DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:14 PM Reply

My stance goes a little something like this:

Committing suicide is a pussy way out. Life is hard. Get over it. Try being me, a guy who has an extremely short attention span, who forgets his friends' names all the time, and who's close to failing Economics because of the fact that it's online, and the fact that the tests' questions have extremely difficult to follow wording. Try being a guy who got screwed out of being in the Air Force and who could be in Berlin hanging with beer maids and working on computer systems. Did I commit suicide yet? NO. Do I want to commit suicide for any reason at all? NO. Why? Because I know there are things I want to accomplish, and I have family members that actually give a damn about me. Life is hard. So what?
You get bullied a lot. Well, if you have ANY guts at all, and everything you've tried doesn't work, beat the living snot out of the bully and get it over with. Simple, right? If the bully doesn't listen, use force! You know what? I used to get bullied ALL THE TIME in high school (until I joined AFJROTC). People made fun of how skinny I was, and picked on me because I'm not exactly "Fashion-saavy". Did I kill myself? NO. Why? I had friends. I had dreams. I had family. Those things were enough to keep alive. I know life is going to be tough. Am I going to commit suicide? NO. Dying is easy. Life is hard. So what? I love a good challenge, and I can't wait to see what life throws at me next. I enjoy a good fight, and I always come out of it, regardless of how many bruises, cuts or scars I may get.
If you commit suicide, you're a coward. You're a coward, and I hope you get what's coming to you. Give life another shot before you decide to hang yourself, OD on pills, or jump off of a bridge. Think of all the people who love and care about you. Life has SO MANY wonderful things. Why stop living now all because you get teased all the time? Life DOES get better! It may not happen immediately, it may not happen tomorrow, maybe not next week, but it WILL get better! Just give it a chance!

Anyways, that's enough ranting. Your stance?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

I understand completely why anyone would want to kill themselves, and I don't blame people who try.
The only guarantee in life is death, so if you can have some say over when it happens, more power to you.

OP, you have absolutely no idea what kind of mental and emotional turmoil suicidal people experience on a daily basis. All the positive vibes and inspirational quotes in the world aren't going to change a thing.

SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

It doesn't look like the cowards way out from where I'm standing. I think no matter how bad things got I wouldn't have the balls to do it.

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

I never think its justified but I can see why some people choose to do so.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Nick2292
Nick2292
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

When it comes to suicide, i get why some people do it. Sometimes the stress of things like school and dealing with people can be to much. Sometimes if you have depression, it can get bad enough that you want to bring that gun to your head and pull the trigger. I know what those feelings are like. Trust me I do. If you stop and really think about it though, it's not worth ending your own life over something that someone else did to that makes you feel like you want it all to end... It's really not.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:26 PM Reply

If you only knew, OP.

Try losing everything, and I mean everything, and then tell me how life gets better. Find out you have only months to live, lose your entire family in a bombing, and learn your country will be in the shitter for the next 2 decades. Get rejected time and time again even though you're an attractive, nice guy and you just can't figure out why. Suffer from a debilitating condition, lose one or more of your senses.

No, I understand why some would want to take their own lives, and telling someone to simply "get over it" is extremely inconsiderate.

Congratulations, you have the will to go on. Most don't.

monkeyspanthisgooplz
monkeyspanthisgooplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:27 PM Reply

My stance on it is the Horse stance.

Zeppelyn
Zeppelyn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:29 PM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, yurgenburgen wrote: .....

I agree completely.

My Art.
(Most of it's old shit)

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer

OP, you have absolutely no idea what kind of mental and emotional turmoil suicidal people experience on a daily basis. All the positive vibes and inspirational quotes in the world aren't going to change a thing.

If they're going through that much mental turmoil, they should seek help. Life has plenty of wonderful things. People owe it to themselves to see that.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician

I tend to look at individual cases, instead of judging one act that can have so many reasons and motives.

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
Nick2292
Nick2292
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 33 seconds ago, HiryuGouki wrote:
If they're going through that much mental turmoil, they should seek help. Life has plenty of wonderful things. People owe it to themselves to see that.

Some people don't want the help, some people can't afford the help. Life may have a bunch of pretty shit to it, but for some people all the nice things in the world can't change how they feel.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:34 PM Reply

At 39 seconds ago, HiryuGouki wrote: If they're going through that much mental turmoil, they should seek help.

They do.

Life has plenty of wonderful things. People owe it to themselves to see that.

Suicidal depression causes people to be unable to see the good in anything. In the eyes of the depressed person, all these "wonderful things" you're talking about are just elements of this illusory, false happiness we're all apparently supporting.

Try and imagine what it's like to be completely unable to glean any joy from anything you experience.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Try losing everything, and I mean everything, and then tell me how life gets better. Find out you have only months to live, lose your entire family in a bombing, and learn your country will be in the shitter for the next 2 decades. Get rejected time and time again even though you're an attractive, nice guy and you just can't figure out why. Suffer from a debilitating condition, lose one or more of your senses.

No, I understand why some would want to take their own lives, and telling someone to simply "get over it" is extremely inconsiderate.

Congratulations, you have the will to go on. Most don't.

Why IS that? I don't understand what has happened to us as humans. It's like we're ALL cowards nowadays. The circumstances you are describing have happened maybe once or twice in our history as a country. Remember the Great Depression? I think we all do from out history classes. Even IN times like those, you shoule have the will to go on. And the only a few months to live, scenario, well, that's...Unpreventable I guess.

Having a debilitating mental condition? Get help, fast! Lose one of your senses? Adapt! There are plenty of blind people who go through life without a care in the world. There are a lot of deaf people who use sign language to communicate. People have to adapt to their surroundings. Why do you think we have become the planet's dominant species? We adapted to whatever befell us.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:40 PM Reply

I tend to look at individual cases, instead of judging one act that can have so many reasons and motives.

I am looking at circumstances as well. If something happens to you (like getting caught having gay sex on camera) that's NOT a big deal, don't do it. Humans, as a whole, tend to rise back up from the ashes of despair, so to speak. I don't have any comment on people who are mentally or physically unable to overcome hardships of any kind. But, I feel if you're capable of overcoming something, then do it.

BBS Signature
Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:40 PM Reply

No offense OP, but you are so ignorantly dismissive, it's appalling. I'm not even going to attempt to explain to you how there are other people on Earth who aren't you.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:44 PM Reply

No offense OP, but you are so ignorantly dismissive, it's appalling. I'm not even going to attempt to explain to you how there are other people on Earth who aren't you.

As much as I realize that life can be pretty bad, I am not being dismissive of those who have some serious mental conditions. Notice in my rant, I never listed those who are mentally ill or anyone with only a few months to live, et cetera. I am mainly aiming towards those who are being bullied, and those who have no good reason to commit suicide. That's what I am mostly targeting if you would ACTUALLY READ the whole post in the first place.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote: Notice in my rant, I never listed those who are mentally ill

Depression is a mental illness in itself.

So yes, you are talking about people who are mentally ill. Well done.

Nick2292
Nick2292
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 12 minutes ago, daethdrain wrote: I'm terrified of dying, it's starting to be all I think about. I wanted to kill myself when ever I was sad, now I just think about whether I'm sad or not. I don't think I'd be able to kill myself. I don't really know if I actually want to live though.

I think me and you have the same thought process because this is Exactly how I have felt for the last like year or so.

ColbatWarrior552
ColbatWarrior552
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 03:51 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote:
As much as I realize that life can be pretty bad, I am not being dismissive of those who have some serious mental conditions. Notice in my rant, I never listed those who are mentally ill or anyone with only a few months to live, et cetera. I am mainly aiming towards those who are being bullied, and those who have no good reason to commit suicide. That's what I am mostly targeting if you would ACTUALLY READ the whole post in the first place.

In defense of silver yo never really made it clear who you were or werent aiming at. you gotta make it definite at like the beginning of the sentence, were not gonna understand if you dont make it crystal clear who your aiming at

*Hands Kevlar vest* You'll need this

explodingbunnies
explodingbunnies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:01 PM Reply

Suicide is a cowardly thing. It shows that you're not strong enough, not brave enough, just generally too weak (mentally, physically, emotionally) to rough it out through your life until your actual, eventual death. The only time that suicide wasn't a cowardly thing, was during 9/11, the people trapped on the highest floors before the building collapsed. One fall to their death, rather than severe burning and being crushed, slowly and painfully. Committing suicide from bullying, or an upsetting event, however, is cowardly and weak.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.
PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:05 PM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, Nick2292 wrote:
At 12 minutes ago, daethdrain wrote: I'm terrified of dying, it's starting to be all I think about. I wanted to kill myself when ever I was sad, now I just think about whether I'm sad or not. I don't think I'd be able to kill myself. I don't really know if I actually want to live though.
I think me and you have the same thought process because this is Exactly how I have felt for the last like year or so.

It'll pass. I used to have it on my mind all the time, to the point where I was having panic attacks and couldn't eat.
The key for me was just accepting theirs nothing I can do about it so I might as well enjoy the time I get spinning round on this ball of dust.

saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:08 PM Reply

I agree with you 100%

John12346
John12346
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:10 PM Reply

My stance:

Pretend life is an arcade game.

Now pretend you're on your last quarter.

Ryan
Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

Well, at least those who've decided to off themselves will be quiet from that point on. You on the other hand I'll have to hear bitching and moaning for lord knows how long.

Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, HiryuGouki wrote:

Much to your disbelief, I did read the post "in the first place", and it was astonishingly narrow-minded insofar as you compare a stranger's quality of life to your own struggles and accomplishments. Not only did you fail to clarify which "suicidal people" you were targeting, but you clearly have no experience in psychology - I doubt you have given suicide, depression, and emotional fatigue into a mature, serious consideration. It is fine to have a differing opinion about what should justify suicide to you, personally. But, to call those who commit suicide "pussies" is not only arrogant, but childishly stupid.

Evolutionarily speaking (and in any other sense), suicide is extremely detrimental. The human brain must go through a considerable amount of psychological turmoil before it is able to knowingly cause damage to vital systems. Self-destruction literally becomes a more viable option than continuing what the mind is lead to assume is a more painful death. Each life has endured different scenarios and is presented with different trials that it may, or may not be able to endure.

Those who commit suicide, whether from serious or "trivial" issues, evidently could not handle their personal situation.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Blazejsg
Blazejsg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Going suicidal is a bad idea.
Even if you have nothing left to live for, I mean the world is bigger than that.
You could always just explore the world and find ways to survive without money, or rules.
Maybe someday someone will take you.

The people that commit suicide are weak, they think they can't do anything and they don't try.
The world is mest up, but i'm sure someone would help you back on your feet.

I would proudly let someone settle in for a couple of days, and also give them some errands to earn money to get back on their feet.

BBS Signature
Lovescratch
Lovescratch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

Suicide is the pussy way out.

I can definitely understand why someone would want to kill themselves but that doesn't make it right, nor does it have a label of honour or prise. It infuriates me to see the, "Killing yourself doesn't show weakness, it just shows you've been strong for too long", it's kind of self-contradictory in terms of killing themselves is the variable and since being strong didn't result in that, it would mean they had to cease being strong, and therefore weak, to kill themselves.

If I had a friend who considered killing themselves, I'd definitely, or at least initially, show them tough love. Otherwise, I would refer them to professional help because sometimes it can be out of a complete lack-of-clarity mind. I'd never praise someone for killing themselves, I would pity them in the sense that they gave up.

PIED3
PIED3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 04:37 PM Reply

What is cowardice OP? Is it being unable to do something because you are too afraid?
Because i don't think that is many peoples reasons for killing themselves. They aren't too afraid to carry on living, they just think it's a very bad idea with no justification. When you decide to eat a healthy snack instead of your own poo it's not because you are scared of eating poo, it's because eating poo is a horrible experience that you don't want to endure. Likewise when people commit suicide it's rarely through fear, and normally through a careful and serious comparison of choices.

However, after saying that, i must clarify that i don't think striving for death can ever make sense. There is nothing to be gained by being dead. Dead people aren't happy, or fulfilled, or relieved etc. The normal reason for suicide is to end suffering, but the cessation of suffering is something only worth achieving if you're around to experience it. It makes no sense to think you can gain something by not existing. Decisions about the future are made by comparing two states: "If i buy the dog i'll have a companion to play with, if i don't buy the dog i'll keep my money but feel more lonely" and then deciding which state is more preferable. But this technique doesn't work for suicide "If i carry on living i'll be suffering, if i die i'll be..." what? When you're dead you aren't in a mental state. Non-existence and existence can't be compared in terms of well being.

YET i still think suicide can be justified. For example if you were striving to gain a few moments of pleasure (falling from a tall building in total freedom, lying a cold bath with your life seeping form your wrists etc.) in exchange for many moments of suffering (being beaten by your husband, struggling to garner some meaning to your soulless existence) then your decision can be valid. The important distinction is you're goal isn't to be dead, but to have some living moments of happiness (that happen to irrevocably lead to death).

BBS Signature
tolerateu
tolerateu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Heh, how covenient, I was just about to peruse the forums to find a similar topic, and this just happens to be at the top of the page.
I like how no one has commented about suicide leading to hell, because the only justification for saying that is a very popular story book...
I can see how the OP finds suicide to be the cowards choice, because it's alot quicker to get through a couple seconds of pain than through 30 years of pain.
But, how about getting on a screwed up start, and life keeps getting shittier? How about being the youngest in a "special" family to come out "normal?" growing up with no normal people around you, and everyone in your family is focused on how to not offend the "special" that you are left to fend for yourself. Now take those 16 years of your life that has had little attention compared with those kids, and have a bunch of responsibilities, such as get Straight A's and get a job. Unfortunately the Guidance Counselor is a stiff ass and is piling classes on you based solely because they are "required" and no enjoyment can be taken from any class because the funding is low and the kids are too scared to talk to each other.
The economy is so bad, jobs are hard to get, so hard that any application has a year pending on whether or not you will be accepted.
Go another year, some drunk guy goes around a corner and breaks both of your legs and you are permanently stuck to a wheelchair.
Now, your parents can't continue funding your healing process because their money needs to go towards those precious "special..."
--Does suicide become a viable option then?

Did you hear about the 3 guys that stole a truck of viagra? All I know is that police are looking for hardened criminals.

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Your Stance on Suicide? Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 05:04 PM Reply

People taking the most valuable thing for granted and you want me to pity them? Ha. I mean you can do whatever you want, but killing yourself is pathetic.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature