00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection

4,948 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

stealin' most'a toas' post'a again'a!

On the first Friday of every month, the Art Forum has a special event called "FLOOD THE PORTAL FRIDAY", yup!

What's Flood the Portal Friday, you ask?
The idea is to 'swamp' the art portal with the same thumbnail, with pics based on the same theme, right at the same time. This is not a competition, it's just a bit of dumb fun.

If you're still unclear about what it's about, check out the previous months (links at the bottom).

This is the Art Forum, so there must be Guidelines, right?
- Right! Make sure the thumbnail of your pic is EXACTLY the one shown below. Don't make it blue, don't flip it, don't change the text, don't do anything! That's meant to be the icon that will Flood the Portal! You can change or remove it later on... just keep in mind that it will ruin the tag search if you do :P
- You can either work the thumbnail into the pic, or just dump it in the corner, whatever you want.
- Try not to upload it early (or it may be removed). It's gotta be a FLOOD of pics on that FRIDAY! If you can't make it at the precise submission time, you can always add it later.
- Another perk of participation is the guaranteed views, and hopefully reviews! The more we help each other out by giving constructive feedback, the better. So try to leave a comment on at least one other flood piece... or if you're up for the challenge, review them all! Hopefully others will do the same! (HUGE thanks to those of you who do this!!!)
- If you are unscouted, this is a good opportunity to get some exposure and feedback/tips. Just submit a link to your finished piece here. Who knows, you might just get a scout invite out of the deal!
- Also... WIPs are welcome and encouraged!!

What's the Theme already?!
The theme for the 13th flood should probably have something to do with luck, but it doesn't.
Nope, the theme is REFLECTION!!
It can be as literal or loosely interpreted as you want, so long as you include the thumbnail posted below and tag your submissions with "ftpf13" so we can search for them in the future.

The 13th flood will happen on FRIDAY, APRIL 6TH AT 6PM NEWGROUNDS TIME.

Have fun!!

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 16:02:40

How could you miss the chance to make this a friday the 13th flood!??!!?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 17:01:21

At 55 minutes ago, MasterMerol wrote: How could you miss the chance to make this a friday the 13th flood!??!!?

LOL!! Well, that's not the first Friday of the month. BUT... if enough people want to change it, just this once, so it falls on the 13th, seeing as it IS the 13th Flood and all... I'd be ok with that. We could change the theme to 'superstition' or something.

Opinions?

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 18:00:18

At 56 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: LOL!! Well, that's not the first Friday of the month. BUT... if enough people want to change it, just this once, so it falls on the 13th, seeing as it IS the 13th Flood and all... I'd be ok with that. We could change the theme to 'superstition' or something.

Opinions?

Superstition or bad luck would be nice.
I say yes, and hopefully I won't be the only one :/

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 18:13:38

At 1 hour ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 55 minutes ago, MasterMerol wrote: How could you miss the chance to make this a friday the 13th flood!??!!?
LOL!! Well, that's not the first Friday of the month. BUT... if enough people want to change it, just this once, so it falls on the 13th, seeing as it IS the 13th Flood and all... I'd be ok with that. We could change the theme to 'superstition' or something.

Opinions?

I'm gonna be the old grumbling geezer and say nay, relfection is fine and superstition is silly.

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 18:30:07

I'm okay with or without changing it... not too thrilled about "superstition or bad luck" though, they both aren't visible, which tends to be less inspirational for me. Reflection is visible but still leaves lots of room for interpretation, it could even be interpreted as an invisible concept if one wants to.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 18:35:17

K... we'll stick with what we have... you're welcome to incorporate something Friday the 13th-ish into yours, Merol! lol :D

I don't feel like making a new thumbnail anyway, doh! sorry!

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 19:18:21

I think i might just bother doing something for this one....

also to save people like 15 seconds of math, those living in places that do not use EST time (GMT -05:00) i have worked out the math.

- GMT+13:00 ??:??AM Saturday 7th of April (Tonga, the 4th dimension, Mars, WHY IS THERE A 13?!)
- GMT+12:00 11:00AM Saturday 7th of April (eastern Russia,Fiji, New Zeland ) A.K.A. Aigis time
- GMT+11:00 10:00AM Saturday 7th of April (New Caledonia, Solomon islands, Vanuatu, Eastern Russia)
- GMT+10:30 09:30AM Saturday 7th of April (Lord Howe island)
- GMT+10:00 09:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Federated States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana isle, East Australia, Papua New Guinea, Eastern inland Russia)
- GMT+09:30 08:30AM Saturday 7th of April (Central Australia)
- GMT+09:00 08:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Japan, Korea, East Indonesia, inland eastern Russia)
- GMT+08:00 07:00AM Saturday 7th of April (West Australia, Central Indonesia, China, philopenes, Malaysia, Inland Russia, Mongolia, Hong-Kong)
- GMT+07:00 06:00AM Saturday 7th of April (West Indonesia,Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia)
- GMT+06:30 05:30AM Saturday 7th of April (Burma, Cocos (keeling) isle)
- GMT+06:00 05:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Omsk russia, East Kazakhstan, Bangladesh, Bhutan)
- GMT+05:45 04:45AM Saturday 7th of April (Nepal)
- GMT+05:30 04:30AM Saturday 7th of April (India, Sri lanka)
- GMT+05:00 04:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Inland Russia, west Kazakhstan, eastern middle east)
- GMT+04:30 03:30AM Saturday 7th of April (Afghanistan)
- GMT+04:00 03:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Small parts of inland Russia and middle east)
- GMT+03:30 02:30AM Saturday 7th of April (Iran)
- GMT+03:00 02:00AM Saturday 7th of April (West Russia, East Africa, Central Middle east)
- GMT+02:00 01:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Eastern europe, Western Middle east, East-Central Africa)
- GMT+01:00 12:00AM Saturday 7th of April (Western and Central Europe and West Central Africa)
- GMT -00:00 11:00PM Friday 6th of April (UK, Ireland, Portugal, Iceland, Western Africa, small part of greenland)
- GMT -01:00 10:00PM Friday 6th of April (Cape Verde, Azorez, Small part of greenland)
- GMT -02:00 09:00PM Friday 6th of April (South Georga and the South sandwich islands)
- GMT -03:00 08:00PM Friday 6th of April (Eastern Brazil, Argentina, Greenland)
- GMT -03:30 07:30PM Friday 6th of April (THE ISLAND OF NEWFOUNDLAND. no joke)
- GMT -04:00 07:00PM Friday 6th of April (Falklands islands, Eastern Canada, Central South America)
- GMT -05:00 06:00PM Friday 6th of April (Eastern Standard Time, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Colombia)
- GMT -06:00 05:00PM Friday 6th of April (Costarica to Cental mexico, Cental USA, Central Canada)
- GMT -07:00 04:00PM Friday 6th of April (Western Central USA, Western Mexico, Central Canada,)
- GMT -08:00 03:00PM Friday 6th of April (PST, Western US, Western Canada, western part of Mexico)
- GMT -09:00 02:00PM Friday 6th of April (Alaska, Pitcairn Islands)
- GMT -09:30 01:30PM Friday 6th of April (iles Marquises)
- GMT -10:00 01:00PM Friday 6th of April (French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Hawaiian Islands)
- GMT -11:00 12:00AM Friday 6th of April (N/A)
- GMT -12:00 11:00AM Friday 6th of April (Rawaki Pheonix Islands, Line Islands)

ALSO NOTE THAT ON THE 25TH OF MARCH IT WILL BE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, WITCH MEANS ALL CLOCKS WILL GO FORWARD ONE HOUR.

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 19:30:11

At 9 minutes ago, M-Maher wrote: also to save people like 15 seconds of math,

Yeah but you replaced that with 15 seconds looking through you post to find my respective timezone and fuck that.

I'm in. I'll do some surrealist piece. Or maybe a not-surrealist piece. Who can know for sure???

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 19:45:32

Worst friday flood ever :(

also didnt we have a newgrounds clock at the bottom of the forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 19:47:52

At 29 minutes ago, M-Maher wrote: ALSO NOTE THAT ON THE 25TH OF MARCH IT WILL BE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, WITCH MEANS ALL CLOCKS WILL GO FORWARD ONE HOUR.

Except for the half of the world that already did it last weekend.

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 19:48:44

At 24 minutes ago, M-Maher wrote: also to save people like 15 seconds of math, those living in places that do not use EST time (GMT -05:00) i have worked out the math.

Thanks, I guess? You probably don't have to worry about it for next time, as most people have already figured out their personal calculations from NG time to their respective time, so don't bother doing it in the future.

ALSO NOTE THAT ON THE 25TH OF MARCH IT WILL BE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, WITCH MEANS ALL CLOCKS WILL GO FORWARD ONE HOUR.

Depending on what country you live in. Some countries have already gone through Daylight Savings Time.

Also, I'll try to participate this month!

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-18 22:21:27

At 3 hours ago, M-Maher wrote: I think i might just bother doing something for this one....

also to save people like 15 seconds of math, those living in places that do not use EST time (GMT -05:00) i have worked out the math.

Holy crap! How long did it take you to do that?!

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-19 12:51:11

Hell. I might as well try too.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-22 20:52:05

WIP for the sake of WIP

... and for a little bump

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-26 12:28:47

At 3/22/12 08:52 PM, Luwano wrote:
... and for a little bump
You calling me fat?! :'(

Looking good, Luw!! :D

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-26 13:55:57

Hey. I'm working on something.
Just letting you know

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-26 17:13:14

I'm working on something as well... for those of you who don't frequent my art thread...

Don't blame you

is a WIP... everything still needs doing... so il let you know when I'm nearly done... for Comments and crit...

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 00:38:48

At 3/26/12 01:55 PM, test-object wrote: Hey. I'm working on something.
Just letting you know

YAY!!! I can always count on you, test!! :D

At 3/26/12 05:13 PM, LegolaSS wrote: is a WIP... everything still needs doing... so il let you know when I'm nearly done... for Comments and crit...

WOW!! That looks amazing! Specially the hair! So did the hair on your emoticon collab piece! You're a hair master!! Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 01:12:07

At 3/26/12 05:13 PM, LegolaSS wrote: is a WIP... everything still needs doing... so il let you know when I'm nearly done... for Comments and crit...

Okay, what the hell, dude. Increase your DPI or something because each and every single you upload is hella pixelated and just plain looks low-resolution. Does nothing but help you shoot yourself in the foot with your art, you dig?

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 04:51:00

At 3/27/12 12:38 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: WOW!! That looks amazing! Specially the hair! So did the hair on your emoticon collab piece! You're a hair master!! Can't wait to see it finished!!!

I like doing hair... its a relaxing process where i can work over and over it without worrying too much about keeping shape and definition... I like flowing hair more... because there's more of it :D

At 3/27/12 01:12 AM, Lintire wrote: Okay, what the hell, dude. Increase your DPI or something because each and every single you upload is hella pixelated and just plain looks low-resolution. Does nothing but help you shoot yourself in the foot with your art, you dig?

How do i increase the DPI?... is it at the start when i start a new piece to choose the dimensions of the artwork... I'm new to Photoshop... and i just bash in 1500 x 1500 as a standard size... should i increase that?... or do i need to increase something else... thanks :3

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 05:06:50

At 3/27/12 04:51 AM, LegolaSS wrote: How do i increase the DPI?... is it at the start when i start a new piece to choose the dimensions of the artwork... I'm new to Photoshop... and i just bash in 1500 x 1500 as a standard size... should i increase that?... or do i need to increase something else... thanks :3

Methinks the general DPI standard is 300.

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 05:21:33

At 3/27/12 05:06 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Methinks the general DPI standard is 300.

Ah because I'm working on 72 for some reason :(.. can I change it half way though a picture or do i have to start again?

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 05:29:46

At 3/27/12 05:21 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 3/27/12 05:06 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Methinks the general DPI standard is 300.
Ah because I'm working on 72 for some reason :(.. can I change it half way though a picture or do i have to start again?

You can change it halfway through, but it won't make any difference. The canvas will still be 1500x1500, it's just the image size that will shrink to # inches.
If you're doing hi-res stuff, it's better to work to 3000 or 4000 pixels square. Maybe more, if your computer's got the kung-fu.
To be fair, I didn't realise you were working low, and I thought Lintire was taking the piss. I can see if's a bit pixelised on he nose, however.

If you think increasing the size is going to lead to unnecessary work tidying up the anti-aliasing, don't bother adjusting the pic Lego, since your pic is fine as it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 05:31:10

At 3/27/12 05:21 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
Ah because I'm working on 72 for some reason :(.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to change my DPI to 300, anyway. Default is 72, but paper print quality is 300.

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 05:52:18

At 3/27/12 05:29 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: If you think increasing the size is going to lead to unnecessary work tidying up the anti-aliasing, don't bother adjusting the pic Lego, since your pic is fine as it is.

Ok cool... i will keep that in mind when i do other pictures in the future, i will keep this pictures size as it is... cheers all :D

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 06:14:29

At 3/27/12 05:06 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 3/27/12 04:51 AM, LegolaSS wrote: How do i increase the DPI?... is it at the start when i start a new piece to choose the dimensions of the artwork... I'm new to Photoshop... and i just bash in 1500 x 1500 as a standard size... should i increase that?... or do i need to increase something else... thanks :3
Methinks the general DPI standard is 300.

DPI is just dots per inch. It only makes a difference if you enter the width and hight in inches.

Telling someone to do their picture at 300 DPI without telling them what canvas size to use in inches is useless.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-27 06:34:31

At 3/27/12 06:14 AM, Aigis wrote:
DPI is just dots per inch. It only makes a difference if you enter the width and hight in inches.
Telling someone to do their picture at 300 DPI without telling them what canvas size to use in inches is useless.

Yeah, my mistake, that didn't even occur to me! Sorry for misleading you due to lack of information, Leggy!

Now off to make something for the flood to regain my rep around here.

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-29 12:04:40

Reflectiveness of reflecting the reflect

BBS Signature

Response to Flood The Portal Friday! Reflection 2012-03-29 12:12:03

At 3/29/12 12:04 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Reflectiveness of reflecting the reflect

'sgood, but could you sort out the angle of the girl on the right's nose? It doesn't look like it's pointing in the same direction as her face, it's about 45 degrees off.

BBS Signature