00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2

32,313 Views | 234 Replies

Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 13:42:59

------------------------------------------------------------
--
tl;dr version
Old scripts are broken since the redesign so we are remaking the thread (old one is here).
Check this news post for a list of scripts!
------------------------------------------------------------
--

Hey everyone!

As of the redesign all the old GreaseMonkey scripts broke down. But new ones keeps being made and old ones are gradually getting fixed, and so I have locked the old thread and am hereby remaking it; this way we can start anew and just fill this up with scripts that are compatible with the new design!

What is GreaseMonkey?
I believe GreaseMonkey started out as an addon for Firefox. This addon allows for custom JavaScript to be run on any website which in turn allows for great customization possibilities. Since then most, if not all, major browsers have implemented some sort of support for GM scripts.

Note: These scripts are usually called userscripts nowadays since the term GreaseMonkey is only the name for the Firefox addon. However I think GreaseMonkey has become the standard term around here so let's just keep it :)

What are these scripts capable of?
Most anything you can think of that can be done on a regular website! Here are some examples of what old NG scripts did:
- A button next to each forum post which generated a direct link to it
- A text next to the posts on the forum which stated whether the author is online (these two features are now obsolete since they were included in the Newgrounds redesign!)
- An inline poster script which allowed you to reply to a post without opening a new page

This sounds awesome! How can I start using these scripts?
First off you need to make sure your browser can handle them:

Chrome users: Native support means you can simply install them. No setup needed :)
Firefox users: Install the GreaseMonkey addon
Others: See the Wikipedia article for more info

Where can I get scripts?
I will try to keep an up to date list here. Also keep an eye on this thread or search userscripts.org.

I want to develop my own scripts!
Hey now that's not a question! But I like your enthusiasm :)

First off you need to learn basic web development: HTML, CSS, and most importantly Javascript. Once you know that stuff you just need to learn some GM specific syntax.

When you are finished with a script upload it to userscripts.org and of course make a post here in this thread with the link (please also include a description/screenshot)!

---

I believe that is all I wanted to say in this first post! Enjoy :)

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 13:56:07

Sounds cool.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 14:03:40

It would be nice if someone remade the script that didn't make you open forum posting in a new page.

fu

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 14:06:09

At 1 minute ago, StalkerGuy wrote: It would be nice if someone remade the script that didn't make you open forum posting in a new page.

Yeah,this.I want this scrpt too since it helped a lot.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 14:10:29

wow your script is much better than mine alot...

Good work.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 14:31:12

You might want to examine the last page or so of the old thread, as I'm sure at least one new script was made to fit this recent redesign. I am currently using one of them, anyway. (The Remodder.)

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 15:44:29

Couple of scripts to make portalling easier:
Newgrounds Stretch: Adds the stretch button to Movies and Games and colours it so you know it's been added.
Newgrounds Start Collapsed: Exactly what the title says. Works for Movies, Games and Audio.

Both scripts tested in Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 15:55:15

I've compiled all the scripts released in the previous thread after the redesign. Sorry if I missed anything.

- ReModder by Xaotic
- Eagle Eye (beta) by Xaotic
- EasyBar by Xaotic
- BBS Preview Button by Xaotic
- BBSJump by Xaotic
- AutoForum by Xaotic
- Nostalgia Levels by Xaotic
- NewsJump by Xaotic
- Event Feed + by Xaotic
- Newsgrounds Star Collapsed by Snake-Arsenic
- Newgrounds Stretch by Snake-Arsenic
- Quick BBS by Xaotic
- Quote 'n' Reply by Xaotic

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 16:23:46

Nice, it seems YoungAndWise listed all my new scripts already. Just wish everyone wouldn't misspell my name :P. Haha, anyway, I'll write a description page for my scripts, since I host them independently. Back with links later.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 16:29:13

At 2 minutes ago, Xaotik wrote: Nice, it seems YoungAndWise listed all my new scripts already. Just wish everyone wouldn't misspell my name :P.

Whoops, sorry about that. I knew that I should have copy-pasted it instead of writing it myself.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 16:43:42

Cool, let's all use one to make posts without text because mods will get BUTTHURT

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 16:58:06

At 29 seconds ago, mandog15 wrote: WAIT where can I get it for chrome?

>retard

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-02-28 16:58:38

At 23 seconds ago, Sevkat wrote:
At 29 seconds ago, mandog15 wrote: WAIT where can I get it for chrome?
>retard

I concur.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 13:07:46

K guys, new script so this topic doesn't go stale. I haven't had an abundance of time on my hands, but I wrote a quick one.

Name: ReScorer
Description: Puts score information into actual words rather than a meter of stars. Yes, you can always mouse over the stars to see the info, but this just brings it a bit further into the spotlight.

It works on both Portal and Audio pages, oddly enough, the Art Portal seems to do this already...

Works with: Chrome, Firefox 10.0.2+

Download & Install

Screeny:

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 14:06:28

At 58 minutes ago, Xaotik wrote: Name: ReScorer

Works like a charm on Chrome. I'm going to love this script.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 14:31:05

At 1 hour ago, bgraybr wrote: Can you use Greasemonkey to replace images clientside? I want to see my old level icon, I'm gonna give it a try.

I already made that script a while ago. Here's the post about it on the old GM thread...

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 14:45:56

At 4 days ago, knugen wrote: ------------------------------------------------------------
--
tl;dr version
Old scripts are broken since the redesign so we are remaking the thread (old one is here).
Check this news post for a list of scripts!

He put the tl:dr version first so we wouldn't have to scroll through so shit he knew we wouldn't read. See, this guy right here...This guy right here is smart. Why can't all users be this smart???

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 15:17:54

I meant to mention. I'm certain knugen did not intend for this to happen, but you guys seem to be missing out on the 13 or so scripts made by Snake-Arsenic and myself. They are in fact redesign-compatible, but they were posted in the old thread.

YoungAndWise was kind enough to link to all of them. Make sure you read this post, to see if a script you'd like is already made.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 15:59:05

Hey guys, I was just thinking of a way that I could make the requested script (to remove avatars), and I thought to replace them with level icons like before.

That being said, I've updated NostalgiaLevels. I made the script insert two little lines of CSS rather than seek out each level icon and swap them, now, the script not only works faster, but it's a smaller download, and the level icons can be moved around the page without bugging out.

So here is NosalgiaLevels 2.0

Tested on: Chrome and Firefox 10.0.2

Pic:

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 17:12:31

At 14 minutes ago, mandog15 wrote:
At 3 hours ago, Xaotik wrote:
Hey man how did you learn all of that?

Practice, I'm someone who can learn really easily by taking things apart, so if you can too, read source code. Also, W3Schools is an excellent resource for learning anything about web development.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 20:45:41

Well guys, heres an idea I don't recommend trying because it would be really wasteful, but if anyone else wants to take a try at the inline poster, this concept image would probably work...

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 21:02:09

Attempt at proof-of-concept...

If this goes through, my idea works and I'll go build it, if not, its back to the drawing board...

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 21:10:51

Huh never heard of Greasemonkey before but after reading this i am so getting them

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 22:45:45

At 1 hour ago, Tateos wrote: Daww, the easy bar doesn't work for me.

What browser are you using, and what OS? I'm actually scripting atm, so if you tell me, I can try to find a fix since I have my web console enabled.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 23:19:55

Testing just one more part of a script, sorry for all these random posts guys...

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-03 23:40:48

Ok, well, EJR, I could make that script, but it would not work on User Pages. The reason for this is that HTML5 Storage (which I use because it PWNS cookies) is a bit picky about domains. The thing is cookies could solve this but here's a little comparison:

Cookies:
- Maximum of 4KB per domain (Not a whole lot)
- Maximum of 20 cookies per domain (NG uses about 8-10 for site features and ads)
- Need to use a function to parse out a little piece of the document.cookie string just to get your cookie

HTML5 Local Storage:
- Maximum of 5MB minimum per domain, some browsers allow up to 20MB, so a minimum of 1250 times the data
- Easy read/write/delete with built in JavaScript functions
- No restriction on the number of pieces of data
- Only downfall is www.newgrounds.com can't communicate to <username>.newgrounds.com

Also, I'm posting so hastily to test my quick and dirty inline poster. It's working well, just hammering out a few bugs. And yes, for those interested, I am calling the script "Inline Poster Ghetto Version"

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-04 00:45:25

is it possible to write a script that lets you bookmark certain bbs threads? i'd love to come back to this from time to time, but im afraid im gonna forget, and to be able to bookmark this thread would be awesome. Probably not, just wishful thinking, but all the same

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-04 02:20:06

At 1 hour ago, Lionel738 wrote: is it possible to write a script that lets you bookmark certain bbs threads? i'd love to come back to this from time to time, but im afraid im gonna forget, and to be able to bookmark this thread would be awesome. Probably not, just wishful thinking, but all the same

Ctrl+D

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-04 10:54:12

At 52 minutes ago, mandog15 wrote: I am a script kiddie :3

"A script kiddie or skiddie, is a derogatory term used to describe those who use scripts or programs developed by others to attack computer systems and networks and deface websites."

Hmm...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-03-04 11:21:10

At 26 minutes ago, Gimmick wrote:
At 52 minutes ago, mandog15 wrote: I am a script kiddie :3
"A script kiddie or skiddie, is a derogatory term used to describe those who use scripts or programs developed by others to attack computer systems and networks and deface websites."

Hmm...

I think he meant that he's kind of a noob, but he didn't want to call himself a noob. No offense mandog, we've all got to start somewhere...