kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:04 AM Reply

may he rest in peace

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:07 AM Reply

Rest in peace Randy.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

Ericho
Ericho
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Oh, geez. It's been three years since Ben Spurgin died? It's hard to believe that and it still seems like only yesterday, we lost an important animator. I think in terms of animation, Randy Solem might have been the most important we've ever lost as he utilized the "Mario Vs. Sonic" cartoons (first is still the best), "Rise Of The MK", etc. It's so sad that someone so talented would have to die at such a young age. I really wish we could make a day tribute to him with flashes like we did with Ben Spurgin.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 9 hours ago, Vaelor wrote: Wow what the fuck, Stamper. I was reading the thread on where his cousin talked about how he died, and Stamper literally poked fun at him and two other members dying. What in the flying fuck is wrong with Stamper? Anyway, I used to watch his cartoons all the time and I'll miss him.

Stamper had a bitter rivalry with Randy and other sprite artists in the early 2000s. Stamper felt then that sprite flash artists like Randy Solem didn't deserve the positive recognition they got and many hand drawing flash artists like himself were being short changed and unfairly over shadowed by sprite artists. I never actually interacted with Stamper but he was bashed a great deal on VGDC forums in the early EZboard days. I guess due to all that Stamper's sentiments about Randy dying really aren't going to be too much.

I had loads of issues myself with Randy. We had a personality conflict. We never could have gotten along. However, still the guy died. I'm respectful of that. I guess due to the conflicts Randy had with other people I guess not many of them see it as a guy dying young and it being a sad situation but more or less that they got the better of an enemy or that they could care less because they didn't like him anyways.

Wait till people start pumping out sprite tribute flashes to Randy and Stamper weighs in on that. Stamper absolutely despises sprite flash and sprite games that use rips rather than original artwork. What is even more interesting is that since Stamper is a main part of the Newgrounds staff now, he has the power to have any sprite flash removed from the portal and can justify it by saying the art is plagiarized and violates copyrights of Nintendo, Sega, etc etc. and then turn around and tell people to use their own artwork only.

SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 21 minutes ago, j0hnny wrote:
Wait till people start pumping out sprite tribute flashes to Randy and Stamper weighs in on that. Stamper absolutely despises sprite flash and sprite games that use rips rather than original artwork. What is even more interesting is that since Stamper is a main part of the Newgrounds staff now, he has the power to have any sprite flash removed from the portal and can justify it by saying the art is plagiarized and violates copyrights of Nintendo, Sega, etc etc. and then turn around and tell people to use their own artwork only.

So he's basically hating on the attention? People are praising the video, not saying he drew and created everything from scratch. He's never claimed info and all the copyrights were always given. There's nothing to be mad about...? Especially now, would he rather have all the views and praise Randy had, while no longer being alive? He's paid the ultimate price in life, there's absolutely no reason to be bitter.

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 6 minutes ago, SouthJersey wrote:
So he's basically hating on the attention? People are praising the video, not saying he drew and created everything from scratch. He's never claimed info and all the copyrights were always given. There's nothing to be mad about...? Especially now, would he rather have all the views and praise Randy had, while no longer being alive? He's paid the ultimate price in life, there's absolutely no reason to be bitter.

Well heres what it is and what I was even discussing with someone else. Regardless of what Randy or anyone else makes the most important part of a Flash Movie is the plot and jokes. The art is secondary. Randy always put the plot and jokes first in his movies. This is something I always stood by. People like Stamper like to focus first on the eye candy and the presentation of a Flash movie. Its different ways of looking at things.

Stamper has a very dry sense of humor, I don't find anything he has made at all even slightly funny but he pays a lot of attention to detail. I remember seeing a collab where Stamper did a Metal Gear Solid 3 joke of Snake licking a vagina. This to me was not at all funny or amusing. Though the detail and artwork was great.

Randy on the other hand took rips and sprites from other sources and focused more on the jokes and plot. He felt it more important to really make an effort with the plot to the point of writing up scripts and drawing blue prints before hand. I have to respect all thats gone into Randy's Flash movies because yeah although he didn't make the art himself a hell of a lot went into the planning.

I can appreciate South Park much more than I could appreciate some of the CGI crap I see in movies. I helped create sprite flash movies for Razoric. I ripped backgrounds, sounds and sprites tirelessly but the most important part of the movies stemmed from AIM conversations between myself and Rob Foor just joking around and laughing. It wasn't about the artwork, it was about the fun factor. Randy enjoyed what he did and he found his jokes amusing as did other people. Thats the important part as far as I am concerned. He had fun while he worked and others got a laugh out of it. So IMO who cares about the eye candy.

altr
altr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:38 PM Reply

• The Price of Pixels
    The Price of Pixels by JeremyLokken

A hard life is the price of pixels.

Score
    3.51 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

I'm a bad person and will be the next to die no doubt.

Randy In Peace.

At 1/16/09 06:14 AM, Jonas wrote:
: Altr remains the only reason the BBS is here. It waits for him to post, and cries when he ignores it's unlubed asshole.

BBS Signature
DancingTomato
DancingTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:56 PM Reply

Fuck, I loved his animations, this is sad :[

BBS Signature
littlegonkyboy
littlegonkyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:05 PM Reply

damn, i just watched all the rise of the MK series.. and it was pretty good!
RIP Randy

Signature made by illicit, thank you!

BBS Signature
Tollo79
Tollo79
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Randy you made the best sprites R.I.P I wish your daughter the best bro

Tollo79

BBS Signature
Plebbi
Plebbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:13 PM Reply

Oh that is sad news :(... R.I.P Randy Solem, you will be missed! No one can ever come close to be as good as you with sprite movies. Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom was one of the greatest sprite movies i have seen.. My prayers go to his family and friends.

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

Another thing I would like to say about Randy. He always stressed community involvement. This was really cool to me. I'll show you guys a blast from the past:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030803092719/http://www.videoga medc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112

It was contests like these which really was the start of comic sites like Rage Comics and such. These little image caption contests. When I was admin over at VGDC these times were probably among the best times. It wasn't about stupid drama and who is more important than who. It was just about having fun and making jokes.

just2pale
just2pale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:16 PM Reply

Always a shame to lose someone .. especially someone who had the talent to inspire others.

Randy Solem, 1975-2012

Avizura
Avizura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, Sevkat wrote: I find it hard to swallow. I lurked around VGDC before I ever even joined Newgrounds. I remember talking to Randy personally, he was a p. chill br0

Same here.

Fl l.l i '/. l.l l' Fl

jftouma
jftouma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:41 PM Reply

RIP Randy, that's a terrible shame. Condolences to his family - may they find peace. Many people loved him through his work.

Avizura
Avizura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

I visited his new site (vgdc.us) and noticed the track called "DJSakin - Protect Your Mind"

I used to listen to this track a lot in the past!

So much memories. ... Even for a 15 year old.

Fl l.l i '/. l.l l' Fl

SouthJersey
SouthJersey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, altr wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/217474

Randy In Peace.

Haha nah, Randy even showed me that over his house a few years ago, he found it funny and flattering. Not to mention the douche that made the video, it's ashame that his biggest view count for that year is because it was about Randy.

I'd be a hater too if my best video had 808,000 views and Randy's 'best' video has 2.3 million+ in 8 years lol. Was he on TV for his work? Ahhh I see now.

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, SouthJersey wrote:
At 1 hour ago, altr wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/217474

Randy In Peace.
Haha nah, Randy even showed me that over his house a few years ago, he found it funny and flattering. Not to mention the douche that made the video, it's ashame that his biggest view count for that year is because it was about Randy.

I'd be a hater too if my best video had 808,000 views and Randy's 'best' video has 2.3 million+ in 8 years lol. Was he on TV for his work? Ahhh I see now.

flashzombies actually parodied that too:

• Price of Pixels 2
    Price of Pixels 2 by privatedonut

"this movie is making fun of someone that was making fun of someone"

Score
    1.10 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

Rob-Rage
Rob-Rage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

Good god, his toons were some of the first flash animations I've ever seen!

He will defiantly be missed...

Plebbi
Plebbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, j0hnny wrote:
At 6 minutes ago, SouthJersey wrote:
Well heres what it is and what I was even discussing with someone else. Regardless of what Randy or anyone else makes the most important part of a Flash Movie is the plot and jokes. The art is secondary. Randy always put the plot and jokes first in his movies. This is something I always stood by. People like Stamper like to focus first on the eye candy and the presentation of a Flash movie. Its different ways of looking at things.

Stamper has a very dry sense of humor, I don't find anything he has made at all even slightly funny but he pays a lot of attention to detail. I remember seeing a collab where Stamper did a Metal Gear Solid 3 joke of Snake licking a vagina. This to me was not at all funny or amusing. Though the detail and artwork was great.

Randy on the other hand took rips and sprites from other sources and focused more on the jokes and plot. He felt it more important to really make an effort with the plot to the point of writing up scripts and drawing blue prints before hand. I have to respect all thats gone into Randy's Flash movies because yeah although he didn't make the art himself a hell of a lot went into the planning.

I can appreciate South Park much more than I could appreciate some of the CGI crap I see in movies. I helped create sprite flash movies for Razoric. I ripped backgrounds, sounds and sprites tirelessly but the most important part of the movies stemmed from AIM conversations between myself and Rob Foor just joking around and laughing. It wasn't about the artwork, it was about the fun factor. Randy enjoyed what he did and he found his jokes amusing as did other people. Thats the important part as far as I am concerned. He had fun while he worked and others got a laugh out of it. So IMO who cares about the eye candy.

Ill take Randy over Stamper any day of the week, he may be a staff here and i may have been away from newgrounds for years but reading about his reaction to Randy's death is lack of respect. One thing Stamper may not realize some people don't have the drawing skills. I for one am one of those who does not draw very well for animation purposes although creating some vector based logo in Illustrator is more my speed. Randy may not have been good at drawing from scratch but his Sprite cartoons made more then up for the lack in that department. It takes TIME and a lot of effort to create RISE OF THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM!, sprite or no sprite, he always gave copyrights to Nintendo, Sega etc and KICKED ASS at what he did.. RIP Randy Solem

I have nothing against Stamper and i respect all artists for their input and talent but Stamper could be less of a dick ( referring to the whole making fun of people who died ) and Vagina jokes aren't funny..

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, Plebbi wrote: Ill take Randy over Stamper any day of the week, he may be a staff here and i may have been away from newgrounds for years but reading about his reaction to Randy's death is lack of respect. One thing Stamper may not realize some people don't have the drawing skills. I for one am one of those who does not draw very well for animation purposes although creating some vector based logo in Illustrator is more my speed. Randy may not have been good at drawing from scratch but his Sprite cartoons made more then up for the lack in that department. It takes TIME and a lot of effort to create RISE OF THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM!, sprite or no sprite, he always gave copyrights to Nintendo, Sega etc and KICKED ASS at what he did.. RIP Randy Solem

I have nothing against Stamper and i respect all artists for their input and talent but Stamper could be less of a dick ( referring to the whole making fun of people who died ) and Vagina jokes aren't funny..

To be quite honest I said this to someone else. If you paint the Mona Lisa and you use sloppy cat shit to do it, no matter how much of a work of art it is, its still sloppy cat shit. The point of the art again is not the important part. You gotta consider that the meat and potatoes of a Flash is the plot style and humor. Arfenhouse for example in certain portions of the movie was poorly drawn and poorly animated and this was on purpose. It was never the point of the movie to be a work of art, but to make people laugh and it did.

I don't care if a Flash movie looks like it was drawn and animated by a 3 year old. I care if it makes me laugh or I find it interesting in some way or another. And in some cases fancy effects and art ruin things. Look at what happened when George Lucas redid the blu ray versions of the Star Wars movies with fancy CGI stuff and added in effects. People hated it. They loved Star Wars for being Star Wars, not dressing it up like a Warthog going to a nightclub.

Anyways point being is that I don't care if Randy uses sprites, badly drawn hand drawn images, or whatever. The point being is that he tried to be creative and innovative with the plot, humor as well as the rest of his ideas. ROTMK was innovative for what it was and the Zelda film he was working on, had he finished it, would have done the same as what ROTMK did.

RedHarvest
RedHarvest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

man...thats awful - - i get my first real job check next week so -perhaps i can give some to his family

best wishes for them~~

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature
Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

I used to watch his movies all the time when I was younger. It sucks to see someone who entertained me as a kid pass away.

BBS Signature
yinyangman
yinyangman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

That's really sad! I can't believe that.

I sure loved his ROTMK? It kicks ass, even after this tragic passing.

Hopefully the same thing won't happen to Mark Haynes (aka Alvin Earthworm) who is another epic sprite animator compared to his furry art, but I admit he's done the latter long before doing his flash series.

SoniProductions
SoniProductions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

No, no... It can't be... No, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! D: D:

BBS Signature
ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 04:01 PM Reply

I am very saddened to hear that Randy has passed away. He has always been one of my favorite Flash arts ever.

Rest in peace, Randy. Newgrounds just won't be the same without you. :-(

Find me on Facebook!

Mariofan32234
Mariofan32234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

R.I.P our favorite flasher :(______

I love Mario!YOU HATERS ARE BASTARDS!
3DS code:2406-5496-3106
Name:Mario

Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Oh no! I watched that Mario vs Sonic video last week after not having seen it for nearly ten years. I'm actually pretty sad now.

BBS Signature
Avizura
Avizura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 05:04 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yn-4__SG8c&feature=related

Song playing while I think about all the good times of the early 2000s...

Fl l.l i '/. l.l l' Fl

JMartin97
JMartin97
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

RIP

:(

BBS Signature