New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 09:39:59 Reply

Hey guys, since I've exhausted google I fancied I'd give you guys a shout.

So I'm looking for a compressor. But not just ANY compressor. Oh lawd, no. I'm looking for a really dirty, distorting compressor. It comes from a session I had at college where they recently got a Fairchild 660 Compressor plugin on Protools HD setup. We had recorded some acoustic bass and for a joke I thought I'd slam it through this new compressor, max out every knob and sidechain it to the hi-hat or the toms or something.

Except when I turned the input up and threshold down it sounded awesome. Like clipping, but different. We rolled it back so it was only gently distorting and..beauty. And I've wanted one ever since, or something like it. None of my current compressors - Major Tom, Rocket, KVR Classic Comp etc. had this sort of beligerent character to them. SO, give me what you got please and thank you!

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 10:10:30 Reply

Ooo Ooooo. Use Red Skull. Lol, it really isn't COMPRESSION, but it sure as hell is dirty.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 15:00:01 Reply

You might want to try VOS plugins. Those are Windows VST only, but there might be some way to get those to work in other systems.
Density mkII -cool compressor, very inspired from Fairchild.
NastyVCS - a virtual console strip with crunchy pre-amp saturation and a brickwall safety limiter in the output stage.
FerricTDS - tape dynamics simulator, can get very dirty if you push it.
All here:
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/
and the new thingy
ThrillseekerLA - a digital stereo leveling amplifier with truly analog qualities.

Also, Rough Rider by Audiodamage can be helpful.
This one works as 32/64-bit VST and AudioUnit under OS X and VST 2.4 for Windows, both 32- and 64-bit versions.
http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/product.php?pid=ADF002

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 16:48:30 Reply

Isn't that basically what fruity fast dist is? I've used that to get the sound you're describing.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 20:02:15 Reply

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses so far, I've been looking into them but I'm heading to bed and I'll do a little more R n D tomorow.

On a note on the Tape Saturation thing. Ferox is also a free VST and well worth a look. I hadn't known of any Transformer Saturation Vst's that weren't by Slate before today, so that's interesting. Still have half a mind to wire one up in a box and just hammer signals through it!

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-02 23:59:14 Reply

I got a DBX unit in my rack that's pretty shit

FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-03 08:21:49 Reply

You could try using TSClip and just whack up the input level, might give the sound you're looking for.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-03 09:46:20 Reply

At 48 minutes ago, FuckSandwich wrote: You could try using TSClip and just whack up the input level, might give the sound you're looking for.

Will look into this too!

Major props to Sorohanro too for the link to Variety Of Sound, he's doing some really interesting stuff in emulating audio non linearities. His article on IM distortion in particular is interesting, as opinions on the nature of it vary (though the false correlation with Aliasing some people imply is a big part of that issue). Without Inter-Modular and Harmonic Distortion, guitars would sound pretty lame. But with it on a Jazz Piano part the harmonies become muddled!

I already am a fan of his Boot MK II EQ, easily one of the tastiest EQ's I've ever used. And that LA compressor is fucking awesome, exactly what I was looking for! As a certain guy in a youtube video said "I be slamming that thing so hot that Biggy Smalls and Snoop Dogg called me from their graves and told me to turn it the fuck down!". Just kidding, sorta.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-03-03 10:06:05 Reply

At 19 minutes ago, Chris-V2 wrote: Major props to Sorohanro too for the link to Variety Of Sound.

Glad to be helpful.

Studenets
Studenets
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to I need a dirty compressor! 2012-04-04 01:01:49 Reply

Sorry i'm late but let me fill you in on a secret:
http://www.roughdiamondproductions.com/whiteLABEL/?r=bolster isers

WhiteLABEL Bolsterisers. Damn these thing can be pumpy, gritty, trashy, squashy, just plain gross!

I used it on a track i'm releasing soon