Be a Supporter!
DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Record Labels Mar. 9th, 2012 @ 11:44 AM Reply

I just need other peoples opinion on signing a contract with a label.
Seems that I got a chance to sign a release with "Peak Hour Music", so I'd like to ask you what you think about this label?
I don't know yet what kind of contract they offer, but can someone please direct me where to learn more about different types of contracts?

Also, has anyone been signed with an electronic label in the past, to give some tips?
Could it be an issue that I'm not from the USA, the place they reside?

AuruxBlu
AuruxBlu
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 9th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

At 11 minutes ago, DJDela wrote: I just need other peoples opinion on signing a contract with a label.
Seems that I got a chance to sign a release with "Peak Hour Music", so I'd like to ask you what you think about this label?
I don't know yet what kind of contract they offer, but can someone please direct me where to learn more about different types of contracts?

Also, has anyone been signed with an electronic label in the past, to give some tips?
Could it be an issue that I'm not from the USA, the place they reside?

This topic has been brought up before and someone posted a link to this article. Can't remember who posted it but, it's an interesting read and should be able to answer all of your questions about labels.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 9th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM Reply

At 14 minutes ago, AuruxBlu wrote: This topic has been brought up before and someone posted a link to this article. Can't remember who posted it but, it's an interesting read and should be able to answer all of your questions about labels.

Ah, thank you, that seems like a good article, I'll read it immediately.

In the meantime, just to say a few words.
I'm not afraid to be scammed here, because obviously, it's not a scam or anything since I contacted them first and they seem to be a serious label.
(I don't know about their website though, since its basically just a flash animation, but whatever)
This is the link to site: Peak Hour Music

But, one thing I would like to avoid is paying so they could promote me or something like that.
I would rather make less money of it, than to invest in the beggining.
Do the labels usually make artist pay when signing a contract?
I just want to hear opinions from someone who's experienced in this.
Thanks.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 9th, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

Depends what kind of terms you want. Pro-tip: at this stage in your career, you have no leverage. Your options are really to take what they offer, or walk.

If they're offering a distribution deal, most of the time you'll front 50% of the costs each. On the tailend, you'll each get 50% of profits.

Since I'm assuming you already have an album or EP ready to go (at least that's what I'm guessing from your post), a distro deal is probably what they'll be willing to sign. They're not a major label, so there's no point in them signingan Exclusive Recording Agreement; at the same time, you're not prominent enough that they could expect enough recoupables to warrant an ERA or 360 deal.

If you don't want up-front costs, you're pretty much SOL...Unless you don't mind getting so screwed that you mever see a dime.

Or, unless you break into the mainstream, or you generate enough hype that you have multiple labels competing for you. Those are the only two ways to get leverage. (Unless you know someone who knows someone who can play your tracks to the Executive Vice President of A&R at a major label.)

And always, always, always have a music lawyer read through your contract; or a friend who's studying music law. There are terms and points for discussion in music contracts that regular lawyers just won't understand.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 9th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, RampantMusik wrote: Depends what kind of terms you want. Pro-tip: at this stage in your career, you have no leverage. Your options are really to take what they offer, or walk.

If they're offering a distribution deal, most of the time you'll front 50% of the costs each. On the tailend, you'll each get 50% of profits.

Since I'm assuming you already have an album or EP ready to go (at least that's what I'm guessing from your post), a distro deal is probably what they'll be willing to sign. They're not a major label, so there's no point in them signingan Exclusive Recording Agreement; at the same time, you're not prominent enough that they could expect enough recoupables to warrant an ERA or 360 deal.

If you don't want up-front costs, you're pretty much SOL...Unless you don't mind getting so screwed that you mever see a dime.

Or, unless you break into the mainstream, or you generate enough hype that you have multiple labels competing for you. Those are the only two ways to get leverage. (Unless you know someone who knows someone who can play your tracks to the Executive Vice President of A&R at a major label.)

And always, always, always have a music lawyer read through your contract; or a friend who's studying music law. There are terms and points for discussion in music contracts that regular lawyers just won't understand.

Just one thing, the profit is not the most important to me.
I just want to make sure the label does it's part in advertising, as I'm doing it for some exposure.
Of course, I won't settle for 10% or less, but I'm not greedy to go over 50%.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that is studying music law, and can't currently pay for a lawyer.
That's why I would specificaly go for the contract without any up-front costs.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by SOL, can you please explain?
And yes I got a single ready for now, they told me to send the mastered version, which means they don't do it.
That's why I'm hoping I won't have to make any payments up-front.

Thanks for your help.

Kylenorbury
Kylenorbury
  • Member since: May. 23, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Record Labels Mar. 10th, 2012 @ 12:49 AM Reply

The business is full of shady people. Just steer clear


.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Record Labels Mar. 10th, 2012 @ 01:45 AM Reply

I'd wait.

Mainly because the word DJ is still in your name.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 10th, 2012 @ 01:58 AM Reply

At 12 minutes ago, jpbear wrote: I'd wait.

Mainly because the word DJ is still in your name.

Nope, it's not anymore, anything I release from now on will be under the name "Dela".

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 10th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

You should check out the other artists on the label and see how there doing. I was the guy that posted the artical just to let you know.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 05:13 AM Reply

At 9 hours ago, gavkay21 wrote: You should check out the other artists on the label and see how there doing. I was the guy that posted the artical just to let you know.

I found the label on beatport and decided to give it a try.
Just open the site and see which artist had a release signed with them.
Deadmau5, Melleefresh, Lazy Rich, Zedd...
So I guess it seems legit, and I doubt I will get a response from these artists if I asked for their opinion, lol.

That was a great article to read, it really expanded my view of label contracts.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 05:18 AM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, DJDela wrote:
I found the label on beatport and decided to give it a try.
Just open the site and see which artist had a release signed with them.
Deadmau5, Melleefresh, Lazy Rich, Zedd...
So I guess it seems legit, and I doubt I will get a response from these artists if I asked for their opinion, lol.

what?

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 06:54 AM Reply

At 1 hour ago, jpbear wrote: what?

lolwut?

Syztm
Syztm
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 11:08 AM Reply

You can be sure that they're legit. As far as I can remember, Porter Robinson and Darth & Vader have released music under that label, so they're pretty big.
Just wait and see what kind of offer they give you, and like somebody before me said, have a music lawyer read through it to eliminate your chances of getting screwed over.


New tune: Yag

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Syztm wrote: You can be sure that they're legit. As far as I can remember, Porter Robinson and Darth & Vader have released music under that label, so they're pretty big.
Just wait and see what kind of offer they give you, and like somebody before me said, have a music lawyer read through it to eliminate your chances of getting screwed over.

Thanks for the response.
Well that's what I thought because all of those artist that released under them.
I know I need to be careful even if the label is legit, but I doubt I will hire a lawyer to read the contract (can't afford one).

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 02:51 PM Reply

At 9 hours ago, DJDela wrote: Deadmau5, Melleefresh, Lazy Rich, Zedd...

Tread carefully dela, alot of labels will pretend that they have big names signed with them to con artists. Deadmau5 has his own label "mau5trap records" and if you look on his wiki page there is no mention of him being signed to these guys what so ever (see pic).

See what they offer you in with the contract, but make sure you triple check it!

Also if you want to gague how big they really are then check the following.

>How big is there following on social media sites(facebook, twitter)
>If they have a youtube channle, how good is there stats
>How big is there soundcloud page. Whats the follow/following ratio like? How many plays do they get per track on average?

With the artist's they claim to have under thier belt thier stats should be huge on all these sites.
A record label is ment to publish and PROMOTE your music, how would they be able to do that with a weak internet presence and considering the artists they claim to have well ...

PS: i checked there soundcloud page; they have 535 followers

Record Labels

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 23 minutes ago, gavkay21 wrote:
At 9 hours ago, DJDela wrote: Deadmau5, Melleefresh, Lazy Rich, Zedd...
Tread carefully dela, alot of labels will pretend that they have big names signed with them to con artists. Deadmau5 has his own label "mau5trap records" and if you look on his wiki page there is no mention of him being signed to these guys what so ever (see pic).

See what they offer you in with the contract, but make sure you triple check it!

Also if you want to gague how big they really are then check the following.

>How big is there following on social media sites(facebook, twitter)
>If they have a youtube channle, how good is there stats
>How big is there soundcloud page. Whats the follow/following ratio like? How many plays do they get per track on average?

With the artist's they claim to have under thier belt thier stats should be huge on all these sites.
A record label is ment to publish and PROMOTE your music, how would they be able to do that with a weak internet presence and considering the artists they claim to have well ...

PS: i checked there soundcloud page; they have 535 followers

They have 2414 likes on facebook, and I found this amongst the news.
https://www.facebook.com/djNewkiss/posts/185758884863142

So you see, they released Deadmau5's track on beatport (they couldn't fake that, I guess?)
And I found Lazy Rich's and Zedd's remixes on their profile on facebook.
I can't say it doesn't bother me they don't have large amounts of track plays (in fact, it's very low), but they have releases on beatport, I guess it's legit then?

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, DJDela wrote:
So you see, they released Deadmau5's track on beatport (they couldn't fake that, I guess?)
And I found Lazy Rich's and Zedd's remixes on their profile on facebook.
I can't say it doesn't bother me they don't have large amounts of track plays (in fact, it's very low), but they have releases on beatport, I guess it's legit then?

Click on release that you 100% know is by deadmau5, then click on the artist name and if its there it should be legit.....

very weird though.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 16 minutes ago, jpbear wrote: Click on release that you 100% know is by deadmau5, then click on the artist name and if its there it should be legit.....

very weird though.

I opened Deadmau5 on beatport and 3 releases by Peak Hour Music are there (one is Lazy Rich Remix though).
Weird indeed...

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 17 minutes ago, DJDela wrote:
At 16 minutes ago, jpbear wrote: Click on release that you 100% know is by deadmau5, then click on the artist name and if its there it should be legit.....

very weird though.
I opened Deadmau5 on beatport and 3 releases by Peak Hour Music are there (one is Lazy Rich Remix though).
Weird indeed...

one of the deadmau5 songs was released on another label before coming on that one.

Still very weird idk how a label can release a buyable album of already released songs (http://www.beatport.com/release/best-of-2011-rewind/863575)

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 11th, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

Mabey its deadmau5's really early work, before he got as big as he is now. I noticed that they did have some big name realeses on beatport. I will ask one of my trusted record label freinds for some advice on this one dela he will know more about it than i will ... ill get back to you on it

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 6 hours ago, gavkay21 wrote: Mabey its deadmau5's really early work, before he got as big as he is now. I noticed that they did have some big name realeses on beatport. I will ask one of my trusted record label freinds for some advice on this one dela he will know more about it than i will ... ill get back to you on it

Thank you, that would be much appreciated.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 07:45 AM Reply

Okay had quick chat with a few guys. It seems as though this label has made a complimation album with all these big artists. Bassicly they have asked permission from other labels to use these songs in thier compliation albums making it appear as though they have big names signed with them.

durn
durn
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 10:13 AM Reply

At 2 hours ago, gavkay21 wrote: Okay had quick chat with a few guys. It seems as though this label has made a complimation album with all these big artists. Bassicly they have asked permission from other labels to use these songs in thier compliation albums making it appear as though they have big names signed with them.

Sneaky, sneaky.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 10:30 AM Reply

At 2 hours ago, gavkay21 wrote: Okay had quick chat with a few guys. It seems as though this label has made a complimation album with all these big artists. Bassicly they have asked permission from other labels to use these songs in thier compliation albums making it appear as though they have big names signed with them.

OK, so they're not as big as I thought, but that still doesn't say anything in particular.
Not all of their releases are compilations, there are still singles and some EPs.
So basically, I can't rely on the fact they released some famous artist's tracks, and definitely should be careful when (if) signing a release.

Thanks for checking it out.

Phraktol
Phraktol
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

Man, if you're just an independent artist trying to make a first release, you can easily find a small but good label to work with who shouldnt have any upfront fees, any output on their behalf would come primarily out of your royalties.

Honestly man, in the EDM world there is a ton of 'labels' and its not that hard to sell on beatport, itunes, amazon and a plethera of other music distributors.

I would just say look around, get your music out there and see what offers you can find. but honestly you're looking to release a single, not a large release, and you havent had any mention of trying to be 'part of a label', so if you dont want to have a working relationship with them (i.e. multiple future releases under the same label) then it shouldn't be that difficult to find someone to release it, permitting of course that your music is sellable.

I produce dubstep and know many label owners that regularly look for talent, and are constantly releasing via beatport, and its typically pretty chill working with a label once you get to know the people a bit.

I personally think its more important to KNOW the label you're working with, and being comfortable with them, rather than looking strictly at their accolades and what headlining artists they have worked with.

durn
durn
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

its typically pretty chill working with a label once you get to know the people a bit.

I personally think its more important to KNOW the label you're working with, and being comfortable with them, rather than looking strictly at their accolades and what headlining artists they have worked with.

Sometimes it's a little hard to meet people in the know when you're not legal drinking age. ;)

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 12th, 2012 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 44 minutes ago, Phraktol wrote: I personally think its more important to KNOW the label you're working with, and being comfortable with them, rather than looking strictly at their accolades and what headlining artists they have worked with.

I know, but in that case, how can I eliminate shitty labels from the ones that are really good and fair to the artist?
If some famous artist released under that label, then it's certainly better than some other label that signed a few artists no one heard of (like me :P)

DJDela
DJDela
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 03:55 AM Reply

Okay, so this is what the current situation looks like.
Peak Hour Records offered a standard 50/50 deal. Seems pretty fair.
But, I have to do my own mastering. I can do it myself, but of course it would sound much better if a professional did it.
What I don't know yet is the most important question I ask myself, is promoting included in the price, and will any additional costs be deducted from the royalty % or will I have to pay it up front...

On the other hand, there's Plasmapool.
I sent them a demo, and they asked for more tracks, so I still need to check out if they are really interested.
Actually they said it would fit their imprint label Houserecordings.
Of course Plasmapool is more "well known" than Peak Hour Records.

So my question to you, is it worth the wait, to see if Plasmapool is interested?
That 50/50 deal is fair, right?
But I still can't deny the fact that Peak Hour Records have just a few guys signed, and they had those "sneaky" releases within a compilation, just to seem that they are a big label and signing big artist.

Any help and thoughts from you guys would be much appreciated.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Record Labels Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 08:35 PM Reply

plasmapool is a nice label,

but I do know a couple of people with VERY good tunes that go literally unnoticed when they sign with them.

minus their devout fans of course.
Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Record Labels Mar. 31st, 2012 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 3/30/12 08:35 PM, jpbear wrote: plasmapool is a nice label,

but I do know a couple of people with VERY good tunes that go literally unnoticed when they sign with them.

minus their devout fans of course.

Now we're talking! If you have multiple labelsinterested in signing you, *now* you'll start to get a bit of leverage for better terms. Also, if possible, opt for a 3-5 year contract with an option. That way, your rights will revert to you and, if they don't really help you that much, you can leave after the contract expires. (Alternatively, if everything goes smoothly, you can enter into negotiations to extend the contract - that's what the option's there for, and it's usually the labels choice whether or not they will take the option),