00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Emoticon Collab!

77,503 Views | 502 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 00:23:20

At 3 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Thanks for letting me join in with this collab its kinda an honor to be able to work with such established artists when I am not established my self.

Haha, dude, loosen up. We're all chill motherfuckers around here. As the asshole who is doing said flash, I say fuckin' go for it - postin' WIPs is all good.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 00:31:16

At 7 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Thanks for letting me join in with this collab its kinda an honor to be able to work with such established artists when I am not established my self.
Haha, dude, loosen up. We're all chill motherfuckers around here. As the asshole who is doing said flash, I say fuckin' go for it - postin' WIPs is all good.

You should however make clear they are WIPs. At least that avoids confusion. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 00:31:21

At 10 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: I was just wondering if I am able to post updates on my art with out submitting.

Of course you can :) That is half the fun in this forum. When people post their WIPs (works in progress), it enables other artists to compliment and critique the work so far, so that the artist can make changes or adjust anything needed before getting too far into a piece, to the point where going back and fixing a major mistake means recreating the entire pic.
And don't think that giving you suggestions means you have to follow them. By all means do your own thing, but we're here to help ;)

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 00:59:08

So as I said I would post a work in progress and I have to admit that I am liking this, I am not sure if I will put color in since color shit out of me and makes me confused. I have basically been doing this for about 10 hours but it does not seem much as well especial considering I went through different concepts.

The idea of it was that I chose the most plain smiley that got me thinking about the harlequin mask and what if this boring and seemly simple smiley was just hiding behind something. Well I think that was the thought process or I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from not playing enough Xbox.

Anyways here it is Work in progress I know I got a lot to do but I got two months. This is my first time doing pixel art, my first real time using gimp but please judge harshly I want to learn all I can so I can do this again once the collab has finished.

The Emoticon Collab!

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 01:03:20

At 3 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Anyways here it is Work in progress

Nice; from the tidbits I see so far, it looks like it has the potential to be some pretty cool pixel art.

Get fucked, Tre.

Hope to see more work on this over the span of the collab :)

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 01:35:56

At 8 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Anyways here it is Work in progress I know I got a lot to do but I got two months. This is my first time doing pixel art, my first real time using gimp but please judge harshly I want to learn all I can so I can do this again once the collab has finished.

That's a good attitude to have, yo.

Now for my opinion on your piece - I like the start you have. The pattern on the collar is fun to look at and the decay on the edge of the grey area is interesting. It's a stylistic thing, so it's up to you, but I don't know if I like the head as a perfect circle. I know the emoticon is a perfect circle, but the competition isn't necessarily about making it super reminiscent of the emoticon. Then again, you're far from done, so I don't know what it'll end up looking like! Also, I think the mouth is kind of boring. Even though it's supposed to be flat, which you've done, it's just a really big rectangle which I find to be distracting since it pops so much and doesn't really match to me. I don't really know what you're going for yet, so I don't have much else to say about it, but I'll just wait until the next update to throw in more of my opinion on it. Looking good so far, I see you're taking advantage of each pixel :P

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 02:02:02

At 54 minutes ago, Kashi wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Anyways here it is Work in progress
Nice; from the tidbits I see so far, it looks like it has the potential to be some pretty cool pixel art.
Get fucked, Tre.
Hope to see more work on this over the span of the collab :)

Thank you for the support .

At 21 minutes ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: Anyways here it is Work in progress I know I got a lot to do but I got two months. This is my first time doing pixel art, my first real time using gimp but please judge harshly I want to learn all I can so I can do this again once the collab has finished.
That's a good attitude to have, yo.

Now for my opinion on your piece - I like the start you have. The pattern on the collar is fun to look at and the decay on the edge of the grey area is interesting. It's a stylistic thing, so it's up to you, but I don't know if I like the head as a perfect circle. I know the emoticon is a perfect circle, but the competition isn't necessarily about making it super reminiscent of the emoticon. Then again, you're far from done, so I don't know what it'll end up looking like! Also, I think the mouth is kind of boring. Even though it's supposed to be flat, which you've done, it's just a really big rectangle which I find to be distracting since it pops so much and doesn't really match to me. I don't really know what you're going for yet, so I don't have much else to say about it, but I'll just wait until the next update to throw in more of my opinion on it. Looking good so far, I see you're taking advantage of each pixel :P

Thank you for your words of wisdom. The mouth was bothering me as well and I had no idea how to fix it but after reading what you said the idea just came to me and I can not wait to start putting the idea on paper or gimp. Thank you for the review it relay gave me a lot to think about and change but for the better.

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-01 04:11:16

Well I thought I would just update my work in progress. I think that its starting to get a personality now but still fitting with the emote. I am so happy about the mouth after causing my many problems I just decided to rip it off. Now its just on to the eyes with I think will give me the most problems.

Again this is Work In progress.

The Emoticon Collab!

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 07:00:07

I wanna take 14.

This is going to be good.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 09:28:39

i would love to have 26

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 09:46:23

Boom ! its done work on it without breaks and such.
*went down to eat some omnomings*

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 13:14:04

At 3 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: I wanna take 14.

I like your style, and I can tell you intended it to come out the way it did, I'm a sucker for minimal colour styles. However, it seems a little hasty to me. You could improve the heart shapes (or are they hoof prints) on his face to be more consistent, and also the blood/tears coming out of his eyes to form a pool - that part is pretty sloppy. If you make that look as aesthetically pleasing and styley as the rest of his head and stuff, that'll be awesome.

At 3 hours ago, issaq wrote: i would love to have 26

Sorry, but 26 is already taken. You can choose from 12, 18, 27, or 29.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 17:34:20

WIP for 6! Before I get any further into aesthetics, I just want to make sure my idea works with the emoticon, that the emoticon is apparent enough, etc. Those things. Please and thank you!

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 18:32:59

At 56 minutes ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: WIP for 6! Before I get any further into aesthetics, I just want to make sure my idea works with the emoticon, that the emoticon is apparent enough, etc. Those things. Please and thank you!

I'm positive it is and the drawing is fun too, but could you change the text placement / buildup? Those lightblue rectangles take way too much space and could easily be exchanged for something like this.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 18:35:04

At 7 minutes ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: WIP for 6! Before I get any further into aesthetics, I just want to make sure my idea works with the emoticon, that the emoticon is apparent enough, etc. Those things. Please and thank you!

Good stuff! I'm gonna try to start being more comprehensive in my critiques, so prepare for a larger than usual review.

The concept is funny and I like it. So far, the colouring is flat but good, I realise you haven't put much lighting yet, so I don't have much to say on it. It seems a little dark overall though, and you could tighten up the edges of the colour overall. Considering there isn't really a background, I think the fogginess works nice, although the whiteness of it bothers me, it almost seems like the hero on the right is being highlighted, when it should be about the main face.

I think the face you've chosen is captured adequately and cleverly, although it comprises a small area of the image, which leads me to my next point - the main thing I dislike about this is that the joke is just being smacked in my face. It's not a hard joke to get, especially with the current state of the art portal, and due to that, you end up wasting like a third of your vertical space with a boring rectangle/words. I know that it will be put in a collab where it will be viewed, perhaps briefly, before moving on, but it's still just too strong. I think you should make the image as good as it can get, and THEN worry about that aspect of things.

More specifically about the words themselves - the designer aspect of me just doesn't really like the typeface you're using. It doesn't really fit the spacey theme of your picture. I'd go for something more computer-y OR comic-y, check sites like Font Squirrel, dafont, or The League of Moveable Type (the last one might not have what you're looking for, but I remember Orbitron as being good).

The rectangles with the character descriptions are cutting off a big portion of the colouring in your picture. Try putting them on a different layer style, or at least lower the opacity, so it doesn't just look like some rectangles were slapped on the pic. The placement of the rectangles also bothers me - I don't like that the outer ones are touching the edge, and also, the center one overlaps with the left one. OKAY. SORRY ABOUT HOW MUCH I WROTE ABOUT THE RECTANGLES. Also, overall it's up to you, I was just stating my preference on the rectangles' presence in this picture.

So, uh, yeah, I can't really think of anything else to say about it.

TL;DR - Good concept and progress so far, work on composition concerning rectangles/text, make the main point of this picture bigger, lighten it up a lil bit.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 18:44:58

At 8 minutes ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: So, uh, yeah, I can't really think of anything else to say about it.

It fits the theme.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 19:10:11

At 24 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: So, uh, yeah, I can't really think of anything else to say about it.
It fits the theme.

Thanks Lintire! That's what I was asking! Okay back to work.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-03 22:20:52

I'm not sure whether or not I'm done with this. Probably I am.

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 01:07:14

At 5 hours ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote:
It fits the theme.
Thanks Lintire! That's what I was asking! Okay back to work.

Oh, you guys... Undermining my futile efforts to critique unfinished work.

At 1 hour ago, Sockembop wrote: I'm not sure whether or not I'm done with this. Probably I am.

Lookin' good, I like the protrusion of the lip. Also, the strong highlights and shadows of it make it pop. I'll take it! If you do want to work on it anymore, you still have a couple months, so no worries. I like it as is though.

Here's the most updated list everyone, for convenience! I decided to put "Done" in front of the finished people so I don't have to manually bold everyone that finished each time.

Open spots: 12, 18, 27, 29
Done - 1 - test-object
2 - Kashi
3 - monsterparty
4 - JackDGreatest
5 - ZaneZansorrow
6 - DweebyHawkeyes
7 - OutcastLabs
8 - Decky
Done - 9 - Flowers10
Done - 10 - Sockembop
11 - Spaghetti14
12 -
13 - Lucky
14 - thekiwi
15 - CloudEater
16 - ZombieMonkey
17 - QQBistro
18 -
19 - BlackMist75
20 - Bilalz
Done - 21 - Aigis
22 - DEADxLORD
23 - TheDragonBoy
24 - ReNaeNae
25 - Ashman
26 - MihaP
27 -
28 - Knocturne
29 -
30 - Kinsei01
31 - creepyboy
32 - LegolaSS
Done - 33 - Lintire
34 - Ignxhll
35 - jagondudo
36 - MasterMerol
37 - Luwano
Done - 38 - Captain Carrion
39 - StevRayBro
40 - lovingthedark

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 11:06:25

Ooh! I got 18! I-if that's no problem to anyone... Or if it's not taken...

From the darkest of caves...

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 13:46:00

At 1 day ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 3 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: I wanna take 14.
I like your style, and I can tell you intended it to come out the way it did, I'm a sucker for minimal colour styles. However, it seems a little hasty to me. You could improve the heart shapes (or are they hoof prints) on his face to be more consistent, and also the blood/tears coming out of his eyes to form a pool - that part is pretty sloppy. If you make that look as aesthetically pleasing and styley as the rest of his head and stuff, that'll be awesome.

I can see what you are saying :). The water is indeed simple, I tried many things out with this emoticon. The broken hearths on his head are a little ugly so Im going to fix that and clean a bunch of lines up.

you might see results soon.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 14:35:13

Version 2.0 (final version)

I have cleaned the lines, like a janitor..an drawing janitor.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 17:10:13

At 2 hours ago, thekiwi wrote: Version 2.0 (final version)

I have cleaned the lines, like a janitor..an drawing janitor.

awesome!

heres mine

The Emoticon Collab!

need programmers for game. pm me if your interested.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 19:52:51

Some people mentioned that i should consider making my picture easier on the eyes so here's this.
Let me know if your pupil's crave anymore alterations.

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 20:45:11

ALL THE WAY!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 21:36:01

At 49 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote: 29
ALL THE WAY!

WIP

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 22:00:29

At 24 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote:
At 49 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote: 29
ALL THE WAY!
WIP

Better or worse?

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 22:23:47

At 22 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote: Better or worse?

500 x 500

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 22:24:16

At 23 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote: Better or worse?

Worse. The cool colour contrast was doing the picture good.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-04 22:30:45

At 6 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 23 minutes ago, Asperchu wrote: Better or worse?
Worse. The cool colour contrast was doing the picture good.

Thank god I saved it before I cranked up the contrast.