00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Destiny2Lover2 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Emoticon Collab!

77,346 Views | 502 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 22:47:11

ok so update

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-05 00:00:42

At 8 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: Version 2.0 (final version)
I have cleaned the lines, like a janitor..an drawing janitor.

Alright, I'll accept this, although I have to say, I did like the string of tiny broken hearts. Now that this is accepted, you're allowed to fiddle with it further if you so desire, but I'm content with where it's at if you are! Good job.

At 6 hours ago, lgnxhll wrote: heres mine

I appreciate the effort, and it's better than before, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to say no and relinquish your spot, it's just not up to standard. Thanks for participating though!

At 3 hours ago, Captain-Carrion wrote: Some people mentioned that i should consider making my picture easier on the eyes so here's this.
Let me know if your pupil's crave anymore alterations.

Dood, this is already so much cooler. PERSONALLY, I liked it when you had the rainbow-y zipper, I thought it looked hella cool, but I like it as it is now too, already a big improvement.

At 1 hour ago, Asperchu wrote: ok so update

I think what he meant is that the contrast was better when your background wasn't the same colour as the face. Good progress so far, but you've got a lot to add/clean up! Keep going :D

Okay, new progress list!

Open spots: 12, 27, 34
-
Done - 1 - test-object
2 - Kashi
3 - monsterparty
4 - JackDGreatest
5 - ZaneZansorrow
6 - DweebyHawkeyes
7 - OutcastLabs
8 - Decky
Done - 9 - Flowers10
Done - 10 - Sockembop
11 - Spaghetti14
12 -
13 - Lucky
Done - 14 - thekiwi
15 - CloudEater
16 - ZombieMonkey
17 - QQBistro
18 - PersonUnknown
19 - BlackMist75
20 - Bilalz
Done - 21 - Aigis
22 - DEADxLORD
23 - TheDragonBoy
24 - ReNaeNae
25 - Ashman
26 - MihaP
27 -
28 - Knocturne
29 - Asperchu
30 - Kinsei01
31 - creepyboy
32 - LegolaSS
Done - 33 - Lintire
34 -
35 - jagondudo
36 - MasterMerol
37 - Luwano
Done - 38 - Captain Carrion
39 - StevRayBro
40 - lovingthedark

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-05 03:51:15

At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 8 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: Version 2.0 (final version)
Alright, I'll accept this, although I have to say, I did like the string of tiny broken hearts. Now that this is accepted, you're allowed to fiddle with it further if you so desire, but I'm content with where it's at if you are! Good job.

AW YEAH ! because I have much time left before the timeline I will try to make even better !

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-05 04:24:22

thirtyfour

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-05 06:23:50

Sorry that I kinda claimed a piece then disappearing for a little while. I'm still creating the piece and will have something to show y'all in the next couple of days. I guess looking at the deadline you lot probably didn't give it a second thought, just thought I'd let ya know.

using the emoticon i picked in the hope that experience with it gives me better ideas for it.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-06 17:37:50

At 1 day ago, J-qb wrote: thirtyfour

bam

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-06 21:50:03

At 3 hours ago, J-qb wrote:
bam

I think it's well done, colours are nice, although generally, I was hoping for more innovative ideas concerning the faces. I'mma accept it, but perhaps think about revamping and adding more of a personal flair to it. Also, Lintire says he's gonna put dicks on it if you don't make it more interesting. His exact words were"make your entries a fucking interesting interpretation or there will be a big floppy dick drawn on them when submitted into the collab".

I cannot speak for the validity or integrity of these statements, as the flash is in his hands, and although I disagree, he can pretty much do whatever he wants. So as a PSA: MAKE YOUR PIECES CREATIVE/VISUALLY INTERESTING, ELSE RUN THE RISK OF HAVING A FLOPPY PENIS DRAWN ON TOP OF IT. Again, I don't know how I feel about that either, so I apologise.

At 1 day ago, Decky wrote: Sorry that I kinda claimed a piece then disappearing for a little while. I'm still creating the piece and will have something to show y'all in the next couple of days. I guess looking at the deadline you lot probably didn't give it a second thought, just thought I'd let ya know.

'Preciate the update, thx.

At 1 day ago, thekiwi wrote: AW YEAH ! because I have much time left before the timeline I will try to make even better !

That's some good stuff right there. Look forward to seeing v2!

Only spots left are 12 and 27, everybody.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-06 23:44:28

I'm gonna attempt 12

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 02:47:07

At 4 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: ...perhaps think about revamping and adding more of a personal flair to it.

Nope, sry. This is my entry, take it or leave it.

Also, Lintire says he's gonna put dicks on it if you don't make it more interesting.

I'm okay with that.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 05:53:30

At 12 hours ago, J-qb wrote:
bam

I really like this one :D

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 08:12:52

At 2 days ago, thekiwi wrote: Version 2.0 (final version)

may i suggest running it trough illustrator to smooth the lines and choosing duller colors

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 14:45:15

Aight! Six is all done. You may complain and I might revise since the deadline is so roomy.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 14:58:54

At 6 hours ago, Lucky wrote:
At 2 days ago, thekiwi wrote: Version 2.0 (final version)

may i suggest running it trough illustrator to smooth the lines and choosing duller colors

That looks great but I made my drawing how it is. I did think about how to draw this and a monochrome and rough (pixel like) drawing style was how I wanted it.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 17:27:30

At 2 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: That looks great but I made my drawing how it is. I did think about how to draw this and a monochrome and rough (pixel like) drawing style was how I wanted it.

Just so you know-
Monochrome: being or made in the tones of a single color

Also I agree with Lucky- the cyan and red are kind of retina-scarring and have no real relationship to each other. Why did you choose them?

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 20:26:20

I disagree with lucky and jess, I think the colors look good; maybe tone of em done a bit, but still keep em bright. I also much prefer the pixelated look to lucky's shoddy trace.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 21:24:39

At 19 hours ago, MajesticBob wrote: I'm gonna attempt 12

'Tis a strange, but interesting idea - is the guy's body sad that it's overweight? Anyway, I think you should get rid of the butt-chin line, the nose/shirt folds between his pecs, and revise the crotch line, it kind of looks like the guy wet himself. Also, the shirt looks more pissed off than sad, which is the emoticon you chose. You have made the crotch of a trim and muscular man and you need to change the shape to fit a large, rotund man. Revise! Anyways, if you spend more time on this and keep working on it, it'll make it in.

At 5 hours ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Aight! Six is all done. You may complain and I might revise since the deadline is so roomy.

Excellent! It turned out much better in the long run, I like it heaps. Totes approved.

At 12 hours ago, Lucky wrote: may i suggest running it trough illustrator to smooth the lines and choosing duller colors
At 3 hours ago, lovingthedark wrote: Also I agree with Lucky- the cyan and red are kind of retina-scarring and have no real relationship to each other. Why did you choose them?

It's nice of you two to offer input, but apparently he likes it like this, so it's no biggie. Thanks for the feedback though, it gets stressful to be the only source of it or whatever. Woooo...

At 39 minutes ago, J-qb wrote: I disagree with lucky and jess, I think the colors look good; maybe tone of em done a bit, but still keep em bright. I also much prefer the pixelated look to lucky's shoddy trace.

Hey now, don't gotta be a dick about it. Lucky was just tryin' to help out and offer input, I think it looks cool.

So anyways, the only open spot left is 27. Any takers???

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 21:43:43

At 49 minutes ago, J-qb wrote: I disagree with lucky and jess, I think the colors look good; maybe tone of em done a bit, but still keep em bright. I also much prefer the pixelated look to lucky's shoddy trace.

It was merely a suggestion, apologies.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-07 23:23:27

Spags, WIP. This an improvement? This what you meant?

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 00:13:45

I call 1! :D

aasdfasdfasdfasdfasfasdfasfasdfasdf asdfasdf

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 00:15:20

... Scratch number 1... hold on, though... I'm still definitely interested (I hope I have enough printer paper left, haha).

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 00:19:54

27 it is... I'll get back to you with the drawing in a bit.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 00:21:22

At 5 minutes ago, Hoboweasel wrote: ... Scratch number 1... hold on, though... I'm still definitely interested (I hope I have enough printer paper left, haha).

27 is all that's open.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 00:50:43

At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: Spags, WIP. This an improvement? This what you meant?

I suggest that you scrap this concept Bob because it isn't working all that well imo and his crotch is fucking scary.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 01:14:38

Alrighty then! Unless there are any others who don't make it in, all spots are now FILLED!
-
Done - 1 - test-object
2 - Kashi
3 - monsterparty
4 - JackDGreatest
5 - ZaneZansorrow
Done - 6 - DweebyHawkeyes
7 - OutcastLabs
8 - Decky
Done - 9 - Flowers10
Done - 10 - Sockembop
11 - Spaghetti14
12 - MajesticBob
13 - Lucky
Done - 14 - thekiwi
15 - CloudEater
16 - ZombieMonkey
17 - QQBistro
18 - PersonUnknown
19 - BlackMist75
20 - Bilalz
Done - 21 - Aigis
22 - DEADxLORD
23 - TheDragonBoy
24 - ReNaeNae
25 - Ashman
26 - MihaP
27 - Hoboweasel
28 - Knocturne
29 - Asperchu
30 - Kinsei01
31 - creepyboy
32 - LegolaSS
Done - 33 - Lintire
34 - J-qb
35 - jagondudo
36 - MasterMerol
37 - Luwano
Done - 38 - Captain Carrion
39 - StevRayBro
40 - lovingthedark

At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: Spags, WIP. This an improvement? This what you meant?

You're slowly going in the right direction, although I think you missed the point of my suggestions. By 'butt chin', I meant the butt chin of the sad face, which is also the guy's stomach. The vertical line doesn't make much sense. Also, 'fraid to say it, but Cloudy has a point. I think overall, the composition is kind of weak. But, that doesn't mean you can't participate. I think you should continue to work on this, but you'll probably have to work it from the ground up I think. I'm curious - what program are you using and what's your strategy to create linework? Maybe if I know what you're doing, I can give you tips on what not to do. I know paint.net has a basic line tool that you could try using that's much smoother than your technique already. And finally, where are his arms? Is he a double amputee, or are they supposed to be folded behind his back? I ask, because I used to do that a lot for the latter reason, and I recommend not doing that. I did, and it always just ended up looking lazy.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 01:50:53

At 49 minutes ago, CloudEater wrote:
I suggest that you scrap this concept Bob because it isn't working all that well imo and his crotch is fucking scary.

Yeah, look maybe the execution is bad and I'm working on it. But I think the concept is interesting. Great, scary crotch, got it. So bear with me here, worse case I don't make the collab and you can step up to the plate. But if i'm going down it's tooth and nail. I can make this work. There's plenty of time.

Spags, using GIMP, the lines look smooth until it gets Jpeg'd. I got a few ideas and I'm going to take your advice, now that I understand what you meant.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 01:55:16

Here's what I have so far... Is this fine, or should I scrap it? I was in a plague doctor mood.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 02:03:54

At 6 minutes ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Here's what I have so far... Is this fine, or should I scrap it? I was in a plague doctor mood.

Well I wouldn't draw a dick on it. I say keep it.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 02:50:02

At 41 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 6 minutes ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Here's what I have so far... Is this fine, or should I scrap it? I was in a plague doctor mood.
Well I wouldn't draw a dick on it. I say keep it.

I'll just have to take the former as a compliment. The background will be done later; I've got some stuff to do...

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 06:42:37

At 7 hours ago, MajesticBob wrote: Spags, WIP. This an improvement? This what you meant?

I think it's a cool concept actually. I'd say the actual crotch would not be visible, so you should consider filling it with the pant color and add a seam so it isn't completely plain.

About the lines, it looks like you're using the pencil tool, but instead you should use the brush tool. If I am wrong, then the only other things i can think of to get rid of the pixelated edges is to work on a much higher resolution before resizing to the required size and save as png instead of jpg.

I must say it's a remarkable improvement from your other attempt. I'm curious to see this coming along further. Good job.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 12:42:05

WIP. I can not seem to get a smooth line to save my life, so I'm going to try Sai and some other suggestions. I realize I will most likely have to remake this from scratch but the concept will be the same. This WIP is more of a sounding board as in: does the brighter shirt color work? crotch and butt tummy better? So I have a better idea of what to avoid what seems to be working.

The Emoticon Collab!