New Topic Respond to this Topic
LKnight
LKnight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-25 17:59:30 Reply

I'm looking to get into making my own audio and music, but I'd like some help from those who already do make their own. I'd like to create my own music and audio purely on the computer without any actual instruments. I've looked at FL Studio already and it looks alright, but a second, third, etc opinion would be great.

<3

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-25 18:03:12 Reply

get your own opinion all the good DAWs have good demos on their websites!

I'll list the major ones: fl studio, reason, ableton, pro tools.

im sure i forgot one or two.
AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-25 18:21:02 Reply

It was really easy for me to learn on FL, as there's a lot of tutorial material out there, but be sure to try a couple different DAWs to see what you like best.

Another good one is Reaper, which is pretty cheap. I hear it's great for the price, although I've never used it personally.

If you have any questions about features or functionality, don't be afraid to ask.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

blackrose96
blackrose96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-26 15:58:24 Reply

Fl Studio is more user friendly and easy to learn. This and VST plugins will help you get started. There is a lot of great software online if you have a low budget. I suggest using one for a while to get a feel for it and then trying with other programs to see if they suit your needs better.

BBS Signature
DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-26 16:15:01 Reply

My advice is to make a list of all the DAWs that appeal to you and test them out. One per week.

For example:

Week 1: FL Studio

Week 2: Ableton

Week 3: Logic Pro

Week 4: Reason

Week 5: Ableton

etc.

During each week, actually LEARN to get around the DAW. Watch tons of tutorials and read read read. If for example, you're halfway through a week and you know that the DAW is not for you, then move to another one. However, if you immediately fall in love with a DAW (like FL Studio ;) ) then stick with that one and learn even more about it.

If you want a personal recommendation, FL Studio has literally thousands of tutorials online and is very easy to use and learn. It has a very simple and fast workflow and seamlessly hosts 3rd party plugins. Don't let its simplicity fool you though---it's a super duper deep program. The amount of things you can do in it is outstanding. I've been using it for 2 years now (very consistently too) and I'm still learning new things every time I open it up.

Since you said you are looking to only create music using the computer, then FL Studio is for you. I feel like other DAWs like Reason and Logic Pro put more emphasis on the recording aspect of music production and it takes away from the workflow necessary for putting together an actual song.

Well good luck, and last but not least, keep on frequenting these forums. I wouldn't be where I'm at today if it weren't for the kind people here.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.

WingoWinston
WingoWinston
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-26 16:21:09 Reply

It depends on what type of music you expect to compose as well. I compose mostly classical and I'd have to say Finale does the best job for me. 2011 comes with great sampling included, the human playback is very helpful when I want a peice played in a specific manner, especially when it comes to baroque or jazz pieces. It also has a score which you just place your notes on as you go along. So if you have knowledge of musical theory and are going for ay classical or orchestrated approach, I'd say go for Finale.

A bearded musician whose talent is only bound by how suave his facial hair looks. Newest Song: She Brings Me Bacon

BBS Signature
AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-26 22:39:06 Reply

WingoWinston brings up a good point. What kind of music do you want to make? In theory, it doesn't matter, but FL is better for dance/house, while Ableton is great for glitch/electro, and Finale is a good one for classical. In the end, I've seen people pull off great classical from FL, but that's not what it's geared towards.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-27 02:56:15 Reply

At 1 day ago, jpbear wrote: get your own opinion all the good DAWs have good demos on their websites!

I'll list the major ones: fl studio, reason, ableton, pro tools.

im sure i forgot one or two.

You forgot CUBASE, a major player in the DAW software market.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-27 03:27:24 Reply

At 29 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: You forgot CUBASE, a major player in the DAW software market.

Also Reaper.

And I think MilkyTracker deserves an honorable mention ;D

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to New Aduio Artist Seeking Advice 2012-02-28 14:21:10 Reply

It's all about the bass and the movement.

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature