe the animal is actually responding and your not just doing it for shits and giggles then yeah I guess, but it takes a lot more then that to judge a persons mental stability.
I don't know man. She's convinced that every time she asks her cats a question and they meow in return, they're giving her an answer.

She thinks They're talking to her because it's instinctual for cats to yawn? lol, okay grandma.

Test her , ask her how would she know if a dog responds to her question, if it licks its balls?


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:38 AM Reply

Only if you genuine believe it's talking, or it's dead and you think it's still alive. In either case, you need to go to the looney bin immediately.


ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:41 AM Reply

You can read cues and body language and understand what the animal wants or how they're currently feeling about something.

And talking to them is fine. I say certain things to my bird that I know he understands like commands and certain phrases. Other times I'll just talk about my day because even though he doesn't know what I'm saying, he likes the attention.

If you think you're having a convo like you would a person THEN you're a bit nuts.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
TehPoptartKid
TehPoptartKid
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Only if you genuine believe it's talking, or it's dead and you think it's still alive. In either case, you need to go to the looney bin immediately.

Loony bin=looney tunes? Interesting


BBS Signature
Blazejsg
Blazejsg
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

I just caress and make cutie faces at my cat's and dogs.
1 cat and 4 dogs.

I don't really talk to them unless I'm at that point where I'm being retarded.


BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, II2none wrote:

She thinks They're talking to her because it's instinctual for cats to yawn? lol, okay grandma.

Test her , ask her how would she know if a dog responds to her question, if it licks its balls?

-------------------------

Joking aside I don't think she's insane just an extreme cat lover, maybe to the point where they fill a void in her life but thats getting personal.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Dogmeat
Dogmeat
  • Member since: May. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

I talk to my cats. But it's mostly to give them attention. Though my cat recognises a few words and will meow at me if he wants certain things. It's usually an assumption when he meows if I think I know what he wants. Ultimately there's nothing wrong with talking to an animal as long as you realise they don't understand any human language.

Except those alleged Hitler dogs...

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 01:54 AM Reply

There's nothing wrong with commanding your pet to do something. But having legitimate conversations with it is a little on the strange side I must say.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 02:03 AM Reply

Animals are like people to in a way, and can be trained to understand human commands so no, it is not unless one thinks the animal is actually talking back to them


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
Razz
Razz
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 02:11 AM Reply

I can tell what my cat wants when it makes certain noises. And often times I make noises back, i don't really see the issue.


BBS Signature
JBKalso
JBKalso
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 02:14 AM Reply

I am insane but talking to my pets has nothing to do with it. Animals may not understand everything but they enjoy listening and the attention of course and it can be good for you too.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool."-FurryFox
This is a temporary account. see JBK
Groups: Gay/Bi Users, Last.fmClub

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 06:52 AM Reply

At 5 hours ago, FallenMartyr wrote: Your story needs more dragons bro.

Your post needs more... fuck that wasn't even a post.

0/10

To answer the OP's question and actually contribute to the thread. I don't believe talking to your pets is a form of insanity. Everybody likes to have someone to just talk to. Some people talk to themselves... that doesn't mean they're crazy though.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Haydogger
Haydogger
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 07:05 AM Reply

Talking to pets without expecting them to talk back or show any difference to what you have said, no that isn't a form of insanity.

However, talking to pets and thinking they're are listening (and even talking back) yes, that is a form of insanity.


"Music is like candy, you need to throw out the rappers" - Google (or something)
MCFC since birth.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 07:36 AM Reply

I talk to my pets all the time. While I don't believe they'll respond, I don't think it's anymore serious than talking to yourself (which most people do occasionally).

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 07:37 AM Reply

Not just that, pets often like being talked to as well.

Uchumaru08
Uchumaru08
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 09:12 AM Reply

So I guess every time someone calls their pet by their name they are insane right?


Minecraft - IAmJim .,--,. Steam - IAmJim
Sig made by Squidbit.

BBS Signature
fearout
fearout
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 09:20 AM Reply

that is completely sane


This Signature is Super CoOL.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 09:26 AM Reply

It depends how much you talk to your pet I suppose. I mean, addressing them by their name - fine because the pet (well dog) will understand that. Certain words are commands for dog so there is also that.

When you do baby voice to your dog? Well not so crazy I think (and yes I do it). But dogs notice a persons tone of voice. While it doesn't know what you're saying exactly, it knows that you're not mad at them for whatever reason and enjoys that.

As for talking to pets that have no chance of understanding anything you say? I think those people are mad anyway to choose lesser pets.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 09:27 AM Reply

Well... no. Although they can't technically understand what you say it is still some form of actually communication. They are real living creature, and they can to some extent understand what message your trying to give away.


#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 09:50 AM Reply

Conversing with your animals is an alternative to conversing with yourself. Aside from the fact that in the former you deride yourself and in the latter you are being honest.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Talking to pets a form of insanity? Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 10:50 AM Reply

Fuck you, I communicate with my cat daily.