Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

Yea yea, always go on about his 'serious roles' without me in them, see if I care.

Robin Williams as a serious actor

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 08:15 PM Reply

Robin Williams really does deserve more credit and less Family Guy cut scenes than he gets. The man has a natural energy and gift for comedy. And really, when you think about it some of his comedy roles demanded powerful acting chops. In Mrs. Doubtfire you had to beleive his desperation to be be around his kids. In The Birdcage he was a man with conflicting loyalties who had to work up the gravitas to stand up to Gene Hackman. And Fisher King, where would I even start?
And I liked one hour photo for what it was. But the whole time watching all I could think was that if they had made that movie even one year later all the non-digital cameras would have just been confusing.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 20 hours ago, steph2568 wrote: I realized that after watching Dead Poets Society.

Funny how the dude who killed himself went to play Wilson from "House"

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6 hours ago, Otto wrote: Also him as the riddler? Yes please.
No, thank you. Paul Bettany would be way better.

Nope, if they make another Batman movie after this one then I feel as though he would make a great Riddler. It could also show more of Batman's detective side with the movie focusing on him figuring out who the Riddler will kill next based on clues.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 09:48 PM Reply

Robin Williams as The Riddler in the next Batman movie? What do you think?

Nononononononono

He's a good actor, but that's not at all a good role for him. He's too old, his voice is too deep and monotone-ish, and his facial structure is too squared.

I think the ideal actor for Riddler would be Jude Law with an American accent and a bit more of a Jim Carrey personality, because Carrey did a good job but was a little too hyperactive.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At A few seconds ago, DirtyMeatball wrote:
I think the ideal actor for Riddler would be Jude Law with an American accent and a bit more of a Jim Carrey personality, because Carrey did a good job but was a little too hyperactive.

Carrey just acted like a clown and nothing about his portrayal was chilling. Also, the Riddler isn't always portrayed as being very young and it isn't like Williams is a wrinkled up old prude. Robin nails the chilling villain who thinks he is innocent, which is perfect for the Riddler.

He has worked with Nolan before as well.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 54 seconds ago, Cootie wrote:
At A few seconds ago, DirtyMeatball wrote:
Carrey just acted like a clown and nothing about his portrayal was chilling.

Yeah, he was actually pretty inaccurate as the Riddler, i'll give you that one

Also, the Riddler isn't always portrayed as being very young and it isn't like Williams is a wrinkled up old prude.

The Riddler is usually younger than 60.

Robin nails the chilling villain who thinks he is innocent, which is perfect for the Riddler.

The Riddler doesn't think he's innocent, he just doesn't give a shit what he does because he considers himself to be better than everybody else because he's a genius, and so he plays mind games and builds puzzles and whatnot. He's hardly chilling- more of a "Haha, fuck you, what are you gonna do about it" type of character.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, DirtyMeatball wrote:
The Riddler doesn't think he's innocent, he just doesn't give a shit what he does because he considers himself to be better than everybody else because he's a genius, and so he plays mind games and builds puzzles and whatnot. He's hardly chilling- more of a "Haha, fuck you, what are you gonna do about it" type of character.

It would make a cool movie though. Batman thinking, "Holy shit, what is this guy up to?" And desperately trying to solve the Riddle before Gotham is contaminated by something.

Also, what about Williams as Hugo Strange? Eh? :)

Robin Williams as a serious actor

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:40 PM Reply

It would make a cool movie though. Batman thinking, "Holy shit, what is this guy up to?" And desperately trying to solve the Riddle before Gotham is contaminated by something.

Also, what about Williams as Hugo Strange? Eh? :)

Strange seems like a much better role for him, or possibly Ra's al Ghul if Liam Neeson didn't already have that one.

GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

He was also good in Jakob The Liar. I still remember that as the first serious movie I saw him in, and that's something I've been meaning to re-watch for some time too.

'Cause you're feeding the fire within me...
Twitter | NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Cootie wrote: Has anybody ever seen Robin Williams in a dramatic role? The man has serious acting chops.

Most people only know him from his silly roles such as Good Morning Vietnam, and those movies are all good fun. But when he plays a serious role he is even more fantastic. You should see him as the killer in Insomnia, or the obsessive in One Hour Photo. Seriously, he will creep you the fuck out and send a chill down your spine. If you haven't seen either of those movies you should look them up right now.

Patch Adams was a good example too. That movie is fantastic and the best thing is, he can still be Robin Williams but the role fits drama in perfectly. Like Jim Carrey in the Truman Show. That's another good example.

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
Klik
Klik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 11:46 PM Reply

I really like him in general, I heard he was an avid gamer and liked games like half life and pen and paper role playing games.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 9 hours ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: I think the ideal actor for Riddler would be Jude Law with an American accent

Jude Law wouldn't be bad, I guess. certainly better than Williams. Still, Paul Bettany would be great as the Riddler. I was thinking maybe Allan Cumming, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite right.

And Williams is indeed too old. seriously.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
dltg3
dltg3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM Reply

he was absolutely terrifying in One Hour Photo

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 09:30 AM Reply

That feel when this guy will die in your lifetime ;__;

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:01 PM Reply

I feel so stupid because "One Hour Photo" is one of my brother's all time favorite movies! I have never seen it myself, but have heard that it is one of Robin Williams' best serious movies! I did see "Dead Poet's Society" and thought that was good. It's funny, because there's another thread here about Jim Carrey and they are somewhat similar actors as I just mentioned because they both started out in funny movies and then went on to serious movies and it worked for them.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

At 55 seconds ago, Ericho wrote: It's funny, because there's another thread here about Jim Carrey and they are somewhat similar actors as I just mentioned because they both started out in funny movies and then went on to serious movies and it worked for them.

and yet... Jim Carrey and Robin Williams have never been in a movie together.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Robin Williams as a serious actor Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

Yeah he's a serious actor. I'm pretty sure only some of his movies are comedy.
He's kinda like Will Smith in a way. He can star in serious shit and comedies very well.

op do your research before trying to shock people with facts that you didn't realize.

BBS Signature