Be a Supporter!

Your Stance on Suicide?

  • 4,303 Views
  • 180 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ketchemonia
Ketchemonia
  • Member since: May. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:50 PM Reply

My stance on suicide is only a fool commits, and that person is a complete jackass to think that their life is that worthless. Obviously they don't know that life is gift, from what you ask, I don't know, my personal preference is God gave that gift. Nonetheless whether you hate or love god something gave you that gift. My moms hung herself and I was only 3 months in the same room watching, it had an affect then but know Im sure anymore.


signature by moquaga

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Painbringer wrote: Saying "suicide is not the answer" is like saying "don't pay taxes"

We all eventually have to pay taxes - And Die.

Not really. Those two things are on completely different levels.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, yurgenburgen wrote: I understand completely why anyone would want to kill themselves, and I don't blame people who try.
The only guarantee in life is death, so if you can have some say over when it happens, more power to you.

OP, you have absolutely no idea what kind of mental and emotional turmoil suicidal people experience on a daily basis. All the positive vibes and inspirational quotes in the world aren't going to change a thing.

I agree completely. I've never attempted suicide, but I thought about it all the time back in middle school (I was really fucked up back then, but not so much anymore). OP, congrats for having a really positive outlook on life, but there are people who are going through worse that you are.


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

"To be, or not to be--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep--
No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprise of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry
And lose the name of action. -- Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia! -- Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered. "

This basically sums up why people do or don't kill themselves.


BBS Signature
Asperchu
Asperchu
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:50 PM Reply

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU'RE MEEEE

Life is hard when you're a basement dweller mooching of your parents.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Ilssm wrote:
Life is hard when you're a basement dweller mooching of your parents.
HEY, I'm no basement dweller!

We don't have basements in Florida, 'tard.

Holy shit I never recall seeing a basement in Florida or on TV shows based in Florida, is this actually true, at least for homes?


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 20 minutes ago, Ilssm wrote:
We don't have basements in Florida, 'tard.

How deep do your foundations go?

I know there is frost in Florida, and the foundations must be deeper than the depth of frost penetration.

lolomfgisuck
lolomfgisuck
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

On one hand, when you're young, you don't realize how much life has to offer. You think it won't get better or that it doesn't matter, but over time you start to compile more and more experiances. Eventually it becomes hard to imagine not being able to have done those things and you feel bad for those who die young... be it by their own hands or otherwise.

At the same time, it's selfish of me to force someone to live a life they hate just because I don't want to go through the pain of losing them. If someone truly is miserable I feel that it's their life, and their decision... and they should have the right to do as they please.

I wouldn't suggest it though. It might seem like a good idea at the time, but it's not. Even if you have nothing to live for, you might as well keep going.... who knows, maybe you'll find something to live for. If not, well... the end result is the same and at least you can go out in your old age saying "I tried". At least that way you know what happened instead of making everyone wonder "what could have been"


John Rambo is my hero

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 35 seconds ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote: I like how people call what they're too afraid to do a pussy move.

I like how people seem to equate not being a total fucking retard with being too afraid to do something.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, Ragnarokia wrote: 1: As long as the person committing suicide leaves no mark on anyone else emotionally by doing so they can do it. However if others are going to be upset over it I am against it.

Other than my parents, I'm absolutely certain no one on NG cares if I die.

2: If they have no other alternative to suicide or their suicide will be beneficial to the world in such a way that outweighs the impact of committing it.

Like if someone murdered someone out of anger and then killed themselves?

Add those two together for my stance.

So only those who nobody likes, or knows, have the right to kill themselves?

cool4345
cool4345
  • Member since: Feb. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

People who say that people who commit suicide are pretty much ignorant.

It's already been said, but people who kill theirselves have lost pretty much all hope in life. Imagine going through your whole life without any friends, being bullied all of your life, having more than one person very close to you die, or even watching someone die. It's very distressing.

Some people don't have family who really love them.

And imagine if you're being bullied. You'd tell the teachers, but in a lot of cases this makes it worse. You could try fighting back, but that would make YOU seem like the bully if people are ignorant enough, and it may not end the bullying, it could only intensify it.

And look at the state of the world now. There's getting less and less reason to live for. People are constantly fighting now and don't seem to be as nice as they were a few years ago, at least online from my experiences. Stuff like music and some video games, the quality of them seem to be gradually getting worse and worse now as time goes on, with the odd diamond among all of the crap.

There's also been major technological advances, and people may feel like they're being forced to use them rather than use older technology which they prefer, and some people will not want that, at all.

Some people also don't see themselves having a future at all. The economy at the moment is terrible, and it doesn't seem to be improving any time soon. Less jobs means that people don't know if they'll be able to ever get a job or have a successful life. A lot of people have no self esteem, and think that they won't be able to do anything.


sig made by Willzyx ^^

BBS Signature
cool4345
cool4345
  • Member since: Feb. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:13 PM Reply

Oh, and i forgot to mention. People who kill theirselves after something little happens like breaking up with someone or losing a friend, are pussies. However, most people who kill theirselves probably have been thinking about it for a LONG time and have decided that it's the best decision.


sig made by Willzyx ^^

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Programmer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, HiryuGouki wrote:.

If you commit suicide, you're a coward. You're a coward, and I hope you get what's coming to you.

Lol. You hope dead people get what's coming to them. What's the worst that could happen? they die again?
Unless you believe in hell. But I'll stop there so a big flame war doesn't start.

Anyway, I think if you're gonna commit suicide you should have a good reason.
Like, if all my friends and family were slaughtered, or I was about to go to jail. But "I got dumped OMG :(" is a stupid reason.

People should have the right to kill themselves though. Even though I would be all "suicide isn't the answer!" towards someone I cared about.


BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

I've noticed that some people use words like selfish, cowardly when it comes to suicide, and that argument is really nothing more than shortsighted, knee-jerk reactions to a negative event. People need to realize that not all suicides should be treated the same way, and to think otherwise is pretty myopic.

For example, the samurai in Japan who were dishonored by their masters for whatever reason would normally commit seppaku, which is part of the Bushido code that some people in Japan use even today. Would you consider those samurai who served their masters but had a screw-up somewhere and committed ritual suicide cowardly? Or how about a prisoner who is serving life without parole for killing 3 or 4 people in cold blood? Even if they do attempt to change their lives, in the sheer scope of things, it's practically worthless to the rest of us, considering that he or she will never be able to use their skills on the outside world. Outside of their family and close friends, do you think that the rest of the world would care if a lifer inmate commits suicide? The obvious answer is no.

The point I'm trying to get across is that suicide isn't as black and white as it seems. If people can step into their shoes and deal with the problems {both physical and emotional/mental} that these people face, then maybe you would have a different view on it. Don't take all suicides at face value, read the fine print before making a rash judgement.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:08 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Yeah, I'm sure your not afraid to shoot yourself through your right pinky finger.

It has nothing to do with fear, it has to do with not being a total idiot. People seem to equate stupidity with bravery, when really it's a lack of cognitive processes.

Don't worry man you won't die, just do it in a hospital or close to one. It's not stupid you only need to heal.

you don't even need it man just do it to prove your great point.

Right. Because not wanting to do something totally means I'm afraid of them. It's a cost/benefit thing. Great cost, no benefit, so why the fuck do it?


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
VILLAlNS
VILLAlNS
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, HiryuGouki wrote: My stance goes a little something like this:

The hell did you just go on about?

Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

Guess no one here bothered reading the Shakespearian text tis it too hard to read...


BBS Signature
VILLAlNS
VILLAlNS
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:18 PM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote: Guess no one here bothered reading the Shakespearian text tis it too hard to read...

Honestly, I gave up on Shakespear once I finished highschool. It's not that it's too "hard" to read. I just find it very, very, very dull and boring. You going to watch a chick-flick drama, or an action movie...

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 56 seconds ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 9 minutes ago, RacistBassist wrote:
won't admit he's afraid of something
Thinks not being able to handle adversity and ending it all is bravery

Retarded.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:21 PM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, VILLAlNS wrote:
At 2 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote: Guess no one here bothered reading the Shakespearian text tis it too hard to read...
Honestly, I gave up on Shakespear once I finished highschool. It's not that it's too "hard" to read. I just find it very, very, very dull and boring. You going to watch a chick-flick drama, or an action movie...

But Hamlet is a morbid tragedy and filled with action scenes! Then again, not everyone can understand and visualize Shakespeare, so I don't blame you for giving it up after highschool.


BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 42 seconds ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote: IM NOT AFRAID TO JUMP OFF OF THIS CLIFF I JUST THINK IT'S A STUPID THING TO DO HAHA

Yeah....that's right......stupid thing to do

Yes, that's right.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, CogSpin wrote:
Frankly, I'm too pussy to commit suicide.... so from that, I would say, it's cowardly NOT to commit suicide... I can't think of anything that takes more courage.

People still confusing bravery vs desperation I see.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:34 PM Reply

OP is one oblivious kid. People that commit suicide obviously have seen much darker times than you. Just because you have never seen a low like that does not mean it can't exist in others.

I personally think its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Most situations can be resolved, and one thing is cretin in this life and that is death. But people can lose hope after years of emotional weight on their backs and the stress can push people to see the end sooner. In no was is it "the pussy way out" if anything I feel for people that even contemplate thoughts of suicide because it shows that a person is weak, and screaming for something to change.

OP educate yourself on the human species before spreading your horrid fact-less opinions.


BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:45 PM Reply

I'm going to side with RB on this one(LOL NO WAY) and say that yes, just because you don't actively pursue something doesn't mean you're afraid of it.

For example, while I might not be afraid of death, I don't put myself in life-threatening situations for shits and giggles.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:51 PM Reply

At 31 seconds ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Yeah sure, lets all pretend every single living organism on this planet tries every single day to live because dying is just sooooo fucking retarded,man.

Congratulations, you now understand one of the basics of self-preservation and nature


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
Yeah sure, lets all pretend every single living organism on this planet tries every single day to live because dying is just sooooo fucking retarded,man.

This is the weirdest defensive statement on suicide I've ever read. So because 1% of the world commits suicide that makes it okay?


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 9 minutes ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, MultiCanimefan wrote:
Yeah sure, lets all pretend every single living organism on this planet tries every single day to live because dying is just sooooo fucking retarded,man.

What are you talking about? I never said or implied dying is/was retarded.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, AnonymousOfCali wrote: I always have, not sure you do though.

Says the person who thinks suicide is worthy of positive connotations, even in a situation that doesn't benefit humans.

But your a badass you just try to live because dying is fucking mainstream. Why is dying stupid? Because doing something you don't want to do is stupid? Why don't you want to do it? It's because you are afraid of dying. Wow, I know, it's a harsh reality to know that you, the greatest badass of the 20 and 21st century can be AFRAID of anything. We are all doomed if you have basic primal fear.

No, I try to live because it's all we got. I'm not going to just pussy out and say "fuck it," if shit gets hard, I'll do my best to make it better. It's what the rest of us are doing. Quitting partway through the race because you're tired doesn't make you brave. It's stupid because there is no logical reason to do it, unless it would have a greater benefit then it would have cost. So basically if you're knowingly doing something that will get you killed but will help others, then yeah, I guess it's a noble thing that takes bravery. Doing it because baaw people make fun of me or shit got hard? You're fucking worthless as a human, and quite frankly, I won't miss you. I'm not afraid of dying. I've came close to potentially dying before. I didn't feel scared. I felt "Fuck, this is going to suck." Basic primal fear? You mean basic primal instinct. Down to the smallest organism, survival and reproduction of the species is our strongest urges. The other organisms that purposefully kill themselves are stupid.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
SpartanBunny
SpartanBunny
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 12:05 AM Reply

It's been said already but I'll say it again. OP, you really have no idea how fucked up a person can feel. If you have a good family or friends that love you or both, you are hurting them. Obviously that's important, but if someone can be in a mental state in which they won't consider any of that. Or their issues are obscuring more rational thought. I can get really pissed off and do something hastily, then think back later and wonder why the hell I did that. There are things that most people have done that make them wonder the same thing. You can see people who are in horrible, abusive relationships and you say, "Why don't you just leave?" I could ask someone that, but I was the receiver of that question before, and it's not easy to answer rationally because your thoughts are clouded by emotion. Now imagine the strongest thing you felt, combine it with a mental illness like depression and tell yourself you would never lose judgment for a second.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

hey fellas im totally hipster and shit

selfishness is a human concept people should have the right to suicide who fucking cares what others think i am such a hardcore pessimist of a person that i will probably kill myself one day

my serious opinion: I still think that suicide should be up to the person and that we shouldn't have to 'exist/live/whatever' if we don't want to. We make our own purpose in life and we decide our value of life

still though I think people shouldn't do it cause life isn't always as bad for some people as they think it is and things can get better, it is a bit of a form of weakness to take the easy way out and kill yourself. Also I feel bad for the family and people around the person. Still though I think people should be free to kill themselves I guess


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it