sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Help choosing the right thing. 2012-03-10 17:31:14 Reply

So... after many years on going on low budget and freebies I finally got some of the tools I need (Komplete, Requiem Light and some more libraries from Pettinhouse, 8Dio, and Soniccoture) but I want some more soundtrack related things:<br>
Strings<br>
Cinematic Strings($499.00) or Adagio by 8Dio(Introduction Price: $399 ($599))<br>
Rhythmic Electronics<br>
Rhythmic Aura Vol. 1 âEUoeAcousticâEU by 8Dio( $249) or EVOLVE by Heavyocity & Native Instruments(199,00 â'¬ aprox. $261.155)<br>
So, any thoughts or sharing past experiences with those would help.<br>

TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Help choosing the right thing. 2012-03-10 17:51:20 Reply

At 19 minutes ago, sorohanro wrote: So... after many years on going on low budget and freebies I finally got some of the tools I need (Komplete, Requiem Light and some more libraries from Pettinhouse, 8Dio, and Soniccoture) but I want some more soundtrack related things:<br>
Strings<br>

I would save your money, buy a decent synth either analog or digital (preference/cost) and make your own patches.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Help choosing the right thing. 2012-03-10 17:57:24 Reply

At 13 minutes ago, sorohanro wrote: Cinematic Strings($499.00) or Adagio by 8Dio(Introduction Price: $399 ($599))

I can't speak from personal experience on either of these, but going from the demos, Adagio sounds (to me at least) cheap and synthetic compared to Cinematic Strings. Cinematic Strings sound warmer and more lush -- I don't know if that's what you're looking for, though. Also, both seem to have reverb built-in to the samples: while it's nice for getting a quick and easy sound going, I found with EastWest's Symphonic Orchestra (which was also recorded in a hall) that the natural reverb on the samples actually got really annoying to work with, and sometimes clashed with other libraries.

If you're going to really do some serious string part writing, I'd truly recommend saving up for L.A. Scoring Strings. It's pretty damn expensive (about $1000 for the whole thing; but they do sell sections individually, and you can upgrade on a dollar-for-dollar path), but it has a versatility and flexibility I haven't seen matched by any other libraries. All of the samples were recorded on a sound stage, so there's little to no reverb on the actual samples (so you can add whatever want, and it won't sound too mushy). Even their solo strings sound fantastic, I'd say it sounds a lot better than the new EastWest Solo Violin.

Symphobia & Symphobia 2 (about $1300 each) are also very nice libraries. They focus less on solo instruments, and instead just go for big, epic ensembles -- full strings, full brass, full woodwinds, combined strings & brass, rises and effects, etc.

...I'm sorry, I tend to get a bit overexcited for sound libraries. And usually end up spending way more than I can easily afford!

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Help choosing the right thing. 2012-03-10 18:20:10 Reply

Thanks for the answers so far. Checking the links meanwhile :)
A synth, analog or digital would not cover all aspects of music production, that's why I prefer a computer with separate libraries targeted to different usages and combine with real instruments.

The EWQL stuff is very high quality (even if many people overcriticize it) but the iLok is a big turnoff for me. All my USB ports are occupied (by "Occupy USB" LOL) with stuff that need speed and cannot put all on a USB hub just to plug an extra iLok.