00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash game RPG

1,289 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Flash game RPG 2012-03-17 08:36:18

Alright, I have been planning this game for a while but for a full 3d game. Recently I sent my ideas into a few gaming companies and out of the about... 10 different companies, I got good replies back from 2.

After some complications, I decied to just make a flash version and put it up here for fun, and to get peoples response from it. the only problem is... I have no idea how to work flash gaming, or even how to animate well ( i am learning and my first animation will be out in a few months, taking my time).

I was thinking, why not see if anyone on newgrounds was interested? I dont wanna take up an entire 40 pages worth of text so I will make it simple and give details to any who wish to have them. I have decided to use example from other games to make it easier.

What I want to do is make a real time action RPG, with all the fun of heavy customization and equipment choice some other turn based or strategy game have.

What I have in mind is not to complicated, and I believe it falls well into the flash gaming limits.

Anyone ever play star ocean for the SNES? or even star Ocean 2 for psX/psp? I have, and I love that real time battles for those pixalated games. Though they didnt have much variation to attacks like chrono trigger did, or even co op skills like combining healing magic with another characters slash attack... something like that.
It didnt have as good world or character design as some of the final fantasy games released before and shortly after, it was short and to linear.

I basically want to use my character design and story (story is up for discussion though) into a game where you dont have to enter battle like final fantasy but more like zelda, but you still have the fast pace action of star ocean. Also to have weapons actually change when you switch them, like disgaea, and having maybe 6 way movement like the star ocean. Havng the ability to either combo skill with computer team mates, or combining your own skills ot make a new one. Lastly, this is the most important thign and the thing i want done more than anything else in an RPG, when you use skills they level like in most rpgs, but instead of levels you just get a stat increase at the end of a battle like final fantasy 2! I loved that system! I realise people would abuse this though so i though of something. Why not have stat limits until you rank up? like you have to beat certain quests to rank up... kinda like monster hunter i guess lol. and maybe, even have classes with limist on each stat according to thier role!

another thing thats important would be the weapons handling, i want to wield what ever i want without restrictions so like FF2, using a certain weapon can level your skill level for that weapon, and as you raise its level you can get skills for a skill tree branch that can link into other weapon branches when you level them up so i can dual wield two handers (with penalties of some kind of course) or a one hander and a spear... etc.

Anyway thats the gist of it. If you want to know more than comment and i cans end you a message explaining more about the mechanics,, or if you request it i can send you some character designs and story plot ideas. I wont be able to do much but design things, keep an eye on the project, keep things close to my ideas up head, and so forth. I can make sprite for the game and do level designs. I can also do the work for the game mechanics. ANyway if your interested drop a comment, message me i dont care which. If you dont then please give me criticism, good or bad, so i may furthor progress my work. Thank you.

The proud lion holds his head up high and lets out a ferocious roar that shakes the heart of its kingdom, in his proudest moment.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-17 09:12:18

What is your role going to be?

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-18 06:29:49

At 21 hours ago, BlackMist75 wrote: What is your role going to be?

As I said, I cannot do much when it comes to flash animation or gaming. I would have a big role in all this, as a director, character designer, world design, enemy design, weapon design, skill design, story planner, script writer, music director and other jobs.

I can also, depending on how we want this to look, i can either draw or pixel create some characters. I dont know hwo this would go but i would do all I could.

The proud lion holds his head up high and lets out a ferocious roar that shakes the heart of its kingdom, in his proudest moment.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-18 12:07:25

At 5 hours ago, LionHeartedLEOS wrote:
At 21 hours ago, BlackMist75 wrote: What is your role going to be?
As I said, I cannot do much when it comes to flash animation or gaming. I would have a big role in all this, as a director, character designer, world design, enemy design, weapon design, skill design, story planner, script writer, music director and other jobs.

I can also, depending on how we want this to look, i can either draw or pixel create some characters. I dont know hwo this would go but i would do all I could.

Heres whats going to happen. Noone will join because a programmer wants an artist, and an artist wants a programmer. You cant fill one of those roles, so you are secondary and not needed. Learn to animate, then come back to this idea.

Current Projects

Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)

Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-18 13:56:21

At 1 hour ago, cmkinusn wrote:
Heres whats going to happen. Noone will join because a programmer wants an artist, and an artist wants a programmer. You cant fill one of those roles, so you are secondary and not needed. Learn to animate, then come back to this idea.

Or become a programmer :D

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-18 14:35:07

At 2 hours ago, cmkinusn wrote: Heres whats going to happen. ...

You might want to hold fire with speaking your mind sometimes, cmkinusn.
You don't need to say that nobody will join this project if nobody responds to the thread.

For all we know, OPs idea could be pretty damn good, and sparks the interest of both a programmer and an animator.
... Although I can't tell what the idea is, since it sounds like game-play elements copied from his favourite RPG games, and thrown together in a confusing mish-mash.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-18 15:05:00

At 27 minutes ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
You don't need to say that nobody will join this project if nobody responds to the thread.

For all we know, OPs idea could be pretty damn good, and sparks the interest of both a programmer and an animator.
... Although I can't tell what the idea is, since it sounds like game-play elements copied from his favourite RPG games, and thrown together in a confusing mish-mash.

Its very detrimental to a team if one of the core members cant pull their own weight. I dont mean to be harsh, but I know how frustrating working with the ideas people can be, I think that if you have an idea that you believe is worth creating, then you should be willing to learn one of the core elements needed for its creation.

Maybe this is flawed, but arent we all tired of being cheated?

Current Projects

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-20 15:58:06

At 2 days ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Well, for starters i said in my the topic, that to save space i would compare it to games people might have played to mayeb get them interested. The ideas, story i have planned out, the several character designs and hundreds of monster designs i have done and much more are completely my own ideas.

The gameplays would be similar to these games as all game are similar to thier predecessors. I guess it was a bad decision to explain it in that matter but I felt I would confuse and loose people on this. If you all would like i could edit my topic to explain it more thoroughly and not compare it to video games i have played.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-20 16:05:49

At 2 days ago, cmkinusn wrote:
At 27 minutes ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Its very detrimental to a team if one of the core members cant pull their own weight. I dont mean to be harsh, but I know how frustrating working with the ideas people can be, I think that if you have an idea that you believe is worth creating, then you should be willing to learn one of the core elements needed for its creation.

Maybe this is flawed, but arent we all tired of being cheated?

First off, sorry if I came up as wanting to cheat anybody out of thier hard work, I am one of the many that haev been cheated themselves. Personally I dont care if I am credited for this even in the slightest, i just want it to be done for my ideas to reach out to people, and to see if my ideas of what games should be agree with the gamers of Newgrounds.

It was quite rude to say I cant do anything. I can contribute story, write out script, design the world and character and what ever they may fight, the battle system aswell. I can also draw characters myself as stated and try to help any way i can. The thing is I do not know much about flash gaming to be honest so I cant list what i can do, i have been looking animation up for a while and my first animation is almost done, after almost a year of work. So I can draw, i can design, i can plan, and i can try to learn how some of this works and contribute any other way i cant.

After its made i dont mind if anyone who works on it takes the credit aslong as everyone who worked on it is credited.

As i said though, if you guys would like me to edit my topic and explain it in more detail, without comparing it to popular RPG's people have played, and including some ideas i have kept secret , some, I will do that as soona s i get word of it.

I think their are a few people who would be interested. I just need to know what it is i need to do to help. i could also animate cutscenes it he game after the story has been planned out with theother members and other details that are key.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-20 22:30:07

I apologize for how I addressed you and how I approached this topic. I just get antsy when it seems that people are asking for everything to be done. You are right that you designing the characters artistically is definitely contributing as well as the rest you explained. I understood design as in coming up with the characters, and didnt quite get that you were actually going to draw them.

To help with that however, you should be prepared to provide quite a few things for the animator. Let me show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcSW6wUxUE

I show you this because you will notice the character sheet they provided for the animator. It had EVERYTHING. From the expressions, to a detailed color map, and everything inbetween. For working with a coder, be ready to make many, many concessions. The coder knows what is possible and what works, so do give them quite a bit of power in implementing your storyline. Also, be ready to do everything short of actual animation and actual coding. That means making sheets for all of the different actions a character might make for the artist, making a detailed document outlining all of the capabilities the engine might have, etc. If you want to fulfill your half, you must take complete control of the projects design and do every bit you can to assist the artist and coder. I wont lie, they ARE the greatest contributors, but the fact that you can actually draw will help you balance that a bit.

Current Projects

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-29 00:28:11

At 3/20/12 10:30 PM, cmkinusn wrote: I apologize for how I addressed you and how I approached this topic. I just get antsy when it seems that people are asking for everything to be done. You are right that you designing the characters artistically is definitely contributing as well as the rest you explained. I understood design as in coming up with the characters, and didnt quite get that you were actually going to draw them.

To help with that however, you should be prepared to provide quite a few things for the animator. Let me show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcSW6wUxUE

I show you this because you will notice the character sheet they provided for the animator. It had EVERYTHING. From the expressions, to a detailed color map, and everything inbetween. For working with a coder, be ready to make many, many concessions. The coder knows what is possible and what works, so do give them quite a bit of power in implementing your storyline. Also, be ready to do everything short of actual animation and actual coding. That means making sheets for all of the different actions a character might make for the artist, making a detailed document outlining all of the capabilities the engine might have, etc. If you want to fulfill your half, you must take complete control of the projects design and do every bit you can to assist the artist and coder. I wont lie, they ARE the greatest contributors, but the fact that you can actually draw will help you balance that a bit.

Sorry for the very long absence, I recently have been stricken with violent illness and even was hospitalized. Just got out today and I feel much better. Anyway, its fine about the earlier discretion two-rd my contributions, im sorry I didn't make that clear an dI apologize. Thank you for so much helpful info! I can do just about all of that no problem, art is my passion fallowed by gaming. Though it might have to wait because my draw tablet... broke.... but a replacements on the way! I can do more than art and I will try to learn to code atleast enough to help. If I get people into this project I am damn well goign to put my heart into it, you believe me. My Avatar on newgrounds is done in a poor way, I didnt have any good art programs like adobe photoshop or anything so I used the adobe flash i used, drew it with mouse and then screen captured it lol, so as you can see my arts not that bad and thats only mouse art. As soon as I get a new tablet im good to go.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-03-30 04:14:39

Just sell your idea for $50 or so, with something that shows your credentials and why your idea is worth something. Every noob and their dog has a game idea for an rpg the truth is they are long and big projects that not many developers can undertake. How do i know this? because im working on one atm.

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-04-01 15:07:28

I already want to make my own indie game and my only problem [other than not owning adobe flash yet] is that I don't know how to "Speak" action script.. I already can animate pretty well but what use is that if I can't program the game?!

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-04-01 15:16:43

At 4/1/12 03:07 PM, dannypinto wrote: I already want to make my own indie game and my only problem [other than not owning adobe flash yet] is that I don't know how to "Speak" action script.. I already can animate pretty well but what use is that if I can't program the game?!

its easy, just get good at animating and find a programmer who wants to work with you, or learn programming. its honestly not that hard there are tutorials everywhere :)

Response to Flash game RPG 2012-04-02 14:45:38

Fuck all you guys, I will be the programmer for this project!

Sign me up! I want to know more about this.