• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

NewGrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 - "Breakdown"
Sponsored by NewGrounds
Due date âEU" 17th of March

For more information about NewGrounds Stick Showdown before you join, read the Sign-Up Thread http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1285157
You can join the competition at anytime until the end. Just read that thread and sign up here with an example animation.

Staff
Judges
Pro category - SSJBryando, Peter Satera, Terkoiz
Intermediate category -SSJBryando , Pluto, Luccas Bode
Beginner category - SSJBryando, Pluto, -Hawk-

Collaboration Compiler: -Hawk- (TeamXHawk)

Please read rules and description carefully before you start animating. Breaking some of those rules may get you disqualified (because we simply can't use your entry).

DESCRIPTION AND PLOT
Introduction (you must not animate this in your entry)
Tom Parker's son, a "gifted" child with supernatural powers that he can hardly control has been taken away and put in a secured insane asylum where he's kept on medication 24/7 to stop him from destroying everything around him. After he finally discovers where his son was taken, Tom decides to rescue him, whatever it takes. But as soon as he breaks into the asylum the boy is completely out of control and his psychic powers start affecting everyone in the building. The doors to all the cells open and the patients come out, acting like zombies and attacking Tom, who is an intruder. During all this time, the boy is locked in his cell, unaware of what he's doing.

Your task (what you have to animate):
Please pay attention to the task. We had some problems the previous round and some people had to do some fixing. You don't want to waste your time fixing things. =]

The main heroâEUTMs color is#47566B (blue). He's trying to get to the end of thecorridor where his son's cell is. You will animate him fight the "zombies" (NOTE: They are not really zombies so don't make them look like that. No brains hanging out or anything like that.) while lots of crazy things happen around him. The lights can change color suddenly, objects can appear out of nowhere and change shape and what-not. Literally anything can happen as long as it's cool and entertaining. Also, if you want, the hero can be affected too by the boy's powers. You can animate him being stressed and getting dizzy from the boy's powers. However, he can't communicate with the boy!
The boy must not appear in your entry!
The main hero only has a pocket knife like this one :
Flash CS3 - http://www.fileize.com/view/c6f8c190-216/
Flash 8 - http://www.fileize.com/view/8026af4e-8b4/
You can use this one or improove it if you want. He can pick up other weapons on his way but he must drop them by the end of your entry. He must still have his knife by the end of your entry. He can kill his opponents. He must not be killed or heavily injured during your entry.
At the beginning of your entry animate the hero coming in through the left of the screen and at the end going out through the right. This is so we can link the entries in the collab.
Sorry for having so many rules but as you can see there are more DO's than DON'Ts. :)

TECHNICAL DETAILS AND RULES
First and probably most important rule of all : Do not show your animation on public forums or websites until the collaboration for the round in which the entry is is released else you will be disqualified. When you finish, you must Private Message me a view link for the .swf to show the judges and a download link for the .fla to use in the collab.
Frame Rate: 24 or 12 FPS
Resolution: 640x480
Minimum length: 10 seconds for beginner, 20 seconds for intermediate, 30 seconds for professional category
Due date: 17th of March 2012
Please use our custom V-Cam (AS2) :
CS3 : http://www.fileize.com/view/c95f6ba5-8c2 /
Flash 8 : http://www.fileize.com/view/90edac54-c62/
Please rename your symbols to "symbol_yourname" to make the compiling process easier.
Fullbody is not allowed for human characters. Stick and hybrids (semi-body) are allowed only.
You can add music in your entry, but it will only be shown with the music you added to the judges. For the collab, we will replace your music with the collab soundtrack.
You can add an intro to your entry (eg.: "-Hawk- presents : SPT Round 1 Entry). The entry with the intro in it will be shown to the judges, but the intro will be removed in the collab.
No advertising anywhere in your entry
No sexual themes

Good luck everyone ! The results of the current round as well as the current overall scoreboard will be announced a few days after the end of the round.
NOTE: If there is something that is NOT mentioned in the rules or anywhere in the thread that you want to know, please ask in the thread! :)

LuccasBode
LuccasBode
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 04:33 AM Reply

holy s---, this round is boss

remember me alot of the F.E.A.R. series

Armorstick
Armorstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 01:47 PM Reply

Woah round 3 started
Man.. i am busy with school and my Computer died :O!
(lol)

AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Im sooo in this round. Im gonna do my best an nothin is gonna stop me (ooh ice cream :D), too bad im going to be mentored after this round ;n; but good luck to everyone and THANK YOU HAWK :D

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

Credits to Jessepinwheel for the sig :)

BBS Signature
Xrebellion
Xrebellion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 07:54 AM Reply

Time to get serious.Gnna give my best in this one not like round 2 .
tbh i didnt really like the plot of round 2

Yunguy1
Yunguy1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM Reply

OH SHIT, SON! Time to test my effects skills. >:3

Animator since 2008

Been on my career for 5 years, got a job as an animator, and an official paid guitarist.

RawGreen
RawGreen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:05 PM Reply

I hope you didn't think that was "the boss" in my previous entry o.0

*sigh* I was not looking forward to having to work on my next entry so soon.
Better get to it...eventually this week anyways.

Student Animator and Sound Designer.

Yunguy1
Yunguy1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I'm quite disturbed by the due date and how we can't communicate. BUT!, can we have the dad talk to the boy, but the boy does not respond? Like, "Son! It's me! Stop!", then the boy just does something. But doesn't respond. Can we do that?

Animator since 2008

Been on my career for 5 years, got a job as an animator, and an official paid guitarist.

TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 07:11 AM Reply

As long as you don't show the boy, yes. The boy could be just a voice in the dad's head. That would be cool. :)

At 9 hours ago, Yunguy1 wrote: I'm quite disturbed by the due date and how we can't communicate. BUT!, can we have the dad talk to the boy, but the boy does not respond? Like, "Son! It's me! Stop!", then the boy just does something. But doesn't respond. Can we do that?
AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 21st, 2012 @ 03:14 PM Reply

Man im so busy right now, im in 2 comps. both with cash prizes, with so much HW and projects plus i have to do my full length (but the full length can wait), but doesnt mean i still wont do all :D. Oh and Hawk who won round 2, i really wanna know and has round 1 come out yet?

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

BBS Signature
ScottyV98
ScottyV98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 21st, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

Sorry to sound a bit noobish, ive never tried to participate in any newgrounds competitions before. So my question is, how do I sign up? And what does it mean by example animation? Can I just point to something Ive posted on newgrounds previously?

If your not crazy, your not normal.

BBS Signature
TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:04 AM Reply

Yes, the example animation is something that you've posted before and by the looks of it you're probably beginner as a stick animator.

At 8 hours ago, ScottyV98 wrote: Sorry to sound a bit noobish, ive never tried to participate in any newgrounds competitions before. So my question is, how do I sign up? And what does it mean by example animation? Can I just point to something Ive posted on newgrounds previously?
TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:05 AM Reply

AlfaAnims, I've mentioned before that Round 1 beginner collab comes out the 25th this month. Intermediate on the 28th and Pro comes out 1st March. I don't have all the results for round 2 yet so I can't give you the final scores.

AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 8 hours ago, TeamXHawk wrote: AlfaAnims, I've mentioned before that Round 1 beginner collab comes out the 25th this month. Intermediate on the 28th and Pro comes out 1st March. I don't have all the results for round 2 yet so I can't give you the final scores.

OK :D *goes away and animates NGSS round 3*

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

BBS Signature
TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Allright, still waiting for round 2 reviews from SSJBryando in pro, inter and beginner, Pluto in inter and beginner and Peter Satera in pro. Shouldn't take much longer I guess.

At 1 hour ago, AlfaAnims wrote:
At 8 hours ago, TeamXHawk wrote: AlfaAnims, I've mentioned before that Round 1 beginner collab comes out the 25th this month. Intermediate on the 28th and Pro comes out 1st March. I don't have all the results for round 2 yet so I can't give you the final scores.
OK :D *goes away and animates NGSS round 3*
killakam98
killakam98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

Im not missing this one

axel69
axel69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 5 days ago, LuccasBode wrote: holy s---, this round is boss

remember me alot of the F.E.A.R. series

so what about it

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 25th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 2 days ago, axel69 wrote:
At 5 days ago, LuccasBode wrote: holy s---, this round is boss

I've never tried sticks before, so ill give this a shot, just for fun.

None

TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 27th, 2012 @ 10:27 AM Reply

The BEGINNER Round 1 Collaboration is out. Unfortunately, not one of our best as in number of participants. Still, show some support! ^_^ http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590898

Round 1 Intermediate should be coming out on the 29th. Professional is coming out sometime between 1st and 3rd March.

AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 27th, 2012 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, TeamXHawk wrote: The BEGINNER Round 1 Collaboration is out. Unfortunately, not one of our best as in number of participants. Still, show some support! ^_^ http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590898

Round 1 Intermediate should be coming out on the 29th. Professional is coming out sometime between 1st and 3rd March.

YAY! I watched it, i laugh at my part that it was speed up and u fixed it ^u^ i liked monkeys part 2 :D but Intermediate and Pro will probably blow our minds away

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

BBS Signature
nixful-Autistic
nixful-Autistic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 28th, 2012 @ 04:06 AM Reply

How does sign up works? thanks beginner here.....

TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Feb. 28th, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 6 hours ago, jNixful wrote: How does sign up works? thanks beginner here.....

You post one of your animations and we decide what category you're best for. Simple as that. :)

TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 1st, 2012 @ 11:06 AM Reply

Guys, sorry about this but we may have some delays with the releases. Unfortunately, I have another thing to do which involves a lot of effort for Sunday. It's a competition that I'm in, unrelated to animation but very important for my future really.

Anyway, it's something that can't wait, so we'll just have to put the collabs off for another few days. Both the round 1 collabs left will DEFINITELY be released by the 7th. Sorry again.

I hope you're all doing good with your round 3 entries. :) I'll be doing additional animation for both round 2 and round 3 intermediate collabs starting next Monday.

TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:29 PM Reply

In other news, Pluto, our intermediate and beginner judge just had to quit for the rest of the competition so, since I'm not making round 2 and 3 entries I've decided to take his place, at least for round 2. I know I'm not going anywhere for sure. XD

Also, here is a round 1 intermediate collab sneak peek for making you wait.

P.S.: Show some activity, guys. The thread is starting to look like a blog.

Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3

eviltie
eviltie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:18 AM Reply

Haven't started R3 entry yet, busy with R1 Outro. Sincerely hope to finish it on this Sunday.

AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:57 AM Reply

Hawk my entry is already 35.5 seconds long and is looking pretty good in my opinion and rawgreen nice screenshot :D

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

BBS Signature
TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

Hehe, Eviltie, it looks like me and you really took on more than we could handle this year lol But, oh, well, there didn't seem to be anyone else out there more reliable or up for the job. =\ Endo was saying something about doing additional animation for round 3 but he might be busy at the time.

AlfaAnims that is great news! I really liked your round 2 entry. You've progressed. I'm curious what you came up with this time. :)

AlfaAnims
AlfaAnims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, TeamXHawk wrote: Hehe, Eviltie, it looks like me and you really took on more than we could handle this year lol But, oh, well, there didn't seem to be anyone else out there more reliable or up for the job. =\ Endo was saying something about doing additional animation for round 3 but he might be busy at the time.

AlfaAnims that is great news! I really liked your round 2 entry. You've progressed. I'm curious what you came up with this time. :)

thx hawk but now my progress might be a bit slower becuase of the last few parts are fully of action, cinematics and angles. Hopefully i can do it in time though :D GL everyone, especially eviltie ^u^

RIP LuccasBode ;n;

BBS Signature
TeamXHawk
TeamXHawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 12:13 PM Reply

The results for round 2 intermediate and beginner categories are in : http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1288593/2#bbspost2379940 3_post_text
Will be back soon with professional results.

LuccasBode
LuccasBode
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Stick Showdown - Round 3 Mar. 8th, 2012 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Everyday i come here to see if the results for round 2 pro are released, the anxiety is killing me LOL
Btw, almost finishing my part, really close