New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cold-HawK
Cold-HawK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Apathy and doubts as a music produc Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

Like the title states, I have lost hope and confidence in my ability as a music producer. I just can't come up with ideas anymore, so most of my current creations sound like they are due to randomness. I scratch and scratch my hair, pull it out... yes, I try that hard - still I can't come up with any basslines or melodies on my midi keyboard. I give up mostly before FINALLY pulling something out, which amazes me sometimes. Where did it come from, really?

Another thing is that my music nowadays doesn't attract that many people. I get so few votes and reviews compared to yesterday (I mean 6 years ago) How could this be? My theory of this point is that... I don't put any love into it. Love could be compared with water. Water is the source of life, and like you know, if you water plants, they grow! No water... and they die. I suppose my music sounds dead nowadays. I don't take care of my labors (WIP music) What do you say?

Also keep in mind that in the last 4 years, my will to listen to music has been averaging close to zero. I OCCASIONALLY listen to di.fm but that is like 2 hours a month, maybe not even that. Besides that I have been feeling really apathetic since 2010, and am currently unemployed and have been since I dropped out of school which was when I was 17 years old. So could my apathy and music outdated brain be the other two causes of this state?

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Apathy and doubts as a music produc Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 03:26 PM Reply

Take a break and socialize with other folks. Perhaps it's time for a vacation?

lel

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Apathy and doubts as a music produc Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Focus on another hobby that you have for a year or two, maybe three. I burnt out from making any sort of music whatsoever in 2006 and didn't get back to it till 2009, and that break really helped. That's just my personal experience.

blackrose96
blackrose96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Apathy and doubts as a music produc Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 03:38 PM Reply

Yeah, I agree. You need to start doing something different.I find myself in a very similar situation from time to time. What I do is get out of my house for a while. Go write somewhere else for a change. Change is usually what you need to get out of that rut you are in. Write with a friend, that always sparks new ideas, maybe even something you would never have thought of doing. Get a job or something, take your mind of these things for a while.

BBS Signature
DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Apathy and doubts as a music produc Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 04:05 PM Reply

My best advice is to take a break, feed your mind, and learn more about music. The best way to do that is to listen to music. You said you barely listen to music anymore---well that my friend is why you can't come up with anything. When people write music, they tend to base it off different inspirations from other works of art (consciously or subconsciously). If you stop feeding your mind, it won't move forward. So for the next few months or so, cool down with writing and open up your ears to vast genres of music, and scour the net for articles and tutorials about production techniques and philosophies. Never quit or doubt yourself. Every creative person goes through writers block. I myself am going through that now in terms of electronic production. However, I never stop learning. I'm always on a forum or Youtube or some site learning more about my craft---so when the writers block goes away, I have more tools in my arsenal to employ. You need to re-invent yourself every single time you work on a project.

I know this has been a mouthful but please man, never give up. Music is a part of life so why give up on it?

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.