• 351 Replies
Aksumka
Aksumka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 06:10 PM

that is exactly like newgrounds. The first movie that i saw had the Newgrounds Preloader. They just diden't have the tank logo. Now im mad...

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||
NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature
flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 06:12 PM

At 6/9/04 05:56 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:
At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, Orodreth wrote: All of the sites listed by that retard are blatant rip offs of newgrounds. Script is even obviosly stolen. Isnt this a breach of copyrights?
There is no way to steal a script unless you have access to the server and can get the php files themselves. I made my flash system myself and have also given newgrounds credit at the bottom of my flash "gateway" for the idea. Thanks.

I just noticed how major this thread got and I decided to add a credit link to newgrounds on my portal. I admit to getting ideas and inspiration from the website, but I coded all of the PHP for it.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 06:15 PM

At 6/9/04 06:10 PM, Suicidal-kid wrote: that is exactly like newgrounds. The first movie that i saw had the Newgrounds Preloader. They just diden't have the tank logo. Now im mad...

The NewGrounds.com preloader can be downloaded by anyone and can be put in any flash. Those entries are from submittions from users on the site. So how does that make you mad? :P

lexus3
lexus3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 06:22 PM

it says "inpired by newgrounds"...
but portals aren't ripoffs
becuase at this point they are the most efficient way to have a user interactive content feature
each one is different because it shows the work of that sites community...DUH!!!11

ChaoticStreet
ChaoticStreet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 07:13 PM

Its obvoious that any website that has flash could be considered a rip off of NG. But this copies the rating system and revieww system. Whats the point of making a site if its just like another.

ComfortablyNumb
ComfortablyNumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 08:04 PM

At 6/9/04 04:33 PM, -noir- wrote: anyone who says that this site is another flash portal is a fucking dipstick. Newgrounds.com defined flash portal. You fucking look up Flash portal in the dictionary, it says fucking newgrounds.com.
How dare you people not call that site a ripoff.

Muahahah piswned :D

MethodMinus
MethodMinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 08:24 PM

At 6/9/04 04:33 PM, -noir- wrote: anyone who says that this site is another flash portal is a fucking dipstick. Newgrounds.com defined flash portal. You fucking look up Flash portal in the dictionary, it says fucking newgrounds.com.
How dare you people not call that site a ripoff.

www.dictionary.com
No entry found for flash portal.
Try looking up each word separately:

flash
portal

For better results, try our search tips.

Frank
Frank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 08:26 PM

That site is indeed a ripoff of NG. I read Tom's post on the frontpage and I am agreeing with him 100%

RinkuDohero
RinkuDohero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 09:00 PM

"A man who follows another man's tracks leaves nothing behind", Whats the big deal? whom ever copies NG won't ever have its place on Flash history (^-^) so pretend those lame-ohs don't even exist. Maybe Tom thinks of these sites as merely fan sites, I mean, if NG didn't exist, neither of these sites would ever do, and if they did, they wouldn't be the same.

<deleted>
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 09:13 PM

OMFG I can't believe that Wade Fulp and liljim Fulp replied to my thread AGREEING with me! And I also insired the newgrounds creator himself, Tom Fulp, to make a front page post about it!

Oh and JackOffShadow you really need to STFU before I hunt you down and beat the shit outta you >:(

puffy7627
puffy7627
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 09:38 PM

ok i dont no if anyone has said this before cuz i do have a life and i dont look through 5 pages of replies... anyways i hope u ppl noticed, the bottom it says

Flash Portal inspired by: http://www.newgrounds.com

meaning they meant to copy it cuz they thought ng owns!!(and hes right) but thats not the point

he copied it cuz he thought ng was a very good site, and besides he didnt even copy it!! wow he has a top 5 daily entrys... im sure every site like newgrounds has that!! and also, wtf do u want him to call it? The Ultimate Flash Collection? i mean wtf Flash Portal... iim sure every1 uses that and they dont get shit for it! he didnt even copy the backround or anything, its just a less popular version of newgrounds!!

so for all you people saying hes a rip off and shit, maybe take a look at his site and you'd realize that he's giving credit to newgrounds! also, if u say his site sucks, i say ur a fkn faggot!! i can bet u anything that if this site had as many users as newgrounds and was up for just a little longer im sure this guy can do good, cuz im sure almost none of you can even compare to a site like his.... so before u flame, remember to look around or else you'd look like a fucking lose

my point is made

<deleted>
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 09:39 PM

At 6/9/04 09:38 PM, puffy7627 wrote: ok i dont no if anyone has said this before cuz i do have a life and i dont look through 5 pages of replies... anyways i hope u ppl noticed, the bottom it says

meaning they meant to copy it cuz they thought ng owns!!(and hes right) but thats not the point

He made that AFTER Tom made a front page post about it you fucking n00b fewel >:(

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

At 6/9/04 09:39 PM, Pen0rMuffin wrote: He made that AFTER Tom made a front page post about it you fucking n00b fewel >:(

That's because I found out it was such a big deal, Tom even made a front-page news post about it.

<deleted>
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 11:20 PM

At 6/9/04 11:18 PM, flipsidedcom wrote:
At 6/9/04 09:39 PM, Pen0rMuffin wrote: He made that AFTER Tom made a front page post about it you fucking n00b fewel >:(
That's because I found out it was such a big deal, Tom even made a front-page news post about it.

I know, I was his inspiration fewel :)

DifferentName
DifferentName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

Did anyone even say that having a flash portal is a rip off? Obviously there's nothing wrong with having an automated flash submission system on a website. But they steal a lot more than that in those sites. The entire lay out of the site seems almost identical. I dont know that much about the laws, but copyrights cover more than just the exact script.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

At 6/9/04 11:26 PM, DifferentName wrote: Did anyone even say that having a flash portal is a rip off? Obviously there's nothing wrong with having an automated flash submission system on a website. But they steal a lot more than that in those sites. The entire lay out of the site seems almost identical. I dont know that much about the laws, but copyrights cover more than just the exact script.

Then everyone would be sued. If you link an image, sued. If you go to certain websites, sued. I don't think it's like that.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 9th, 2004 @ 11:59 PM

At 5/12/04 09:45 PM, Pen0rMuffin wrote: Is it just me or is this a blatant rip off of the newgrounds flash portal? It seems like they copied everything word for word

http://www.flipsided.com/portal/

Damn.. that is such an obvious rip-off, that its almost painfull to look at..

HernetheHunter
HernetheHunter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 12:01 AM

Hey now, that site is nothing like NG.

They flipped the colors for excellent and decent.

HotCod32
HotCod32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 12:09 AM

Just a few things, unles code is actaly riped form the NG sight there is nothing wrong with baseing your ideas off those worked out by new grounds...

I mean look at the history of the portal, each and every part of it was added when they came to a problem, the blam and protect points are almost a perfect stystem at keeping the worst content off of the sight, so why is it such an shock to think that other people might skip the proses of lerning everything NG has lernd and use the ideas...

Why do you think every webbased e-mail looks kind of the same? becuse there are the best ways of doing things and if you come to it after some ones already thought it up, whats the point of not useing it?

Now i ammit that that sight is very very like newgrounds, but the point is, it will never be newgrounds, form what i can tell they've added no new invashion to the ideas, where as NG is constaly working to keep improveing its self...

The fact is, that theres comptashion now, and the compashion is always going to use ideas off there reilves, and lern form misakes other people have allreayd made, and from improvment and invashion that other people have made.

NG is still simply the best sight, there is no dout about that, i did't even really know about any other sights that used portals untill this tread... but NG now has copatishion, and thats just a fact of life, you come up with an idea or a new and better way of doing things, and every one eltes will lern off you and do the same...

Can you say if some one comes up with an amazieng idea to make the portal better and makes everything easier (i don't know that that can be but there is always room for improvment nothing is perfect) that NG would't look at the idea and try and implment somthing that is based on that idea?

Now i'm not saying sights that blatenly copy everything are a good thing, but there always going to be there... its the ones that start doing things NG isn't that tom should be woried about..

I'm very suprised this hasn't come up earler, the flash portal was littaly a revlashion in flash, i know lots of sights that sort of do the same thing for artist and photograthers, so for a place to apear like the portal was invatable... what wasn't was the thought and desinge (i can see ways in which many major art sights could lern form the portal) that went in to building it...

The simple fact is, that evlashion, for things in the same invroment trying to "live" off the same thing, will follow the same path with some mutashion, but one best way of doing it will turn up, there may be lots of the same say of doing it but just in diffrent colors but its a simple fact of life, that there is the best way of doing somthing, and that means everything will look the same when the perfect way is found...

NG just got such a jump on every one that theres been no other sights that started around the same time as newgrounds that tired out diffrent ideas, but would have come up with the same way of doing things in the end

RoswellUFO
RoswellUFO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 01:42 AM

At 5/12/04 09:45 PM, Pen0rMuffin wrote: Is it just me or is this a blatant rip off of the newgrounds flash portal? It seems like they copied everything word for word

Oh my god! Those fucking Biters!

Hinotori
Hinotori
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 02:07 AM

I'd just like to say that front page post brightened my day. Ownage to all the self-righteous fucktards who flamed Pen0rMuffin merely for bringing it to attention when it was a valid concern.

Idiots.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 02:10 AM

At 6/10/04 02:07 AM, Hinotori wrote: I'd just like to say that front page post brightened my day. Ownage to all the self-righteous fucktards who flamed Pen0rMuffin merely for bringing it to attention when it was a valid concern.

Idiots.

Thank you Hinotori! I bet all those n00b fewels are kicking themselves in the nuts cuz I, Pen0r Muffin, inspired Tom freaking Fulp to make a front page post about it! I must say it was the highlight of my NG career :)

As for the muffins...I made more of an impact then all of them combined! w00t score one for the Pen0r Posse :)

<deleted>
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 02:14 AM

At 6/9/04 03:19 PM, AgeOfArmageddon wrote: or for that matter, Wolfenstein 3D :P

Actually, Blood came out way before Wolfenstein (about 2-3 years). The way it rendered its 3D skys was fish-lens like.

I agree, i hate these rip off sites. The only thing that keeps me from getting pissed is the fact that these sites usually don't have good flash author or get alot of hits.

If the site uses the code off of NG then the site needs to be taken down, however, if the code is different, then there is no need.

NG will always be the portal, no matter how "big" the other sites get. I'm sorry, but NG is HUGE. I have seen kids with foamy shirts at my school. Please note that my school has less than 500 kids (My class has 89, the graduating class had 64!).

TheCrazyPanda
TheCrazyPanda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 02:22 AM

Looks like we found the first non-bright person who thinks taking the Newgrounds Flash Portal HTML and putting it on his site is just saying "It was just inspired. No one will notice. Even though it looks exactly like the Newgrounds Flash Portal" Well, too bad someone put a thread on the site you were "inspired" by and Tom Fulp got pissed off at you and displayed it on the front page. Make your own original work, don't copy Newgrounds, don't rip the HTML off of the Flash Portal, don't use the same methods as him (ex: blamming, if its good surround it with a different color, and when you put your mouse over the submission it shows the artist's user name in a box AND GIVE HIM A BATTING AVERAGE ) and most of all DON'T CALL IT THE FLASH PORTAL!!!!! By the way read the bottom of his page. It says:

Right, inspired, right. More like "Ripped the HTML off the original Flash Portal and put it on his site and gives Newgrounds no more credit than 'inspired' "

wormy07
wormy07
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 02:34 AM

I can't believe so many of you are saying it ain't a rip off! It's blatent! Hell, you're saying all flash portals are pretty much the same? Bullshit! You don't have to use the exact same layout do you! AND use the same awards?! Have you looked at the rest of the site, as well??? DEPOSITING FS POINTS?!?! Major rip off there, guys! Has anyone looked at the layout of the flash page descriptions? EXACTLY the same! It's got the exact same features as the Newgrounds site! And also, you can tell the flipside guy's afraid of the consequences of this BBS 'cos suddenly 'Flash Portal Inspired By Newgrounds' is at the bottom, lol, wouldn't be surprised if he put that up a few days ago! And mate, the Portal ain't the only thing inspired by Newgrounds on there!

hoagiejones
hoagiejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 03:16 AM

haha that kids site just got so many hits cause of this

Tootbook
Tootbook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 03:57 AM

At 5/12/04 09:47 PM, HAcoreRD wrote: dude, shaddap n leave him alone, I know the Admin and he's a nice guy, he means no harm by it.

Message from HAcoreRD:
My flash series "Warfare" has been sponsored offically by Flipsided.com .....so thats why the admins "such a nice guy"

Bagels

TheCrazyPanda
TheCrazyPanda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 04:11 AM

At 5/12/04 09:47 PM, HAcoreRD wrote: dude, shaddap n leave him alone, I know the Admin and he's a nice guy, he means no harm by it.

hmm... maybe he's saying that becuase on his profile it says his site is flipsided.com.

pythagoras
pythagoras
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 06:08 AM

At 6/9/04 12:08 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 6/9/04 11:22 AM, WTF_Kurdt wrote: Oh and one of the best forms of flattery is imitation.
Along with putting you out of business? I'm not saying these sites are putting us out of business yet, but someday when there are hundreds of sites like Newgrounds what will become of us?

Holy shit Wade, you guys really ARE in business mode now arn't you.

I can understand you being pissed at people stealing things that are unique to the NG portal such as "blams" and all that shit, but you just proved that it's not about that. You don't like the competition!

As I said in Toms front page post, I have alot of respect for NG and the people behind it. But this sort of attitude makes me think you guys want to hold a monopoly on internet flash.

You can't stop competition by simply bitching about it while hoping your users will listen and the sites will just go away. I know that's not jsut what what you're doing, and you're consistantly trying to improve NG. I really do understand that.

I also understand that it must be frustrating that people steal NG ideas as soon as they're released on ng.

Bleh. Here's the fence --> | <-- and here's me sitting on it. :)

Ranger619
Ranger619
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 06:32 AM

Think about it.

NG is the home of the very first Portal.

SO what do you think?