New Topic Respond to this Topic
strikepravus
strikepravus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-22 13:28:09 Reply

It's been a really, really long time since I've made any electronic tracks- school and life and I've been making acoustic music, so I just slowly abandoned the VSTs and whatnot.

I want to get started again, just for fun. I used to use Reaper and Helix (beta) but now it appears that you have to pay quite the sum for it. Which is something I can't really afford on a student budget (that or stop eating for two weeks). I'm not opposed to paying, though.

Are there any programs that are free/relatively cheap out there, and user-friendly?

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-22 14:15:18 Reply

At 42 minutes ago, strikepravus wrote: Are there any programs that are free/relatively cheap out there, and user-friendly?

I'm pretty sure that every DAW out there costs above $400, but if you want a user-friendly one, go for FL Studio, which is considered the easiest program to learn. Also, since FL10 was released about a year ago, older versions probably cost much less now, so I suggest you go for FL8 or something.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-22 15:05:19 Reply

Hey there,

a quick search on wikipedia resulted in the following:
Free and open source systems
Ardour
Audacity
LMMS
MusE
Psycle
Qtractor
Rosegarden
Traverso DAW

I do want to stress I have no experience with any of these, but they fit the bill of 'affordable' pretty well, I'd say. :p

You could also try your hand on Renoise. It's not like, say, FL Studio in ways of building up music through patterns, but I've heard absolutely amazing results come out of it. It's relatively affordable at only 58 euro's for the full, legal version.
(Link: http://www.renoise.com/buy)

Just be ready to go through a gradual process of learning. I tried my hand on it once and it seemed like way fun, but it was so different than what I was used to, considering it's a tracker and I've been using FL Studio for almost all my producing lols.

Also, FL Studio is definitely not 400 bucks. The producer version is like 200 afaik and that provides mooore than enough. You can't buy older editions either, you buy the version (lite, producer, XXL) you want and on purchase are subscribed to a lifetime of updates on the products (I.E. FL Studio) you bought, so you can upgrade from 8 to 10.. for if you have been living under a rock or whatever. :p

Hope you get your hands on some nice software. Don't settle for crappy, overly simplistic stuff cause it will probably be a pain in the ass!

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

HannahHock123
HannahHock123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-24 04:06:57 Reply

I'm pretty sure that every DAW out there costs above $400, but if you want a user-friendly one, go for FL Studio, which is considered the easiest program to learn. Also, since FL10 was released about a year ago, older versions probably cost much less now, so I suggest you go for FL8 or something.

I agree! FL Studio is a user friendly one.

PsyhcoWalrus
PsyhcoWalrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-24 08:22:52 Reply

l know of two music making programs that are entirely free - you don't have to pay anything, and you don't have to download them since they are online. The first one is ClubCreate, which works similar to FL Studio, and you can choose different genre templates to work on. The second one is called Audiotool and it works much the same as an actual studio and has tutorials on the website.

As I've already stated, there is no need to download these or buy them - they are completely free and download free. I recommend the first one if you like using FL Studio. If you're a real serious musician though, I'd go with Audiotool.

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-26 02:17:36 Reply

Wrong. You don't have to pay anything at all as long as you can find a torrent for it. Try before buy, and if you like it, pay to support the nice developers. I am myself considering to actually buy a copy of FL Studio since I am one who is getting sick with roaming the sea. Sea sickness or whatever you call it.

YARR

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-26 02:47:14 Reply

At 27 minutes ago, Mohabot wrote: Wrong. You don't have to pay anything at all as long as you can find a torrent for it. Try before buy, and if you like it, pay to support the nice developers. I am myself considering to actually buy a copy of FL Studio since I am one who is getting sick with roaming the sea. Sea sickness or whatever you call it.

YARR

We do not discuss pirating here, if you want to be taken seriously as a musician, buy your software.

The FL Studio demo is very unrestrictive compared to other DAWs, there is no reason whatsoever to pirate it to "Try it" instead of just downloading the demo.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-26 06:56:52 Reply

At 4 hours ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 27 minutes ago, Mohabot wrote: Wrong. You don't have to pay anything at all as long as you can find a torrent for it. Try before buy, and if you like it, pay to support the nice developers. I am myself considering to actually buy a copy of FL Studio since I am one who is getting sick with roaming the sea. Sea sickness or whatever you call it.

YARR
We do not discuss pirating here, if you want to be taken seriously as a musician, buy your software.

The FL Studio demo is very unrestrictive compared to other DAWs, there is no reason whatsoever to pirate it to "Try it" instead of just downloading the demo.

Of course it's a warning. I had no doubt someone would reply with something like this.

I know a lot of pro level musicians who has never even paid a single buck on their way to that level. So actually buying the software has nothing to do with how serious the producer is. But anyways... I said I will probably buy an original copy soon, so no need tell me go buying it again. Fine?

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-26 08:30:18 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Mohabot wrote:
At 4 hours ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:

YARR

Of course it's a warning. I had no doubt someone would reply with something like this.

I know a lot of pro level musicians who has never even paid a single buck on their way to that level. So actually buying the software has nothing to do with how serious the producer is. But anyways... I said I will probably buy an original copy soon, so no need tell me go buying it again. Fine?

Yeah, well, I'm about the last person here to contentedly agree with the mods.. but I'm just going to refer to the fact that there is this possibility of being discrete and PMing the guy and, well, not 'endangering' the site, in broader perspective, with your talk about illegal activities.

I know a lot of pros who didn't pay a dime aswell. I believe it wasn't a referance to how serious they were at directly making music, but how serious they were about the music they were making. It's entirely different.

I could go write out mainstream trance and it would sound like pretty 'srs bsns', but the process and emotions involved in the production of something that simply doesn't appeal to me would best be described as 'taking the piss'.

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Getting back into making tracks 2012-02-26 09:26:12 Reply

mohabot just scored himself a ban. we do not support piracy on newgrounds.

any discussions about where/why/how to obtain pirated materials will be met with a ban.

la-yinn, you are toeing a fine line. just because we have a PM system here, it doesn't make it ok to be used for illegal activities, and i would appreciate it if in the future you didn't suggest that users abuse the PM system. i remember when newgrounds didn't have a pm system, it would be a shame for it to disappear.

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature