Be a Supporter!

Your Stance on Suicide?

  • 4,441 Views
  • 197 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
bman200
bman200
  • Member since: Sep. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:11:55 Reply

Suck it up. Now that may seem harsh, but think about it. Is something really so bad as to where you go and throw your life away? In my opinion, you can make it through anything, so there's no reason to kill yourself before you get the chance.


The statement below this is false.
The statement above this is true.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:12:10 Reply

At 8 minutes ago, NightOwlRoost wrote:
It's not bravery its desperation.
Hmm..maybe, but it is still brave to take your life, of course not from the one who is committing suicide, but from anothers view point.

Offing yourself isn't courageous or brave in any way shape or form. Suicide is based on the lack of hope or will to continue living. It's a desperate act to ends ones own existence and no one gets respect for it, no one.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:16:07 Reply

At 1 minute ago, II2none wrote:
Offing yourself isn't courageous or brave in any way shape or form. Suicide is based on the lack of hope or will to continue living. It's a desperate act to ends ones own existence and no one gets respect for it, no one.

Couldn't disagree more. Their was a BBC documentary recently with Terry Pratchett that followed a man with a degenerative condition on his journey to a Swiss clinic. The people on it who didn't want to go through the indignity of not being able to wipe their own arses any more importantly didn't want their love ones to have to see them like that had my utmost respect.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:17:20 Reply

I see it as weakness. When we feel bad, we all want to just kill ourselves to end the misery, but we hang. Why? Because 1. we're strong and tough it out, 2. life will improve, and 3. it's stupid. I've had thoughts on suicide a while ago, but I thought "why bother?" I'd rather just live my life and see where it goes.

Suicide should only be for disasters and as a last resort in the off-chance that you'll probably be eaten by an alien monster or something.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:20:12 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, SnoopyChicken wrote: Couldn't disagree more. Their was a BBC documentary recently with Terry Pratchett that followed a man with a degenerative condition on his journey to a Swiss clinic. The people on it who didn't want to go through the indignity of not being able to wipe their own arses any more importantly didn't want their love ones to have to see them like that had my utmost respect.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the assisted suicide and people nearing the ends of their life and losing function of their body. I understand them. Anyone else though, fuck no it's not brave. Well, I guess it is if it happens by putting your life in danger for the sake of others like a fire or some shit, but the whiny teenage fucks who don't have backbone? Fuck them, they're pussies and attention whores.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Member since: Jun. 21, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:29:37 Reply

Yeah suicide is the coward's way out, but you dont know what issues that person was dealing with.


HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:32:44 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, SnoopyChicken wrote:

The people on it who didn't want to go through the indignity of not being able to wipe their own arses any more importantly didn't want their love ones to have to see them like that had my utmost respect.

You felt sympathy for his suffering not because of the act of suicide.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:38:37 Reply

Sounds like our OP has had what we like to call 'challenges'. People who commit suicide aren't really brought down by that. They're usually brought down to thinking they're worthless and that no one will miss them if they die. They think they're all alone in the world and are often shunned by their family and peers who don't believe that they have a problem. So I'm going to have to disagree with why you think it's wrong. I think it's an easy way out too, because they don't actively seek help when they're plenty of places they can go. Your reasoning looks like you're more envious of people that can get out rather than valuing life.


PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:40:40 Reply

At 19 minutes ago, RacistBassist wrote:

:Fuck them, they're pussies and attention whores.

I doubt that many people that actually go through with suicide are "just attention whores". Threatening suicide without going through is another thing.

SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:41:23 Reply

At 5 minutes ago, II2none wrote:
You felt sympathy for his suffering not because of the act of suicide.

No I didn't, as I sat there and watched him die in his wifes arms I felt immense respect for him and what he was doing for himself and his family, I also felt angry that he'd had to travel to Switzerland to do it whilst still relatively healthy instead of dying in this country at a time of his own choosing.

Yert
Yert
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:41:29 Reply

At 5 hours ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Committing suicide is a pussy way out.

you fucking kidding me? you'd have to be mentally strong as fuck to commit suicide really, since killing yourself goes against very strong basic natural instincts that are wired into your brain

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:46:22 Reply

At 4 minutes ago, bgraybr wrote: I doubt that many people that actually go through with suicide are "just attention whores". Threatening suicide without going through is another thing.

I liked how you at least put the part you changed about what I said in quotes.

At 3 minutes ago, Yert wrote: you fucking kidding me? you'd have to be mentally strong as fuck to commit suicide really, since killing yourself goes against very strong basic natural instincts that are wired into your brain

We override basic instincts all the damn. I hardly call it being mentally strong. Suicide is taking the easy way out


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Arachnus
Arachnus
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:53:38 Reply

Ive been thinking about suicide a lot lately, and the big thing for me is, if you kill yourself, then you are abandoning your entire family, i think its quite selfish to abandon everyone that loves you. almost a year ago i attempted suicide twice, and i don't think ive ever regret anything more than that.

I can understand how it feels to be clinically depressed, everyday for two months i just sat there lying down, rolling around in my own sorrow, unable to see any form of happiness. some people might say "Well just go out and enjoy yourself" but it doesent work like that, imagine having no other emotions than sadness, that's depression.

Bottom line, I will never try to kill myself again, unless there really is nothing, no family, no job, no money, no home etc.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:55:00 Reply

At 7 minutes ago, RacistBassist wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, bgraybr wrote: I doubt that many people that actually go through with suicide are "just attention whores". Threatening suicide without going through is another thing.
I liked how you at least put the part you changed about what I said in quotes.

I feel to see how "pussies and attention whores" is significantly different from "just attention whores" in this context.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:57:10 Reply

At 13 seconds ago, bgraybr wrote: I feel to see how "pussies and attention whores" is significantly different from "just attention whores" in this context.

*fail to see.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 20:57:25 Reply

At 37 seconds ago, bgraybr wrote: I feel to see how "pussies and attention whores" is significantly different from "just attention whores" in this context.

You fail to see how leaving out half of the terms I used to describe them and then throwing just in front of one that I nowhere implied was all they were? Calling somebody a friend and saying somebody is just a friend have two completely different meanings.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 21:03:19 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, RacistBassist wrote: You fail to see how leaving out half of the terms I used to describe them and then throwing just in front of one that I nowhere implied was all they were? Calling somebody a friend and saying somebody is just a friend have two completely different meanings.

I understand now but you still didn't respond to what I said? And if you're calling someone a pussy and attention whore after they've committed suicide you obviously didn't think much more of them in the first place.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 21:05:26 Reply

At 44 seconds ago, bgraybr wrote: I understand now but you still didn't respond to what I said? And if you're calling someone a pussy and attention whore after they've committed suicide you obviously didn't think much more of them in the first place.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think very little of them indeed. I honestly do not give two fucks that they died, except I feel sorry for the people who loved them because that person decided to bitch out. It's just very unreasonable to take what somebody said, put it in quotations as if it were a quote, and then not only give the rest of the statement (Go Breibart!), but modify what they said as well.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 21:07:15 Reply

I think it's a complete last resort, but you gotta do what you gotta do.


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 21:24:12 Reply

At 17 minutes ago, RacistBassist wrote: It's just very unreasonable to take what somebody said, put it in quotations as if it were a quote, and then not only give the rest of the statement (Go Breibart!), but modify what they said as well.

I just posted quickly and thought that I caught the gist of what you said (which I apparently did) though I admit that the quotation marks were a bad idea.

Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 21:26:19 Reply

It's murder. Your taking life, even though it's your own.


Jah Bless.......

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 22:17:30 Reply

At 6 hours ago, HiryuGouki wrote: My stance goes a little something like this:
Committing suicide is a pussy way out.

Yes and no. It's being pussy in the sense that someone may not be strong enough to deal with their problems head on. On the other hand, not that I'm condemning this at all or trying to say suicide is brave; but it takes a lot of guts to suffocate, put a gun to your head, swallow pills, and forego the feelings of people who actually care for you.

So I wouldn't say it's exactly a pussy move, just more of an unnecessary, myopic act. 90% of the time.

Life is hard. Get over it. Try being me, a guy who has an extremely short attention span, who forgets his friends' names all the time, and who's close to failing Economics because of the fact that it's online, and the fact that the tests' questions have extremely difficult to follow wording. Try being a guy who got screwed out of being in the Air Force and who could be

in Berlin hanging with beer maids and working on computer systems.

I don't see the purpose in your personal examples, especially if you're trying to illustrate how you overcome strife in the grand scheme of things, your problems don't really even measure up (ADD? Getting behind in class? Not being able to have your "dream job" as it seems?...). It doesn't matter. You will ALWAYS find someone in the world that has it much "worse" than you, and that doesn't make it right to belittle and minimize the problems of others who you see as having it better. The point of the matter: You lose a good friend, or your spill juice on brand new carpet. What makes a person feel a certain emotion is subjective. Having the actual extreme emotions on the other hand IS COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE. and it's hard to sympathize and reason for a person who has extreme sadness, if we don't know how they really feel. And just because we don't understand something doesn't make it less real.

Did I commit suicide yet? NO. Do I want to commit suicide for any reason at all? NO. Why? Because I know there are things I want to accomplish, and I have family members that actually give a damn about me.

so if you answered YES to those questions would you commit suicide? Rhetorical question because I know your answer is no. But I'd imagine the majority of people who commit suicide feel like there's nothing left to accomplish and they don't feel important in the world.

You get bullied a lot. Well, if you have ANY guts at all, and everything you've tried doesn't work, beat the living snot out of the bully and get it over with. Simple, right? If the bully doesn't listen, use force! You know what? I used to get bullied ALL THE TIME in high school (until I joined AFJROTC). People made fun of how skinny I was, and picked on me because I'm not exactly "Fashion-saavy". Did I kill myself? NO. Why? I had friends. I had dreams. I had family. Those things were enough to keep alive. I know life is going to be tough. Am I going to commit suicide? NO. Dying is easy. Life is hard. So what? I love a good challenge, and I can't wait to see what life throws at me next. I enjoy a good fight, and I always come out of it, regardless of how many bruises, cuts or scars I may get.

again, examples that don't really have any substance in your argument. you're also implicating that people who have the same kind of problems will automatically have the same support groups and ambitions as you.

if you're trying to be understanding and/or relatable you're not doing a very good job at it.

If you commit suicide, you're a coward. You're a coward, and I hope you get what's coming to you.

Excellent, that's exactly the type of motivation vulnerable, depressed people need.

Think of all the people who love and care about you.

What if your mother is dead, your father is a drug addict, and you have no immediate family, and no close friends?

Life has SO MANY wonderful things.

it also has plenty of rape, murder, violence, disrespectful assholes, close minded bigots, douchebags entirely incapable of compassion, war, disease, famine, people who are evilly obsessed with money and popularity, people who are more interested in their extracurricular activities & GPA than actually learning about the world and contributing for the sake of making the world a better place, people who would rather point the fingers than cooperate and actively attempt to make a change, etc.

there's also an equal amount of beautiful things in the world...like you mentioned. but it doesn't make the shit around us invisible. Actually, I take that back. It is invisible to some lucky people. And other unfortunate individuals are only exposed to the shit.

Why stop living now all because you get teased all the time? Life DOES get better! It may not happen immediately, it may not happen tomorrow, maybe not next week, but it WILL get better! Just give it a chance!

it doesn't always get better. Not for everybody. sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is nothing more than the headlamp of an oncoming train.

Anyways, that's enough ranting. Your stance?

i think suicide is justified only in two circumstances:

1. A criminal who does a lot of bad things. He feels remorse each time he kills and/or rapes someone, but cannot stop for whatever reason. In a moment of realization and shame, he decides to end himself and effectively cause harm to no more people.

2. Someone who has a terminal illness or serious chronic pain. It's cruel to force some to endure suffering just to possibly appease other people, and that's if they have people in their life to begin with.

and when I say see serious chronic pain, the only person that can diagnose such is the person themselves, not a doctor, priest, a clinical psychologist or series of medical tests. 90% of the time I think a suicide is unwarranted, or a knee-jerk reaction. but we can really never know, the magnitude and occurrence of another person's pain.


If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 23:36:50 Reply

While I don't necessarily condone most suicides, these things happen and there is nothing we can do to change that in the long term. Yes, there are always counseling and having a friend system can help someone from going over the edge, but sometimes that's not enough, whether it's apathy/denial on their part, or they're part of the problem and not the solution. Ultimately, it's up to the individual person whether they want to take their own life, and calling it shortsighted, selfish or anything like that is pretty shortsighted in itself.

As cruel as it sounds, when someone commits suicide, they are doing Darwin's work. It's certainly not the prettiest way, nor would I wish it on anyone I know, but sometimes the herd needs to be thinned out from time to time in order to maintain a balance, and in all honesty, the sooner we learn that, the better off we will be down the road.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-19 23:38:14 Reply

Do what you gotta do.


My power is the only power.

Riltin
Riltin
  • Member since: Oct. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 00:32:43 Reply

There are countless paths to suicide. Most involve the loss of something. An animal's will to live is extremely powerful, much more so than any other state of subconscious or even conscious thought, and thus the balance must be severely tipped before suicide even becomes an option.

Life is a constant battle in both directions. Without pain, there is no happiness. Without happiness, we cannot overcome our pain. When the scale rocks back and forth too violently and coping mechanisms begin to fall apart, people go mad. As people resist madness, they're capable of achieving great things, not the least of which would be staying alive. Those who become maniacal generally become dangerous to those around them, whereas seemingly those who become demented become dangerous to themselves.

Dementia, that serves as the core of depression, is a vacuum that stops at nothing to destroy a person. Lies that could not possibly be further from the truth suddenly become an everyday reality for those whose dementia begins to overpower them. In time, as their dementia grows alongside their loneliness, it becomes a greater and greater task to convince these people they are deluding themselves. As their condition worsens and their options to seek help eventually diminish, they will either go mad or commit suicide, before that happens.

Oftentimes, suicidal folks make the mistake of reaching out to their loved ones. They share their innermost feelings with the only people they feel they can trust as a last resort and, more often than not, those people will retaliate against the depressed person in anger. Dementia then uses that anger they show as justification they no longer love them, and the scale only continues to dive from there. Tough love does not exist to these people. The only way you can save them is to pull them out of the dark pool their drowning in through your own volition, not shove them even deeper down the murky depths under the pretenses that you're "helping" them.

Simply telling them "it's okay" a single time will not suffice. The only real hope to save these people is actually to smother them in positivity. Show them the reality they're so convinced does not exist, not the one they acknowledged years prior, by becoming enraged by their depression.

I'm mainly addressing the "cowards" you spoke of. I understand, in general, which group of people you're referring to. In my humble opinion, people should be given the freedom of whether or not they're going to end their lives or not without fear of judgment from others. I see no reason as to why that freedom and birthright should be taken away from anyone.
If you feel so strongly about losing people to suicide, you may wish to intervene instead of getting upset. With the exception of those who are considering suicide on an impulse, you may be shocked just how far gone some of these "cowards" can be. Convincing some of them that they're a human being at all may take you the better part of half a year if you work really hard at it.

Jin
Jin
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 00:54:49 Reply

No sympathy for people who commit suicide with a healthy body. I won't even try to stop them.


BBS Signature
billy1273
billy1273
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 01:31:44 Reply

I would say that it's justifiable in certain situations (I'm pretty sure they call that "euthanasia"), although having been around a lot of people who wanted to go through with it I'd probably want to try and stop someone regardless of the circumstance.

From a more unbiased standpoint I suppose this falls under the category of negative rights. It really ought to be -your- decision and not anyone else's. So I suppose the only real factor is whether or not you're considered to be sane enough to make that decision properly (You probably shouldn't make that decision in say, a fit of rage, for example).


BBS Signature
shadowpickle
shadowpickle
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 01:35:35 Reply

i know its not exactly related but have you guys ever been feeling morbid in a way you want to go and see vids of people dting or committing suicide? that's how I'm feeling right now. any recommendations?


live life while you have it.... by newgrounding

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 20:26:48 Reply

You've really never been that down and out have you? You don't know what it's like to feel that hopeless about just everything..

I've had a real close friend tell me she was going to commit suicide. I think she hasn't, so thank God for that. It took some really tough scolding, though. I've seen someone THAT hopeless before.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
JacksRage
JacksRage
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? 2012-03-20 20:27:32 Reply

The edge of a chair.


BBS Signature