Respond to this Topic
HeinousDude
HeinousDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: For a long time now, I've wanted to see the entire recording industry come crashing down into bankruptcy... And tonight is no exception.

Tom:

I'm from SD. Which part are you staying? Usually I just buy my CD's from Target, which has a store in Mira Mesa Mission Valley and around Clairmont. The Warehouse also has stores around Del Mar.

For a decent shopping mall Try Mission Valley and UTC.

s1nt3ch
s1nt3ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:43 AM Reply

You should go to Blue Meanie records in El Cajon probably only a 20 min trip from where you are. They have a pretty good slection of cd's you won't find @ best buy or borders. Also I've noticed a trend in best buy sunday circulars i've noticed that all of the new cds coming out are only like 8$. WTF? Is thid because of all this new crappy anti copy shit?... could be.....

BBS Signature
Dogmega
Dogmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:45 AM Reply

Fuck cd's. They can't do much about piracy these days anyways.
It's better buying SACD's and DVD-Audio discs anyway.
They sound better.

I DON'T WANNA SOUND GAY OR NUTHIN', BUT THAT SHIT IS HOT!!

BBS Signature
ICY-HURR
ICY-HURR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:38 PM, TomFulp wrote:
So congrats Air and Zero Seven, you've lost a fan. I don't care if you are trying to prevent piracy, you are being dipshits about it and I will never buy any of your crap again. As for Beta Ban... Still a fan. Thanks, guys!

Well zero seven and Air lost a fan that will lose more than just a few more fans.

Check me out!
"Of course lifes a bitch, because if it was a slut, it would be too easy"

BBS Signature
SoulOfTheDarkness
SoulOfTheDarkness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:55 AM Reply

its a simple idea, as long as piracy exists, comapanys are going to go further to protect the music, going futher means exicuting more complicated coding, the more comple the coding, the easier it is to do something wrong, if something goes wrong, then it may kill a bands fan base entirely, basicly the more complicated the protection get the less people will like it, and people who pirate music are going to find away around it anyway, and besides theres the digital millenium act (I belive thats what it is) that quite clearly states people who buy the cd's are allowed to make copys for personal use, so if your throwing mounds of anti piracy software into a cd, unless I'm mistaken thier actually infringing on laws :-P, also, the more anti piracy crap they put on, the less room there will be for music. and what happens to little old joe blow who wants to create a backup cd so that nothing happenes to the cd he payed a good amount of money for? the more they go towards anti-piracy the more customers will be dis-satisfied, and the less they will make in sales so whats this going to lead to? perhaps it will lead a state where any group that puts out something on a cd or dvd get so paranoid they cause a collapse of the industry.... I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I personally think some of the lengths they are going to for anti piracy is just stupid and insane. I swear if something like that ever happened to me, I wouldnt ever by anything by that band ever again......

iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:57 AM Reply

tssk when are music companies going to learn music piracy is a good thing.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
SoulOfTheDarkness
SoulOfTheDarkness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 12:58 AM Reply

o and another thing I find ammusing, is that every computer has the ability to pirate music!! all you need to do is run the music player and a recording program at the same time you plug the line out into the line in and bag, its just like dubbing an old tape :-P

BaconMask
BaconMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Oh that's great... Now the industry is treating people who actually buy CDs like fucking thieves. Big incentive for me to go buy new discs.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 5/12/04 12:43 AM, HeinousDude wrote: I'm from SD. Which part are you staying? Usually I just buy my CD's from Target, which has a store in Mira Mesa Mission Valley and around Clairmont. The Warehouse also has stores around Del Mar.

For a decent shopping mall Try Mission Valley and UTC.

I'm in Little Italy. I go out to the Gas Lamp area a lot... Jamba Juice and Bassam in particular. :)

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
calculon000
calculon000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Voice Actor
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:24 AM Reply

If I were you, I would pirate it just out of spite.

Here's what you do to pirate any CD, regardless of what shitty software and pathetic attempt they employ to prevent you from doing so:

1. Get a portable Cd player, or any CD player with a headphone Jack.

2. Get one of those chords that is used to hook up the subwoofer of a decent computer speaker set to the computer (Any chord that fits in the headphone jack and is the same on both ends)

3. Go into your computer's sound settings, and make sure that the microphone will record into whatever sofeware you have that can record from the computers microphone and save the sound file.

4. Hook one end of the sound cord into the CD player and the other end into the microphone port in the back of your computer. (Where you plug the microphone into the computer)

5. Press play on the CD player and record like itwas the microphone.

There, a completely foolproof way to pirate music.

calculon000
calculon000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Voice Actor
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 5/12/04 12:58 AM, SoulOfTheDarkness wrote: o and another thing I find ammusing, is that every computer has the ability to pirate music!! all you need to do is run the music player and a recording program at the same time you plug the line out into the line in and bag, its just like dubbing an old tape :-P

oops, lol, i missed this post.

HeinousDude
HeinousDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:44 AM Reply

At 5/12/04 01:22 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm in Little Italy. I go out to the Gas Lamp area a lot... Jamba Juice and Bassam in particular. :)

Dang, I rarely go downtown. So close, yet so far away :( Yeah, Jamba Juice is tasty, and if you havn't you need to try In-N-Out burgers.

Knives
Knives
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:54 AM Reply

Fucking anti piracy shit.

Dont they know that we will always be one step ahead of them?

Tom nexttime....bit torrent..

JohnnyTheLostSoul
JohnnyTheLostSoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 01:58 AM Reply

Ive never even heard of those bands before but i still think it sucks that u didnt get to listen to them that why i never play music on my comp i dont trust my comp.

No Longer a Fan...

WhoaOutOfControl
WhoaOutOfControl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:00 AM Reply

Alas, it's like they WANT you to DL music. DumbASSES.

SubVision
SubVision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:02 AM Reply

yea I just jack cdz from Borderz. Haha!

Jun-Kyoki
Jun-Kyoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:06 AM Reply

To my knowledge, and I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, if you own a CD, then you're entitled to store the audio files from the CD on your computer to use as back-up copies, in case the CD becomes damaged, etc. I can't figure out for the life of me why an artist would want to prevent you from doing this, other than the fact that they're a bunch of fucking money grubbers and want you to actually dish out more money to buy another CD if your original copy gets damaged. Its pretty fucking stupid, if you ask me, that they're this worried about piracy that they actually have to configure a CD to not even work in your computer. If artists really want to make some good money, they need to quit sitting around, relying entirely about record sales, and instead, go out, play a few shows, go out and make some money like a real band, and quit being all paranoid about this piracy bullshit already.

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:16 AM Reply

You fool Tom that has nothing to do with copyprotection, it's called an "Enhanched CD" or Audio and Data CD. All you have to do to encode the .cda files to .mp3 is open your windows media player or MUSICMATCH Jukebox. Enhanched CD's have been around for years, this is just a way to add specail features like music videos in CD with alot of extra free space, and adds to another resone to buy cds.

I buy my cds 3 for $32 with tax and shipping, plus last year i both 36 cds for $280 canadian. Music is cheap and this was before the recording studios lowered there prices. In my opinion buying mp3's online is a rip-off, in canada it cost 99cents to $1.20 per song, for me it's cheaper to buy the cd, and mp3's suck, mp3's work on the compression princepal what you can't hear is removed, just like jpeg what you can't see is removed. So why buy a mp3 at half-quality of the real cd for dollar when i can buy the cd for $7 plus, if it's just one song or if i want to try out the ablum i can download it for free. (file sharing is legal in canada)

Aasha
Aasha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:17 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:42 PM, Radant wrote: thats very odd. i say you report the CD manufacturers to the Better Business Bureau :) take 'em to court and get your money back.

It'd be cheaper to get a CD player then to go to court xD. At least I would think.

sirevil
sirevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:38 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I come back to the loft and pop in Zero Seven. In their lame attempt to prevent piracy, they don't let me access the tracks directly - the CD instead launches a player to play them for me.

I know a way around that, get iTunes

Indifference
Indifference
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:42 AM Reply

wow tom is a fan of the beta band. they are one of my favorite bands. how is the new cd? i need to pick that up soon.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 02:43 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:42 PM, Rabid-Echidna wrote: I was aware that they were coming up with new ideas, but making shoddy programs that play the encrypted CD songs is just a load of crap. Did they not even think to check whether or not it would actually work on the computer before they released the CDs? I think they deserve to lose fans.

You mean, I think they deserve to be SHOT, surely?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:01 AM Reply

Yeah,that sucks.Blame it all on the producers though...

mac5
mac5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:13 AM Reply

At 5/11/04 11:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: something...

Good for you, Tom. You don't need crappy CDs that don't work. Maybe you should get a macintosh. I've got a mac. There is actually a way to get past the copywritten CDs. You put it into iMovie, and export it as a movie. Simple. Then, you put it into flash, and laugh at the stupid attempts to beat a macintosh. It really works. Serious. I have never had problems with a CD that doesn't work on my mac. It even tells the genre, and the artist of the track you're listening to. Pretty neat, huh?

aferajeoje
aferajeoje
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:33 AM Reply

tom, it isnt the bands that are putting those protections on; its the record labels. check to see what labels Air and Zero Seven are on, and i bet theyre one of the major labels, or a label that is owned by one of the major labels.
if you're interested, check out www.downhillbattle.com. its an organization i think u might be interested in. im a musician/music major and i can tell you that Air and Zero Seven are not the ones to blame.

Nylo
Nylo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Audiophile
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:40 AM Reply

I hear ya, man. It's part of the recording industry's plan to get rid of people playing copied CDs. The funny thing is that they want the CDs to play only on "registered" players, meaning that CDs are highly likely to not work correctly in car/suv stereo systems too if they don't fix their shit up, a lot like what happened with you and your PC. Godamn money grubbers.

I must lollerskate on this matter.

mac5
mac5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 03:52 AM Reply

I'm tellin ya, get a mac!!

GET A MACINTOSH!!!

Wow. I used all of the tags. Neato.

Antipode
Antipode
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 04:18 AM Reply

At 5/12/04 03:52 AM, mac5 wrote: I'm tellin ya, get a mac!!

Or just use Linux on existing hardware and save an assload of money.

As for the copy protection shite, I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this as I just jumped in here, but if you look at the bottom of the CD you should be able to see two visibly different sections of the disc. There's a reason for this - one section is audio, the other is data, which you want to disable. The section along the outer section is the data section. Stick the sticky part of a post-it note on it. Don't have to block the whole thing, just an inch-long strip or two covering only parts of the data section. Voila, it's now only an audio CD, since the data can't be read.

BuRnBoY
BuRnBoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 5/12/04 03:52 AM, mac5 wrote: I'm tellin ya, get a mac!!

GET A MACINTOSH!!!

Wow. I used all of the tags. Neato.

you even named yourself after it...

DragonSnare
DragonSnare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to No Longer a Fan... May. 12th, 2004 @ 05:32 AM Reply

Dude just close down the programs that pop up and open up your default cd player app it always works.

Flash games / Game creation tools

BBS Signature