Respond to this Topic
Tichondrius12
Tichondrius12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

Oh man, RIP Randy , he was the greatest sprite animator ive ever seen when i was 13 years.

FretlessFinesse
FretlessFinesse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

What?! I can hardly even believe this...

R.I.P. Randy

SergeantLuke
SergeantLuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

My god... his works were what introduced me to NG. I'll miss him dearly.

BBS Signature
Shock-Dingo
Shock-Dingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:45 PM Reply

This is shocking news. His family will be in my thoughts and prayers. :(

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 8 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature
codey284
codey284
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

I remember Randy Solem. He was a pretty funny guy, and an awesome animator. He used to be a step uncle with a good friend of mine, and I remember him showing me the VGDC on the computer, and I was shocked I met the guy who made this site. It was pretty awesome to meet him, and I wish his family luck in the future. R.I.P Randy.

mrkaboom12
mrkaboom12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Rise of the MK was the first flash movie series I've ever seen. Even before knowing NG.
I would always check his page www.videogamedc.com to see if he uploaded anything new. The Rise of the MK series are a part of my inspiration to make my career something movie/animation/videogame oriented, I don't/didn't care if it was animating, programming, acting, writing or anything, just something that allowed me to be a part of a great story. I learned from him that the story would always be the most important part, and that if it is good enough, it will stay with you as a base for anything you create.
I'm damn sad about this.
Rest in peace Mr. Solem. You will be missed much

Grub-Xer0
Grub-Xer0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 9 hours ago, Razoric wrote: I worked with Randy on many Flash cartoons back in the day. I remember lots of late nights chatting with him as we were working on our random Mario toons. He was a great friend and he'll be missed. Hard to believe he's gone.

Your post just reminded me of the Altered Beast collab you guys did lol

BBS UOTD 2/4/11 | Con los terroristas | Join my Minecraft server at ngmc.teh-non.com!

BBS Signature
ThyReviewer
ThyReviewer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM Reply

Well, fuck. That's one of the most unfortunate news shared with us on this website.
Rest in peace, Randy. Be sure to teach God about how to make awesome sprite movies.

Does this signature amuse you? The secret is to press a square button called a key on your computer keyboard, where you type things, like this signature. Fascinating, right?

scribb1er
scribb1er
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom was the first sprite animation I ever saw and I loved it. Sad to lose someone at only 36. RIP man, you made some amazing work. My condolences to his family as well.

RobertClock
RobertClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

I can't say I still have respect for the style, or that I still enjoy his work specifically, but it's really sad to read this. Back in '05, and '06, when I originally uncovered VGDC, It blew my mind, and really got me into the idea of flash animation.

Rest In Peace.

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Not sure who else is doing this with me, but in honor of his name I've been watching his videos to remember the great memories of the work he has done. I am happy for him though that there are many here who're very supportive toward him. I wish the best for his family too.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Just wanted to let you guys know that Randy's girlfriend and mother are extremely great full for the support and donations, regardless of size. The supportive comments and seeing the impact he had on people all across the internet is such a great thing for us to see and remember him by.

King-Duckford
King-Duckford
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 9 hours ago, j0hnny wrote:
At 9 hours ago, Vaelor wrote: Wow what the fuck, Stamper. I was reading the thread on where his cousin talked about how he died, and Stamper literally poked fun at him and two other members dying. What in the flying fuck is wrong with Stamper? Anyway, I used to watch his cartoons all the time and I'll miss him.
Stamper had a bitter rivalry with Randy and other sprite artists in the early 2000s. Stamper felt then that sprite flash artists like Randy Solem didn't deserve the positive recognition they got and many hand drawing flash artists like himself were being short changed and unfairly over shadowed by sprite artists. I never actually interacted with Stamper but he was bashed a great deal on VGDC forums in the early EZboard days. I guess due to all that Stamper's sentiments about Randy dying really aren't going to be too much.

I had loads of issues myself with Randy. We had a personality conflict. We never could have gotten along. However, still the guy died. I'm respectful of that. I guess due to the conflicts Randy had with other people I guess not many of them see it as a guy dying young and it being a sad situation but more or less that they got the better of an enemy or that they could care less because they didn't like him anyways.

Wait till people start pumping out sprite tribute flashes to Randy and Stamper weighs in on that. Stamper absolutely despises sprite flash and sprite games that use rips rather than original artwork. What is even more interesting is that since Stamper is a main part of the Newgrounds staff now, he has the power to have any sprite flash removed from the portal and can justify it by saying the art is plagiarized and violates copyrights of Nintendo, Sega, etc etc. and then turn around and tell people to use their own artwork only.

Well, guess what, Stamper was right. Randy's work helped transfrom Newgrounds from well done flash to awful, low quality sprite animations aimed at 8 year olds. Stamper represents the best of the site, especially in the past, far as I'm concerned he has a free hand to say what he wants.

More then that, this is Newgrounds. This is not a respectful, reverent site, this is a hardcore place, "Everything by everybody", take a look at the old collection of heartless death flash this place has offered. When celebrties died, up came flash making fun of it, 9/11 games and movies have been made making fun of the tradgedy. Quite hypocritical of this place to host Assassin and works mocking death then cry foul when people start poking fun at this. People making jokes and poking fun of this is part of the way things are done around here, hell its a right of passage. First people will cry, then they will get a sick laugh from a twisted joke, and then turn around and realize they've come to peace with it. In a macabre way, this is part of the healing process. This too shall pass.

Some people react differently. Some will be sad, some will be angry, some will lash out as a way of grieving and some will start going after others who have nothing to do with it. Best to pay your respects and honor his memory, and not make this a fight.

BBS Signature
ZombieMonkey
ZombieMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:16 PM Reply

This makes me really sad. I remember watching his movies a lot back when I first joined Ng. I used to watch Rise of the MK 1 and 2 all the time.

Rest in Peace man.

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

DWProductions
DWProductions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I hope this guy has a good after life, his movies where great. He died at a younger age to...

"Don't quote me boy cause' I ain't said shit" - Easy E.

Interitus
Interitus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Mack Daddy Mario 3 was the first flash movie I ever watched. It eventually led me to Newgrounds a couple months later. Randy Solem was one of my favorite animators for years.

R.I.P.

nyancat23
nyancat23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, unconsidered wrote: How did he die? 36 sounds really early.

Maybe a disease

SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:50 PM Reply

I find some of the private messages I'm getting, such as those from Kisame, are flat out hateful and insulting toward Randy. I have an entire portfolio of his graphic work and hand drawn art, it's all amazing. He worked for local major news papers in the Tri-sate area as a leading artist, for some up to 10 years straight. So because he chose to style his movies about meaningful characters and games of his childhood, that reflects his over all talent?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to go out of your way to contact family members to say, "talentless hack" or "hope he's burning in hell", sounds like your a little butt hurt. Maybe riding motorcycles, having beautiful girls in your past and present and being big in the gym made some of the 120 pound rival animators, pale behind their screens working on films that never caught on, felt intimidated? Or because he used to dish it out stronger than those who dished the insults first back in the VGDC forums days? From everything I know, there's not a reason for such deep resentment and hate for someone they never met, besides self esteem issues and jealousy.

SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 13 minutes ago, nyancat23 wrote:
At 1 day ago, unconsidered wrote: How did he die? 36 sounds really early.
Maybe a disease

He passed away from heart failure late this past Friday night.

Alexander
Alexander
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Writer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Rest in peace, Randy.

Your cartoons brought me a bunch of joy from a really young age.

They will continue to do so.

~Al

ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 10:28 PM Reply

Wow...this is just unbelievable! His work was the gateway to Newgrounds for me! I loved Mack Daddy Mario and Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom and all his other stuff!

Rest in peace, man!

I laugh at your sigs!

ForbiddenWarrior
ForbiddenWarrior
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Aw, damn. That's a shame. Randy was an amazing artist. He created some really awesome flashes. He'll be missed.

RIP, Randy.

NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:01 PM Reply

Gah... that is just awful.

RIP Mr. VGDC, you're movies weren't just gems, they were pioneers.

Taken so soon, you will be missed.

SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:08 PM Reply

What they don't get is, the fighting and feuding between the developers, is what added to the thriving of the work. On top of the fan base, the arguing and rivalry's, no matter how heated, added the extra boost to making the next best thing for the fans and to try and be on top. I personally know that is how Randy viewed it and that's the way it should be. The people who are clinging to things spawned off of the internet over animated videos, seriously have no concept of real life outside of the computer. Your talking shit on a guy who left the community to go on and start a professional life and focus on his family. There's no need to hold grudges over pixels vs. original art work, when it comes to someone not being alive anymore. One day, his daughter is going to be old enough to google his name. She's going to find out her father had a massive fan base and reached a lot of people through his work, but she's going to have to try and comprehend the deep hatred and deliberately sadistic comments toward her dad as if the person knew him.

As far as I see, the characters were given their proper copyrights. Yes, we all know the characters, however the storyline and videos are soley from HIS mind, HIS doing. So where is the problem? The positive feedback from over million+ views, shows the video reached many. I don't get the negative feedback outside of anything, but jealous. It brought NG extra viewers and members, it motivated many to learn flash, etc. Every corporation is lawsuit happy, with all the years his videos have been on the net and the vast amount of views they all have, if the REAL OWNERS of the characters and images shared the negative views of the minority here, something would have happened already. They don't even care or agree with the negative outlook, why are people still such haters YEARS later?

At 10 minutes ago, j0hnny wrote: I actually got a PM like that too that Randy should rot in hell. I think people fail to realize something that you know what you dishonor yourself by talking that way. How you speak and what you do determines who you become. I certainly don't want to be regarded as a scumbag who pisses on the memory of someone who died. Also I am certain most of you wouldn't want someone taking a virtual dump on your graves. The irony is that its me of all people who is actually defending Randy. I really never thought this would ever happen in a million years. But I do know its the right thing to do.

You guys seriously need to let it go. Its already 2012. I fought with Randy, DustinA31, Accana and many others for 7 years. Its unbelievable. And I would hope before the others die or before I do this shit doesn't have to go on much longer.

If some of you really can't look back and see how stupid your arguing was when he was alive and you can't even see how stupid this grudge is now that he is dead, when will you see it? Will you wait till you're 80 years old and going into the nursing home saying "Gee that Randy Solem guy was such an ass." I dunno I mean further trolling someone who is dead is just pointless. Trolling their family members while they are grieving is even worse.
ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

His work was among the first bit of internet entertainment I ever watched.

I laugh at your sigs!

Kokujin72
Kokujin72
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Art Lover
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

Rest in Peace Mr.Solem. Your work and its impact on the development on NG will truly and always be greatly appreciated and missed.

*Plays Breaking Benjamin's "Anthem of The Angels": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_437oXG_3U *

FelixColgrave
FelixColgrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:33 PM Reply

The In-Memoriam page is a lovely idea. I can't think of many large user-content websites that care enough to have something like that.

Also I had no idea Jewelltoons was dead, that one hit me hard.

warror
warror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:37 PM Reply

oh my goodness 36, thatss young god bless him and his work. may he rest in peace. and his work.

I know this sounds kinda morbid but if this happends again you should put a special place on the site for "passed away" artist.

TUNI PEACE
Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature
Salvager
Salvager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:44 PM Reply

That's such a shame to see him go this early. Still love his work. RIP Randy. We'll miss you.

I-Raped-You
I-Raped-You
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:47 PM Reply

Rise of the MK, my favorite sprite series.