gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Writers block 2012-02-21 03:36:13 Reply

Hi NG!

I am trying to write a EP but i cant get the "feel" right in my melodys. I am not getting the "buzz" i used to get when i got somthing i liked (when i got the buzz i would sit devolp a track for ten hour straight). So how do you guys clear your mind get a emotion put it into a melody and the put that melody onto paper (so to speak).

I have been feeling the writer block coming for a while now, ive been trying to deny it until now.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Writers block 2012-02-21 03:55:05 Reply

I had really bad writers block a month or two back, I wasn't able to sit down and write anything for like 2 months straight, even though I wanted to.

I managed to break it in the end by doing a couple covers. Covers don't require a whole lot of innovative creativity, but the feeling of getting an instrument in my hands again and actually recording/writing something (even if it wasn't original) really seemed to get me moving again. It's worth a try.

And I'm not sure if my next suggestion is really a cure for writers block or a spawning pool for melodies... but I also find watching movies/tv shows, or listening to music or even playing video games that really have an emotional impact help me come up with new ideas for songs. I have quite a few songs, as well as ideas still going through the works that were spawned out of a teary moment in a game or show, and a few that were spawned after getting inspiration from some of my favorite music.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Writers block 2012-02-21 04:14:53 Reply

At 9 minutes ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Good advice

I might just chill and watch some movies and leave it for a week. See if that helps

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Writers block 2012-02-21 05:05:05 Reply

I know how you feel bro.
You should just leave it for a few days and listen to other music of the style you like.
Before, I used to find free time and just sit in front of a computer and experiment, which often resulted in a crap music.
So I'd suggest you just to wait, and the idea will come by itself.
I think the main problem is that most of the time I get awesome ideas is when I'm about to sleep, and when I get up, I realise it just vanished.
But don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll get over it. :)

l-MaNTiS-l
l-MaNTiS-l
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Writers block 2012-02-21 12:48:50 Reply

At 9 hours ago, gavkay21 wrote: Hi NG!

I am trying to write a EP but i cant get the "feel" right in my melodys. I am not getting the "buzz" i used to get when i got somthing i liked (when i got the buzz i would sit devolp a track for ten hour straight). So how do you guys clear your mind get a emotion put it into a melody and the put that melody onto paper (so to speak).

I have been feeling the writer block coming for a while now, ive been trying to deny it until now.

Inspiration and Creativity comes in flows and sparks...all things come to an end and new things start.....by this i mean when your block cause your flow to be *blocked* step away take a break do other creative or inspirational things even if its watching ur fav show playing MW3 w.e it is listening to songs take a hike just get your mind off of it....when you come back to work station ( mins hrs days weeks months) later and still feel like that flow is blocked start a whole new project and perhaps during that new project youll come across a sound or simple bass line melody etc and BAM!!! THERE GOES THE FUCKING LIGHT BULB and you find your rock blocking the flow and make it part of your flow...

Moral of the story- creativity is not consitant it comes in flows and sparks keep your mind fascinated and creavtivy will make its presence when needed

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Writers block 2012-02-21 14:38:40 Reply

In all honesty, I think the best thing to do in your case would be to take a few days, maybe a week or two, off and just enjoy other activities. This'll help rid you of the 'why can't I, I have to..' mindset.

Also, when you do feel like writing out a tune again, DO NOT start with working on your EP. Just make a casual loop or something even more trivial, just for kicks. Most of the people I know who have experienced writer's block (including myself for huge amounts of time) was because they had developped plans and projects and started pressuring themselves - not to do something, but to do something GOOD - and it killed off a lot of creativity.

I'd say the watching tv / listening to other music is definitely a good way of taking it easy on yourself. :-)

Good luck finding that inspiration again mate, but above all, enjoy it!

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound