New Topic Respond to this Topic
PSP-Monkey
PSP-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
"Copying" art/animation styles? Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:45 AM Reply

I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to know how people feel regarding seeing an animation that has a style and tone similar to other popular animations. I don't want to say who it is but I have a specific well known author in mind and his art has a very specific style to it. When I draw in Flash and think of animating, I can't think of it in any other way but this style.

Think of it like Egoraptors stuff -- tons of people are "copying" this style of animation although I'm aware Egoraptor didn't invent it or anything. He just made it popular.

Is it ok to work in a similar style to someone else? I have my own idea and script but the artistic direction is the same. I'd hate to work hard on this then submit it, and have reviews say "You were trying to rip off _____" etc.

Croire
Croire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to "Copying" art/animation styles? Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 12:02 PM Reply

You have to start somewhere. How do you naturally draw? Animate the same way you naturally draw. You're undoubtedly going to be influenced by your favorite animators and artists. Just try to make it your own.

Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to "Copying" art/animation styles? Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

if your material is good you have nothing to worry about, ill only review with stuff like "ripoff" if your material was bad

seriously, humakind development and learning and shit and pretty much anything is done by copying and its not necesarily bad, shit its never bad except for business, just think about it.

ama gon chill

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to "Copying" art/animation styles? Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Just use the style you feel more comfortable with, even if you are copying it. No one started with a unique style all of a sudden, that comes from many years of practice and experience.

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to "Copying" art/animation styles? Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:19 PM Reply

The whole concept of style is an illusion, you shouldn't worry about it too much. Even if you are heavily influenced by a particular style, if it's the way you naturally draw, then it's your style. No two people draw a line the same way.

People with popular styles like egoraptor didn't start out thinking, "I'll draw like this because it will apeal to everyone!". It's just the natural way that he draws.

Even if you are purposely aping somebody else's style, eventually you'll branch out and discover your own way.

BBS Signature