Be a Supporter!

Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread

  • 177,572 Views
  • 3,876 Replies
New Topic
PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 08:44:45

At 5/2/12 07:40 AM, NogginmenAnimations wrote: </pretendingtoknowwhatI'mtalkigabout>

No no, you're right. Everytime they run into a problem they add another dimension. And given that the problem they started with was a unifying theory of the laws of physics (from macro to micro)... it's by no means an elegant solution.


BBS Signature
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 08:55:41

I still can't believe SJD produced for Arrested Development.


BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 10:55:51

At 5/2/12 04:23 AM, PiGPEN wrote: >SJD believes String Theory bullshit.
Zero proof, just fact-unsupported hypothesis that rely on other fact-unsupported hypothesis to make sense.
String Theory is grant bait, nothing more.

I do believe that the interconnectedness that all of the philosophers talk about will only be found scientifically in higher dimensions, yes.

By "unsupported," you most likely mean "invisible," which stems from the fallacy of attaching intrinsic value like color or volume to things that you see. In order to even comprehend dimensionality, you have to let go of that rather plebian notion.

So there. Just debunked your debunk. Care to tell us what your theory is, Ryan?


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
KillBillvolume2
KillBillvolume2
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 11:05:42

I love it how I left for like a day and a half and came back to all this inter-dimensional gobbledygook.

This is the part where I call somebody out to change the subject.

uh...uh...FUCK KILL BILL.

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 12:01:29

At 5/2/12 12:23 AM, DocterCerebro wrote:
At 5/1/12 03:47 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 5/1/12 03:23 PM, DocterCerebro wrote: something desperate because he wants to be relevant

avoid (what I'm not doing) - dodge, duck, evade, as in moving away from a threat
ignore (what I am doing) - affecting no movement or action because the stimulus in question does not matter

KillBill, there are some Gas/SJD disses in there somewhere, it's not just all space stuff. Good stuff, as I gather.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 12:04:35

At 5/2/12 10:55 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: By "unsupported," you most likely mean "invisible,"

No i mean "unsupported" as in by "facts". You faggot. Science isnt just making up cool ideas, that's scifi youre thinking of.
String Theory isn't even testable. It's pretty much a mind exercise for these maths/physics people. It's not a credible science, at best it might lead to some mathematical discovery that can be applied to computing or economics.


BBS Signature
DocterCerebro
DocterCerebro
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 12:20:58

At 5/2/12 12:01 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 5/2/12 12:23 AM, DocterCerebro wrote:
At 5/1/12 03:47 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 5/1/12 03:23 PM, DocterCerebro wrote: something desperate because he wants to be relevant
avoid (what I'm not doing) - dodge, duck, evade, as in moving away from a threat
ignore (what I am doing) - affecting no movement or action because the stimulus in question does not matter

Do we really need to go here?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/ignore?__utma=1.1981527746.13221 86876.1335931925.1335975270.55&__utmb=1.3.9.1335975286263&__
utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1335838891.53.7.utmcsr=google
|utmcc n=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=diction&__utmv=-&__utm k=22599483

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 12:48:28

At 5/2/12 12:04 PM, PiGPEN wrote:
At 5/2/12 10:55 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: By "unsupported," you most likely mean "invisible,"
No i mean "unsupported" as in by "facts". You faggot. Science isnt just making up cool ideas, that's scifi youre thinking of.
String Theory isn't even testable. It's pretty much a mind exercise for these maths/physics people. It's not a credible science, at best it might lead to some mathematical discovery that can be applied to computing or economics.

LOL! You idiot. You sit there and say it's untestable, then in the same sentence you say it can lead to a practical application in a hard science? Do you even know what you are talking about? Let me help you out here.

If we are ever to have time travel, or figure out what wormholes really are, then extra dimensions are absolutely necessary, because quantum theory doesn't make sense in the 3rd dimension. However, add an extra dimension, and superposition makes perfect sense, wormholes becomes actionable, and a host of other paradoxes become solveable.

I asked you what your theory was, and you said nothing. Means you have nothing. Answer that question in your next post or I'll just go back to ignoring you because you have run out of relevant things to say.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
AxTekk
AxTekk
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 13:00:46

I kinda agree with SJD AND PiG on this. If that's possible.

It's true that science becomes unfalsifiable if you constantly repair theories so that they're in line with facts that falsify them (the "almost right" heuristic bias at its best), but I can understand the logic in deducing higher dimensions. I just think that we're getting above our station pretending to know how many there are. Practically speaking, we can use three dimensions as a working hypothesis excepting that it won't always cover every result (enter quantum mechanics).

Ethically speaking, this could translate to a kind of pragmatic quasi-relativism like act utilitarianism IMO. Essentially, we don't have enough information to support any grand unified theory, so we're really left in the realms of impotent speculation, which is fun but not massively scientific.

It's like how you could argue that as we do not accurately know the confines of the uni/ multiverse, we can postulate it's big enough that intelligent life exists somewhere out there, BUT in practicality it doesn't make a whole lot of difference as we wouldn't be able to make contact yet. So you're best off assuming there's none but being (skeptically) open to surprises. Ditto God, the afterlife and celestial teacups IMO.

BigRed
BigRed
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 13:07:39

Results going up late tonight yo.


BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 13:31:48

At 5/2/12 01:00 PM, AxTekk wrote: I kinda agree with SJD AND PiG on this. If that's possible.

Look, the pig would still have us believing the world is flat because that was "untestable" until ships were invented. This entire discussion of whether the multiverse is real or not and refuting theories on the basis of untestability is completely bunk because we do not even have the vehicle by which to test these things. We may have to develop light speed travel before we can even begin to test some of these ideas.

So I refuse to consider any viewpoint that states that something is automatically bunk because it cannot be tested. The entire point of our theoretical science today is to create the mode by which to test for hypotheses, and string theory, as well as some of its counterparts, are getting us closer.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
AKACCMIOF
AKACCMIOF
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 14:52:47

At 5/2/12 01:31 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: So I refuse to consider any viewpoint that states that something is automatically bunk because it cannot be tested. The entire point of our theoretical science today is to create the mode by which to test for hypotheses, and string theory, as well as some of its counterparts, are getting us closer.

I think the issue is more that if a theory is unverifiable, it is probably 1) not terribly applicable to every day life and 2) of very questionable validity. Theoretical science is all great and can provide some good ideas to test, but if it can't be empirically tested then it kinda stops being science, so I have my reservations about string theory.

On the other hand, it is a highly elegant and efficient theory that has lead to some interesting progressions in physics. I think you kinda have to be a bit sceptical about taking any grand unified theory as fact though, probably the universe obeys a set of rules we haven't even thought of yet. That seems to be the case with pretty much every scientific breakthrough so far, we just mess with things we don't understand and find out something cool (or cooler than anything) we could have never imagined.

I guess that's the fun of science, the way we are constantly humbled and surprised by the universe.


Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.
Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature
PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 15:53:53

At 5/2/12 12:48 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: LOL! You idiot. You sit there and say it's untestable, then in the same sentence you say it can lead to a practical application in a hard science? Do you even know what you are talking about? Let me help you out here.

Yes, happens all the time. Scientists doing mind experiments and generally fucking around in whatever field they enjoy can lead to a discovery that's actually useful to engineers which leads to actual applications in the real world.
See: every piece of equipment in a hospital with an on/off switch.

If we are ever to have time travel

Just because you WANT time travel doesnt mean it's something that is possible.

or figure out what wormholes really are, then extra dimensions are absolutely necessary, because quantum theory doesn't make sense in the 3rd dimension. However, add an extra dimension, and superposition makes perfect sense, wormholes becomes actionable, and a host of other paradoxes become solveable.

Yes an extra dimension is a worthwhile theory explaining the behavior of quantums to explore.....however it has been explored for 50 years now and has only lead to more and more problems within itself. It's debunked itself by constanly springing holes. There are different theories out there, one which may be correct and could use the funding and attention that string theory is siphoning.

I asked you what your theory was, and you said nothing. Means you have nothing. Answer that question in your next post or I'll just go back to ignoring you because you have run out of relevant things to say.

Why would i have a theory? Im not a physicist. I like the 1D theory though, it's certainly cleaner.

At 5/2/12 01:31 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: Look, the pig would still have us believing the world is flat because that was "untestable" until ships were invented.

You're retarded, one can go to the sea and see a curvature to the horizon.... there was hard data to support the earth's roundness before it was able to be proven concretely. What string theory lacks is hard data.

This entire discussion of whether the multiverse is real or not and refuting theories on the basis of untestability is completely bunk because we do not even have the vehicle by which to test these things.

>Vehicle.
The fuck are you even talking about? A vehicle? Seriously?

We may have to develop light speed travel before we can even begin to test some of these ideas.

You're seriously fucking retarded, we CAN send things at light speed. That's what the fucking hadron collider is for. That's not why string theory is untestable. It's untestable because all the shit it's come up with requires something like 12 dimensions and a physical particle for fucking TIME and another one for FUCKING ANTI-TIME....ANTI-TIME.

So I refuse to consider any viewpoint that states that something is automatically bunk because it cannot be tested. The entire point of our theoretical science today is to create the mode by which to test for hypotheses, and string theory, as well as some of its counterparts, are getting us closer.

You're a fanboy of a mind experiment you take no part in. Gb2 sucking Michio Kaku's dick.


BBS Signature
PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 15:59:50

Also; Neil Degrasse Tyson could kick Michio Kaku's ass.


BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 16:10:39

At 5/2/12 03:59 PM, PiGPEN wrote: Also; Neil Degrasse Tyson could kick Michio Kaku's ass.

Your stupid ass had one positive thing to say in there...that you're a fan of 1D because it's "cleaner." Well, I'm a bigger fan of your mom's pussy when it's cleaner too, but that isn't an excuse to value one theory over another.

First of all, please don't attack me on grammar and word usage, because you make yourself look stupid. One of the definitions of "vehicle" is "a framework that carries an occupant to a location." An automobile is a vehicle. A movie can also be a vehicle carrying a person's status to a higher place. The vehicle I referred to would be the ability to test multidimensional theory, which has not been created yet, and which never will if everybody thought like you.

You would have undoubtedly interpreted the curvature of the horizon (by the way, what?) as a drop off into space had you been born in feudal times. All of your refutations to things that can not be tested as yet are completely retarded. You tell me, "prove this," I say, "unprove it" we go in circles. And I don't want to dance with you; your mom already locked up the next 3 songs.

What else did you say...nothing really worth commenting on. You can't understand multidimensional theory so you dismiss it for something "cleaner." How pedestrian. You are the least intellectual "intellectual troll" I have come across. Ever.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 16:20:48

At 5/2/12 03:59 PM, PiGPEN wrote: Also; Neil Degrasse Tyson could kick Michio Kaku's ass.

False.

Michio Kaku is of Asian descent, and is therefore automatically proficient in Kung-Fu.

Also, I hate your guts, but you really are an awesome troll. Everything you have ever said, true or not, has been for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of someone. I think it's hilarious that this is your one true calling in life, since it is not applicable in the real world in any way.

Repost, don't care:

Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 20:28:33

At 5/2/12 04:10 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: What else did you say...nothing really worth commenting on. You can't understand multidimensional theory so you dismiss it for something "cleaner." How pedestrian. You are the least intellectual "intellectual troll" I have come across. Ever.

Historically the best theories of physical laws, the ones we're taught and use, fit within a single line of mathematical elegance.
String theory isn't elegant, string theory is star trek slash-fiction.


BBS Signature
KillBillvolume2
KillBillvolume2
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 21:51:11

At 5/2/12 04:20 PM, Teqneek wrote:

Repost, don't care:

Am I the only one who find's mickey's drawings borderline creepy? lol
I know they aren't intended to be, maybe it's just because I don't know him like that.

ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 22:59:48

At 5/2/12 09:51 PM, KillBillvolume2 wrote: Am I the only one who find's mickey's drawings borderline creepy? lol
I know they aren't intended to be, maybe it's just because I don't know him like that.

I find his drawings to be quite accurate.


BBS Signature
KillBillvolume2
KillBillvolume2
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-02 23:13:56

At 5/2/12 10:59 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote:
At 5/2/12 09:51 PM, KillBillvolume2 wrote: Am I the only one who find's mickey's drawings borderline creepy? lol
I know they aren't intended to be, maybe it's just because I don't know him like that.
I find his drawings to be quite accurate.

Random flying emergencies ftw

Gasmasq
Gasmasq
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 02:28:33

At 5/2/12 02:52 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: the universe obeys a set of rules we haven't even thought of yet. That seems to be the case with pretty much every scientific breakthrough so far

Quantum physics would have us believe that there will always be something to find if we're looking.
String theory would have us make random shit up to feel special.

My main point tho, in response to your post, is that the (somewhat spoof) philosophy of Discordianism postulates that there is no order in the universe and thus, no disorder. One cannot have one without the equal and opposite, and as we try to understand our universe we create our ideas of "normal" and thus, "order". Anything outside of our spectrum of the norm is "disorder". That's an issue caused by language.
In truth, the universe was not created in a grid pattern, no one is 100% the same as anyone else and our culture changes from year to year, thus showing growth, not order.

There is no set of rules other than that which we create for ourselves. The universe is made of far more than our limited 5 senses can perceive of it. The notion that we can ever fathom the vastness of space and time is ignorance compounded with pure arrogance with a touch of an entitled god complex thrown in for good measure.


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature
BigRed
BigRed
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 03:33:16

Hurm. Turns out I still need to scramble for a few more votes. Results not tonight, but soon!


BBS Signature
Methreee
Methreee
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 07:02:58

Holy shit that space photo is great!

Gasmasq
Gasmasq
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 07:10:23

At 5/3/12 03:33 AM, BigRed wrote: Hurm. Turns out I still need to scramble for a few more votes. Results not tonight, but soon!

No worries, Red. You're doing a great job.


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature
MickeyMao
MickeyMao
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 09:45:32

At 5/2/12 09:51 PM, KillBillvolume2 wrote:
At 5/2/12 04:20 PM, Teqneek wrote:

Repost, don't care:
Am I the only one who find's mickey's drawings borderline creepy? lol
I know they aren't intended to be, maybe it's just because I don't know him like that.

I find them creepy too.
Bill, you should see the sketches of you that cover every inch of my walls. Now that shit is Mr.Dressup creepy.


BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 10:35:06

At 5/3/12 07:10 AM, Gasmasq wrote:
At 5/3/12 03:33 AM, BigRed wrote: Hurm. Turns out I still need to scramble for a few more votes. Results not tonight, but soon!
No worries, Red. You're doing a great job.

Suck up much?

So you and Ms. Lambourn can go over in the corner with the rest of the Neocon gun loving Bible thumping throwbacks that would have science completely give up on any new discoveries. And I say this as a Roman Catholic who prays to Jesus and Mary. Classic arrogant white lower middle class attitude - if I can't understand it, then it's not even worth exploring. Can't look past this widget in this assembly line...somethin might shake up my worldview, goshdarnit *spit chaw*!

LMAO cuz it's so predictable. We could get into another discussion about how your attitudes are all slaves to your economic upbringing. Community college tards thinkin they can tell pHds not to explore. That their theories aren't "elegant" enough. LOL.

Well a wiser man than us all once said, "Everything looks like a failure in the middle." String theory is a failure in the middle, at least to you two morons. Too bad you guys are failures for real. And the tragedy is that it's because of your own choice of mindset.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 10:36:46

At 5/3/12 10:35 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: And I say this as a Roman Catholic

Haha


BBS Signature
NogginmenAnimations
NogginmenAnimations
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 10:52:24

At 5/3/12 10:35 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: So you and Ms. Lambourn can go over in the corner with the rest of the Neocon gun loving Bible thumping throwbacks that would have science completely give up on any new discoveries.

At the same time, even the scientists developing string theory realise that it isn't all-encompassing. You can just blindly accept every new theory that comes across, y'know? I agree you have to keep your mind open to things that may alter your world-view, but the opposite is equally damaging.

Also I think this has stopped even being about science and it's now a dick swinging contest about who can crap out the longest paragraph.
(There is no way in all the kingdoms of Hell I am reading through all that garbage)

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Member since: May. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 11:47:40

Not to crap on one of Milton's 2 religions but the easy rule of thumb to tell whether a physics theory has potential is to check whether or not the military are trying to make a bomb with it.
String Theory is as credible as the Bible.


BBS Signature
KillBillvolume2
KillBillvolume2
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-03 11:54:58

At 5/3/12 09:45 AM, MickeyMao wrote:
At 5/2/12 09:51 PM, KillBillvolume2 wrote:
At 5/2/12 04:20 PM, Teqneek wrote:

Repost, don't care:
Am I the only one who find's mickey's drawings borderline creepy? lol
I know they aren't intended to be, maybe it's just because I don't know him like that.
I find them creepy too.
Bill, you should see the sketches of you that cover every inch of my walls. Now that shit is Mr.Dressup creepy.

I have a few sketches of you on my wall, too, bb. And some nude photoshoopz MMMMMM