00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is a MMO a legitimate addiction?

969 Views | 22 Replies

Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 15:34:31

I just really want to get some opinions on this, some say yes, some say no. And what about other video games?

This isn't in VG because it doesn't really involve discussing a game in particular.

Opinions?

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 15:37:50

Anything can be an addiction.

ANYTHING.

welcum 2 da teem shieky

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 15:40:21

I always get bored of all the MMOs I play, so I'd say no.

However, certain aspects of MMOs, like the pursuit of higher levels, or better gear, can be addictive for many.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 15:42:14

At 48 seconds ago, Painbringer wrote: However, certain aspects of MMOs, like the pursuit of higher levels, or better gear, can be addictive for many.

so, basically, yes, they are?

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 15:42:23

I played WoW a lot back when it was actually good, but I still don't think it should be considered a real addiction. People who kill themselves (literally) over MMOs are pathetic.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:10:31

When it begins to negatively affect your hygiene and overall physical health then I think yes.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool."-FurryFox

This is a temporary account. see JBK

Groups: Gay/Bi Users, Last.fmClub

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:20:15

At 41 minutes ago, JmdMagic wrote: Anything can be an addiction.

ANYTHING.

need more ponies.. must ... have... more... ponies

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:30:55

At 43 minutes ago, tehtimmy4080 wrote: so, basically, yes, they are?

Only until you've fulfilled the need, and have nothing more to gain.

After that there is nothing to do, and the addiction stops.

That is until the game expands, or you find another one.

Still, I know of no one who has gotten bored of hard drugs...

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:35:42

Video games can become an addiction, anyone arguing with me is in denial of this. Addiction isn't always a terrible thing, I love video games, but some are addicting. Anything could be an addiction, from inflicting pain on oneself to learning.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:40:45

As stupid as it sounds, I believe it can be. I've known plenty of people that played it constantly. Not because they were bored or had nothing else to do. They became fiends for it.

They'd actually disregard hanging out with friends, going to parties, to class because all they wanted to do was play.

I can understand becoming "addicted" for a short period of time but that seems natural or not even an addiction. For example, when Black Ops and Skyrim came out, I played them non-stop for at least 3 months until I got sick of it or a new game came out. But that's normal games.

I can't get into MMOs. I've tried playing WoW and LoL but I can't get into them. I don't see the fun in it and I get bored of it quickly. Maybe if you have friends in real or in-game that play constantly it becomes easier to get addicted to.

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:42:32

It can be. It mightn't have that physical dependency factor to it as a substance, but psychologically it can be a cunt.

how technical of me.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:47:04

You don't die from playing too much, nor do you feel withdrawal symptoms if you stay away from it for a while. The only withdrawal symptom you'll have is your fat ass brain wanting to play the game badly, but your body won't suffer any harm, unless you're slitting your wrists because of it. And if you actually reach the stage of wanting to kill yourself because of it, you're fucking retarded for thinking about it and deserved to die anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:51:54

At 40 seconds ago, Brain-Damage wrote: You don't die from playing too much

Happens now and again.

The only withdrawal symptom you'll have is your fat ass brain wanting to play the game badly, but your body won't suffer any harm

The addiction does ruin lives now and again. Admittedly, it's not going to knock you dead like crack will, but it's silly to pretend it won't mess with your life. Whether it be by messing with your education or just turning you into a lazy cunt.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 16:57:05

Anything that elicits an emotional response can be addictive regardless of whether or not it is physically addictive. This is called emotional addiction.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:13:28

At 24 minutes ago, Brain-Damage wrote: You don't die from playing too much

You can. Laws have been made in some countries because people would play 48 hour gaming marathons, turn off their console, stand up, and die.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:18:18

Yes. But so can anything.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:39:23

At 15 minutes ago, walkinator wrote: You can. Laws have been made in some countries because people would play 48 hour gaming marathons, turn off their console, stand up, and die.

That's because they are fat asses that can't even stand up every now and then, and prefer playing games during every single minute. A 24 hour game marathon would bore the fuck outta me, let alone a 48 hour one.

I'll still stick with my opinion that video games cannot cause addiction. You may like a game a lot, but eventually you'll get tired of it. But yes, you may also die of shitty reasons before you can actually grow tired of the game. The only withdrawal effects you might get would be psychological, if you are a retarded lazy fat ass.

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:40:56

At 2 hours ago, JmdMagic wrote: Anything can be an addiction.

ANYTHING.

*sighs*. Yeap. Anything.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:52:29

They can be.
Games in general are huge time sinks sometimes but they have the decency to have an end and give you your freetime back after a few days/ a while. MMOs never end except if you quit. The longer you play the more you will hesitate to give up on your phat loots and the devs make sure there's new content every once in a while to keep you interested. A few years later when it starts to suck you sit there and think about all the stuff you could've done instead of playing Runeland of Shitpicklequest.

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 17:54:05

Only if you aint got shit else to do.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 18:00:14

Last year, I was convinced for months that my Azn roommate was on the brink of death becasue of his gaming. Kid would wake up from his small nightly coma in the mid to late afternoon, play for almost literally the entire time he was awake, and then slip back into a mini-coma. He would usually eat once or so a day and it was almost always onion rings and/or chicken strips.

MMO's can be some serious shit in the hands of stupid people.

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 18:04:58

Yes, I consider MMO's legitimate addictions. They may not be nearly as harmful as drugs or alcohol, but the virtual-social world that you experience from them can be addicting - especially to someone who is not engaged with the real social world. This may be why those who play games like World of Warcraft for an extended period of time are perceived as antisocial.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9

"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature

Response to Is a MMO a legitimate addiction? 2012-03-05 18:08:22

At 1 minute ago, Silverdust wrote: Yes, I consider MMO's legitimate addictions. They may not be nearly as harmful as drugs or alcohol, but the virtual-social world that you experience from them can be addicting - especially to someone who is not engaged with the real social world. This may be why those who play games like World of Warcraft for an extended period of time are perceived as antisocial.

Oh my god this. One of my good friends never stops playing WoW. There are times he skips showers for days and never wants to hang out when he comes up with some excuse so he can keep playing. Not to mention the " online relationships "/

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature