00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Emoticon Collab!

77,348 Views | 502 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-27 19:24:27

At 4/27/12 01:53 PM, EJR wrote:
At 4/27/12 10:12 AM, J-qb wrote: jah
This looks cute 2

thanks man

At 4/27/12 03:55 PM, MasterMerol wrote: I didn't want this to get any worse so I just left it like this.
Sorry if I deviated a little from the theme.
They're sleeping with the (flying) fish... get it?

It looks great but yeah, the smiley isn't really that obvious anymore... maybe if you made the balloon sleepy too? I guess it's a bit late in the process to go changing stuff like that though.

At 4/27/12 05:48 PM, creepyboy wrote: WIP
I upload this wip more to show the concept, I know the hands look odd she's supposed to be doing a heart shape with her hands. I'd like some feedback and to know what other things to fix.

That's cute, much better than the other wip!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-28 04:01:10

Oh my goodness MasterMerol! Yours looks fantastic. I really like the interpretation.

Here is my current WIP! I've started the watercolor painting. This is a poor photograph so take the appearance of colors with a grain of salt. Anyhow I'm gonna add more color and wrinkles and age spots and I'm a bit stuck on what to do with the background. To leave it white, or what?

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-28 04:10:05

At 4/26/12 06:42 PM, Little-Eise wrote: A bit of an update. Feedback is always welcome.

Lookin' good so far :D I like the creepiness of the character.

Love the warmth and smoothness of the colour!

At 4/27/12 03:55 PM, MasterMerol wrote: I didn't want this to get any worse so I just left it like this.

This was much better than I anticipated it to be! I love the fish balloon, it's pretty swell. Great submission, Merol!

At 4/27/12 05:48 PM, creepyboy wrote: WIP

A good improvement from the last one. I'd still play more with variation of line weight if I were you, but you're on the right track.

Open spots:
8, 23, 28

Alright, since I've been so picky and made so many people redo their submissions or not accepted their submissions, I'm guessing you guys are gonna hold me to a pretty high standard. Here's a WIP concept. I am thinking of making a big encompassing background for it. What do you guys think? What is good/bad about it? Which side do you prefer?

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-28 06:12:47

At 4/27/12 07:52 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Great work, Jasper. I really dig your color choice, and it has a very calm elegance to it, despite the intensity of the fire/expression.

Thanks, It's got pretty much uniform value; if you desaturate it it just becomes a solid grey (see below), I guess that might help give it it's calm?

At 4/28/12 04:10 AM, Spags wrote:
At 4/27/12 10:12 AM, J-qb wrote:
Love the warmth and smoothness of the colour!

Thanks!

Alright, since I've been so picky and made so many people redo their submissions or not accepted their submissions, I'm guessing you guys are gonna hold me to a pretty high standard. Here's a WIP concept. I am thinking of making a big encompassing background for it. What do you guys think? What is good/bad about it? Which side do you prefer?

Looks good so far, I'd go for the left one with the big bulb. what do you mean by "big encompassing bg"?

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-28 13:25:12

At 4/26/12 06:42 PM, Little-Eise wrote: A bit of an update. Feedback is always welcome.

This is looking SO EPIC! It reminds me of my monkey deity picture I drew (i.e. very emaciated and creepy looking). I don't know that I have that picture on NG (I know I have it on DA), but I have an alteration of it on here. Regardless, however, I really like where this is going. I would maybe put some burning houses in the background or research 'trench warfare' to get a gruesome example for a background.

I honestly like the one that's closer up; the other looks like it's going to be hard to make a non-detracting background for. Still, I think there's nothing wrong with it... YET... Hahaha, just messing with you.

THIS is one nice piece, dude. It so solidly pertains to the emoticon, too. Great work!

THIS IS SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! I really admire your traditional media skills; I doubt I could come up with something half as awesome.

At 4/28/12 04:01 AM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Oh my goodness MasterMerol! Yours looks fantastic. I really like the interpretation.

Here is my current WIP! I've started the watercolor painting. This is a poor photograph so take the appearance of colors with a grain of salt. Anyhow I'm gonna add more color and wrinkles and age spots and I'm a bit stuck on what to do with the background. To leave it white, or what?

This is looking really good! I've only started with WC so I can't really offer any advice on how to emulate wrinkles, but I hear that there are actually WC pencils that might help you for fine detail. Other than that, though, I think you can also just work some lines over your bold colors with a subtle opacity and maybe continue in gradual layers (again, don't take the latter as solid advice; try seeing for yourself how it looks). Right now I'm kind of alluding the effects of WC to layers of transparent colors that one would add in photoshop with a brush tool. You know? Right now it's just difficult to see what the colors will turn out looking like, so I would definitely suggest a pallet or something. As for the background, I would just do a gradient; maybe a cliche Japanese background with the pink bubbles an sparkles or a derivation thereof would work.

Here's a video of some dude drawing with watercolors over it. I found it interesting: [link]

Here's my Newest edition.

The Emoticon Collab!

aasdfasdfasdfasdfasfasdfasfasdfasdf asdfasdf

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-28 15:18:48

Thank you every one :')

At 4/28/12 04:01 AM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Here is my current WIP! I've started the watercolor painting. This is a poor photograph so take the appearance of colors with a grain of salt. Anyhow I'm gonna add more color and wrinkles and age spots and I'm a bit stuck on what to do with the background. To leave it white, or what?

Looks pretty cool! I say red or another warm color for the background would go well with the theme. And if nothing works you can just make it black, you can't go wrong with a black background.

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-29 00:55:13

I finished it, guys. I'll try to do number 23 now.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-29 10:43:15

I'll give 28 a shot if you still need it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-30 02:02:52

WIP for 23. gotta fix his lowerhalf.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-30 14:40:29

Will this do for 28? Picture Link

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-04-30 22:46:28

Okay! All finished with 26. I am so tired of looking at it ahaha

I hope you enjoy.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 00:22:47

I think it's done. What do you guys think?

The Emoticon Collab!

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 01:22:47

Thanks all for the comments and feedback. Here's number three.

Higher quality.

The Emoticon Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 03:16:56

Well, I don't know if this fits the bill, but I've been messing around with this watercolor stuff enough to want to just give up completely. Here's what I have now...

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 03:26:19

At 5/1/12 03:16 AM, Hoboweasel wrote: Well, I don't know if this fits the bill, but I've been messing around with this watercolor stuff enough to want to just give up completely. Here's what I have now...

ILOVEIT!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 03:34:16

It was the best I could do given the time, goodnight.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 03:41:10

At 5/1/12 03:26 AM, Flowers10 wrote:
At 5/1/12 03:16 AM, Hoboweasel wrote: Well, I don't know if this fits the bill, but I've been messing around with this watercolor stuff enough to want to just give up completely. Here's what I have now...
ILOVEIT!

Wow... You actually like it?
Hell, here's a better version then (I did some tinkering).

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 08:21:24

Great new entries poeple especially love hoboweasel.

At 5/1/12 03:41 AM, Hoboweasel wrote: Wow... You actually like it?

Yeah this is seriously great, I liked the vibrance of the colors in the other version though....
Looks like this thing is starting to come together eh, you got an up to date list of finished/unfinished/open entries spags?

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 13:08:03

Woah, lots of watercolor submissions!!

You're waaay too modest, this is awesome and you know it.

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-01 22:40:52

anything still open?

Just testing things out l popcorn

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 01:00:26

Okay, so the deadline I set has officially passed, but due to the lack of all entries being completed as well as unforeseen logistical complications involving my upcoming college education, I am extending the deadline. I hope you all understand!

The new deadline is 11:59 PM EST Saturday May 12th.
To those who have not yet finished but have signed up, I will PM you shortly.
Open spots:
8, 24, 28

Done - 1 - test-object
2 - Kashi
Done - 3 - Little-Eise
Done - 4 - JackDGreatest
Done - 5 - ZaneZansorrow
Done - 6 - DweebyHawkeyes
Done - 7 - ZaneZansorrow
8 -
Done - 9 - Flowers10
Done - 10 - Sockembop
11 - Spaghetti14 (How embarrassing, eh?)
12 - ImpendingRiot
Done - 13 - Lucky
Done - 14 - thekiwi
15 - CloudEater
Done - 16 - ZombieMonkey
Done - 17 - QQBistro
Done - 18 - EJR
19 - Aigis
Done - 20 - test-object
Done - 21 - Aigis
Done - 22 - ReNaeNae
Done - 23 - JackDGreatest
24 -
Done - 25 - Ashman
Done - 26 - DweebyHawkeyes
Done - 27 - Hoboweasel
28 -
Done - 29 - Knocturne
Done - 30 - J-qb
Done - 31 - creepyboy
Done - 32 - LegolaSS
Done - 33 - Lintire
Done - 34 - J-qb
Done - 35 - jagondudo
Done - 36 - MasterMerol
37 - Luwano
Done - 38 - Captain Carrion
39 - M-Vero
Done - 40 - creepyboy

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 01:37:26

At 5/2/12 01:22 AM, EJR wrote: I'll also do 28.

By the way, ReNaeNae did 24 so that one isn't free.

No, I was talking to her elsewhere and she said she couldn't end up doing it. 24 is still free.

So free spots are now:
8, 24

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 01:39:29

At 5/2/12 01:37 AM, Spags wrote:

No, I was talking to her elsewhere and she said she couldn't end up doing it. 24 is still free.

So free spots are now:
8, 24

CRAP, you're right. I messed up the spot that she signed up and then gave up. 22 is open, not 24.

FREE SPOTS: 8, 22

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 11:44:53

At 5/1/12 01:08 PM, MasterMerol wrote: Woah, lots of watercolor submissions!!

You're waaay too modest, this is awesome and you know it.

Thanks! I don't know, though. I still think I could have done this differently; however, there are some spots that I like (e.g. the yellow lighting in the background).

At 5/1/12 08:21 AM, J-qb wrote: Great new entries poeple especially love hoboweasel.
Yeah this is seriously great, I liked the vibrance of the colors in the other version though....
Looks like this thing is starting to come together eh, you got an up to date list of finished/unfinished/open entries spags?

Thanks! But, there were more vibrant colors in the other version? I may have to go check that... Anyhow, I have the un-cropped piece in the art portal; I can just crop that where ever and keep the vibrancy.

At 5/2/12 01:00 AM, Spags wrote: Okay, so the deadline I set has officially passed, but due to the lack of all entries being completed as well as unforeseen logistical complications involving my upcoming college education, I am extending the deadline. I hope you all understand!

I kind of rushed a ton, but it's okay because I actually finished. And I understand what you mean by, "complications involving college" because I have those each semester. Haha!

CRAP, you're right. I messed up the spot that she signed up and then gave up. 22 is open, not 24.

FREE SPOTS: 8, 22

If 22 is the ':I' face, then you should message Masteraardvark. He's got this epic drawing of a dude holding a mug, and that emoticon is very much like the face on the mug. If not, I'd be happy to take either. I just got access to photoshop so I'll see what I can conjure up...

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 13:49:22

so my thing isn't good enough? :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-02 14:57:59

Aww i called 28 three days ago :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-03 01:29:34

At 5/2/12 02:57 PM, VaguelyWonderful wrote:

Aww i called 28 three days ago :(

Dude, that's bull. You totally got 28. I really like your spacey-smiley dude, too. Just PM Spags; I'm sure he'll get it sorted out.

Anyhow, I'm going to try and do 22... Here's a WIP.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-03 12:34:56

Still fiddling around with CS5. I'm glad I can borrow this mac, because otherwise my laptop doesn't even have the processing power to run my wacom bamboo tablet. Tell me what you guys think. Also, does this guy's face fit the emoticon correctly, or does it look too much like another? I'm shooting for 22, but he looks a bit disgruntled...

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-03 18:32:29

Can I do number 8?

"I'm an Androgynous Misogynous" -- Billy the Fridge

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-05-03 19:26:35

At 5/2/12 02:57 PM, VaguelyWonderful wrote: Aww i called 28 three days ago :(

Shit man, I'm totally sorry! Organisational error on my part. Yours is fine. :)

At 5/3/12 12:34 PM, Hoboweasel wrote: I'm shooting for 22, but he looks a bit disgruntled...

Yeah, he looks great so far, but he does look rather peeved for someone who's supposed to have a poker face. Maybe tilt the mouth a lil' counter-clockwise and make the eyebrows less expressive.

At 5/3/12 06:32 PM, Verspar wrote: Can I do number 8?

Sure, give it a go!