Be a Supporter!

2001: Space Odyssey

  • 866 Views
  • 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 12:10 AM Reply

Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

Well, not really. I got a good idea on how the monolith is influing on the human specy, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the ending :)

CalvinGodly
CalvinGodly
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

There is no explaining it...

reverend
reverend
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM Reply

At 28 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Well, not really. I got a good idea on how the monolith is influing on the human specy, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the ending :)

That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level: Ape evolves to use tools, man leaves Earth and reaches the moon, and when man reaches Jupiter to show dominion over space travel. When man reaches these points they are able to move to a higher point of existence.


Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, reverend wrote: That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level:

Sounds like Spore, but I heard Spore was heavily influenced by that movie. I want to check it out sometime, never gotten a chance to.

Sounds like it was pretty good, for its time at least.


"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:05 AM Reply

I don't know, I fell asleep long before then.

Fuck Stanley Kubric.

KiDX05
KiDX05
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p
Personally think it's really overrated.


BBS Signature
Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:38 AM Reply

At 40 minutes ago, Narcissy wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, reverend wrote: That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level:
Sounds like Spore

fucking spore that game was the biggest disappointment


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:40 AM Reply

That's the name of a strip club where I live.
They put that strip club in one of the Tony Hawk games.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

At 1 hour ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

Just forgot about it and watch a funny movie.


I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, Sanch wrote: fucking spore that game was the biggest disappointment

Won't hide my disappointment in a lot of underdeveloped features, and lack of evolutionary stages. Such as the water stage. Seems like evolving from a crustacean to a land walking incest would be fairly important.


"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

Why would you watch that movie, when you could be playing a video game.


I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

SpamOfCan
SpamOfCan
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM Reply

TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 15 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p

I will have to disagree. The movie is meant to be slow-paced. The atmosphere of terryfying emptyness of space, or the crushing and dominating power of the monolith couldn't be felt without the music and the slow-paced progression of the storylines (because the movie does include 4 different chapters). To be completely fair, some scenes really are way too long and slow. The two overly long and slow-paced scenes in my opinion are the first time they go out of the spaceship to fix it, and the scene in the last chapter when the astronaut reaches Jupiter's orbit and starts seing crazy acid-trip like shit for a full ten minutes of the movie. Otherwise, I wasn't disapointed with any scene from the movie. I don't know why you say the movie doesn't start up until 20-30 minutes. The first chapter of the movie, Dawn Of Men is quite important considering the fact that it introduces the Monolith to the story and also considering the impact it has on Man's evolution.

Personally think it's really overrated.

Might be, but I still liked it. Unique experience, especially because of the amazing soundtrack.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 17 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

he turned on his music visualizer by accident and started tripping out

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, amplefied wrote:
At 17 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...
he turned on his music visualizer by accident and started tripping out

Best explaination so far. I assume that's also why he turns in a gigantic space foetus that warps through the universe at lightspeed.

HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 05:49 PM Reply

Aliens.

2001: Space Odyssey


This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 16 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p
Personally think it's really overrated.

Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve explosions or killing people.

Good god, people today can't appreciate anything good.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 9 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Best explaination so far. I assume that's also why he turns in a gigantic space foetus that warps through the universe at lightspeed.

Nah the giant fetus was induced by a DMT hallucination released by the brain as he was dying from the lack of oxygen and as the spacecraft was veering into Jupiter.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, Drake wrote:
At 16 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p
Personally think it's really overrated.
Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve explosions or killing people.

I also consider you can't build-up a great space atmosphere, especially one that is supposed to be heavy, immersive and tense... if you don't take the time.

In the second chapter, I really like the scene when the scientist is flying is this kind of space plane to the space station. And the other scene when they first encounter the Monolith on the Moon. The drone music, the ambience... damn! That was intense! There is no way this scene could have been any shorter or faster-paced.

Good god, people today can't appreciate anything good.

Well, to be fair Drake wasn't hard on the movie and he didn't say it sucked balls. Plus, you don't have to like a movie like this. It might not be your type of cinema. I still think we all need to make an effort to at least try to appreciate such a special kind of cinema. The movie was well made, and it accomplished every goal Kubrick has set for it.

Asperchu
Asperchu
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 16 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve killing people.

.

2001: Space Odyssey

kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 18 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Space Odyssey

Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you!


"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Artist
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:23 PM Reply

This should sum it up for you:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/


PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:32 PM Reply

From what I've read and seen, I thought it had to do with new beginnings as its a newborn baby floating in space at the end


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 11 minutes ago, Psych wrote: This should sum it up for you:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/

Watching it right now. I'm not really agreing with it all :O so far at least.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 11 minutes ago, Psych wrote: This should sum it up for you:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/
Watching it right now. I'm not really agreing with it all :O so far at least.

The understanding of the whole concept of technologies and tools in Kubrick's work is very interresting though. I like what he did with the third part.

GabeLam
GabeLam
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 07:10 PM Reply

The ending is when you stand up and realize you just watched the most boring movie ever. Kthx.


BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 14 minutes ago, GabeLam wrote: The ending is when you stand up and realize you just watched the most boring movie ever. Kthx.

So, did you watch The Expendables 2 yet?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Asperchu wrote:
At 16 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve killing people.
.

I'm facepalming from your facepalming from what he said.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to 2001: Space Odyssey Mar. 6th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Asperchu wrote:
At 16 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve killing people.
.
I'm facepalming from your facepalming from what he said.

I second this facepalm.

Also, to those who were talking about Spores. If you search the 2001: A Space Odyssey and Spores pages on Wikipedia, you will see that both make mention of the influence that Kubrick's Monolith had on the game.