Respond to this Topic
Bigfoot3290
Bigfoot3290
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Unbelievable. Randy Solem inspired me to start work on my own sprite films, like many others on Newgrounds. It's hard to imagine how my creations here would've turned out without his influence, or if they would have come into fruition in the first place. He was a very nice guy who gave me a free plug on his site VGDC for Super Mario Land IV (2006). He sent me PMs after several submissions encouraging me to keep at it (even after I beat him to a Daily Feature one time). I never met him in person, but I viewed him sort of like a big brother. Back in 2002-2005, he was by and large the main source of inspiration for almost every sprite artist on this site and across the web. Rise of the MK set the standard for sprite films--a standard that has not changed since. I wish his family and friends well.

skinlab-kid
skinlab-kid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

r.i.p randy, you will be very missed....

ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:21 AM Reply

That's so upsetting. I watched his videos since I was a young teen. Very upsetting. I actually feel hollow right now.

Best wishes to his friends and family.

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
DOMIN8ER258
DOMIN8ER258
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:22 AM Reply

R.I.P. Randy

saathvikputhran
saathvikputhran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:28 AM Reply

bad to hear bad news

Draziil
Draziil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:51 AM Reply

At 3 days ago, TomFulp wrote: Sad news; Randy Solem, one of the original stars of NG, passed away this week at the age of 36.

Randy was an early pioneer of sprite movies, inspiring many who have made their own sprite movies over the past 12 years. Classics include:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/28041
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/6401
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/113889
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/124155
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/184865
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/224974
Check out Randy's Movies page for more.

Beyond his sprite movies, Randy was a great guy and supportive member of the NG community. He'll be greatly missed.

Randy's family is accepting donations for his 18 month old daughter. If you can, please Paypal some money to [email protected] and it will go into a fund to pay for her education.

After the passing of Ben Spurgin in 2009, we talked about setting up a page to document NG regulars who are no longer with us. I finally set up this In Memoriam page in the Wiki. Let me know if you have suggestions / additions. I'd like to add pictures so we'll probably do that.

wow. I can't believe it, just like that. I hadn't seen his VGDC stuff in years but just last week i showed my girlfriend ROTMK and she loved it. it's terrible to hear he's gone so suddenly. the family is probably witholding details about his death until later...R.I.P, Randy. you were truly the master of sprite animation.

Plebbi
Plebbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

At 1 day ago, j0hnny wrote: I'm sure others have done this but I put a little nod of respect to Randy on my Facebook page. He was a great online Nemesis of mine, but also he gets a hell of a lot of respect from me. Even Cobra Commander would have been sad if Duke died.

Look if you guys want some kind of last hurrah to Randy I propose a flash contest. See Randy held Flash contests all the time back in the forum days. So I say there should be a flash contest with an entry fee and the winner receives a prize. All proceeds from the contest will go towards Rielle's Education Fund. The winner of the contest should receive of course a prize. Actually I would say any type of tribute Flash to any of Randy's Flashes including Curious George as well. The tribute you make does not have to be sprite based, it can be hand drawn. I dunno what do you think guys. Good idea?

Did this too my post is exactly this
Steini Pé
âEU RIP Randy Solem 1975-2012 âEU

Gerðir frábærar stuttmyndir og varst algjör meistari á meðal Newgrounds Ã- að gera Sprite animation.
Betur þekktur fyrir að gera Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom serÃ-una sérstaklega hjá nýliðum, og finnst mér þetta atriði vera bara viðeigandi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bQU 8Efn9Jio#t=120s

Gerðir frábærar stuttmyndir og varst algjör meistari á meðal Newgrounds Ã- að gera Sprite animation.
Betur þekktur fyrir að gera Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom serÃ-una sérstaklega hjá nýliðum, og finnst mér þetta atriði vera bara viðeigandi.
means..
You did some awesome short movies and you were a true Sprite King among Newgrounds. You are mostly known for ROTMK especially among new people, and i find this part only be fitting to what has happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bQU 8Efn9Jio#t=120s

shadowaaron
shadowaaron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:46 PM Reply

i know i havent had an account long but i have known about this site practilly since i HAD internet but 36 jeez i know i joke around about 20 being old (im 14) but i didnt know that HE made those mushroom kingdom ones i love those but 36 is young and i mean YOUNG so rip dude but i have a good song for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyvTV5OJ5E&list=FLK7hjWUrafC X5k5qAngKekg&index=67&feature=plpp_video

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:13 PM Reply

I happened to notice a couple of top Newgrounds people being credited in some movies. Jose Ortiz a.k.a Mindchamber was credited in Yoshi's Island 2. I didn't even know Randy made movies with anyone else besides Razoric/Rob. I'm finding that I'm learning more and more about Randy, his work, what type of person he was offline and a lot of other things I never knew before. Things I never looked at before, noticed, or read I am doing so now. Some things even bring back all sorts of memories.

hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:36 PM Reply

RIP, Randy. I genuinely care about his passing. No, really, I do.

BBS Signature
Acrylia
Acrylia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

That sucks hard.

Coming home on Friday, hoping to plop down and watch some funny videos on NG, this was the last thing I wanted to see. It's the last thing anybody wants to see, really.

Although I have never seen any of his movies, by the way people speak of him, you can tell he was a good man. He was a great contributor to this site, and he will be remembered and loved by this community for a long time yet, which is more than I can say for myself.

Rest in peace, you big goofy man :)

-

Oh yes, and to all those who wondered how he died; If Tom deemed it appropriate to tell the specifications of his death, then he would have posted it along with the rest of the post. This is a private matter; if the family or Tom wants to tell you, they will.

blackvelvety
blackvelvety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

rip randy

BBS Signature
Tropicana
Tropicana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

I remeber growing up with those cartoons in the old, all or nothing, glory days of newgrounds.

catman503
catman503
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

I remember watching some of the early movies and thinking "What a talented artist, I hope he releases more". It's a shame that he passed away at such an early age.

dirtcrak14
dirtcrak14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:58 PM Reply

R.I.P Randy Solem,
You gave us the fun we want, you made me want to be a game designer when I get older. You will be missed.

Anix1088
Anix1088
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

R.I.P Randy may he never be forgotten and really 36? Waaay to young for him. I hope he didn't suffer.. <:'C

Corrupted117
Corrupted117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Wow. This is incredibly surprising and sad. I remember watching his sprite-toons when I was younger. I still love those. RIP Randy, I hope your soul is at peace.

SaberStickZZ
SaberStickZZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:37 PM Reply

Is it true? he's gone?

BBS Signature
kevzilla
kevzilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

NOOOO!!!! THIS CANT HAPPEN AWWW GAWD WHY MAN.

I just had to get that out. Man... worst news since the death of ole' turtleneck (AKA Steve Jobs). I mean so young and he has a child too. This is some really depressing news man. If it was not for him, I would never discovered Newgrounds. This site is arguably the greatest place for Indy games, music, art, and whatever and he helped made this site witty, funny, and sometimes over-the-top what it is today. This guy is was an game changer in the flash scene. He inspired many. Introduced many to flash animation. And did one of the things few pieces of art does, Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom made me cry. If anything makes me cry, I will never forget it. That is why he will never be forgotten by me.

IN THE NAME OF OUR KING AND OWNER OF OUR ASSES

RAYMOND SOLEM,

I FOREVER IMMORALIZE YOU TO THE HEARTS OF ARTISTS, GEEKS, AND GAMERS.

YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.

BBS Signature
danger-rob
danger-rob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:44 AM Reply

Mack Daddy Mario and Rise of the MK were some of my favorite sprite movies of all time. R.I.P to the great Randy Solem.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 05:20 AM Reply

The name rings a bell so I must have watched a few flashes at least, always sat to see a newgrounder go. RIP Randy.

speedsk8r
speedsk8r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 06:15 AM Reply

this is incredibly sad. randy solems movies were the ones that got me into newgrounds in the first place. his style of humour, his animation skills, everything was very inspiring to me. i am so sad that he passed away, and i hope his family is taking it easy. rip randy you wil be missed :(

seriously, stop being a fucking pussy

metalbas3000
metalbas3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 08:56 AM Reply

thanks to randy solem, i met newgrounds. when i see mario vs sonic in 2005, im thinking to look more animations for randy solem, he has my inspiration... good bye randy solem... i will miss you and everyone

Deadtomyworld
Deadtomyworld
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM Reply

Wow, He Died So Young! My Little Brothers Loved His Videos. I Watched Them Us A Kid. RIP Randy.

dimonman2
dimonman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:17 PM Reply

He made awesome movies he will be greatly missed but from the ashes of despair a new star will rise and make him proud that he isn't the end of the newgrounds legacy. R.I.P Randy will not stop the portal.

GokuVegetaGogetta
GokuVegetaGogetta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Art Lover
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:33 PM Reply

Can't honestly say I saw any of his stuff, but, R I P Brother.

I think the In Memoriam page is a great idea.

Also this might sound a bit odd, but would it be possible to revert Ben Spurgin's display picture back to him playing guitar? It was kinda cool seeing him whilst I listened to Thrill, and in all honestly it's a little sad that there's a generic NG user image there instead. Still a good song either way!

Much love! xx

YoYo17
YoYo17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

Rest in peace Randy. I always enjoyed your sprite movies. You were the best man.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 3/23/12 01:13 PM, j0hnny wrote: I happened to notice a couple of top Newgrounds people being credited in some movies. Jose Ortiz a.k.a Mindchamber was credited in Yoshi's Island 2. I didn't even know Randy made movies with anyone else besides Razoric/Rob. I'm finding that I'm learning more and more about Randy, his work, what type of person he was offline and a lot of other things I never knew before. Things I never looked at before, noticed, or read I am doing so now. Some things even bring back all sorts of memories.

I never worked with Randy on anything, and as far as I know neither had Tom. Though I guess there could've been a chance one of use helped him with a flash issue. Or it could've been his way at jabbin at us for wanting to make that pitbull game way back in the day. Randy was a major troll.

j0hnny
j0hnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 03:46 PM, MindChamber wrote: I never worked with Randy on anything, and as far as I know neither had Tom. Though I guess there could've been a chance one of use helped him with a flash issue. Or it could've been his way at jabbin at us for wanting to make that pitbull game way back in the day. Randy was a major troll.

You know Jose I never got along with Randy when he was alive either. There were a lot of bitter feelings between him and I over the years when he was alive. Many people had great relationships with him. I unfortunately wasn't one of them and neither were you. We only got this image and perception of Randy that was purely negative. I get the feeling I know how you feel but I guess I feel that kind of badly that I never made peace with him when he was alive. Its not as if either of us or anyone else for that matter could expect an apology from a dead guy or an olive branch to make peace. So to say he died in this negative persona some people perceived him as being is unfair to him because not him or anyone else got a chance to settle their differences once and for all. He never got the chance to even try to make things right.

I mean I myself am not trying to be a jerk to anyone right now. I'm saying most of the time we say things online, offline, etc. that are fucked up and we do fucked up things. Doesn't mean we're all bad people. There could be misunderstandings and misconceptions.

I guess what I'm saying is that we didn't walk in his shoes so we never knew why he acted the way he did towards us and how he perceived hos he was being treated. Maybe he felt we were trolling or bullying him which is why he acted the way he did. Maybe he felt cornered.

Sometimes things aren't just basic and black and white.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 3/24/12 04:11 PM, j0hnny wrote:
At 3/24/12 03:46 PM, MindChamber wrote: I never worked with Randy on anything, and as far as I know neither had Tom. Though I guess there could've been a chance one of use helped him with a flash issue. Or it could've been his way at jabbin at us for wanting to make that pitbull game way back in the day. Randy was a major troll.
You know Jose I never got along with Randy when he was alive either. There were a lot of bitter feelings between him and I over the years when he was alive. Many people had great relationships with him. I unfortunately wasn't one of them and neither were you. We only got this image and perception of Randy that was purely negative. I get the feeling I know how you feel but I guess I feel that kind of badly that I never made peace with him when he was alive. Its not as if either of us or anyone else for that matter could expect an apology from a dead guy or an olive branch to make peace. So to say he died in this negative persona some people perceived him as being is unfair to him because not him or anyone else got a chance to settle their differences once and for all. He never got the chance to even try to make things right.

I mean I myself am not trying to be a jerk to anyone right now. I'm saying most of the time we say things online, offline, etc. that are fucked up and we do fucked up things. Doesn't mean we're all bad people. There could be misunderstandings and misconceptions.

I guess what I'm saying is that we didn't walk in his shoes so we never knew why he acted the way he did towards us and how he perceived hos he was being treated. Maybe he felt we were trolling or bullying him which is why he acted the way he did. Maybe he felt cornered.

Sometimes things aren't just basic and black and white.

don't get me wrong I'm sure he was a great guy in real life. and he knew how to distinguish internet nonsense from what was really important.(something that took me longer to accomplish) He was great at being loyal to his friends and annoying to those that wasn't. I just think it would be a huge disservice to who he was online,if we played down the fact that he had a tendency to be a major douche. For the record we were ok with each other,but I'm pretty sure He would be laughing at all this "he was this amazing talent" stuff. He did what he did, had fun with it, squeezed money out of it when he saw that he could ,and ruffled some feathers when he was bored. And Im pretty sure he'd correct you as well if it came off that we were collab buddies when we weren't.

Its reasons like this History could never be reliable, because death influences everything. remember everything about the person, the good and the bad, appreciate who he was, for what he was.