New Topic Respond to this Topic
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 09:25 AM Reply

How many of you know about/watched this show?

It's about Sherlock Holmes, but a modern version of him. Well, not really modern version of him, but he uses modern technology as it's time is the present.
I recommend watching it, it's a really clever series and each episode is great.
The are two seasons as of now, both containing 3 episodes. And each episode lasts 90 minutes.

The point of this thread?
To make you aware that this show exists and to recommend it. Highly.
And of course, to discuss it. Did you like it as much as i did? What was your favorite episode?

More information

Sherlock (bbc Series)

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Natick wrote: Sounds interesting. Are there any Guy Ritchie fist-fight scenes?

No. The emphasis is on the characters/drama/mystery and suspense. Not really the action.

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 22 minutes ago, FairSquare wrote: No. The emphasis is on the characters/drama/mystery and suspense. Not really the action.

So the opposite of the Robert Downey version?

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 22 minutes ago, Ejit wrote: Honestly I think it's rubbish. I quite liked the pilot, but thought the second episode was one of the worst things I'd seen. Watched (was subjected to) some of the second series, which I thought was just as bad.

Not really a Sherlock Holmes fan though to be fair.

Rubbish? Really?
This is the first time i've heard someone say that.
You have the right the have an opinion and if you find it rubbish that's ok.. i just do see how you could not like this.
I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan either, didn't know much about him. But i am a Sherlock fan now.

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 10:13 AM Reply

At 6 minutes ago, Ryanson wrote:
At 22 minutes ago, FairSquare wrote: No. The emphasis is on the characters/drama/mystery and suspense. Not really the action.
So the opposite of the Robert Downey version?

I don't think you should compare the Robert Downey version and the BBC version.
Some aspects are the same. And some things are completely different.
Although i do think the BBC series are more.. clever and witty. With British humour.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

They've shown the first season/series of 3 episodes here in the US on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS, I thought it was quite good. I've been a fan of the Doyle stories since reading them as a teen and I feel that this series does justice to the characters that he created. I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: They've shown the first season/series of 3 episodes here in the US on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS, I thought it was quite good. I've been a fan of the Doyle stories since reading them as a teen and I feel that this series does justice to the characters that he created. I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series.

Ah, cool! :)
I think you won't be disappointed with second season. I thought the 2nd episode of season 2 was especially good.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

A while ago I heard from gagsy there's an american version coming similar to the SH movies of today. And it's modern times too.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

Just have to wait a couple more years for the next series.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 23 minutes ago, II2none wrote: A while ago I heard from gagsy there's an american version coming similar to the SH movies of today. And it's modern times too.

Still the case, and they are making some rather interesting developments..

Not sure if it'll work but if it does, well I would say Mazel Tov but I believe that actually means 'good luck', but it sounds better as a congratulatory term like 'well done'. So I guess bravo will have to do.

Anyway I just adore the BBC Sherlock. It helps a lot that Benedict Cumberbatch fits the role so perfectly. I look forward to 2013, or 2014.. Whenever we get series 3.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 13 minutes ago, Gagsy wrote:
At 23 minutes ago, II2none wrote: A while ago I heard from gagsy there's an american version coming similar to the SH movies of today. And it's modern times too.
Still the case, and they are making some rather interesting developments..

A woman as Dr, Watson? I don't see how that will work..
Although, i won't judge it 'till i see it of course.

Not sure if it'll work but if it does, well I would say Mazel Tov but I believe that actually means 'good luck', but it sounds better as a congratulatory term like 'well done'. So I guess bravo will have to do.

Anyway I just adore the BBC Sherlock. It helps a lot that Benedict Cumberbatch fits the role so perfectly. I look forward to 2013, or 2014.. Whenever we get series 3.

Yeah, Benedict really nails it. It seems like this role was written for him. And overall, the casting is great.
I look forward to the third season too. Do you have a favourite episode?

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

The final episode of series 2 was one of the best TV episodes I have ever seen of anything... possibly even the best. And the rest of the previous 5 episodes were pretty fantastic as well, with an excellent blend of intelligence, humour and action, but that last episode was on a planet all of its own.

Can't wait for series 3.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

At 15 minutes ago, Sentio wrote: The final episode of series 2 was one of the best TV episodes I have ever seen of anything... possibly even the best. And the rest of the previous 5 episodes were pretty fantastic as well, with an excellent blend of intelligence, humour and action, but that last episode was on a planet all of its own.

Can't wait for series 3.

I kind of agree, although i think i loved the second episode of season 2 just as much.
Hmm, ok, the final episode was indeed a tab better.
Just talking about it makes me want to see more.. but there isn't more to see.
It'll be a long wait for the third season..

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 37 minutes ago, FairSquare wrote:

Its a bold move alright and one sure to 'waggle a few eyebrows'. If anything it'll get people talking about the show more and then maybe more peoplewatching the show. I already am much more interested in this now just out of curiosity.

Yeah, Benedict really nails it. It seems like this role was written for him. And overall, the casting is great.
I look forward to the third season too. Do you have a favourite episode?

Honestly tough. I enjoyed the first and third episodes of series 1 a hell of a lot. The second does drag in places. As for the second series I can't pick a bad spot really, like Sentio above though I have to admit that the finale was out of this world. I mean, my god, was there any finer start than that of Moriarty wearing the crown jewels? And it seemed to explode from there. Truly great television.

Moment of the show though? Deerstalker.

How about you?

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Gagsy wrote:
At 37 minutes ago, FairSquare wrote:
Its a bold move alright and one sure to 'waggle a few eyebrows'. If anything it'll get people talking about the show more and then maybe more people watching the show. I already am much more interested in this now just out of curiosity.

Yeah if you ask me it's a stunt to draw in more traffic when the show premieres. I mean Lucy lui as Watson doesn't even sound or look right. But I could be wrong I guess if done right a woman version could make a better Watson.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

I bet its soo dark and edgy

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:36 PM Reply

God damn i love this series. It is absolutely fantastic... So much subtle humor... My favorite.......

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
IxAmxLyss
IxAmxLyss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 3/1/12 09:25 AM, FairSquare wrote: How many of you know about/watched this show?

It's about Sherlock Holmes, but a modern version of him. Well, not really modern version of him, but he uses modern technology as it's time is the present.
I recommend watching it, it's a really clever series and each episode is great.
The are two seasons as of now, both containing 3 episodes. And each episode lasts 90 minutes.

The point of this thread?
To make you aware that this show exists and to recommend it. Highly.
And of course, to discuss it. Did you like it as much as i did? What was your favorite episode?

More information

I'm a huge fan of this show ;A; The acting (not to mention, Benedict Cumberbatch <3), the screenwriting, the plot line, it's all so excellently done! So gorgeous <3 Defiantly gave the original Sherlock Holmes a great deal of credit.

"I hate being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room." Sherlock (BBC), S2 E1

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:13 AM Reply

Not seen it. I keep meaning to as I've heard it's good, but I just... haven't. To be fair a lot of what I've heard is from squealing fangirls who'll proclaim anything as wonderful if it has homo-erotic undertones.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"
"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 10:02 AM, IxAmxLyss wrote:
I'm a huge fan of this show ;A; The acting (not to mention, Benedict Cumberbatch <3), the screenwriting, the plot line, it's all so excellently done! So gorgeous <3 Defiantly gave the original Sherlock Holmes a great deal of credit.

I like you :)

At 8/25/12 10:13 AM, Trambamboline wrote:
squealing fangirls who'll proclaim anything as wonderful if it has homo-erotic undertones.

if it has homo-erotic undertones

IF.

Shut up Sam. YOU DON'T GET IT.

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 10:16 AM, Gagsy wrote: if it has homo-erotic undertones

IF.

Shut up Sam. YOU DON'T GET IT.

Hey I didn't say Sherlock DOESN'T have homo-erotic undertones. I haven't seen it so I can't say if it does or doesn't. I'm just saying most of the praise for the show is from girls who'll love anything if there's a hint of one guy liking another, which means I take it with a pinch of salt.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:51 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 10:26 AM, Trambamboline wrote:
Hey I didn't say Sherlock DOESN'T have homo-erotic undertones. I haven't seen it so I can't say if it does or doesn't. I'm just saying most of the praise for the show is from girls who'll love anything if there's a hint of one guy liking another, which means I take it with a pinch of salt.

Are you saying that us females who happen to like a little homo-erotic subtext with our television viewing are that blinded by the hot maybe-gayness that we ignore any bad writing that our show gives us???

Sherlock (bbc Series)

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 10:51 AM, Gagsy wrote: Are you saying that us females who happen to like a little homo-erotic subtext with our television viewing are that blinded by the hot maybe-gayness that we ignore any bad writing that our show gives us???

Hmm, from time to time, perhaps. ;P Much more prolific in fanfiction readers though.

Also: Hey I like that show! In a completely un-homo-loving way. Honestly it's mostly for the car, the soundtrack and... fuck it I can never remember his character in Supernatural... The guy who played badger in Firefly.

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

I love this series. The finale was amazing, one of the best cliffhangers of all time (up against the whole Universe falling apart in Doctor Who, also written by the legendary Steven Moffat) and I really can't wait to see what happens in the next series. My guess is that it airs in Autumn 2013.

At 3/2/12 12:34 PM, BumFodder wrote: I bet its soo dark and edgy

It manages to balance humour with the darker elements.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 11:51 AM, Trambamboline wrote:
Hmm, from time to time, perhaps. ;P Much more prolific in fanfiction readers though.

OH NOW YOU ARE SPOILING FOR A FIGHT! >:(

Also: Hey I like that show! In a completely un-homo-loving way. Honestly it's mostly for the car, the soundtrack and... fuck it I can never remember his character in Supernatural... The guy who played badger in Firefly.

Haha, its a good show. Back in like Season 1-5. Now it is just kept churning for the fangirls and I can't complain really cause I am basically one of them. What do I mean basically? I am one :(

Crowley! Mark Sheppard is the king of sci-fi show appearances. He was in a great episode of X-Files many moons ago. Needs to make it onto Dr Who to complete the set =P

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 01:34 PM, Gagsy wrote: OH NOW YOU ARE SPOILING FOR A FIGHT! >:(

Aren't I always? :P

Haha, its a good show. Back in like Season 1-5. Now it is just kept churning for the fangirls and I can't complain really cause I am basically one of them. What do I mean basically? I am one :(

You most certainly are. :P But even I still watch it. I liked the some of the stuff with the leviathans.

Crowley! Mark Sheppard is the king of sci-fi show appearances. He was in a great episode of X-Files many moons ago. Needs to make it onto Dr Who to complete the set =P

... I can't tell if you're being serious or not, 'cause I don't know if you watch a lot of "New Who" but he WAS in the show. Playing an American, weirdly enough.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 01:43 PM, Trambamboline wrote:
Aren't I always? :P

Apparently so =P

You most certainly are. :P But even I still watch it. I liked the some of the stuff with the leviathans.

Yeah the music has taken a downhill turn though. It was beyond badass some of the earlier stuff they did with the soundtrack. And yeah I actually liked 'Dick'. And what a great setup now for Season 8!

... I can't tell if you're being serious or not, 'cause I don't know if you watch a lot of "New Who" but he WAS in the show. Playing an American, weirdly enough.

I'm getting my shows confused again. There is something big he said he needs to go on to complete the set. I forgot. Thought it was Dr Who. Not watched any to be honest, yet.

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 01:54 PM, Gagsy wrote: Yeah the music has taken a downhill turn though. It was beyond badass some of the earlier stuff they did with the soundtrack. And yeah I actually liked 'Dick'. And what a great setup now for Season 8!

The thing I quite liked was that they didn't know anything about our world to begin with, but they didn't just lumber about being all "Rawr we are monsters, what am cars? RAWR!", they were intelligent enough to actually learn shit before they started trying to take over. And yeah at the end of the last episode I was sitting there all "HOLY SHIT!" I won't lie. Seems like there's a lot of stuff they could do in the next series.

I'm getting my shows confused again. There is something big he said he needs to go on to complete the set. I forgot. Thought it was Dr Who. Not watched any to be honest, yet.

Wait, you've not watched ANY? Not even the David Tennant stuff?

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 02:55 PM, Trambamboline wrote:
The thing I quite liked was that they didn't know anything about our world to begin with, but they didn't just lumber about being all "Rawr we are monsters, what am cars? RAWR!", they were intelligent enough to actually learn shit before they started trying to take over. And yeah at the end of the last episode I was sitting there all "HOLY SHIT!" I won't lie. Seems like there's a lot of stuff they could do in the next series.

They COULD do yeah. The problem is they'll probably just spend 1/2 episodes in purgatory and then the usual format will resume. I would just love for it to be a half season arc or certainly have 5/6 episodes there. Could be really interesting to have episodes with Sam literally on his own (no Dean, Castiel, Bobby, etc) and trying to find answers to get Dean out while also helping people he might come across who need him to get rid of ghosts/demons. Be really good to do him try to handle it on his own and obviously struggle without his brother And well with Dean and Castiel in purgatory, the possibilities are endless there (as are the homo-erotic possibilities ;) )

Wait, you've not watched ANY? Not even the David Tennant stuff?

No. I'm terrible :(

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Sherlock (bbc Series) Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 03:27 PM, Gagsy wrote: They COULD do yeah. The problem is they'll probably just spend 1/2 episodes in purgatory and then the usual format will resume. I would just love for it to be a half season arc or certainly have 5/6 episodes there. Could be really interesting to have episodes with Sam literally on his own (no Dean, Castiel, Bobby, etc) and trying to find answers to get Dean out while also helping people he might come across who need him to get rid of ghosts/demons. Be really good to do him try to handle it on his own and obviously struggle without his brother And well with Dean and Castiel in purgatory, the possibilities are endless there (as are the homo-erotic possibilities ;) )

I do love it whenever they separate. I just hate all the angst that comes with it, because they always choose to split up. It could be fun to have Sam on his own actually WANTING dean back, rather than being all "Fuck dean in the eye socket! Oh derp I guess we've got to work together now. But I still hate you, grrr!" which they've done what, like four times now?

And whilst I think pandering to the fans by actually having Dean boink Castiel would pretty much kill the show for me, I have to admit if they were gonna do it, now's the time. Trapped alone together in a hostile place? Having to rely on each other more than ever just to survive? Scared for your life every moment you're awake? That's a pretty tense situation. Though it could be sort of interesting. I don't think they've ever had an angel in a relationship with a human before have they?

No. I'm terrible :(

Okay, not watching Game of Thrones? Acceptable, if barely. Watching Dr Who and not liking it for whatever reason? I guess that'd be your opinion and I couldn't really fault you for it. But not watching it at all?! That's fucking sacrilege, woman! D=<

BBS Signature