New Topic Respond to this Topic
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 15:39:43 Reply

This seems really simple but I can't figure out a satisfying answer. Clearly I hold some misconception, about the universe or relativity or physics in general or whatever. Could someone please clear that shit right up. Also can someone who's following the path of a ever see b.

So what's the deal here (physics)

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 15:46:14 Reply

speed of A in movement
+
speed of B in movement
=
speed of both moving away from each other if positioned on either A or B relating to a C point or other things

if on target C they are still moving away from each other ^^^ because you are referencing them not your self as the marker

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Landpaddle
Landpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 15:46:56 Reply

Assuming this isn't a joke and not a trick question - 1.2x the speed of light. Just add the values together, I guess.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 15:50:10 Reply

At 1 minute ago, Landpaddle wrote: Assuming this isn't a joke and not a trick question - 1.2x the speed of light. Just add the values together, I guess.

That's what I think it should be too but then the whole relativity thing I learned about fucks everything up in my head and makes me feel awful.

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 15:53:21 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, SBB wrote:
At 1 minute ago, Landpaddle wrote: Assuming this isn't a joke and not a trick question - 1.2x the speed of light. Just add the values together, I guess.
That's what I think it should be too but then the whole relativity thing I learned about fucks everything up in my head and makes me feel awful.

then the real answer is 42

call me toxie 0.~

BBS Signature
ModernPatriot
ModernPatriot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:05:51 Reply

The answer must be speed of a, plus speed of p.

A man once described hell as a place where there is no reason. Thank you, Feminists, for dragging me into hell.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:11:49 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, ModernPatriot wrote: The answer must be speed of a, plus speed of p.

the box is full of green things
well there are green things in the box
the box is tiny and full of green
thats a funny looking box
oh look green stuff in a box
i wonder what this green stuff is in this box
item: box/ contains:green stuff
there is a box around this green stuff
well you see, if you look at the beggining of the green stuff plus the history of the box, you come to a box and green stuff

call me toxie 0.~

BBS Signature
andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:13:35 Reply

I think the answer is 0.6. I'm pretty sure it's just 0.6.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
StationToStation
StationToStation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:14:59 Reply

At 33 minutes ago, SBB wrote: This seems really simple but I can't figure out a satisfying answer. Clearly I hold some misconception, about the universe or relativity or physics in general or whatever. Could someone please clear that shit right up. Also can someone who's following the path of a ever see b.

0.6x the speed of light.

That other 0.6 is b moving and is not what is being asked. We are not being asked for a total.

At once to profit and delight mankind,
And with the pleasing have th' instructive joined.

Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:15:11 Reply

A and B are furthering away from each other at 1.2 times the speed of light, nothing illegal about that.
Just because the speed limit is 50 on a highway and two cars are going in opposite directions at 30 doesn't mean either one is breaking the speed limit.

StationToStation
StationToStation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:16:35 Reply

At 1 minute ago, andy70707 wrote: I think the answer is 0.6. I'm pretty sure it's just 0.6.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR SPEEDY ANSWERING TIME!!!

At once to profit and delight mankind,
And with the pleasing have th' instructive joined.

Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:17:01 Reply

At 33 seconds ago, Cryoma wrote: A and B are furthering away from each other at 1.2 times the speed of light, nothing illegal about that.
Just because the speed limit is 50 on a highway and two cars are going in opposite directions at 30 doesn't mean either one is breaking the speed limit.

And right it is a trick question since it's relative to P, an unmoving point, so ^that should solve your confusion and lead you to the correct answer to the original question, which is 0.6 lightspeed.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:30:14 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Cryoma wrote: A and B are furthering away from each other at 1.2 times the speed of light, nothing illegal about that.

That's because the speed limit is defined as the speed you can have relative to the highway. The speed of light is (as far as I know) the highest speed you can have relative to anything at all. If not, which point in space would it be relative to?

At 10 minutes ago, Cryoma wrote: And right it is a trick question since it's relative to P, an unmoving point, so ^that should solve your confusion and lead you to the correct answer to the original question, which is 0.6 lightspeed.

I'm pretty sure it's not a trick question, I made it up :)
You could just as well say that B is an unmoving point that P is moving away from with a speed of 0.6 lightspeed.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:48:02 Reply

Guys: When you're talking about things happening near the speed of light, you need to work in a special relativity framework. This is not a trick question, and the answer is neither 1.2c (c is the speed of light) nor 0.6c (he's asking that if a person on P sees A moving away at 0.6c and B moving the other way at 0.6c, how fast does B appear to be moving away to someone who is standing on the surface of A).

The real answer is that you need to calculate things differently due to special relativity. The formula for that is to express vA and vB in units of c, then divide the sum of the velocities by 1 plus the product of the velocities. For this problem, that comes out to about 0.88c, so someone on A sees B moving away at 88% of the speed of light. How does that work? Time dilation.

tl;dr The universe is fuckin' crazy yo.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 16:58:10 Reply

At 7 minutes ago, Elfer wrote: tl;dr The universe is fuckin' crazy yo.

Thanks Elfer. Also could you suggest like a wikipedia article that I could read to settle my inner unrest about this

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:05:22 Reply

At 5 minutes ago, SBB wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, Elfer wrote: tl;dr The universe is fuckin' crazy yo.
Thanks Elfer. Also could you suggest like a wikipedia article that I could read to settle my inner unrest about this

Special Relativity
Time Dilation
Twin Paradox

It's pretty crazy stuff to wrap your head around. To be honest I don't quite understand it either, but I haven't spent much time reading up on the subject.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:15:06 Reply

At 1 hour ago, SBB wrote: the universe or relativity

To be honest I'm not very fond of Einsteinian physics. I mean the guy derived his conclusions from sitting and daydreaming about flying at the speed of light (that's not how science works). Hell he even admitted himself that his theories were flawed. Yet the world didn't give a fuck and made him an hero.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:31:09 Reply

At 14 minutes ago, amplefied wrote:
At 1 hour ago, SBB wrote: the universe or relativity
To be honest I'm not very fond of Einsteinian physics. I mean the guy derived his conclusions from sitting and daydreaming about flying at the speed of light (that's not how science works). Hell he even admitted himself that his theories were flawed. Yet the world didn't give a fuck and made him an hero.

Exactly every completed experiment about it ever has strengthened his hypothesis.

By the way if anyone's interested, found the answer

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:45:22 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, SBB wrote: Exactly every completed experiment about it ever has strengthened his hypothesis.

derp nope, they found a lot of stuff that didn't fit as well.

just google for flaws in special relativity, I'm no math geek so lots of what's being written flies over my head.

I'm more fond of natural sciences, you know with things that are tangible and aren't in the realm of figments of imagination.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:47:12 Reply

About 5345.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:47:25 Reply

At 1 minute ago, amplefied wrote: I'm more fond of natural sciences, you know with things that are tangible and aren't in the realm of figments of imagination.

ha

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 17:51:02 Reply

At 1 minute ago, SBB wrote:
At 1 minute ago, amplefied wrote: I'm more fond of natural sciences, you know with things that are tangible and aren't in the realm of figments of imagination.
ha

dunno about you but shit's Fascinating

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 18:08:01 Reply

At 16 minutes ago, amplefied wrote:
At 1 minute ago, SBB wrote:
ha
dunno about you but shit's Fascinating

I've watched those too and I agree. But to say that physics isn't a natural science is silly

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 18:18:27 Reply

At 4 minutes ago, SBB wrote: I've watched those too and I agree. But to say that physics isn't a natural science is silly

Yeah, I phrased that wrong, meant to say theoretical only. Something about the whole approach rubs me the wrong way.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 18:30:20 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, amplefied wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, SBB wrote: I've watched those too and I agree. But to say that physics isn't a natural science is silly
Yeah, I phrased that wrong, meant to say theoretical only. Something about the whole approach rubs me the wrong way.

Relativity is very much a practical thing too, any GPS would be off by several kilometers without it for instance. As far as I understand he began with the then kinda recent discovery that the speed of light is the same no matter how you're moving, and worked out the maths from there. One reason the world adores him is also because he put out not one but 4 papers that all fundamentally changed physics in 1905 alone.

Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 18:49:05 Reply

0.6x the speed of light.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to So what's the deal here (physics) 2012-03-09 19:06:11 Reply

At 24 minutes ago, SBB wrote: Relativity is very much a practical thing too

I don't doubt it, it's just as practical as newtons laws which all work very well, until you start using them to describe reality, which appears to be much more stranger than anything we can imagine. Hell we don't even know what causes gravity and already there's grand thories built on the effect alone. Doesn't exactly fall into cause and effect philosophy of the scientific method what astrophysicists are doing these days.

all fundamentally changed physics in 1905 alone.

He wasn't the only one working on the thing. Far from it.