Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 04:53:37 Reply

http://www.drdrum.com/
http://www.drdrum.com/images/comparison-chart.jpg

Yes, it quite possibly has the funniest advertisement campaign for a music program ever, but aside from that it does seem to potentially have some fairly decent options for a 40$ DAW (it's not going to be Reason, FL10, Cubase or anything). Even then, though, I don't have the money to fork for that, and I'm curious to see if this is at all a viable sequencer. Is there anyone willing to take a look at this thing? At worst, it looks like a drum sample pack with some decent sounds - and hey, it might actually be viable on some grounds.

On a different note, it looks like it's set up with plenty of loops and preset 'beats' (and possibly have a license like Magix, in which case none of the music coming from that program would be valid for NG), so it might be something for the NG moderators to be aware of at least for the sake of heading off presets that come from this program. If not to see if this could be a good novice program, one of the audio mods might want to give it a whirl and get an idea of how it impacts NG.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 05:02:39 Reply

I'd rather not make PHAT BEATZ yo.

EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 06:52:04 Reply

I'd rather not see ANYONE use this software EVER... Even though the ad is fairly amusing, the software itself looks like it seriously lacks really important features. Apart from that, let's take a look at this "corrected' comparison chart...

Other software (in order):
- Is not difficult to use per se (trust me, it's worth the hassle once you get the hang of it)
- Can export to much more than 'just mp3'. Apart from that, '44.1 Stereo .wav' isn't even the best quality out there...
- Usually has loads of video tutorials available and often great community support
- Offers more than just four octaves
- Supports multiple screens as well
- Often works on both Pc and Mac
- Allows for fast-paced and easy editing (yes, EVEN copy-pasting multiple bars...)
- Provides samples of often good quality, which you can easily replace with other VSTis if you don't like them
- Usually has some form of EQ, even the cheapest ones
- Allows you to sell whatever you make with it
- Has much greater value in the long run

There is a lot of good notation software available for that kind of money. For example, Melody Assistant is really cheap, yet it is great for score editing (in my opinion). True, it's not a full-fledged DAW, but then again, so isn't 'Dr. Drum'...

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 10:59:55 Reply

I wanna make bangers :D

Here is something I saw the other day...

Also I think Acid-Paradox posted about Dub Turbo awhile ago, that one was pretty funny too

Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 11:44:36 Reply

Well, I'd rather pay the money for a ''fancy dinner for two at my favourite joint''.

New tune: Yag

Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 11:49:56 Reply

Oh boy, I want to make Crazy beatzzzz. Why do I even bother with logic pro, when shitt like this is out on the market!

Also her voice is fucking annoying.
Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 13:18:46 Reply

I think the people behind Dr.Drum are the same people behind Dub Turbo.They both have the same lines on their site and that silly comparison chart.

and how that bitch dares to call music theory nonsense..........

I would avoid this software if my theory about their creators is true , Dub turbo is the worst thing (or loop masher) i have ever seen out there.

The funny thing is that everyone knows it sucks but they just won't give up........

BOW

CHICKA

BOW

Wtf you again???

Music is my passion , not my business.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-03-11 13:23:23 Reply

I was interested in it until I saw the UI. Nope.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
NoSpace
NoSpace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 14:14:13 Reply

So, did anyone actually try that software

Nothing

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 14:42:59 Reply

At 8/17/12 02:14 PM, NoSpace wrote: So, did anyone actually try that software

Im suspcious that you´re the creator of dubturbo/dr drum

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 15:43:56 Reply

At 3/11/12 06:52 AM, EagleGuard wrote: Other software (in order):
- Is not difficult to use per se (trust me, it's worth the hassle once you get the hang of it)

Amen.

- Can export to much more than 'just mp3'. Apart from that, '44.1 Stereo .wav' isn't even the best quality out there...

Let's not forget the FLAC and OGG formats for those who wish to export in those formats. On that note, do Macs even run WAV files?

- Usually has loads of video tutorials available and often great community support

Amen to that too. Who are those people behind Dr Drum trying to rival? Image-Line and FL Studio? For the amount of community support and video tutorials it has, it does seem like they are trying to directly attack FL Studio.

- Offers more than just four octaves

Ten, in the case of FL Studio, and I'm sure that most DAWs would do the same.

- Allows for fast-paced and easy editing (yes, EVEN copy-pasting multiple bars...)

AMEN.

- Provides samples of often good quality, which you can easily replace with other VSTis if you don't like them

That's the whole POINT of VSTs. Or soundfonts. Not having a VST library makes me wonder what they'd use for filtering. The commercial seems to cover sound sampling and panning, but what about things that Fruity Flangus, Soundgoodizer, Fruity Reeverb etc. can do? Those are basic things, and they don't seem to appear in the commercial AT ALL.

- Usually has some form of EQ, even the cheapest ones

Even a default EQ is fine by me.

- Allows you to sell whatever you make with it
- Has much greater value in the long run

It does seem to me that Dr Drum is targeting the people who want to be famous but aren't going to take the trouble to WORK through it all. I mean, there are high-speed methods of learning DAWs, but to each his own time and pace. If he can produce something of actual quality and not just the standard crappy beat that people post from FL Studio to YouTube, fine. I am not convinced by that ad, and neither am I amused.

There is a lot of good notation software available for that kind of money. For example, Melody Assistant is really cheap, yet it is great for score editing (in my opinion). True, it's not a full-fledged DAW, but then again, so isn't 'Dr. Drum'...

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Jewelz123
Jewelz123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 16:50:35 Reply

I've ordered mine now. You should get yours too while stocks last!

boney-man
boney-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 17:51:50 Reply

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
boney-man
boney-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-17 17:54:16 Reply

Even just the slogan makes me laugh my ass off... "Make pro beats today with no experience!"

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-18 09:36:50 Reply

This thread reminded me of WobbleBoss.

Sure, with these softwares you can produce something that's better quality than if you picked up NI Massive for the first time, but you're not gonna get anywhere. Hell, you could probably pump out something that sounds pretty good with hardly any knowledge of sound or music, but good luck getting farther once you realize all your tracks sound the same and you have no idea how to progress.

You think Dr. Dre used Dr. Drum? No, because he is Dr. Drum!

You think Skrillex uses WobbleBoss? No, because he worked hard to BECOME THE WOBBLEBOSS!

My point? Don't take the soft option. Work hard, and become a boss.

not a boss like a manager, but... gah, you know what I mean.

Or a doctor! Lots of money in that...

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-18 10:31:39 Reply

Software like this are - in my honest opinion - no more than training wheels. Kinda like Audiotool. It's ok if you make a few cool tracks that you have no idea how you made using duplo samples, but if you don't go deeper and try to learn how you did it so you can make it from scratch with your own samples, you aren't progressing as a musician.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-18 10:51:19 Reply

At 8/18/12 10:31 AM, Tydusis wrote: Kinda like Audiotool. It's ok if you make a few cool tracks that you have no idea how you made using duplo samples......

On that note, if we catch anyone actually using this software, we have to question him on the samples he used, at all times. Failure to do so = insta-ban.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-19 21:22:42 Reply

I dunno. This seems like amateur stuff, like you only get it if u wanna have fun, not make serious music. This seems like just a bang around toy type of DAW.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-19 21:44:27 Reply

At 8/18/12 09:36 AM, The-iMortal wrote: This thread reminded me of WobbleBoss.

Wobbleboss are the same guys behind drdrum/dubturbo

they even have the same narrator on their video demo

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-20 07:14:55 Reply

Fruity Loops for life :D

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-20 12:51:25 Reply

WOW!
Its drag-and-drop simple? I can knock out awesome beats easily? CONSIDER THIS SHIT BOUGHT!
Fuck logic! Why did I ever spend time on that pice of shit when I can "Make BEATZ laik docturr drei" in minutes?

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dr. Drum, baby! 2012-08-20 13:10:35 Reply

At 3/11/12 01:18 PM, Acid-Paradox wrote: and how that bitch dares to call music theory nonsense..........

Darn straight!

Just for saying theory is nonsense, I am definitely not telling anyone to even look at that program. XD

I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone who can't count beats can write a good drum track regardless of how simple it is. If you can't count 1-2-3-4 in a steady manner, which is in fact part of Theory, then you surely can't count 1-and-a-2-e-&-a-3-rest-4

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature