00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

switizuwu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Does Flash crash at a certain size?

942 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I was working on a new cartoon in Flash last year, but had to stop for a few months due to computer troubles. I did back the file up to an external hard drive before the crash, and got a new computer and reinstalled Flash on it, but I found that Flash would lock up and crash either when I tried switching scenes or sometimes even when I just opened the file. My main guess is that the file became corrupted somehow, but since I'm going to redo it, I just want to know: Does Flash tend to crash if animations reach a certain file size (It was about 100 MB) or length (Only 3-4 minutes done so far)?

Response to Does Flash crash at a certain size? 2012-03-18 04:28:34

Here's my advice to anyone who is a flash animator: The lower the version, the better. The studio I work at runs completely on CS3. Flash has neater tools as the upgrades go, but those tools are all for actionscrtipting and are otherwise flawed vector updates. Adobe tries to claim flash isn't for animation so with each update they make it worse for animation.

Also, when you're working with any traditional animated file, try to keep the length of your flash around 50 seconds long and then use another program to bring it all together (Final Cut, After effects, ect). This way you will be able to work on individual scenes and flash will never bog down. This is the best way for handling flash.

If you want to keep it all in 1 FLA file, I suggest splitting the flash up still and then copy pasta that shit into 1 file when you finish it!

... Also, save often!

Response to Does Flash crash at a certain size? 2012-03-18 04:30:21

*** sorry... I was trying to say try to keep each FLA file under 50 secs, then move to the next one.

Response to Does Flash crash at a certain size? 2012-03-21 22:10:18

you cant have a flash file of 666 for obvious demonic reasons

ama gon chill

Response to Does Flash crash at a certain size? 2012-03-21 23:01:10

Back in the day Flash used to crash for a lot of times for no reason at all... So most flash animators develop a habit of saving like... all the time. Usually it won't crash if the file is big.. unless if it's REALLY big or you don't have enough memory in your computer to process an action or something.

Response to Does Flash crash at a certain size? 2012-03-23 13:22:29

For my experience, Flash crashes the most when I'm erasing stuff with the Eraser tool, don't know why though.
I'd recommend you to develop the "ctrl+S tic" in order to save your work unconsciously. That tic has saved me lots of rage moments.