Be a Supporter!

Dweeby's Accountability Thread

  • 2,780 Views
  • 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 12:08:32 Reply

At 9/24/12 01:50 AM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote:
At 9/24/12 12:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/23/12 11:56 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Since you would literally turn to stone if you saw my self-portrait from Day One.....
Is that why we don't see Spags around here anymore?
ZING!
I joke, I joke
Do you have a boner for him or something? You can ask about him on Facebook but this is my art thread bro

LOL!! funny

I wanted to thank you for the eye tutorial, trying it out atm hope it will work out for me as well. I always have difficulty with hair/eyelashes so this was very helpfull to me.


God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 16:17:22 Reply

In all honesty though, you should still post your art here, regardless of how good or how bad you think it is. Every piece can be offered critique which will in turn help you improve your skills.

DweebyHawkeyes
DweebyHawkeyes
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 22:47:32 Reply

At 9/24/12 04:17 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: In all honesty though, you should still post your art here, regardless of how good or how bad you think it is. Every piece can be offered critique which will in turn help you improve your skills.

Okay fine.. But I get all surly 'n' angry when staring at myself too long so self-portraits have always looked like butt. So bonus! I included two pencil drawings of faces that I didn't hate.

Dweeby's Accountability Thread

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 22:53:18 Reply

At 9/24/12 10:47 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Okay fine.. But I get all surly 'n' angry when staring at myself too long so self-portraits have always looked like butt. So bonus! I included two pencil drawings of faces that I didn't hate.

The shading could be a bit cleaner, but it's not too shabby.

DweebyHawkeyes
DweebyHawkeyes
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 23:03:07 Reply

At 9/24/12 10:53 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/24/12 10:47 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Okay fine.. But I get all surly 'n' angry when staring at myself too long so self-portraits have always looked like butt. So bonus! I included two pencil drawings of faces that I didn't hate.
The shading could be a bit cleaner, but it's not too shabby.

But it doesn't look like meee and that's the point ofportraits and I suck at likenesses and what's the point tantrum tantrum whine

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 23:09:10 Reply

At 9/24/12 11:03 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: But it doesn't look like meee and that's the point ofportraits and I suck at likenesses and what's the point tantrum tantrum whine

I dunno, I think the likeness is pretty fair, hair and nose done well.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-25 09:55:12 Reply

So I tried your eye tutorial. I have some questions if u dont mind.

I assumed you made one cyan layer, copied that layer and made it yellow right? cause I dont see any new lines in the second picture of the tut. this is what I did atleast, and I got a similar result (green). I then copied the layer (cyan) again and made it magenta (layer set to darken again). My picture now went grey. not purpulish like yours. did you do something else?

I worked on the colors using Hue, saturation and lightness. I messed around with all 3 on all the seperate layers. It didnt really change things, the end color stayed very blend.

Your eye also has a very defined iris, mine didnt have that at all. I added a touch of yellow.

it was fun to do. I hope you dont mind me posting this pic in your thread, no harm intended, I just would like some extra info in what you did and how I can do that.

thx

Dweeby's Accountability Thread


God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
DweebyHawkeyes
DweebyHawkeyes
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-25 13:17:31 Reply

At 9/25/12 09:55 AM, Tomsan wrote: So I tried your eye tutorial. I have some questions if u dont mind.

I assumed you made one cyan layer, copied that layer and made it yellow right? cause I dont see any new lines in the second picture of the tut. this is what I did atleast, and I got a similar result (green). I then copied the layer (cyan) again and made it magenta (layer set to darken again). My picture now went grey. not purpulish like yours. did you do something else?

I worked on the colors using Hue, saturation and lightness. I messed around with all 3 on all the seperate layers. It didnt really change things, the end color stayed very blend.

Your eye also has a very defined iris, mine didnt have that at all. I added a touch of yellow.

it was fun to do. I hope you dont mind me posting this pic in your thread, no harm intended, I just would like some extra info in what you did and how I can do that.

thx

No it's fine! Critiquing is still practice for me I don't mind at all. First off, the tutorial I made was describing a coloring technique and assumed the viewer already understood eye anatomy. While I will get to the coloring, there are some things you should know about eyes before we start.

First, eyes are basically jelly-balls encased in square-edged skin flaps. While your drawing clearly shows you've noticed details of how to portray this through looking at other works, it seems you've never been outright told that. For instance, because of where you've chosen to place the catch-lights (the highlights in the pupil and waterline) the shading of the ball and the skin surrounding should follow the logic of where you've placed your light source. If you aren't using a reference, you really need to understand light and where yours is coming from to make it work. For now I suggest doing what I did: take lots of crappy photos of yourself or other victims doing whatever it is you need with whatever light source you need. Now for eyelashes: they are placed on the outside edge of the waterline. You placed them on the inside edge on the upper eyelid, which I'm pretty sure is a very real and painful medical condition that we do not wish to plague your future eye images with. In real people, eyelashes tend to be pretty wonky. Many different lengths, unevenly spaced, shooting off in different directions, tapering off at the tips (they don't actually taper, it's a pigmentation thing), and more on top than bottom by a long shot. If you are drawing a person wearing an Ardell's fringe than go to town making the straightest blockiest chunkiest lidhairs you please. Oh, and look at tear ducts for a while before your next attempt.

Okay! Now for coloring. To answer your first question, no, I didn't just copy each layer although that idea has now become an exciting future experiment for me. The idea is color mixing. Think about the color wheel for a mite. Let's say you are outside painting a tree but you're only got red, yellow, and blue watercolor paints to work with. First off, you want to do a wash for the green foliage. You need to see the color you want and deconstruct it. Well, remember that green is yellow and blue, but this tree is definitely more of a yellow. So you put down a strong wash of yellow and a weak wash of blue over. This tree is threatening to strip naked for autumn though, so you put a very weak wash of red to dull it down. Since red is the complementary of green, it will take the color into muddier territory. Skin is the same way. Since blue will be the opposite of the yellow/orange/red undertone most people have, you need to lay it down where you plan for shadow to fall, and since this is an eye, the black hole known as the pupil. Because we're bein' digital, those three change to CMYK format. That is why I start with a cyan wash when painting skin. Then yellow, a color most of us have in huge quantities. I was shy in adding yellow at first which is why my image was leaning purple. In contrast, yours became greymudland because you were simply copying and changing the hue from layer to layer rather than discerning the amount of base color each target color had and adding accordingly, so you had relatively similar amounts of each.

I will stop myself here on the off chance your eyes aren't bleeding yet.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-25 16:57:04 Reply

At 9/25/12 01:17 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote:
lots of stuff

wow, nice, much appreciated.

I figured (later on) that you didnt copy the layers but drawn over the first and then over the 1st and 2nd. it shows. I have to say that I didnt really invest a lot of time in the eye and the lashes since my main concern was to become familiar with the coloring technique. I definitely recognized the awkward starting position of the lashes.

Also I do not use a drawing pad, so I make the lashes with the line tool this can be a hassle sometimes and its difficult to let the lashes go from thick to thin that way.

I was wondering what opacity and flow setting you used? I changed mine quite a bit at different areas of the picture, but I think opacity never exceeded 33% and flow 45%

I could really use the comment at the highlights. in this case I just copied yours, but I find it difficult to get the shadings and highlight right. Its a very difficult thing to do imo. I use references a lot, but I try not to copy to much and then the reference cannot be used anymore for correct highlights and shadings.

your story made a lot of sense so thanks again. Ill make another eye soon enough


God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature