00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng

8,719 Views | 58 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 05:16:28

This is exactly why I'm quite cautious about posting my more quality tracks here. I'll post little tracks here and there, and some stuff I don't intend to release, but my more quality shit, unless it has my vocals over it, I won't even upload, because I don't want it stolen.

I have no issue with people pirating music to be honest, you can't stop that, but pirating music and PASSING IT OFF AS YOUR OWN? THAT is sad, sad, sad. I hope this guy gets sued big time and has to pay you guys.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 05:25:17

I see that with all the opyright-infringement forms, the material is still available in iTunes. It seems that Apple doesn't give a s#1t about what they sell.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 05:27:05

At 7 minutes ago, WallofYawn wrote: I have no issue with people pirating music to be honest, you can't stop that, but pirating music and PASSING IT OFF AS YOUR OWN?

Just curious as to why you think people will only try stealing stuff from NG... ?

I've seen people try pass off famous bands music as their own, it happens everywhere, it doesn't matter where you upload your music, it runs the same risk of being stolen anywhere on the internet. Hell, if you were to never upload your music online but sold a few hard copy albums... you'd still run a risk of someone claiming it as their own on the internet.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 05:29:28

At 2 minutes ago, sorohanro wrote: I see that with all the opyright-infringement forms, the material is still available in iTunes. It seems that Apple doesn't give a s#1t about what they sell.

They still get a cut of the sales, stolen or not... so I don't see them being in a rush to remove something unless that something is from an artist that can afford reputable lawyers.

I'm sure they'll do something about it sooner or later... but they're a business, they'll probably let it sit as long as they can before they take it down to guarantee they make something off it first.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 06:46:56

At 1 hour ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, WallofYawn wrote: I have no issue with people pirating music to be honest, you can't stop that, but pirating music and PASSING IT OFF AS YOUR OWN?
Just curious as to why you think people will only try stealing stuff from NG... ?

I never said that. Point out where I said that. Nowhere, that's where. I said I have no issue with people pirating, so long as they don't pass it off as their own. I never said this was an occurance unique to newgrounds. It is very obvious I was talking generally. I don't post my music on youtube either unless it is A)not something I'm going to commercially release or B)has my vocals in it.(seeing as my voice is my voice, it's very hard for someone to claim that's them, no?)

I've seen people try pass off famous bands music as their own, it happens everywhere, it doesn't matter where you upload your music, it runs the same risk of being stolen anywhere on the internet. Hell, if you were to never upload your music online but sold a few hard copy albums... you'd still run a risk of someone claiming it as their own on the internet.

Oh, I'm aware of that. The difference in that is that A)because it is copywrite material you can sue B)because it is commercial, most people would know that it's not that person's music.

I mean, if people posted Lil Wayne's music or say, the Beatles, saying shit like, "check out this new track I made. My name is "insert generic name" here) Somebody would definitely know. I am not going to say it doesn't happen though. I guess people do it because they like the attention or want to be special. I don't think they really think it through all that much, though.

It's not difficult to find SOMETHING creative you're good at, that people will enjoy, so WHY steal and pass it off as your own? That's why I was saying, I understand pirating, or sampling even(I've sampled Thelonious Monk, and other jazz/funk bands), so you can listen to the shit, or remix it into something unique and cool, put your own spin on it, but taking the complete original and passing it off as your own I don't get.

People like that deserve to be sat on by a fat person.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 06:55:57

Like for example, shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0p66pYJ5ZU

I'm cool with. That's a remix, and even better then the original.(which I don't like because it's lil wayne, but flying lotus is the shit)

However, if someone claimed this as their own, or took an original song, and claimed it as their own, or even remixed and didn't mention or give credit to the artist, that person deserves to be sat on by a 600 pound Samoan.

The remix clearly states "lil wayne - i feel like dying(flying lotus remix)" in the title.

However, if it were titled "I feel like dying - flying lotus" that's stealing, that's passing shit off as your own, and that is gay.

Get my point? I'm all for sampling and even d/ling music to listen to if you're broke like I am, but passing shit off as your own, whether on NG or anywhere else, is the pure definition of a douchebag. In fact, this should be added to the definition of douchebag, if douchebag were ever in the dictionary.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 07:15:47

At 12 minutes ago, WallofYawn wrote: but passing shit off as your own, whether on NG or anywhere else, is the pure definition of a douchebag.

You misunderstand my point. What I'm saying, as I've said many times before, is that if you're scared to upload your music anywhere, you can forget about ever getting exposure or going anywhere as a musician.

Every person on this site runs the risk of having their stuff stolen, and they all (Ok... well most of them) know this. It's something you have to put up with if you want to get anywhere.

If your stuff is good, it's almost inevitable that someone is gonna try claim it as their own at least once... I've had it happen, as have many other audio regs. But if we take the, "They can't steal it if I don't upload it" view on things, we won't move forward as artists.

Simply put, without risk, there will be no reward. This is cold hard fact, and unfortunately, in music, the risk is exponentially greater than something you can easily "watermark" such as movies or art.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 09:54:08

Filled out the form myself and included some pretty detailed fucking maps on how stolen the music is. You'd have to be a dipshit to miss it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-16 12:35:52

At 5 hours ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 12 minutes ago, WallofYawn wrote: but passing shit off as your own, whether on NG or anywhere else, is the pure definition of a douchebag.
You misunderstand my point. What I'm saying, as I've said many times before, is that if you're scared to upload your music anywhere, you can forget about ever getting exposure or going anywhere as a musician.

Every person on this site runs the risk of having their stuff stolen, and they all (Ok... well most of them) know this. It's something you have to put up with if you want to get anywhere.

If your stuff is good, it's almost inevitable that someone is gonna try claim it as their own at least once... I've had it happen, as have many other audio regs. But if we take the, "They can't steal it if I don't upload it" view on things, we won't move forward as artists.

Simply put, without risk, there will be no reward. This is cold hard fact, and unfortunately, in music, the risk is exponentially greater than something you can easily "watermark" such as movies or art.

Oh I know that. It's only recently that I've gotten very attached to my work. Maybe I shouldn't be. Some of my more serious work, I wanted to save for...I dunno, sending to record companies. I see your point tho. I'll start uploading more, I know it's inevitable. I just want to make sure that I become famous is all. I don't care who rips me off, so long as I'm the famous/rich guy in the end.

So duly noted, I guess. Besides, this is a creative commons licensing, which means that technically I can still sue, yes? So I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 11:44:21

just an fyi the music is being deleted everywhere. He told me that he was going to delete it all.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 12:06:26

At 20 minutes ago, xydawgxy wrote:

just an fyi the music is being deleted everywhere. He told me that he was going to delete it all.

Hello Dj Ogilvy

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 14:22:19

At 2 hours ago, Acid-Paradox wrote:
At 20 minutes ago, xydawgxy wrote:

Hello Dj Ogilvy

Epic. Fucking. Fail. Of. Massive. Proportions.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 15:19:59

At 3 hours ago, xydawgxy wrote: just an fyi the music is being deleted everywhere. He told me that he was going to delete it all.

Hi there
As I stated before, I strongly believe in education, so, why not stick around, learn something and make some music?
Eventually, if you get good at it, somebody might steal it and you can make your own angry thread ;)

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 15:44:15

Looks like the music has been removed from Bandcamp and Cd baby.

But you still have to remove the songs from these sites :

Amazon

Itunes

Rhapsody

7digital

emusic

and here

Also , i don't see what's the point of using an alt. You have been caught by your actions and you should face the consequences.

I think you should apologize for your actions too, you don't have idea how much time musicians spend making one single track and still, they upload it for FREE so they can start making a name out of them.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 17:08:10

At 1 hour ago, Acid-Paradox wrote: Looks like the music has been removed from Bandcamp and Cd baby.

Amazon

Itunes

Rhapsody

7digital

emusic

and here

Also , i don't see what's the point of using an alt. You have been caught by your actions and you should face the consequences.

I think you should apologize for your actions too, you don't have idea how much time musicians spend making one single track and still, they upload it for FREE so they can start making a name out of them.

I have cancelled digitial distrbrution for all the songs and they should be gone in a week. I don't have control of how fast it happens. cd baby will do it as fast as possible.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 17:27:23

At 1 hour ago, Acid-Paradox wrote: Looks like the music has been removed from Bandcamp and Cd baby.
Amazon
Itunes
Rhapsody
7digital
emusic
and here

Wow... in so many places... that's sick... those would be good finds if those wouldn't be bad... still, good work Acid.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-18 20:30:07

At 2 hours ago, xydawgxy wrote:
I have cancelled digitial distrbrution for all the songs and they should be gone in a week. I don't have control of how fast it happens. cd baby will do it as fast as possible.

Thank you for being responsible for your actions.

Now , I'm not going to ask you how much money did you made from all this. I just hope that you learned a lesson here. I don't know how old you are but i think you are person that can understand that what you did was wrong and unethical. You can have bigger problems if this happens again and you could get sued for musical plagiarism.

So I'll keep checking the sites and if you keep your promise of removing the tracks from all the sites , there will be no problem.

But I'm just speaking for myself , you will probably have to deal with the other artist's demands.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-19 00:09:19

At 3 hours ago, Acid-Paradox wrote: Now , I'm not going to ask you how much money did you made from all this. I just hope that you learned a lesson here. I don't know how old you are but i think you are person that can understand that what you did was wrong and unethical.

This.

I hope you realize, "DJ Ogilvy," that stealing music and calling it your own AND trying to make a profit from it is the worst thing you can ever do to another musician. I hope you realize that your attitude is so far from what makes a real musician it's mindboggling and pathetic.

You're very lucky you got off easy here. Some day this could have gotten you into serious trouble, the kind you can't just forget about and say to yourself "aw shucks, I could have made some easy cash off these stupid chumps I stole from." The kind of trouble where you end up in court paying more than you earned to the people who ACTUALLY WORKED HARD TO CREATE MUSIC AND HAD THE HEART TO GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE.

I hope this experience matures you. I hope you never do it again.
Personally I can't stand people like you, but Sorohanro is right - you can learn to make music yourself if you really want to. I highly recommend it. Maybe then you'll realize how difficult it is and how much it sucks when all that effort is being stolen by someone for praise and profit.

For anyone who thinks I'm too hard on this guy, I'm not. He's getting off easy. A thief ditching his stolen goods is no achievement, like a drug dealer tossing a bag of coke out the window once the police are on to him. But I do hope he picks up music-making if he really wants to, and never steals again but creates original work.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-19 01:17:17

At 50 minutes ago, NickPerrin wrote: For anyone who thinks I'm too hard on this guy...

Unfortunately, my views on what this guy deserves would likely get me in trouble. So I'll just say I think he deserves more than being driven onto the streets homeless by the very people he stole from.

I am a cruel, evil person, and I do not believe in forgiveness or mercy.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-19 05:28:45

At 5 hours ago, NickPerrin wrote:
For anyone who thinks I'm too hard on this guy, I'm not.

I agree with everything you said, Nick. Just too lazy to type it all out. This guy is a thief and must be glad that he doesn't face court or get charged (for now).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-19 07:11:51

Guys !
What is your goal ?

Do you want "Dj Ogivly" to understand that what he did is very wrong ? Do you want him to stop ? Well, that's achieved.
Do you want to make it an example (like "Dj Cetacea", who never admitted stealing, who didn't took down the stolen content and who seems to be back, by the way), here, this thread is an example.

Do you want "Dj Ogivly" to really understand ? Get him to make music, get him to know how hard you get to professional results. Get him to struggle for one or two reviews, get him to know how is to work one year to make an album.
Make him understand the process from inside.
Don't make him be sorry for having the courage to admit he was wrong, don't make him to be sorry for finally taking the right decision.

but what do I really know?

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-20 02:13:10

At 19 hours ago, sorohanro wrote: Guys !
What is your goal ?

Rubbing salt on the wound. It'll make it heal faster, but in the mean time it's gonna sting like a bitch. Catch where I'm coming from?

BBS Signature

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-20 07:31:01

At 5 hours ago, Cross666 wrote: Rubbing salt on the wound. It'll make it heal faster, but in the mean time it's gonna sting like a bitch. Catch where I'm coming from?

From the land where everybody is afraid to go to the doctor ?

joking man... I'm coming from there.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-20 08:09:45

At 1 day ago, sorohanro wrote: Do you want "Dj Ogivly" to really understand ? Get him to make music, get him to know how hard you get to professional results. Get him to struggle for one or two reviews, get him to know how is to work one year to make an album.
Make him understand the process from inside.

You're totally right, and I mentioned this in my post too. I think once a person has been making music themselves for at least a few years or more, they've passed the point of ever wanting to steal another artist's work again. Understanding the personal nature of music as well as the sheer effort required to produce a decent piece of work after years of learning is a lesson in intellectual property in and of itself! And of course, all the other great things that music teaches you :)

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-21 18:58:35

¿Steal tracks made by other persons? ¿And give them a price? This "DJ" Ojivly deserves some kicks in the head for steal music made by another ones.

SC - dA

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-26 18:41:08

It's been a week since i posted the sites and looks like the music has been removed from rhapsody and itunes.

You only need to remove it from Amazonand the other minor sites.

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-26 21:01:30

At 3/11/12 05:49 PM, Travis wrote: People like this deserve to have their hands cut off.

Among other body parts.

uwu

Response to Dj Ogivly Stealing Music From Ng 2012-03-28 11:40:20

Amazon link is gone , only the 3 minor sites are left