Respond to this Topic
Der-Ubermensch
Der-Ubermensch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:26 PM Reply

Gotta love Canada! Piracy here is fully legal, and if some money grubbing american producer wants to sue... the government curtly tells them to $%#^ themselves up the ass. CD's here are ALL under the 15$ (Can) mark (for a single cd, that is).

MAYORMCHEESE
MAYORMCHEESE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:41 PM Reply

I don't think you can directly blame bands like air or whoever the hell you listen to for shit like this. Record companies usually put this in without the band even knowing it. Roadrunner did something like this with Fear Factory's Digimortal album and the band was pissed about it.

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature
McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:44 PM Reply

someones had a bad day, huh?

BBS Signature
Mr-Fluffykins
Mr-Fluffykins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:45 PM Reply

TOm OMG PIRACY sucks....here in good old canada we can download all teh music we want without some gay Riaa come to get us..

LSD!

BBS Signature
FLoyDiAnFoX
FLoyDiAnFoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:49 PM Reply

I like the beta band they are cool! i'm not surprised they're the only one that worked!

Peter-II
Peter-II
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 04:05 PM Reply

I think maybe you just need to get a CD player, Tom.

subpar
subpar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 04:31 PM Reply

Hm...

That reminds me of an annoying experience I had. This isn't a not-a-fan-of-x-band-anymore issue. It's more of a Sony-you-sons-of-bitches issue. I bought a CD player that said right on it, "CD-R/RW" and the box said "compatible with rewritable CDs". I made a rewritable CD, and it didn't work. I actually then went to my big expensive kick-ass stereo in my room and it didn't work in there either. Okay, maybe the CD-RW was just screwed up. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony manufactured that too.

Fuck Sony anyway because their Playstation 2 fucked up when I tried to watch a Kill Bill DVD.

And fuck the RIAA for obvious reasons.

Fuck KaZaA for ... whatever reason all the files I download have static. Maybe that's the RIAA's fault too. I smell sabotage. Then again I'm extremely paranoid.

No Longer a Fan...

I am not responsible for the content of the post above.

BBS Signature
Nail
Nail
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 04:45 PM Reply

well, i think this whole piracy prevention deal is a way for the recording industries to stay on their power trip and have authority in how people listen to music, there weren't lawsuits and certain whiny metallica drummers to be a pain in the ass when people recorded music on tapes at home, so why is piracy such a big deal? a test run at harvard actually proves that for every 500 times an album is downloading, the record company loses one consecutive sale, thats not a very harsh ratio, yet 12 year olds are being sued 5000 bucks for having 'stolen' music.

and the bands that do what they can to prevent piracy are fucking poser assholes. before the internet some bads said they were 'all about the music' but when it comes to their sales going down by a tenth of a percent......then it's personal....

Poop-Doop

mattpravda
mattpravda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 05:38 PM Reply

Capitalist Conspiracy

commies-suck
commies-suck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Damn that sucks! almost $20 AMERICAN! heh well small victory here in Canada, our courts say its perfectly legal to swap music files over kazaa, imesh etc... so the recording industry can go straight to hell because I can guarantee they wont be getting much money from canada...

Nail
Nail
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 06:13 PM Reply

canada is a much better place politically, but no offense or anything...but its pretty boring up there.

Poop-Doop

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 06:13 PM Reply

whoa holy cow that's odd!

aside from that, aren't mp3s legal as long as you own the CD? they should allow you to rip mp3s from it because of that fact. For people with portable mp3 players they should be entitled to do so!

Nail
Nail
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 5/12/04 06:13 PM, DanPaladin wrote: For people with portable mp3 players they should be entitled to do so!

yeah. i just spent 300 on a nice peice of equipment, i dont want to go home and do more buying to put my mp3 player to good use.

Poop-Doop

rancid-alan
rancid-alan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 06:19 PM Reply

Heh, that happened to my friend, he couldn't listen to his CD either.

ERPMISTER
ERPMISTER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 06:45 PM Reply

ahhh. The art of prevention. It makes me sick!

sdcceo
sdcceo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:41 PM, n00bskvnk wrote: people in the music industry make so much money already, they're all a bunch of jerks for being so up tight about piracy.

Actually, the recording label make most of the money, the arteist is recieving some where from wo to three dollars a cd. (and at $15 a cd you can see that the record label gets most of it.) the reason the artist tries to prevent piracy is they only make money when they sell sh*t loads of cds. the record label wants to prevent piracy only because they need to own their stretch hummers instead of leasing them...

wing462
wing462
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 08:12 PM Reply

yay! go beta band!

No Longer a Fan...

Parks2
Parks2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 09:03 PM Reply

That blows- As I'm a fan of Zero7 and Air, looks like I'll be hitting up Limewire to try and piece together the CDs

ffeineandsugar
ffeineandsugar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 09:53 PM Reply

I buy mine 99 cents a copy on Itunes for a lot of it. CDs? Vinyl in 3 years. A new business model is here.

Now if only we could get the bands to agree to post there. :-/

JCoke
JCoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 10:27 PM Reply

You are a very wise person tom, be like a garbageman... dump the trash.

mattymetro
mattymetro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 10:58 PM Reply

I dont support artists anymore by buying CDs.. I havent bought one in years... I go to a lot of shows though.. fuck the record industry.. I dont care.. I get all of my music for free.. so does everyone else.. I feel sorry for real bands that dont promote themselfs independantly. Their loss.. a lot of kick ass bands have been doing thier producton without the lables.. and its working

drew146
drew146
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 11:08 PM Reply

Are you all gonna stop just talking about it? TAKE SOME FUCKING ACTION! if you hate how the record companies and RIAA are doing all this shit, take action, buy one cd, copy then hand out the copies in front of the music store, you can't get in trouble for selling pirated music if you give them out, goto http://downhillbattle.org and get some of their stickers, just stop talking and take some FUCKING ACTION!

RageOfOrder
RageOfOrder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:38 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Tonight I bought three CDs... The new Zero Seven ($17.99), the new Air ($18.99), and the new Beta Band ($14.99).

Average price for CD's in my town: $28.99 CDN

I come back to the loft and pop in Zero Seven. In their lame attempt to prevent piracy, they don't let me access the tracks directly - the CD instead launches a player to play them for me.

My Taproot CD does that

Thankfully, the Beta Band worked. Not only was it the only reasonably priced CD (if you can call $14.99 reasonable)

I would call $14.99 a miracle here...

Hence, I download 95% of my music. I rarely buy cds, and when I do, it's a band I enjoy and feel is worth the $25 I gotta shell out for an hour of music...

LeatherQueen
LeatherQueen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 01:49 AM Reply

$14.99 isn't what I'd call reasonable. Neither is $18.99 or anything in that range. I'd love to pay artists for their effort and that part of their souls that they pour out via whatever medium they express themselves in, but in this instance I know most of the points go to different pencil-pushers and not the artists.

As for the rest, I play my music on a stereo...

aznaifolyfe
aznaifolyfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 02:43 AM Reply

we have all these problems cause we live in big country's and big civilizations, i long for the time when we lived in "small" tribes with no problems beside drought or something like that

LeatherQueen
LeatherQueen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:48 PM, Jen_the_Great wrote: I refuse to buy any copy protected cds. If they're going to make me pay, I should at least be allowed to make a copy for my computer.

Making you pay for something they put forth the effort to make? What'll they think of next?

Hippy-Flip
Hippy-Flip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 02:58 AM Reply

i admit it, i have Kazaa and the piracy stuff is so annoying. I can't dl any new songs really because of the piracy protection shit. I still buy cd's and I'm sure cd sales haven't gone down since the days of Napster and Kazaa. I guess the point of protectors is so that the bands can make money, but if they are obviously big enough to put a protector on it then they have a lot of money and don't need one.

Hydecka
Hydecka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 03:06 AM Reply

Stupid Greedy bands, its just music, you act like no one else can sing liike you. Be happy you getting money for your music and stop worrying about people putting it on their pc. Greedy people die alone.

I can do t3h voices. Lots of em.LOTS OF THEM!! ^^;;
OMFG GOOGLE HYDECKA!!

BBS Signature
Thundercranky
Thundercranky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 07:51 AM Reply

W0W Thats cheap!

Goddess
Goddess
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 13th, 2004 @ 08:20 AM Reply

well if you hate these bands then LISTEN TO KORN!!!!!!!