AnotherOtto
AnotherOtto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Ooh someone's certainly improving

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 06:54 PM, LegolaSS wrote: tick tock....

Wow man. The wood grain. The shadows. The reflected light. The ornamental details on the watch. Some nice touches. This is really great.

BBS Signature
Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 05:36 AM Reply

Dude, I think you work is really growing. Some real attention to detail, keep it up!

softsex
softsex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 03:06 AM Reply

really enjoy your latest works,
dramatic lighting really something that not many painter dare to commit into....
appreciate your effort in transfering the lineart into reality
probably u want to color some scenery soon (hidden valley, on top of the mountain, etc)

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 06:47 PM Reply

thanks all for the kind words... i was going to do a background scene yesterday but was side tracked with pancakes elsewhere...

but that day is here again... if you want me... i will be drunk somewhere...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 19th, 2013 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Oodles of Doodles i have managed to fit in at odd moments

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 21st, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Messing with opacity rather then flow (i know im messed up like that)... tryin to get a way of drawing something half decent for aigis comic jam.... go check it out if you dont know about it already!

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
asittingduckltd
asittingduckltd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

Nice Work...

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Feb. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 2/19/13 01:06 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Oodles of Doodles i have managed to fit in at odd moments

The stuff you do with reference and realism is always ridiculous. In a good way. Beautifully rendered and shaded and every time I come here and see it, I'm always so impressed. For some reason though, when you sketch or paint from the imagination, your work from reference doesn't seem to translate. I wish I could see your process on both ends, so I can understand the disconnect.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 06:46 PM Reply

At 2/23/13 05:22 PM, monsterparty wrote: The stuff you do with reference and realism is always ridiculous. In a good way. Beautifully rendered and shaded and every time I come here and see it, I'm always so impressed. For some reason though, when you sketch or paint from the imagination, your work from reference doesn't seem to translate. I wish I could see your process on both ends, so I can understand the disconnect.

i know completely... i want to move away from using references but im like a spoiled child and can seem to let go...

when it comes to doodling i tend to draw a few line and work from them... i dont really have anything in mind.
where as when i am using a reference i can see what i am trying to achieve... i will quickly knock some stuff up step by step to see if it helps...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
Kairos
Kairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Voice Actor
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 2/22/12 07:55 PM, LegolaSS wrote: So, Its about time i got my very own art thread... so here we go... im going to post doodles and scribbles and other random stuff in here... because i do a ton of stuff but never save it... lets see how it goes :3...

so lets start off with a referenced llama picture... because you know... i tell everyone else to draw them :3

That llama makes me wanna go travel with a bubblegum flavored slurpee to places both cool and unknown. I like it!

Exploring the stranger side of life...

www.indianakairos.wordpress.com

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 06:46 PM, LegolaSS wrote: i will quickly knock some stuff up step by step to see if it helps...

Here you go :) (please note this was done hastily)

1. Quick sketch of where stuff is going
2. blocked colour (or colours)
3. blend in highlight tones (this is with one colour on about 14~18 flow)
4. blend red/blacks into skin tone (about 4~6 flow)
5. block in some features
6. flatten the two layers and work with the eyedrop tool on the picture reworking everything.
7. still doing this
8. refine some bits, add colour pallet colours in when needed to keep colour up.
9. block in hair
10. fine bits and pieces.

then i would clean it all up and tidy bits... but i think this shows you how i currently do stuff.

i never used to like painting, and this "style" is my own combination of miniature painting and bits i pick up from others... i would normaly use a black undercoat for minatures then use a brown for the skin and work the layers up and then go back over with a dark wash.

any more questions feel free to ask. learning how other artists do things can sometimes help yourself improve :D

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 02:53 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Here you go :) (please note this was done hastily)

OKAY! I did a lot of pondering over this. The way you color is gorgeous, and it's really hard to look past it to look for things to say. After breaking down your image though, it seems like all the issues lie in your construction. I'm not sure if you used a reference for this or not, but I get the impression that when you do your initial sketch, you draw completely from instinct and not from intellect.. if that makes sense. I can see through your step-by-step that you start really rough and then fix things as you go along, but if you start your initial sketch with a good foundation, you'll save yourself the trouble of having to rework things later.

So, hoping that I'm saying something useful and not a bunch of stuff you already know, this is gonna be a long one. Hopefully everything gets across okay because I'm not great at putting this stuff together.

This.

1. The most noticeable thing from the get go is that her eyes aren't focusing on anything. They're looking off into different directions. It's a pretty easy fix once you recognize it. All it takes is remembering that eyes are made of spheres and then fixing them up accordingly.

2. Her facial features aren't in perspective. Just like anything else, the guidelines on the face should converge into the same vanishing point. Right now, her features are sort of put there unplanned. Actually... the eyes and the mouth appear pretty okay. It's mostly the nose that's doing some crazy stuff.

3. The features on her face have no dimension. I plotted points in the center of her head, her brow, the tip of her nose, where her nose meets her face, both lips, the dip before her chin, her chin, and then the bottom of her head. I traced a line through all of them, and it pretty much makes a straight line... it's curved but it's straight. The line on the face should have ridges in it that help identify it's contour.

4. Her face isn't symmetrical. The left side of her jaw is just totally missing. When constructing a face and putting it in perspective, it helps to think of it as a box. You can break it down to more complex polygonal planes from there, but the idea remains the same. Unless the angle of perspective is very sharp, the entire face plane, the front of the box, is seen.

5. And lastly, kind of going along with the whole box thing, the plane break in her face hasn't been acknowledged. Where the front of her face meets the side of her face, there should be a core shadow there. Looking at it again, I can see it very softly on yours, but it's not really in perspective/aligned symmetrically with her face.

Sooo yeah. I hope those were tips that you could use. It helps when constructing from the imagination as well as checking yourself when drawing from reference. A lot of the errors you would've probably caught as you went further into cleanup, but again, maybe having a more refined and well executed sketch in the beginning would help you avoid going over things later on.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 01:39 AM, monsterparty wrote: Ton of useful stuff that i will have taken on board and will reply to in time :)

Thank you monsterparty, this is very much appreciated.

This is something i started a while ago and really want to finish... i personally think there is something wrong with the face... but i have yet to flesh out all the details...

also i am trying a new way off coloring, after applying my "limited" pallet my colors tend to get gritty and loose volume so i am pumping it back in afterwards with the "color" layer option (for example the skin and flower have had this and the goggles a little bit)

Try and try again, of course i welcome all crit and comments be as honest as you can, if you hate it say so... if you like it that's also good, but try to tell me what you hate about it or like about it so i can try and fix it later on.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 6th, 2013 @ 01:24 PM Reply

the other day 50/50 posted a "how he paints stuff" in his thread, so i had a go...

I failed so hard it wasn't even funny... so this is my hybrid combination... i will try again with something a bit simpler next time..

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
thisismyboat
thisismyboat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 6th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

There's no denying your painting skills are good, but your line quality is really bad. It looks like you're either drawing everything by flicking your wrist or you're doing tons of tiny lines one after another. You should do some pages of just line exercises, because right now beyond your sketches looking sloppy you're probably also slowly damaging your wrist. Do entire pages of straight lines in one go, pages of ellipses with only one or two lines, pages of cubes, etc. It'll train you to start using your entire arm more than just your wrists, and it'll make your line quality look much better. Even better, get away from the tablet and work with ink on paper. It leaves you absolutely no room for error.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 6th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 3/28/13 01:38 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Try and try again, of course i welcome all crit and comments be as honest as you can, if you hate it say so... if you like it that's also good, but try to tell me what you hate about it or like about it so i can try and fix it later on.

This looks great. You know you're improving a lot when you're not personally happy with something that still looks awesome. Sorry I don't have any crit on this, but I need to say.. She looks a lot like somebody I know, and as I scrolled through the thread and saw it I almost shat my pants.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 6th, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

At 4/6/13 03:24 PM, Rumsworth wrote: almost shat my pants.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong pic. It's the one below. The latest.
but the other's still good stuff!

Jettyjetjet
Jettyjetjet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 05:00 AM Reply

Legolass, your klcking some real butt, im super impressed, your gonna go far. I wanna comment more later! Take care!

For free lessons on how to draw, check out my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/JettyJe tShow
I teach beginners too, awaken the true super sayin within! Or, get above 9000

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

so i said ages ago i wanted to do something landscapey... so this is a quick 30-40ish min picture...

there's most likely alot wrong with it... but its 2:30am and im going to sleep... not bad for been half asleep i feel....

until tomorrow i see what abomination i did last night :D

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 09:33 AM Reply

Painted on canvas size is 2" x 3"

nearly to scale picture

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Aug. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

Attempting to upload a non pixeled picture to appease the lord Lintire

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

I need to start doing art again... and no more "doodles!"

i started colouring and thought it would be a good idea to take a sketch shot... seems i managed to put a few colours down on the sketch layer :P

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 9/13/13 07:50 PM, LegolaSS wrote: I need to start doing art again... and no more "doodles!"

Now with a bit more colour!....

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 9/13/13 07:52 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 9/13/13 07:50 PM, LegolaSS wrote: I need to start doing art again... and no more "doodles!"

You're totes awesome Lego, you've grown so much

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
CosmicDeath
CosmicDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 16th, 2013 @ 04:21 AM Reply

Looking really good!

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 16th, 2013 @ 06:07 AM Reply

Digging the shading on this one. Keep it up!

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad Sep. 17th, 2013 @ 07:25 PM Reply

SIDE NOTE 1 - NSFW-ISH

SIDE NOTE 2 - If you are on a art forum at work, your bound to see some level of nudity anyway...

thanks for the kind words guys and gals.

Here is where i currently am with my "drawing from imagination"

hopefully this is a good representation of what i can do with only imagination and not using any sort of reference to which i have been so heavily relying on over the years... i want to move away from that...

so as i said, New start and hopefully see some more improvement...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature